** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Mis-playing my opponent?

Nade

This hand happened a few days ago and i've just been thinking whether it was just a maniacal play or the thoughts were right. Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 handed) Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver) CO ($105.55) Button ($114.10) Hero ($97.80) BB ($51.50) UTG ($114.60) MP ($102) Preflop: Hero is SB with 5diamond.gif, 4diamond.gif. 2 folds, CO raises to $3.5, 1 fold, Hero calls $3, BB calls $2.50. Flop: ($10.50) 3spade.gif, 2diamond.gif, 9diamond.gif(3 players) Hero bets $6, BB folds, CO raises to $21, Hero raises to $100.3 (All-In), CO calls $73.30. CO is a tight player, only going to showdowns 2% of times and only raising 1 in 6 pre flop. I felt this gave me some fold equity even if he had a big flush draw he couldn't call as the odds weren't good enough. But also my imagine was also quite tight - i don't often go AI unless i have the goods so i used all these thoughts to make a play. I figured he could only call with a set or maybe big pair and even if he does call i have a lot of outs. Turn: ($199.10) 2heart.gif(2 players, 1 all-in) River: ($199.10) Kheart.gif(2 players, 1 all-in) Final Pot: $205.10 Hero has 5d 4d (one pair, twos). CO has 8d Ad (one pair, twos). Outcome: CO wins $205.10. He used his entire timebank before calling with 1second to go, which i think highlights that he made a bad call. He obviously put me on a big hand or he'd have snap called. I really wouldn't make the play against any player, this guy is very tight for short-handed but was it a bit OTT, did i misjudge my thoughts that his calling range is very small?

Re: Mis-playing my opponent? Perhaps the image he has of you had a bit to do with the call. $73 to win the $132 allready in the pot if he hits the flush is'nt that far of the mark, add to that that he thinks the 3 other aces might win him the pot as well and the odds are right. Added to that, if he has yoiu down as the kind of guy who reraises big with you draws he might well have you dominated with a smaller flush or a non suited straight draw.

Re: Mis-playing my opponent? I agree Glceud he's getting nearly 2/1 the correct odds for his flush draw, obviously he wasn't to know that Nade was holding 2 diamonds and therefore wasn't getting the correct odds, if he just thought his flush draw was his only live outs.

Re: Mis-playing my opponent? My image definitely isn't or wasn't one of going all in or betting big with draws which factored in my decision to go AI. The other way i look at it is if i was in the shoes of my opponent. Been put all in by a guy who's tight and bet the pot once and didn't seem concerned by my re-raise, i don't quite have 2:1 and i only have a flush draw. Plus my outs could be further reduced if they have a set with a diamond. I wouldn't call with all this information.

Re: Mis-playing my opponent?

Short handed cash table at reasonable stakes- if you have the image of only betting when you have the nuts you must be losing a small fortune. Perhaps he showed you too much respect?
I obviously don't have that image then :lol ;) SteveO - I thought it was +EV too, thanks :ok