ATP Vina del Mar & Fed Cup 28th Jan - 3rd Feb

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: ATP Vina del Mar & Fed Cup 28th Jan - 3rd Feb Early Fed Cup info re the CR v SR match It looks almost sure that Daniela Hantuchova will not start, which is a severe blow to SR's chances - she let to Spain (some say Rome) to see her doctor as she has a problem with her heel and says she is both physically and psychically exhausted after AO. She also says she would start only if 100 percent fit. Which she will not and as she left today morning, it's hardly the best way of preparation, neither is she likely to come back in time and fully concentrated;)

Re: ATP Vina del Mar & Fed Cup 28th Jan - 3rd Feb Let's try to keep this run going..... GRANNOLLERS-PUYOL @ 1.84 Pinnacle. Puyol looks to have made some sustained improvement last year which is perfectly reasonable as he is just 21. After trying to qualify for the US Open, he went 22-8 in clay court challengers. He started this year well too, qualifying for the Aussie Open beating Galvani and Kunitsyn on the way which I think is good considering his hard court experience. He also qualified for this event comfortably and beat Pashanksi in the first round which is a decent result. Confidence and form look pretty good and I think that makes him a decent favourite for this one. Brzezicki did very well last year reaching the 3rd round of the French, but looking at his challenger results I just see Puyol as being slightly better. He got a good win over Hernandez in the first round but I still prefer Puyol as he came through the qualifiers and has more potential.

Re: ATP Vina del Mar & Fed Cup 28th Jan - 3rd Feb

What do you think about Vassallo? for me Monaco is the best lay of this day!
Got a chance. Monaco definately struggled in the first round. I see Monaco coming through, but it could be close and I'd say Monaco is a better lay than a back definately. It's the Verdasco v Cuevas game I'm interested in, and you'd have to be crazy to back Verdasco @ 1.28;)

Re: ATP Vina del Mar & Fed Cup 28th Jan - 3rd Feb i also think Cuevas is in with a real chance here... @4,70 Bf is very generous. Verdasco´s form early in the year is normally very questionable and Cuevas seems to be ready for the "big" tour ending the year 2007 with 3 clay challenger wins... MfG Arantxa

Thought any more about the Cuevas game Mr. I?
Yeah I'm probably going to take the +4.5 games @ Pinnacle. Laying Verdasco 2-0 also seems a decent option. My concern on this game is Verdasco is playing here because of Davis Cup in Peru, so will be motivated to win a few matches. Still think Cuevas can keep it close, and if you like big dogs then I think he's a good one.

EventVerdasco - Cuevas
SelectionCuevas
Strength6/10
Date31/01/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 4.60 (Back)
ReasoningThe Uruguayan of 22 years (111th) is not known nevertheless he realizes beautiful perfs on Clay :in 2007 he won it 42 for 18 defeats with succeed on Berlocq, Hartfield, Hernandez, O.Rochus, HAASE... In the 1st round he beat the shade of Coria. Verdasco(29th) is not in good shape in this beginning of year. And I do not think he is very motivated by this tournament just before the American tour on hard. Moreover more years pass less heplays on Clay, preferring the fast surfaces. I think that Cuevas will be starving on this match.
EventMarrero - Fognini
SelectionMarrero
Strength6/10
Date31/01/2008
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 3.15 (Back)
ReasoningMarrero(289th) realizes an excellent beginning of season. 15 days ago he reached the finale of a tournament Challenger notably by beating Lapentti losing only against Ruben Ramirez-Hidalgo. He took his revenge this week against this player in qualif. Yesterday he beat Adrian Garcia while this one lead for the match to 1 set and 5-4. This Spanish plays little but is very talented.In front of him Fognini 104th has just beaten Chela but this one is completely out for several months. This Italian is also very talented but mentally it is not terrible and it has difficulty to accumulate victories. I thus tempt Marrero.

Re: ATP Vina del Mar & Fed Cup 28th Jan - 3rd Feb CUEVAS +4.5 games @ 1.84 Pinnacle. I've been dithering over this play all day, and if it wins I'll kick myslef so have to play it. It's tough to read Cuevas' performance in the first round, as can't be sure about Coria, but if Coria was playing well enough to not get hammered, I think it's a decent result to come through. I mentioned Cuevas' good form at the end of last year and that still stands. Verdasco is making his first trip to South America for a few years because of a Davis Cup tie in Peru. So he'll be motivated to get in some practice and win some matches. He beat local wildcard (noboady!) Podlipnik-Castillo 6-4 6-3 which probably should have been much easier given the difference in class. That says to me he isn't playing too well and this will be a much tougher test. I fancy Cuevas to keep this close, and he may even pull off the win, so taking this +4.5 games as a pretty safe bet.

Re: ATP Vina del Mar & Fed Cup 28th Jan - 3rd Feb Favs look good today.... FOGNINI -3.5 @ 1.82 Pinnacle. Also think Fognini straight up is a good play but I've decdided to take it with the cap from Pinnacle. Backed both these fellas in the first round so happy to see them meet in the second round :). Marrero appeared quite lucky against Garcia being down a set and Garcia serving for the match in the second. Looks like Garcia choked then Marrero was able to come through a tense third set. I'm now looking at his run in La Sarena and coming through qualifying here and thinking that's a lot of tennis for a guy like him. His last 3 matches have been tough 3 setters and look for a let down here against a quality opponent. Fognini took care of Chela comfortably and he's several classes above Marrero and should come through without problems. ROITMAN @ 1.8 Betfair. This looks generous for Roitman who I consider to be a clear favourite. H2H is 2-0 to Ventura but as I've mentioned before Roitman really improved in the second half of last year and I expect him to get it done here. Roitman should have gone further than the quarters here last year but for injury and got his revenge in the first round against Massu in 3 tough sets. Ventura beat Gaudio easily but that doesn't mean anything these days. I just have Roitman as the better player here and fully expect him to come through. HORNA @ 1.6 Betfair. Horna is here to defend his title, and after taking care of Calleri comfortably I can't see him messing up today. H2H is 1-0 to Horna winning in straight sets in Bastad last year which is pretty quick clay conditions similar to those here. Berlocq came through against Devilder in the last round but this will be a big step up. Horna has the better serve and I just like him this week so making the play.

What do you think about Gonzo??? he wants to win or not???
Of course he wants to win it's his home event and he has a 21-4 record here. Capdeville served for the 1st set against Gonzo which isn't good but he managed to win the big points. I think Hartfelds game matches up well for Gonzo. If Gonzlaez is fully fit, he wins. If not, then Hartfeld has a chance. No idea about how good Gonzos shoulder is so I'm not going to play this match:unsure. His price on Betfair hasn't move much today, which can be an indicator o an injury, so can't get any information from that. Hope you did OK laying Monaco yesterday:ok