Flopped nuts on tricky board

Nade

Re: Flopped nuts on tricky board

Balancing ranges isn't that important no, as in general ppl won't have loads of hands on you or won't be observant enough to know your ranges. However, to ONLY check raise with the nuts isn't great really, as you will (a) lose equity with strong draws if you call and check fold a missed turn when you had 33% equity on the flop with a lot of fold equity (b) win less when you hit your draw © scare ppl out of the pot when you c/r your nuts and they know you have 'em. I play 0.50/1.00 as well, and I think an aggressive game works well at this level. I'm not advocating blind aggression, but 99 is a strong hand in 6 max and you give up a lot of equity if you just play to set mine. I avoid cold calling preflop as much as possible personally. However in this case, you were facing an UTG raiser, sometimes it might not be best to 3-bet here - but that's why it is very useful to be aware of ranges. The question about cheap flops was to Brian, but I'll give my view as well... obviously it's all situationally dependent but of course I will see cheap flops at times, but I'd rather be raising and 3-betting than calling in general - as you gain more information about your opponents hand, you can take the pot down there and then and you have momentum on the flop. You can selectively profit by using a lot 3-betting light at 0.50/1.00 (things like 33, 56s etc as these are easy to play after the flop) and with 99 you are generally just giving up equity by cold calling imo. Open limping is bad for the same reason at 6 max. I'm not sure, but maybe because Nade has played more full ring set mining is more common there. I started at full ring myself and wouldn't 3 bet 99 much there.

Against two opponents yes I will check raise a good draw there with good reads on them. If I know one is a "fish" who has a high percentage for calling c-bets, if I know the original raiser c-bets a high percentage of flops and I have a strong draw and a good (as in not too agressive, showed down strong hands, check raised before and showed down strong) image then yes I will. If you only check raise with the nuts, thats really bad balancing of your ranges and too predictable, an observant opponent who has played a fair bit with you before can easily fold his 2 pair, over pair, etc. If you have an accurate estimation of your opponents range, your image, your fold equity and your win equity, you can can definitely check raise a draw here. To call it "bloody dodgy" and saying you would only do it with the nuts is akin to saying "I'm playing my cards only", if you are representing the nuts but in fact have a draw with decent win and fold equity this is a good move and also balances your range. I think I would want to know moer about the opponents than Nade did here, but when I play I generally always have tracker, hud, etc - it's a major advantage when used properly.
sorry i should have been a bit more exact, vs unknowns and with no personal table image as such i wouldn't be doing it:ok maybe i would if it was a game/players have good info on and my image was not aggressive ,in that situation then i might use it but not often . but vs 2 unknowns i definately wouldn't be doing it ,like i say the call percentage would more than likely go up past the point of it being cost effective. i would say that the stakes would effect strategy :ok the lower down you go the more you have to go back to basics ,as the opposing players are in general less likely to be watching those around them,so trying to outplay people at this level is tricky,so back to basics seems the best strategy. once you get up a bit further the play gets better and there are less fish and more observant players, now playing the player not the cards becomes a much better way to play ,so a more action style should be more effective. admittedly a have only got up to the 2/4 level so i cant comment past that ,but i would say below 25c/50c basic abc poker probably works best, then the higher up the stakes you go from there the more moves you can start to pull.

Very rarely see cheap flops at any level, entering the pot with a raise/reraise swings 'the power' in your favour for the rest of the hand or you are asking the question to define your hand more clearly or in this case both. It is short handed he has a massive hand on the BB with a 3.5 raise and a call, I'd be raising but to around $11 pre flop not post flop. I'd rather take their $7 now than wait to see a tricky board. They are unlikely to reraise with AK AQ most likely to call so you can narrow down their range, if one of them reraises you have probably defined your hand to being behind to a higher pair but in some cases it maybe still worth calling (implied odds) because if you put him on KK/QQ and you flop the 9 then you have his entire stack. Can you see how entering with a raise gathers you a whole load of information and makes your decisions easier as the hand plays out? As for levels, you know I am up an down like a tarts knickers but I generally play at levels higher than this but I think this level still requires you to play a more powerful game.

Re: Flopped nuts on tricky board Yeah I agree with the example, I was more thinking of small pairs such as 22/33. I'd much rather cold call a raise with a small pair especially multi-handed and try to flop good or fold. 77+ I'm probably looking to raise if first in or squeeze if there has been a raise and a call, but that very much depends on the table and my image. I do think there is a danger in being super-aggro at levels below 100NL as a rule. Above this level you are often dealing with mostly competent players and being more aggro is a good strategy. At the lower levels being more TAG and selectively agressive is better approach in general imo. I'm talking specifically pre-flop here btw. But there are plenty of winning players who disagree.

Re: Flopped nuts on tricky board hmmm yes I still raise with any hand, hardly ever call but can't remember if I did this too much at .50/1 I might give this level a bash for a few days on a new site I have just downloaded and see how I get on :ok Are you still going to Newcastle btw ?

Very rarely see cheap flops at any level, entering the pot with a raise/reraise swings 'the power' in your favour for the rest of the hand or you are asking the question to define your hand more clearly or in this case both. It is short handed he has a massive hand on the BB with a 3.5 raise and a call, I'd be raising but to around $11 pre flop not post flop. I'd rather take their $7 now than wait to see a tricky board. They are unlikely to reraise with AK AQ most likely to call so you can narrow down their range, if one of them reraises you have probably defined your hand to being behind to a higher pair but in some cases it maybe still worth calling (implied odds) because if you put him on KK/QQ and you flop the 9 then you have his entire stack. Can you see how entering with a raise gathers you a whole load of information and makes your decisions easier as the hand plays out? As for levels, you know I am up an down like a tarts knickers but I generally play at levels higher than this but I think this level still requires you to play a more powerful game.
too right bri:ok better to win/lose $7 now and know where you are instead of getting further along in the hand with big bets going in and still none the wiser to what your opponent has.

No to the Virgin festival. Am not around. Possibly to the GUKPT next month though. Although will likely miss Manc. You still playing in those?
Yes going to manchester not sure about others

if one of them reraises you have probably defined your hand to being behind to a higher pair but in some cases it maybe still worth calling (implied odds) because if you put him on KK/QQ and you flop the 9 then you have his entire stack.
Really? I don't think you could ever call a 4-bet for set value, also AK will push a lot from my experience - depending on the player of course.