Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3

cozzy

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3

First of all, dont think Marty was getting cocky, I mean its Celtic Vs Milan doesnt take an expert to predict that Milan are the favourites. Secondly, if you have made your prediction and reasoning already in the thread then there is really no need to repost your opinion on the game. good luck with all bets but I really hope Celtic get something from this game and I have a small feeling we will David:cheers

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am sorry for posting a comment if i had known it would have caused you to kick off i would not have written it. lets forget it please
Not kicking off mate just would like some reasoning with predictions, quite nervous about tonight also lol, anyway good luck with your bets, apart from this one ;) D

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Liverpool -1.5 Liverpool are very strong at home and will look to put away an out of sorts Marseille side. Liverpool have already beaten another French side, Toulouse 4-0 at home and Marseille are evn further down the ladder from them. An opportunity for Gerrard to come back to the form he is capable of. Schalke Currently second in the Bundesliga and undefeated, Schalke will look to win their first game in the CL against a Rosenborg side, that is not quite as good as they used to be. One of their strengths was playing in freezing conditions but as this game is being played in October they don't even have that. Schalke have had a very good start to their domestic season and should win this game Valencia Very strong at home, valencia have too many quality players for Chelsea to handle. Chelsea are without Lampard and Terry, two of their best players, and with no Mourinho either, they look disorganised and spiritless. Villa should have plenty of opportunities up front to score goals Real Madrid While Real Madrid have gotten a very good start to their season, lazio have lacked form. Their leading goalscorer Rocchi is out while Madrid have Van Nistelrooy coming back, and he usually reserves some of this best games for these CL games. Werder Bremen -1.5 Bremen have come into form at the right time with a thumping of Bielfield on the weekend. Olympiacos have not won away in 31 CL matches and tonight should be no different. Olympiacos have never scored on German soil and only have one win from 6 games against German opposition. bremen should have a comfortable victory

Tip Detail
SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventValencia - Chelsea
SelectionHome (-0.25) (Asian Handicap)
Strength10/10
Date03/10/2007
Bookmaker/Price>10bet @ 1.98 (Back)
ReasoningChelsea has been through several situations before. In the past 3 seasons they’ve always had times when half the squad was injured, or where some of the main stars was performing under par, or the results have not been going their way, but they have always maintained a certain level of consistency that they never “down and out”. Even before their visit to Valencia last season, and after a disappointing 1-1 draw at home, many –including myself- were betting that they’ve already got knocked out. Alas; they went to Valencia to get a win –albeit a late late one- and Essien was the hero of the day as Chelsea progressed. The main change in the situation is actually the manager. While Chelsea had Mourinho last season, they now have Avram Grant whom has yet to prove worthy of holding his position as Chelsea’s coach. Grant may have won the league in Israel (hardly comparable to EPL) and may have not lost when he was coaching the Israeli int’l team, but he was also criticized mostly for not being able to get the team to win or play positively either. Lately it was shown that Grant doesn’t even know how to pick the best XI to start the game, and the players appear to have lost heart, with Drogba’s statement about the players having played first and foremost for Mourinho sufficing it all. So, without Terry, the backbone of Chelsea’s defence, Chelsea maybe a little bit more vulnerable. However, Terry is rumoured to be ready to play with a mask. Essien maybe back and Drogba is strongly promoted to feature. Still, with the performance of the weekend against Fulham in which Fulham was as good as Chelsea if not better, I don’t think any starting XI for Chelsea could do the trick and beat Valencia at home. Valencia on the other hand are having a good season so far, and have even won in Zaragoza in the weekend with almost have the squad out resting. The likes of Joaquin, Morientes, Albelda, Zigic and M Fernandes all didn’t feature in the Zaragoza game. However, M Fernades is doubtful, while Canizares and Marchena are definitely out. So putting it as simple as possible: Valencia are on a good for/run and Chelsea are on a poor form/run. Valencia have an almost full line up and half the team is well rested while Chelsea has influential doubts and not much depth. Valencia have a good coach and such could not be said with much confidence about Chelsea at the moment. And -most of all- Valencia want to get their revenge for last season’s defeat at home, while Chelsea are only hoping to salvage a point at best which will be good enough to them under the circumstances. Valencia won in Schalke, while Chelsea couldn’t even win at home over the underdog of the group. A win here would put Valencia clearly in the driving seat of the group, while a defeat would put Chelsea in a desperate situation so early they’d have to collect 10 points from the remaining 4 fixtures to qualify. There’s no reason for me to oppose Valencia at the Mestalla, and even more reasons to oppose Chelsea.

