Date

Match

Teams

Venue

22-Feb

Winner 3 v. Winner 6 Telstra Dome

23-Feb

Winner 2 v. Winner 4 Manuka Oval

Winner 7 v. Winner 5 Telstra Dome/AAMI Stad.

24-Feb

Winner 1 v. Winner 8 Telstra Dome/AAMI Stad.Week 3

Date

Match

Teams

Venue

29-Feb

Winner 9 v. Winner 10 TBA

1-Mar

Winner 11 v. Winner 12 CarraraWeek 4- Grand Final

Date

Match

Teams

Venue

8-Mar

Winner 13 v. Winner 14TBA

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup Well the AFL season is fast approaching us again with the kick off a little over 6 weeks away now! For those unaware of what the NAB Cup is, its basically a Pre Season tournament featuring all 16 teams in the AFL in a knockout format. The winner of the NAB Cup receives a trophy and prize money of $220,000, but as its basically only basically practice games, often sides dont field full strength line ups and use the tournament as a means to test out new youngsters and the likes. The NAB Cup is not usually a good guide as to how the real season will pan out either, the last three NAB Cup winners failed to make the finals the year after, (Carlton 2005, 2007, Geelong 2006).

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup My early tip at this stage would have to be Hawthorn. They are great value at $7.00 and with fit Stuart Dew and Mark Williams coming in to the squad, plus with the very dangerous Lance Franklin and Jaryd Roughead also in that forward structure, the Hawks should be capable of scoring some big scores. Delivery into the forward will be good too as Sam Mitchell, Shane Crawford, Ben McGlynn, Luke Hodge and a number of other highly rated youngsters who are likely to be trialled out. Not sure why St Kilda are so short priced. Their coach admitted only today that they will be resting 7 of their usual starters for their first match against Richmond, so will be severely depleted. Brisbane and Fremantle will be the other danger teams too i feel.

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup I like your thinking Ash. Tigers should overcome the Saints if they field a strong side, but the only thing which concerns me is the fact they come up against the winner of Geelong or Melbourne. Perhaps they are underdone as you suggest, but both clubs have been laying low all summer and i haven't heard much about their preparations. Geelong are a team who do field decent line ups in the pre season comps which was highlighted by their win in 2006. Plus their squad is deeper than any other in the league, so they are always going to be a dangerous proposition. But i too agree that Richmond are excellent value, regardless of this fact. Good luck mate :ok

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup

My early tip at this stage would have to be Hawthorn. They are great value at $7.00 and with fit Stuart Dew and Mark Williams coming in to the squad, plus with the very dangerous Lance Franklin and Jaryd Roughead also in that forward structure, the Hawks should be capable of scoring some big scores. Delivery into the forward will be good too as Sam Mitchell, Shane Crawford, Ben McGlynn, Luke Hodge and a number of other highly rated youngsters who are likely to be trialled out. Not sure why St Kilda are so short priced. Their coach admitted only today that they will be resting 7 of their usual starters for their first match against Richmond, so will be severely depleted. Brisbane and Fremantle will be the other danger teams too i feel.
In an open market I make Hawthorn favourite at 9.00 and Fremantle at 11.5 second favourite, ads, so I'm not thinking any value. Brisbane I'm not so inspired by. Brown's not playing the first couple and although they will be generally stronger, I suspect Leigh has reason to be thinking September this time.

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup Geelong are behind in preparation, ads, and yes of course they are still dangerous. They've also had a set-back having to cancel their FEB 8 intra-club at Carrara and won't play that till they get home. Cam Bruce is out for at least the first two or three and so is Nathan Carroll (club suspension). Mind you all the clubs will be reduced strength, as we know. Melbourne are actually value at 34.00 IMO.

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup Roughead had a minor knee op over Xmas and hasn't taken part in any of the training so far this year. Don't beleive that he will even be right for Round 1 (Thorp most likely to take his spot). Would reckon the Roos would have to start favourites cus if they don't win, then its off to the Goldcost for them next year.

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup :welcomeHenry. (Still :hope we're Adelaide free in here again this year :D). Thanks for that info, and the whisper thus far is that Kangaroos are taking it quite seriously. You'd expect so given their financial/membership status although must also consider they will have had later training start than most. More about the roos when someone gets around to creating a pre-season discussion thread ... ads ;).

