** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Top Scorer

I just bet Mario Gomez at 31-1. Most places have caught on to the fact that Gomez is most likely Germany's second starter, and a more natural goalscorer than Klose at that, but many still give better odds on him than on Podolski or Kuranyi, which is plain wrong. I played at pinny, now moved to 28-1 there. There are probably some more good bets out there (Benzema, perhaps?), but I just know too little about the other teams..

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Top Scorer Well obviously Torres is much more likely to win it than either Gomez or Benzema, but 13-1 isnt a very attractive price compared to the Gomez line or 42-1 you can get for Benzema. Isn't Benzema expected to play alongside Henry ? I've followed France so little... He'd play if I were manager !!

Re: Top Scorer Just heard the great news that the Messiah Henrik Larsson, the King of Kings is in the squad for Sweden for this years tournament. Anyone know what odds you can get for him to be top scorer?? So happy at this news, will be great to see wee Henrik play again :nana:nana:nana:nana

Re: Top Scorer

Just heard the great news that the Messiah Henrik Larsson, the King of Kings is in the squad for Sweden for this years tournament. Anyone know what odds you can get for him to be top scorer?? So happy at this news, will be great to see wee Henrik play again :nana:nana:nana:nana
I have 34 on him at Centrebet... not sure its good enough...:ok

Re: Top Scorer A few things to consider... Spains 2 strikers - Torres and Villa, similar players, all the talk is with Torres because a lot of people see him week in week out in the Prem, but David Villa has scored 20 goals this season in all comps despite Valencia being desperately low in the Primera. He can be found @ 20/1 on Betfred. Christiano Ronaldo is short in the goalscorer market, but Portugal only have 3 strikers in the squad for the Euro's (they have been lacking in this department for a long time). Ronaldo has been playing a strikers role for United in recent weeks and you could put 2 and 2 together and think he may play up top for the Portugese. They have a fair few wingers in the squad including Quaresma, Simao and Nani. I'd say real value @ 11/1 on Ronaldo.

I just bet Mario Gomez at 31-1. Most places have caught on to the fact that Gomez is most likely Germany's second starter' date=' and a more natural goalscorer than Klose at that, but many still give better odds on him than on Podolski or Kuranyi, which is plain wrong.[/quote'] Shall be taking this one too. Gomez, that is. Saw him priced up at 28/1 I think it was with willhill and for a consistent striker its deffinitely worth a punt :ok

Re: Top Scorer Henrik Larsson is 80/1 with Gamebookers/Party Bets (no e/w betting though). Mario Gomez is a general 20/1 and lower now with most UK books! :eek On paper, Groups B and D are the weakest groups and I think Germany and Spain should score a hatful of goals in the group stages.

Re: Top Scorer Gomez is 22 years old, won't need much rest :) Still 25-1 at pinnacle, btw. Either way my 31-1 is looking good :) Also, I think Germany really wants to top the group to avoid Portugal in the quarters. I do agree that Villa might have value, probably more than Torres..

Re: Top Scorer Pick a player who is likely to be the n#1 striker of the team & who is likely to play nearly every game. 1. Proven scorer 2. Team is in a easy group 3. Could advance far in the tournament (like semis or final) 4. Attack minded team Thats what i can think of as a guide to picking top scorer I can think of Davor Suker in '98 when cro finished 3rd that matched the above criteria. For now i like Luca Toni.

Re: Top Scorer Im Cro & i don't think Petric can reach that goal. We have too many strikers aboard like Budan, Olic, Klasnic, Rakitic. Any of these strikers can be used anytime. Take into account Kranjcar & Modric who can score from midfield & free kicks. Its a gamble to bet on Petric probably at this stage he might score 20% of Croatia's goals. All it takes is 1 bad game or results for Petric and he will be replace by another good striker.

Re: Top Scorer I reckon the playoff phase matches will again bring 1-0 results so the reasonable chance is to go for a good team with a striker able to score 3+ in the group phase. Germany is a puzzle, they have many offensive players, thwy had their top goalscorer last time (WC2006) and will play two well-defending teams (Croatia and Poland), their last game being with Austria some second string striker may have the most of it though I doubt it would be a hattrick so Germans for the above reasons are out for me. Portugal has also a pretty tough group with sensible defending, they boast splendid midfielders and Ronaldo used to underperform at big occasions. Their coach has twisted mentality and I can't see many goals coming from Portugal. I personally like the look of Luca Toni and David Villa but excuse me I need to go for a pee ;) maybe someone else will explain why these two ;)

You tell us mate' date=' you're from Croatia! What's he like, as I dont know much about him. I suppose he will be the main striker now that Eduardo wont be playing?[/quote'] Mladen Petric is a player who has good left foot, real nice strike (you can see his goals in basel, or this season in dortmund, and a goal againt england for 3-2) Also Petric has nice header...and good free kick....his minus is lack of speed

Do you think the loss of Eduardo is significant bozz' date=' or have you enough cover up front to cope?[/quote'] It would've been nice to have dudu in the team but im sure the team has fully recovered & moved on from the news & i believe they have enough backup for him. It may sound ironic but im glad the injury to dudu happened months ago and not 1 or 2 weeks before the tournament. I believe the injury to dudu will bring the best out of the players a little more... A Budda1312 i agree with you and i stated earlier that i like the look of Luca Toni for top sgoal scorer - he had anawesome year for Bayern & seems to be the main striker for Italy which i do hope they get far in the tourn.

