UEFA Cup - 6 March

Thursday 6 March 2008 Home Draw Away bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">BPP
Anderlecht v Bayern München (18:00GMT) 6.00 3.75 1.70 102% Details »
Hide « Anderlecht v Bayern München
Fiorentina v Everton (19:45GMT) 2.40 3.40 3.50 100% Details »
Hide « Fiorentina v Everton
Marseille v Zenit (19:45GMT) 1.72 3.60 5.50 104% Details »
Hide « Marseille v Zenit
Bolton v Sporting (20:00GMT) 2.40 3.40 3.30 101% Details »
Hide « Bolton v Sporting
Rangers v Werder Bremen (20:00GMT) 2.60 3.35 2.96 102% Details »
Hide « Rangers v Werder Bremen
Bayer Leverkusen v Hamburger SV (20:05GMT) 2.30 3.25 3.30 105% Details »
Hide « Bayer Leverkusen v Hamburger SV
Tottenham v PSV (20:05GMT) 1.76 3.65 6.00 101% Details »
Hide « Tottenham v PSV
Getafe v Benfica (20:30GMT) 3.50 3.35 2.26 103% Details »

Re: UEFA Cup - 6 March Marseille are the bet of the week in my opinion. Very strong at home lately and their 3-0 demolition job of Spartak Moscow is a good guide to go on. Zenit St. Petersburg are in their pre season at the moment just as Spartak were 3 weeks ago, ZSP also had 2 men red carded in the last round versus Villarreal and i'm sure these will be suspended. Maximum stakes on Marseille for this one as they'll want to take a lead with them to Russia for the return leg, quick guys before the value disappears.

Re: UEFA Cup - 6 March

Marseille are the bet of the week in my opinion. Very strong at home lately and their 3-0 demolition job of Spartak Moscow is a good guide to go on. Zenit St. Petersburg are in their pre season at the moment just as Spartak were 3 weeks ago' date=' ZSP also had 2 men red carded in the last round versus Villarreal and i'm sure these will be suspended. Maximum stakes on Marseille for this one as they'll want to take a lead with them to Russia for the return leg, quick guys before the value disappears.[/quote'] Good choice, judging by current form/results and the Zenith missings ( one is a good first choice forward ), still I find these odds a bit short, will consider. I also think Anderlecht and Getafe are strongly underestimated, or Benfica and Bayern overrated - first of all there are 2 games to be played and both ''favourites'' are not going to cry if a draw. Second, looking at Getafe's recent results why are Benfica favourites at all? Names don't count here, only few years ago Alaves were in the final...The AH in both games will be interesting to monitor...An early goal in Glasgow could turn this game into a very high - scoring one and everything is there as a potential - strong hosts, attacking guests, less calculating...Hopefully...

Good choice' date=' judging by current form/results and the Zenith missings ( one is a good first choice forward ), still I find these odds a bit short, will consider. I also think Anderlecht and Getafe are strongly underestimated, or Benfica and Bayern overrated - first of all there are 2 games to be played and both ''favourites'' are not going to cry if a draw. Second, looking at Getafe's recent results why are Benfica favourites at all? Names don't count here, only few years ago Alaves were in the final...The AH in both games will be interesting to monitor...An early goal in Glasgow could turn this game into a very high - scoring one and everything is there as a potential - strong hosts, attacking guests, less calculating...Hopefully...[/quote'] Got mixed up because of the post above, it is Benfica - Getafe. Will stick to my original feelings though, as above: Benfica - Getafe Goal/Goal at 2,00 Anderlecht - Bayern Over 2,5 goals at 1,95 Marseille - Zenith Home -1 AH at 2,10 Spurs - PSV Home -1 AH at 2,09 Leverkusen - Hamburg Goal/Goal at 1,80 All bets with 5/10 Didn't add reasoning for Spurs and Bayer - in short Ramos should be the difference in London, mid-table in EPL he would love a Euro final, hard one but who thought Sevilla is favourite 3 years ago. The German teams know each other too well... Good luck