More about the roos when someone gets around to creating a pre-season discussion thread ... ads ;).
Done mate, check it out here :ok Actually while on the topic of the Roos, are they officially called North Melbourne again do you know?

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup It's nice to be back in 2008. I tried to sit through the Fremantle vs. Carlton practice match replayed on Wednesday night, but only lasted 5 minutes because I just couldn't get into it. Plenty of negativity surrounding the NAB Cup, particularly with changes to limiting the interchange use to 16 per quarter. Seems funny that the biggest whingers of this change, are the same people that couldn't give a toss about the NAB Cup. I'll be doing the ratings again for the NAB Cup which found 13 of the 15 winners last season. The key to the ratings are to get close to a full strength team on the park. Carlton hardly had an injury in last year's NAB Cup, and went on to win it. I rank the best 29 players from 1-29 then the remaining players on the list a 30. 26 players get a game in the NAB Cup so a full strength team would total 350. The weakest possible team named would total 690. I expect most teams that are having a crack will field teams with a rating of around 420-460. Collingwood (438) $1.60 Fav. - The Pies have named 19 off their best 26, with Rocca to drop out of the squad and doubts on Wakelin and Cloke. - They have key personnel missing in defence (O'Brien, Goldsack) and look weak in the ruck and not alot of depth in the midfield. - Scoring might be difficult with Rusling, Dawes and probably Rocca missing. Adelaide (406) $2.30 - The Crows have named 21 off their best 26, with their two main ruckman missing. - Midfield is virtually full strength with all their key midfielders up and running. - Scoring power has been Adelaide's weakness in recent years, but they might try a smaller forward setup rotating their midfielders. The ratings show an advantage to Adelaide and they are value at present, but they do have the midfield edge. All the best and let the games begin.

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup Yep...nicely done BC. Wish I had have remembered about your ratings before the game! :wall One game in and we've already had some "classic" commentary from Bruce... ..."After what we've seen tonight, the Crows deserve to be solid favourites for the NAB Cup"... ...ah, yes Bruce. Given they've won the first game a week before anyone else has even played, they probably do! :lol

One game in and we've already had some "classic" commentary from Bruce... ..."After what we've seen tonight, the Crows deserve to be solid favourites for the NAB Cup"... ...ah, yes Bruce. Given they've won the first game a week before anyone else has even played, they probably do! :lol
I was actually surprised how well I just took that one in my stride, Taza. When you know it's coming it's not as bad. :unsure That game had as much to do with a flat Collingwood, as we often see in NAB Cup. Adelaide drifted from 2.33 to 2.70, which seemed quite backable. Stayed out myself, exept for some 1.15 Betfair during third quarter.

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup Yeah, I wouldn't take much out of that match in terms of Collingwoods performance. They've been in South Africa and now Dubai, they would be flat. Adelaide did play well, scott thompson a standout. As far as winning the Nab Cup I'd be on Roos based solely on them needing money. I can see them beating the Dogs, but then they should come up against Brisbane, which is a tough match. And I have no confidence there. Cartlon looked a rabble over in South Africa. It's Brisbane or Roos for mine. Both are exciting young teams with a lot of heart.

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup The NAB Cup is great for teams to get into some sort of rhythm before the season kicks off, but can you really get an insight into some up and coming key players that clubs blood and look to? I would be interested to find out who you guys think did best out of the draft and who will be unearthed as a rising superstar in the next few weeks? Also, early tip for the Coleman? Brown at $7 looks good as does Pavlich at $8