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Rangers stung me ( and nearly everyone else it seems :lol for a Lyon/Sevilla double so lets try and win that money back! Ok, here goes, bets for tonight:- Schalke 0-0.5 AH at 1.8 betfair. If they draw we only lose half of stake. So Rosenborg held Chelsea does not concern me too much. Chelsea are really struggling at the moment and even with a full strength team they do not try and score goals galore. Schalke away this season have already drawn with reigning champions Stuttgart and Bayern who are in terrific form. Rosenborg are not even close to the top of their own league which is nowhere near the class of the Bundesliga Liverpool/Werder win double 1.94 betfair, 1.97 Skybet. Liverpool are awesome at home in champions league so no real need to comment other than to say Marsailles are struggling AND it looks like their ray of hope Nasri could be out with illness which is a huge bonus. Breman are now coming into form after winning 8-1 at the weekend and this team is full of goals. They played really well in the defeat to Real Madrid and Olympiacos have not only started their season domestically quite poorly but don't travel too well in europe either. Also consider Liverpool clean sheet 1.77 betfair or to win to nil evens at bet365 both very good value IMO Final one and for smaller stakes is the draw between Valencia and Chelsea. Chelsea won this game 2-1 last season and although they are struggling somewhat I still think they will be tough to beat. For me there is little between the teams and if it gets to an hour or so and its all square I may lay the bet GL everyone :hope

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 I took Werder Bremen -1.25 at 1.98 with Bet365 last night but the prices have gone down. -1.5 should ofc work too. Werder Bremen should have a good chance here. This is a game they need to win if they want to advance from the group. They've been solid at home in the domestic league and they played really well against Real Madrid. Olympiakos has had a shaky start to their league and I expect them to get in trouble here. They are usually weak away in CL

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 -1.25 is Asian Handicap and 1.98 are the odds for that handicap. In order to win this bet Liverpool (in this example) must win by 2 at least. If they win by 1 you lose half of your money. I think this is it, I am no AH pro but I think this is the right answer, if not someone correct me please ;)

-1.25 is Asian Handicap and 1.98 are the odds for that handicap. In order to win this bet Liverpool (in this example) must win by 2 at least. If they win by 1 you lose half of your money. I think this is it, I am no AH pro but I think this is the right answer, if not someone correct me please ;)
Yeah that's correct. Same as 1.75 line would be half win if by 2 clear goals and full win if by a greater margin.

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 I've seen some great analysis here and wish everybody a better day than yesterday.

My picks for today: Besiktas-Porto

We all know Turkish teams are hard to beat at home and not so good when playing away as they rely heavily on the atmosphere and support provided by the home crowd.

Still, when I look at the Besiktas team I find it hard to find any above average players.

Last year at home in the UEFA Cup they beat C. Brugge 2-1 and lost to Tottenham 0-2.

Porto is a much more experienced team and are winning games even when they don't seem to play well (they were booed by their own supporters last weekend against Boavista but still won 2-0...).

Last year in the CL and away from home they beat CSAK Moskow 0-2 and Hamburg 1-3 and lost to Chelsea 2-1 and Arsenal 2-0.

I don't think Porto will loose this one and they might even pull a win here. My pick: away PK

Liverpool-Marseille

Liverpool is the clear favourite in this game no doubt about it.

Last year in the CL and at home they beat PSV 2-0, Bordeaux 3-0, Galatasaray 3-2, PSV again 1-0 and Chelsea 1-0 and only lost to Barcelona 0-1.

Liverpool won eight out of nine home games against French clubs in club competition...Marseille was the only one that avoided defeat in a 2003/2004 UEFA Cup match.

Marseille is struggling in the French league and just replaced their coach with former Belgium glory Erik Gerets taking over.

They have some quality players like Cissé and Zenden but I don't see them getting anything from tonight's game.

My pick: home -1AH/-1.5AH (Asian Handicap)

Rosenborg-Schalke

Rosenborg are a tough team to beat at home even though they're not doing so well in the Norwegian league this year.

As their coach put it: "they're looking forward to this game".

Schalke is usually a very secure team in defense and in midfield and seem to be in good form but tonight they'll be without defender C. Pander, midfielder L. Kobiashvili and forwards H. Altintop and S. Larsen.

I think both teams will see the draw as "not a bad result" and I'm risking a draw pick here.

My pick: draw

Valencia-Chelsea

Valencia is in excellent shape having won all of their last 6 games.

Last year at home in the CL they beat Olympiakos 2-0, Shakhtar 2-0 and Roma 2-1, tied 0-0 against Inter Milan and lost to Chelsea 1-2.

I must say that ever since Mourinho left and until Chelsea gets another "real" Manager (will they ever get a "real" one again? Or will they continue being just an ordinary club as they were before Mourinho arrived?) "I only trust them as far as I can throw them"...