Re: UEFA Cup - 6 March For this weeks UEFA cup ties i see a lot of bets which send off warning signals and a few that trigger church bells rattling away in my head.... here are the latter... OL. Marseille- Zenit St Petersburg As outlined before by a few people (as I am sure will be repeated before nights end) With Zenit in off season atm and Marseille running rings (kind of) around French opposition as well as those in UEFA cup visiting the Velodrome winning 9 of last 10 at home, the loss coming to Liverpool back in December in CL... showing a trend towards both scoring and conceding at home as in their last 4 games... really there to be backed against a team in zenit who will come to defend (lets face it)... really I will not oppose a team such as Ac Milan or Liverpool going to an away tie with only thoughts of clean sheets because they have the class to do so... however I feel that as one of the top Russian teams this wont be Zenit's natural game and when teams of lower skill try to do so against an obviously potent home attacker they will more often than not stumble... it happened to spartak and I can very much see it happening here... more value in overs but I have gone a little on both bets (though i cant see this price for over line anymore). 4units OL. Marseille (-1) AH @ 2.11 7units Over 2.25 goals @ 2.04 Edit: I may be wrong I think only my bookies lowered odds I can still see nice prices @ bet365 and therefore I assume in a few around... surely it will drop as match comes closer..

Re: UEFA Cup - 6 March Marseille - Zenit My pick: Marseille -1AH @2.10 (bet365) Marseille seems to be on fire the last weeks and especially they're able to win anyone right now. The fact that they play the first game at the Velodrome is an important reason for me to take this bet. I believe that they'll try to achieve a comfortable win with a good margin, because they now that the away game will not be easy. Zenit has some missing players mainly because of the cards, and I believe that the first thing on their mind will be to keep a clean sheet. That won't be easy at all against Marseille, and if we're lucky enough to have an early goal, then I believe that a 2-0, 3-0 outcome is very possible.

Second' date=' looking at Getafe's recent results why are Benfica favourites at all? Names don't count here, only few years ago Alaves were in the final...The AH in both games will be interesting to monitor.[/quote'] Looking at both teams recent results, a draw seems a strong possibility; Benfica have only lost twice in the league all season, but have drawn 5 of their last 7 league matches, while Getafe have drawn 3 of their last 4.

Re: UEFA Cup - 6 March count me as another that will be on the Marseille wagon. they will want to go to the second leg with a good advantage and they're recent form tells us they are more than capable of heading to Russia with a lead on aggregate. Marseille to win 1st leg, 10/10 (1.61)

Re: UEFA Cup - 6 March Marseille i also like marseille here they will not want to go to russia needing a win and chasing the game. This wont be easy as Zenit are capable but i think if marseille keep up there current form they can get a win here. Sporting Lisbon no offence to bolton fans ..yes ok they held bayern and beat atletico madrid but how they start as favourites against a side experienced in europe as sporting is beyond me sporting should take this IMO if they really want it Werder Bremen gotta go work so will keep this short.....rangers been ok at home but werder are a talented side i think they can win this.

Re: UEFA Cup - 6 March :ok:ok

Marseille i also like marseille here they will not want to go to russia needing a win and chasing the game. This wont be easy as Zenit are capable but i think if marseille keep up there current form they can get a win here. Sporting Lisbon no offence to bolton fans ..yes ok they held bayern and beat atletico madrid but how they start as favourites against a side experienced in europe as sporting is beyond me sporting should take this IMO if they really want it Werder Bremen gotta go work so will keep this short.....rangers been ok at home but werder are a talented side i think they can win this.
Brilliant. Thats sums up tonights uefa cup games for me :ok

Wanderers just checking with u.. bolton playing with their 2nd string squad? can bolton get a result today?
I speak to Wanderer daily and he advised a reserve side will be fielded. Even if not by choice, no nolan, diouf, steinssen , cohen. sporting have no fresh injury worries.

Re: UEFA Cup - 6 March I'm with everyone on the Marseille game. Can't look past a home win, they will have taken a lot of knowledge from the last round and know Russia isn't somewhere you want to go needing to win. Worth mentioning that Advocaat (Zenith coach) has a touchline ban for this game. Laying Bolton. They have proven that they shouldn't be underestimated in this competition but I feel this may be one stage too far (especially with the weakened side). Not totally confident of a Sporting win in the first leg mind as Bolton can frustrate the best of sides and you have to think the away side will be content with a draw and doing the business in Portugal.