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup NAB Cup - Friday night. At the Telstra Dome. Richmond (411) $2.05 - 5 of their best 26 are missing. - Only notables missing are Coughlan and Thursfield. - Forward line at full strength and should be able to overpower St.Kilda's defence given reasonable supply. St.Kilda (497) $1.75 Fav. - 9 of their best 26 are missing. - Best forward line is intact, but have depth issues in the midfield with Hayes, Ball, Goddard and Schneider missing. - Defence without Maguire, L.Fisher, Gram and Gilbert. - Saints still have enough brilliance in the side to pinch this match, but I'm not sure they can get on top of a decent looking Richmond team for long enough to win it. In Darwin. Western Bulldogs (385) $2.13 - 4 of their best 26 are missing, with Giansiracusa and Williams the only notables. - Obviously in it to win it naming such a strong squad and good to see Griffen back. - Lack of height in their forward line might be an advantage if the conditions are wet as expected. Kangaroos (408) $1.70 Fav. - 5 of their best 26 are missing, with C.Jones and J.Smith the best of those out of the team. - Team looks every bit as strong as the team that reached the last four in '07. - Probably going into the game with one too many tall defenders, given the conditions expected. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers firmed a little more in the 24 hours leading into the match. Keep an eye on the weather in Darwin before taking an interest in the game. Good luck with your investments and I'll back with the rest of the ratings on Saturday.

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup Tigers firming a little was an undertatement, BC :lol. I scrambled to get on at 2.08. Saw 2.10 just before that. Does anyone know what was top price on them? Richmond are now favorites and many books have gone OTB with that game. Gamebookers still have Richmond 2.02, so I'd recommend grabbing that while it lasts. I'm not sure, and I'm no meteorologist but hopefully the following gives some clue what could possibly happen in Darwin :unsure. I actually fancy the dogs, regardless. Darwin Weather

FRI 20.gif Heavy Rain. Mostly Cloudy. Warm. Humid. 24 km/h NW 17mm (100%) 78% 27 30
SAT 20.gif Heavy Rain. Mostly Cloudy. Warm. Breezy. 25 km/h NW 16mm (100%) 78% 27 30
SUN 20.gif Heavy Rain. Mostly Cloudy. Warm. Humid. 19 km/h W 13mm (100%) 80% 27 29
MON 20.gif Heavy Rain. Mostly Cloudy. Mild. Humid. 16 km/h W 14mm (100%) 82% 26 28
TUE 20.gif Heavy Rain. Mostly Cloudy. Warm. Breezy. 27 km/h WSW 16mm (100%) 79% 26 29
WED 20.gif Heavy Rain. Mostly Cloudy. Warm. Breezy. 26 km/h W 17mm (100%) 80% 26 29
THU 20.gif Heavy Rain. Mostly Cloudy. Warm. Humid. 23 km/h W 14mm (100%) 83% 26 30

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup St.Kilda have made 5 late changes to their squad for the game against Richmond. Riewoldt, Baker, Dempster, Gwilt and McQualter have all failed fitness tests and wont play. Most markets have been suspended, but once they come back online, I expect Richmond to be the new favourites. My new rating for St.Kilda is now 555, up from 497.

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup Richmond 1.50!! I sure must be pre-season! lol Good for you blokes who grabbed them early...and your Long Term (well, medium to short really!) bet Ash. BC, was just wondering how the ratings will perform in the Geelong/Melbourne game... ...you know, where the 30+'s for Geelong are just as good, if not better than the 10's for the Dee's! ;) Go Dogs!

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup Torn me ticket up, Taza. Bruce told me Crows have got it. I rate mine out of 10 and have average player rating; Geelong 5.0, Melbourne 4.4, so that's a big gap. 2.22 Dogs at Lasseters, gentlemen, if you like them. They just came in a little at Pinnacle (2.13).

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup Once again Premiershp glory eludes the Tiges... :lol: Looks like another long year...a few of their young guys may have improved, but so has everyone else's! Saints looked good, used the ball well...and Kosi up forward!...Will be interesting to see how he goes with Riewoldt in the team...but add Hayes and Maguire, and really, it's a very good team on paper. ...I'm just hoping the conditions played their part in the Doggies game plan last night. Midfield dominated and look fantastic with a few extra kilo's (er, you know what I mean)...backline played well enough...but if we have another year of bombing long, high balls into Johnson, Hahn and (now) Welsh I'm going to cry!!...or squeal, whichever is more masculin. ** ** (Or is that a lettuce?) I haven't looked at the squads yet, but surely the books are having a giggle with Port @ 1.85ish??!! Come on you blokes, rate me up.

