** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

MTT-STT differences

aimar21

I'm a regular STT player but I wanna go back to MTT's for a new challange. I played lots of STTs and now when I play MTTs I feel like I'm playing the same game.. I think this is a leak even though I had some success with it.. What part of my game should I change while playing MTTs assuming I'm playing with the regular sit and go game plan? What are the biggest differences?

Re: MTT-STT differences I view the biggest difference being the payout structure - in STT's it's flatter, and 30% (usually) of the field is paid out - on MTTs 10% are paid out and the rise at the top is bigger. The impact? You should play more to win in an MTT, and more to get in the prizes in an STT - an MTT probably requires you to take more risks (without being reckless!) to build a chip stack....STTs are more about survival

Re: MTT-STT differences Totally agree with that Gaf. My MTT strategy has changed drastically used to be content just to place in the money so I used to play tight aggressive. My style has loosened up a lot in MTT's but STT's straight forward ABC poker will always suffice.

Re: MTT-STT differences Also you have to change gears a lot more in MTT's I think, in early tourney you only play premium hands, but there are many gears you have to go through to get to the Final table. You have to keep on loosing up throughout the tourney, and avoid too many showdowns I think :p

Re: MTT-STT differences The biggest difference that I see, and my biggest weakness in MTTs, is that there is a whole 'mid game' that doesn't exist in STTs. To me, the early stages play out roughly the same (tight and aggressive - make sure you survive), while the end game is the same (much more aggressive - going for the blinds and the win). Where I tend to struggle is changing gear in the mid section that doesn't really exist in MTT- when the first 30-40% are out and you have to start accumulating chips. My tactic in STTs is to play very solid until the last 4 or 5 and then pick my spots at the all-in or fold stage. So far it's done me ok. In tournaments my record is profitable but hardly spectacular, probably because I dribble out in the early money too much. I think that the other posters are correct in that you have to gamble more. My question though is when should you make that first gear change? My feeling is that Level 4 is around the right time in most tournaments and that my personal weakness is leaving it for around another two levels before changing my strategy.

Re: MTT-STT differences

The biggest difference that I see, and my biggest weakness in MTTs, is that there is a whole 'mid game' that doesn't exist in STTs. To me, the early stages play out roughly the same (tight and aggressive - make sure you survive), while the end game is the same (much more aggressive - going for the blinds and the win). Where I tend to struggle is changing gear in the mid section that doesn't really exist in MTT- when the first 30-40% are out and you have to start accumulating chips. My tactic in STTs is to play very solid until the last 4 or 5 and then pick my spots at the all-in or fold stage. So far it's done me ok. In tournaments my record is profitable but hardly spectacular, probably because I dribble out in the early money too much. I think that the other posters are correct in that you have to gamble more. My question though is when should you make that first gear change? My feeling is that Level 4 is around the right time in most tournaments and that my personal weakness is leaving it for around another two levels before changing my strategy.
I have the same problem as you welarry i cash regularly in mtt,s but don,t have enough high finishes, like you I leave it to late to step up the gears problem I have I,m always looking to limp into the money and then start to gamble a bit more when its probably to late. The one good thing I know its a major fault in my game just got to start trying to rectify it by upping the gears a little bit earlier when alot of players are tightening up as the bubble approaches. :welcometo Pl by the way.

Re: MTT-STT differences

My question though is when should you make that first gear change? My feeling is that Level 4 is around the right time in most tournaments and that my personal weakness is leaving it for around another two levels before changing my strategy.
I think you are wrong to judge this change on level - I feel it is more down to stack size (as a proportion of blinds) - your M. All the time that your M (and that of your opponents) is large enough, then you should play your standard, most profitable poker (which may be TAG, it may be LAG, or something else..) If you believe Harrington, then this change starts to occur as you move from the Green to Orange zones - that is when your M is about 20 (assuming no ante's, standard BB of double SB and a full table that's with about 30x BB) If we divide an MTT into 3 - early, mid and late, then Mid is where I feel I struggle most too.....

Re: MTT-STT differences My problem is with mid too but I believe there are few tricks with the mid M. -You should raise smaller pre-flop smth like 2.5 bb so that if you have to c-bet you spew less chips. -Always play with position so stealing pots gets easier since most of the time you don't hit the flop... -Make some all-in moves against limpers when the pot gets big -Make re-shoves. when you do these good I believe you will have success.

Re: MTT-STT differences Well I had the same problem, the gear thing ;) in mid tournament I focused on survinging more than building chip stack, so I usually end up cashing but no high finishes, until I realized that in mid tournament, when blind gets 10 to 15 times the first level, a player cannot LIMP. Either come in with a raise of 2.5 to 4 BB or you fold! This is very important, as much as stealing! raising and stealing are far more important than really winning hands! I once got to a final table just winning 5 hands (only 2 showdowns) in a 300 player field. And of course ... we must have patience and realize we cannot win them all :)