Re: UEFA Cup - 6 March Anderlecht over 2.5 Anderlecht has scored in their last 4 games of the UEFA Cup as have Bayern Munich. Both teams have shown that their defending leaves alot to be desired. Anderlecht know their only chance of progressing is to score at least once here so look for them to go on the attack early on. Bayern have been somewhat unpredicable as they can produce some good passages of play but then aloow a cheap goal at the other end. They allowed an ordinary Aberdeen side to score twice in their last away game and this Anderlecht side is better. With both teams having the ability to score, you would expect both to, as well as look for the goal that gives them the edge when they go back to Germany for the second leg Marseille over 2.5 Marseille have been in great form especially at home, where in their last 5 games they have scored at least 2 goals in each of game - including beating Spartak Moscow 3-0. Zenit has scored in each of their last 4 UEFA Cup games and are likely to score here too if Marseille continue to allow teams opportunities to score, as the last 4 domestic games have seen them concede in the French league. Marseille are not the best travellers as seen by their 2-0 loss to Moscow, and will want to build a healthy lead when they back to Eastern Europe for the return leg. Fiorentina over 2.5 Both teams have good form in this cup competition coming into this game and each have scored in their last 4 games. Fiorentina have scored at least 2 goals in these 2 home games while Everton have scored at least 2 in their 2 away games, of their last 4 UEFA Cup games respectively. This tie could go either way as both teams are 4th in their respective leagues, but their should be plenty of action, and hopefully goals in it.

Wanderers just checking with u.. bolton playing with their 2nd string squad? can bolton get a result today?
Well survival in the premier league rightly so is main priority for megson and with a huge game against wigan coming up i really cant see a full team. He showed this in madrid were he feilded fringe players like stelios, mcann and samuel and leaving out diouf, campo etc. Bolton are without diouf as hes suspended anyway and i think nolan is injured. 2/1 is crazy odds really.

Re: UEFA Cup - 6 March My bets for today in the UEFA Cup: Fiorentina-Everton Fiorentina is having a great season (in the Italian league they're currently in 4th place and are the best team at the moment when considering the "current form table" of the last 10 league games) and has a very good team IMO. Everton is also having a great season (in the EPL they're currently in 4th place and are the 2nd best team at the moment when considering the "current form table" of the last 10 league games). I expect a tight game with neither team risking much as Fiorentina knows that if Everton scores things will be hard for them and as Everton knows that a draw will leave them in a good situation. My pick: draw; Marseille-Zenit P. Marseille is indeed in good form as of late with a 7-2-1 record overall in their last 10 games and are usually a hard team to beat at home. But I think Zenit is being underrated here. They have a team which is hard to beat and that they just kicked Villarreal (a very good Spanish side, better than Marseille IMO) out of the UEFA Cup last month. My pick: away +1 AH (Asian Handicap); Bolton-Sporting Bolton is in very poor form as of late and I'm sure their main priority will be to avoid relegation in the EPL but of course every team wants to go as far as possible in European competitions. Sporting is having a mediocre season in the League (currently 4th with the same points as 5th placed Setúbal) and will turn to the other competitions (UEFA Cup, Portuguese Cup and the Final of the Portuguese League Cup) trying to do something good this season. IMO their weakest point is the right and left backs and the crosses to the box (either from plays from the opposing team's wingers or out of corner and free kicks). Tonight they'll be, again, without their main striker Liedson (injured) and I'm sure they'll be glad to pull a draw here (just like Braga did a few months ago) which would leave them in a good position to get things done in the return leg. My pick: draw; Benfica-Getafe The key to this duel is IMO Camacho (Benfica's coach). Camacho is Spanish (and a Spanish glory), knows all there is to know about Spanish football and is good friends with many people at Getafe including the club President (that is shown by the fact that Camacho's dad passed away yesterday and Getafe's President attended the funeral this morning and will fly to Portugal in the private jet Benfica rented to transport Camacho, Benfica's President and club Captains Nuno Gomes and Petit). Benfica will be without many players for tonight (some injured some suspended: Nuno Gomes, Petit, David Luiz, Binya and Freddy Adu are all out) and a few more are questionable (Makukula, Nuno Assis and Maxi Pereira). Still, the team will surely be looking at winning and dedicating the victory to the coach in this hard moment in his personal life. Getafe is not used to play every 3 days like they've been doing lately and are not as experienced as Benfica. Getafe plays very much in a Italian style when away from home, they give opponents space in order to hit them hard with "their poison" in the counter attack. Camacho knows this very well and will play to win but will not risk much tonight as he knows that an "away goal" might due some damage in European competitions and with more players available for the return leg Benfica needs to keep things close tonight. I expect a Benfica close win or maybe even a low scoring draw. My pick:

Re: UEFA Cup - 6 March Hi all, So the Uefa cup is upon us yet again. Having seen the posts on this thread and also on some other sites I too like the look of Marseille. However 1.61 on Bet365 doesnt look entirely good value for me, so having won a bit last night on Porto I am going to look to double Marseille up with another team. At first glance Sporting look incredible odds to win at the Reebok with Bolton apparently resting players tonight to keep them fresh for their battle to stay in the EPL. If this does happen then I can see Sporting taking a win back to the return leg in Portugal. My second option in looking at this may be one for interests sake more than anything however it may turn out profitable as part of my double. The would be a Rangers - Werder Bremen draw. Rangers will be without their French powerhouse up front in Jean-Claude Darcheville through suspension. This is a massive blow for the Gers as he will work and run all night for Walter Smith and always give the Rangers rear guard an 'out ball'. Without him it looks as though Daniel Cousin will play the lone striker role, this from a man whom was on the verge of leaving Ibrox for Fulham in Janruary. I fully believe Werder Bremen have the ability to win at Ibrox and I have no doubt that they will win the tie over the two legs, however I think a draw tonight could be on the cards with Rangers having a defencive set-up from the start. Good Luck with all bets :ok

SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventMarseille-Zenit
SelectionMarseille win
Strength10/10
Date06/03/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfred @ 1.66 (Back)
ReasoningWell Marseille is in great form at the moment especially at home and every team is hard to ressit against them as Cisse and Nasri finnaly got into form.They won easily against Spartak another Russian side here 3-0 and i expect that they can bet Russian champs here.Zenit ias not in best form as season in Russia hadnt started yet and their fitness is questionable.They will miss Sirl,Lomabaerts,Domigues and Tekke while first coach Advocat is suspended.They were lucky against Villareal and i doubt that they can o something here.Marseille will mis Lorik Cana.Two years ago Zenit knocked in Uefa Cup Marseille and i think that today it is time for revenge.

SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventAnderlecht-Bayern
SelectionUnder 2.5
Strength10/10
Date06/03/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.90 (Back)
ReasoningWell normally i would back Bayern bit fact that they dont need a win here is made me thinking and i decided to pick Under.Bayern played good match against Schalke and they won 1-0 but they could win it much more.Bayern is travelling here without Lucio and Ze Roberto who are injured and Kahn and Jansen are rested for this match.Bayern will be satisfied here with a draw and it will not push to much for a win here and they will try to play good defense and to wait opponent mistake.Anderlech will probably start very cautious here with only one striker Serhat and will try to not concede early goal.I expect very tight match here with a few chances and one goal could decide winner here.

My bets for today in the UEFA Cup: Marseille-Zenit P. Marseille is indeed in good form as of late with a 7-2-1 record overall in their last 10 games and are usually a hard team to beat at home. But I think Zenit is being underrated here. They have a team which is hard to beat and that they just kicked Villarreal (a very good Spanish side, better than Marseille IMO) out of the UEFA Cup last month. My pick: away +1 AH (Asian Handicap); JC
I agree that Zenit is a hard to beat team, but I disagree about Villarreal beeing a better side than Marseille at the moment. Villarreal started the season with very strong performances, but the last couple of months they're not playing so well. On the other hand Marseille started the season quietly but as time goes by, they're playing better and better. They know that the game in Russia will be difficult enough (Zenit is playing in artificial grass which is tricky for teams that they're not used to it), and imo they'll give their best performance in order to have the upper hand for the qualification. As I said in my previous post, I'm pretty confident for Marseille tonight and -1AH is my big bet for the night. Other picks, if any, will follow later on.