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup Port are about an 1.80 chance IMO. Saw 1.94 Lasseters last night. Got to remember the later start to training for them and Carlton should have midfield dominance. Cats/Dees is about right. Essendon is the one though. Haven't selected a midfield but overall quality of squads is even. Neither side has selected forwards either. With both coaches sitting back eating polly-waffles, I suspect Essendon can get away with this at the 3.45 on offer. As i suspected, a big year looming for Saints, by the looks (g'day Bruce). Grabbed some 15.00 for flag at Bet365. Wish Saints could have butchered things like Doggies. Murphy from 2mm out ... not a lot of weather conditions in that real estate I'd think :D. Kept me on edge of my seat, that one, until Gilbee ... darn doggies! How good are those Tigers?! :ok

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup Lloyd, Lucas, Fletcher, Welsh, Stanton, Watson, Lovett, Davey, Rama...out. Black, Brown out for Brisbane...Bradshaw wasn't there anyway, and Merrett may as well have not... But yeah,, 1.30 looks skinny. Doesn't look like either Port or Carlton particularly care, lots missing... ...still think Geelong tear Melbourne a new one...-19.5 (2.00) looks tempting to me. Yeah Ash, a one point loss late would have been very Bulldog-like there...was half expecting it! Got a bit of a lucky free-kick late in defense for the hands in the back...but I thought we'd had a shocking run with the whistle until then, so evened out I guess!! Almost physically impossible to do what Murphy did! (As bad as Richmond are...Carlton @ 10's for the Spoon...looks big to me.)

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup NAB Cup - Saturday. At Geelong. Geelong (485) 1.42 Fav. - 7 of their best 26 missing, with their midfield and defence weakened. - Look to have Melbourne's measure all over the ground and will have a full house right behind them. Melbourne (520) 2.80 - 10 of their best 26 missing with their defence being the most affected. - Recent record in Geelong is pretty good. with a win and a draw in their last 2 games. At AAMI Stadium. Port Adelaide (529) 1.83 Fav. - 8 of their best 26 missing, including 5 of their best 6, with the Cornes and Burgoyne brothers sitting out. - Look a bit shallow in the midfield, but if they can get inside 50 enough, the forward line should outpoint Carlton's defence. Carlton (461) 1.95 - 8 of their best 26 missing, but only 2 of their best 14 missing. - Most of their good players are playing with Fevola, Waite and Fisher holding the key to victory for Carlton. On the Gold Coast. Brisbane (541) 1.30 Fav. - 12 of their best 26 missing, including 4 of their best 5. - No key defenders or key forwards playing. - Midfield is their strength. Essendon (597) 3.45 - 12 of their best 26 missing, including 7 of their best 10. - Team is inexperienced with a small defence, sub-standard midfield, and a poor forward line. - Odds are attractive seeing as both sides are decimated. In regards to last night's games, the Bulldogs game was quite interesting given the conditions. In general play, the Kangaroos weren't really in it, but the Dogs couldn't delivery the knockout blow. The miss in the second quarter by Murphy was as embarrassing a piece of play as I can recall. Murphy has Blight's miss well and truly covered now. I'm sure Eade had a few expletives ready for him at half time. The Casey Scorpions had a very solid hit out last night and have unearthed some decent talent. The battling Tigers look to be facing another long year if last night was any evidence.

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup Witnessed my mum do what Murphy did once, when she thought she'd have a kick with us. Didn't abuse her for it though ... guess I had no money on that kick though. Also defenders need to have good foot skills these days but how come Cam Wight can miss a shot at goal so badly :puke?

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup Hey...they won...give them (and your mum) a break!! Speaking of winning, looks like we all had a decent day yesterday with Geelong and the Bombers coming through easily. Can't believe I didn't take the points on offer for Essendon... 1.15 fav's today anyone?? Overcast here in Launny for the Hawks game...no rain. No wind. Actually quite humid...won't be surprised if the sun breaks thru by game time and it's a sweltering (for here!) high 20's! :D

Re: AFL Football - NAB Cup What are the lines for Sunday's matches? Does anyone know? Those shifty pricks at the TAB won't put up a line yet which is very strange for any AFL game thats is just hours away from a start.