** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Starting Again

Belly77

I've decided that I'm going to give Poker a second bash having had a very up and down career to date. I've not played properly for about 6 months and feel nows the time to give it another bash. I want to start from fresh like a true newbie. My current strategy didn't get me anywhere really (couple of V points) and the chips that I did build up soon went away again. Can anybody point me in the direction of some decent threads,books, sites and games to start building bank rolls. I really want to get my head round everything. All advice would be welcome. Will hopefully (work permitting) start playing the focus games.

Re: Starting Again I assume that you've read this http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21979 If you're looking to build a bank roll I'd avoid the focus games (unless they have exceptional added value), too many very, very good players. In terms of good free rolls I'd suggest the Nordic monday night $10,000. It used to have a 1RH entry requirement although that's been dropped recently. About 6300 started on Monday and top 800 got paid.

Re: Starting Again here's a good thread on the subject by valiant:ok Poker On A Shoestring Budget or £0-£150 In 4mths. i would say a very good investment would be to order poker player from the apat website.£5 for 12 months is a bargain for a ok strategy section but best of all you get a load of good quality freerolls. harrington is definately worth getting but i would read that a month or two after starting again ,as its a bit weighty and in depth and could be a bit much to take in after just starting again. i quite liked play poker like the pros by phil hellmuth , it would maybe be a bit better as a book for someone starting from scratch than harrington. the best thing really is to read as much as possible threads/books/mags ,as there are so many different ways to play in general or on specific hands that its best to get as many different ideas as possible . also play as much as possible ,there is no substitute for practise, the more hands you play the better you should become. playing the pl leagues should help a bit as well:okusually cheap, good added value and a high quality game against good opponents .these games are tough:eek but you should pick up a lot watching other players around you. as for sites i dont really play many freerolls now so i'm not sure who's are best value but the v-roll still seems popular and i would guess pokertrillion would be good as well ,as they are starting up so need to get the punters in:ok good luck and hope some of this helps

Re: Starting Again

Can anybody point me in the direction of some decent threads,books, sites and games to start building bank rolls. I really want to get my head round everything. All advice would be welcome.
You haven't said what style of poker you want to play, MTTs, SnG's or Cash? Personally I'd advise starting playing low level (0.05/0.10), full ring, cash tables. This will allow you to play tight aggressive, ABC poker. Wait until you pick up big starting hands and bet them fairly hard.