Re: Top Scorer With Cassano on Italy, you know Toni will get many more opportunities to score. Cassano is a genious on the ball and he makes everyone around him better. Cristian Maggio a RB could have had 20 goals this season for Sampdoria if he made good on 5% of Cassano's set ups.

Re: Top Scorer I've gone each way on Ballack at 50's. A good header of the ball from set peices, i believe he takes penalties and some free kicks and i think they will progress thru as champions and face perhaps Czech Rep in the 1/4 final which i'd expect them to win. Max of 6 games, i think 3 or 4 goals could sneak the top scorer market. Also with regards spain and Villa and Torres, they rarely play together and Aragones generally chops and changes the pair of them around, i imagine one would start and the other replace them at some point during a game, not an ideal situation for backing either in this market IMO.

Re: Top Scorer With regards to the Spain comment Chalmers, i do believe Torres and Villa will play together. Going back to the 2006 world cup they both started together for the first two matches in the group stage (2 wins) which meant the coach rested them for the Saudi Arabia game. Villa and Torres were then brought back into the forst team for the game against France, which they of course lost. Throughout qualifying, these two have been the front two (barring injuries/suspensions etc) so i do not see why it is going to change? Torres does actually win a lot of headers to go with his pace, and so is maybe why the coach goes with them both. Villa for me to be top scorer EW.

Re: Top Scorer Luca Toni @ 15.0, big target man, scored plenty for BM this season.Likely to play most of the games. Zlatan Ibrahimovic @ 44.0:eek, class act, will take pens/freekicks. Milan Baros @ 90.0:eek, an insulting price for the winner of the 2004 tournament golden boot, hate him or love him at club level, his record for the Czech Republic of 31 goals in 59 games is superb, he has everychance again in a creative Czech team.

Re: Top Scorer This is a "long shot" but Cristiano Ronaldo had a great season, is the best and finest player in the World today and was both the EPL and the Champions League top goalscorer. It is clear to me that this is a "value" bet at 10.19 and I'll take it. My pick: Euro 2008 top goalscorer: Cristiano Ronaldo Good luck! JC

Re: Top Scorer Ruud Van Nistelrooy is 21.00 on betfair....? Any reason for this...? Is he expected to play....? If so I think this is a generous price for a man we all know can bang the goals in. Also I like the look of an outside bet on Henrik Larsson (for obvious reasons ) but at odds of 120.00 its defo worth a £2.00 stake, even though he will probably be coming from the bench in most games I would imagine.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy is 21.00 on betfair....? Any reason for this...? Is he expected to play....? If so I think this is a generous price for a man we all know can bang the goals in. Also I like the look of an outside bet on Henrik Larsson (for obvious reasons ) but at odds of 120.00 its defo worth a £2.00 stake, even though he will probably be coming from the bench in most games I would imagine.
Henrik at 120??? Thats got to be worth a small stake. Watched him at Parkhead on Sunday and ok I know it was against a team of old men but you can tell he's still very much got it. He still has his pace, his vision and awareness is still as sharp as ever plus he scored a magnificent overhead kick towards the end of the first half. It wouldnt surprise me if Henrik started most matches. Saying this however I would be extremely surprised if Swedens progression in this tournament went any further than the quarter final stage. In a group with Russia and Spain they will find it hard to get out of the group stages, couple this with the fact that they will face a team from he "Group of Death" in the quarters means that Henrik's gonna need to score a barrel load in the opening 4 games for this bet to come through. Mind you saing that ask any Celtic fan if he thinks Henrik is good enough to do so. The man is my hero. Need to bet him just for the novelty value alone.

Henrik at 120??? Thats got to be worth a small stake. Watched him at Parkhead on Sunday and ok I know it was against a team of old men but you can tell he's still very much got it. He still has his pace, his vision and awareness is still as sharp as ever plus he scored a magnificent overhead kick towards the end of the first half. It wouldnt surprise me if Henrik started most matches. Saying this however I would be extremely surprised if Swedens progression in this tournament went any further than the quarter final stage. In a group with Russia and Spain they will find it hard to get out of the group stages, couple this with the fact that they will face a team from he "Group of Death" in the quarters means that Henrik's gonna need to score a barrel load in the opening 4 games for this bet to come through. Mind you saing that ask any Celtic fan if he thinks Henrik is good enough to do so. The man is my hero. Need to bet him just for the novelty value alone.
:welcome Big man!! I know what your saying, just thought Henrik would be worth a wee £2.00 bet from a purely Celtic fans point of view, the guy is a complete legend and I'll be watching every Sweden game for him alone.

:welcome Big man!! I know what your saying, just thought Henrik would be worth a wee £2.00 bet from a purely Celtic fans point of view, the guy is a complete legend and I'll be watching every Sweden game for him alone.
Cheers chief. Was at the game on Sunday with a few mates and my wee bro, one of them just got back from Canada last week so he was delighted to see Henrik play again. The man really is something else. I'll be following Sweden and Poland this year from a sentimnetal point of view, not too sure who I fancy if I was to seriously bet it. Will probably decide this closer to the time. Cant wait for EURO 2008, gonna be a great betting tourney. Hoping to make some serious profs which will hopefully be v hodders this summer. :nana