BOLTON - SPORTING LIZBON I really wonder who's going to score in Bolton tonight. Anelka's departure to Chelsea effected Bolton's attack power seriously. Moreover, El-Hadji Diouf is out as well! On the other side, S. Lizbon's striker player Liesdon is out for visitors.. As you know, S. Lizbon plays very defensive specially in away games. They're playing with caution, paying attention to defence. In previous round, both Lizbon and Bolton didn't allowed any goals. I'm expecting a dull game tonight, pick Under 2,5 goals! BENFICA - GETAFE Benfica will host Getafe tonight and Portuguese side is favourite with 2,20. Bad news for Benfica.. Jose Antonio Camacho's father died last night. To be honest, I was thinking about Benfica -0.5 because no doubt Benfica players will play with their hearts tonight. However, there's some serious missing in Portuguese side. Makukula, Petit and Nuno Gomes are all out.. Under these circumstances, it won't be easy to score for Benfica. Specially, Getafe plays very much in a Italian style when away from home and Benfica may have some trouble in offence tonight. On the other side, Portuguese side is very solid in defence and they have home court advantage as well. I'm not expecting a goal duel tonight, probably a low scoring game like 1-0 or 2-0. Pick Under 2,5 goals with high stakes, GL!

Re: UEFA Cup - 6 March I think people are underestimating Rangers tonight against Bremen. On paper bremen are a better side, but according to the bbc pages they will be missing a few players tonight and have some others coming off suspensions/injuries and may be a bit rusty. Rangers have an almost full squad to pick from (apart from long term injury beasley) and have been very solid at the back all season. I feel, having watched rangers in recent weeks, that they are hitting form and that davis and dailly in particular have done an excellent job in midfield. As for cousin, I have reservations about his workrate, but he does play well in the big matches, assuming he is selected ahead of mcculloch or perhaps boyd :tongue2 As you may have gathered, I am a rangers fan and I am doubtless wearing my blue glasses while I write this. I personally wont be betting on this tonight - I never bet on my own team, too superstitious for that, I'm afraid. But don't write rangers off too easily. Good luck all.

Re: UEFA Cup - 6 March For me give me tottenham, coach Ramos have make a great accomplishment changing the flow of the team, and the recent claim of one Cup will sure release pressure and make the team continue to play better. I see a tottenham victory here.

I think people are underestimating Rangers tonight against Bremen. On paper bremen are a better side, but according to the bbc pages they will be missing a few players tonight and have some others coming off suspensions/injuries and may be a bit rusty. Rangers have an almost full squad to pick from (apart from long term injury beasley) and have been very solid at the back all season. I feel, having watched rangers in recent weeks, that they are hitting form and that davis and dailly in particular have done an excellent job in midfield. As for cousin, I have reservations about his workrate, but he does play well in the big matches, assuming he is selected ahead of mcculloch or perhaps boyd :tongue2 As you may have gathered, I am a rangers fan and I am doubtless wearing my blue glasses while I write this. I personally wont be betting on this tonight - I never bet on my own team, too superstitious for that, I'm afraid. But don't write rangers off too easily. Good luck all.
I don't think anybody is writing Rangers off (or at least I'm not anyway, Im backing Bremen draw no bet), but this is a huge step up in class to anything they've faced so far, as the Bundesliga still produces some pretty damn good teams at the top end. Bremen are ranked 22nd in Europe according to the 2007 UEFA standings, while Rangers are 45th. Panathinaikos, who Rangers never actually beat over 90 minutes remember, are ranked 32. The suspension issue you mention is Diego - I'd say that missing one game isn't going to make him rusty, more likely it will make him fresh! He is the main danger man too, and will know he can put everything into this game without having to worry about turning out at the weekend. Obviously, Rangers did do well in the group stage of the CL, but a huge part of that was that frankly bizarre game at Lyon; an amazing result, but not reflective of the performance at all. A very tight game, and all 3 results are possible, but I fancy the evens on Bremen -0 AH.

Just did a little counting for fun...In the past seven UEFA Cup 1/8 finals, first leg, there have been... 21 overs, 35 unders 23 home wins, 11 away wins, 22 draws
Very interesting regarding the draws, not far off 40%, and the odds generally reflect a much lower percentage possibility. If you remove the games that look very strong home chances (imho Marseilles and arguably Spurs, depending on their team sheet) then you are left with some interesting games. I may remove Bayern as well, even with my Anderlecht allegiances (my dad lives there now), as I think they should be good enough to beat Anderlecht and will more than likely be better focused than they were for the Aberdeen game, where I suspect they thought they could just rock up and win. 5 games, reckon I might put them in doubles and an acca and see how the chips fall.