...Chelsea has no victories and no goals scored in 4 outings in the EPL so far and will be without Frank Lampard again.

John Terry is expected to play with a mask after undergoing surgery on a fractured cheekbone last Sunday.

Last year in the CL and away Chelsea lost 1-0 to W. Bremen, drew 1-1 in Porto and 2-2 in Barcelona and won 1-3 at Levski and 1-2 at Valencia.

I don't see them getting anything from the game tonight.

My pick: home -0.5 AH (Asian Handicap)

Lazio-Real Madrid

Lazio is not doing so well in the Italian League, they have 4 draws in their last 6 games and when I look at the team I find it hard to find any above average players.

Anyway, Italian teams are usually "hard to crack" and I wouldn't be surprised if they seat at the back with 10 men looking for a counter attack goal.

Real made some huge investments again this year and are doing just fine with 5 wins and only 1 draw in their last 6 games.

Of course anything can happen tonight but I see too much of a quality difference here.

My pick: away PK

Werder Bremen-Olympiakos

Bremen surely started the season "in the wrong foot" but they seem to be "getting back on track" also as they see players returning from their long injury list.

Still and funny thing, keeper Tim Wiese got injured and will not play tonight and in form striker Sanogo is also doubtful.

IMO one of the reasons Bremen is scoring more goals is because Portuguese striker Hugo Almeida is back in the team and getting more playing time. He played the last 3 games and scored 4 goals...

Last year in the CL and at home Bremen beat Chelsea 1-0 and Levski 2-0, drawing to Barcelona 1-1.

IMO Olympiakos has a worst team than last year and they have a total of 31 away games at this level without a single victory.

I see the only possible danger coming from forward Lualua.

Last year in the CL and away from home they lost 2-0 at Valencia and drew 1-1 in Roma and 2-2 at Shakhtar.

My pick: home -1AH/-1.5AH

Celtic-AC Milan

Celtic is a tough team to beat at home and are 4-2-0 in their last 6 games.

Last year in the CL and at home they beat both Man. United and Copenhagen 1-0, Benfica 3-0 and drew 0-0 against AC Milan.

Milan seems to have more dificulty away from home and sometimes they even seem happy with the draw.

They're not doing very well lately with a 1-4-1 record in their last 6 games.

Last year in the CL and away from home they won 0-1 at Anderlecht and 0-2 at Bayern, loosing 1-0 inAthens to AEK and 3-2 to Man. United. They also drew 0-0 both at Lille and at Celtic.

Previous matchups between these two teams at Celtic resulted in a 0-0 draw (2004 and 2007 for the Champions League).

My pick: home +0.5AH (Asian Handicap)

Benfica-Shakhtar

Hardest game of the day for me to handicap as I'm a Benfica fan and will be at the game tonight.

I'm hoping for an unbiased analysis as much as possible.

Benfica is not playing very well lately (and that shows with only 40,000 people expected at the game instead of the usual 60 to 65,000 in CL games). They seem secure at the back (hard to score against them plus Brazilian Internacional Central defender Luisão, who's a leader on the pitch, has returned to the team which will improve their defense and the team as a whole) but lately they are unable to score the several goal opportunities they create during matches with strikers Nuno Gomes and Cardozo looking out of shape (well, strikers need goals to have their confidence levels up...if they score one everything seems to change for the better).

Last year at home in the CL Benfica beat Celtic 3-0, Copenhagen 3-1 and lost to Man. United 0-1 in a game that they played very well (just not enough to win).

Shakhtar is coached by "old fox" Mircea Lucescu which I'm sure they will play for the draw and look for a goal on a counter attack, corner kick or something similar.

They have some very good Brazilian players in the team (Brandão, Fernandinho, Ilsinho and William) and Italian striker Lucarelli.

For Benfica this is a "must win" situation as even a draw is a bad result after they lost 2-1 at AC Milan in the opening round.

For Shakhtar a draw would be a great result as it would leave them with 4 points and ahead of both Benfica and Celtic no matter what happens tonight in the Celtic-AC Milan game.

My pick: home -0.5AH

Good luck!

They have some quality players like Cissé and Zenden but I don't see them getting anything from tonight's game.

My pick: home -1AH/-1.5AH (Asian Handicap)

Great post JC but broke me arse laughing at that line!!! Zenden aint quality. He's kack :spank

Great post JC but broke me arse laughing at that line!!! Zenden aint quality. He's kack :spank
Thanks gerrie26681. Well, regarding Zenden I would say that I saw him playing great football for his National team (Holland) and also for Barcelona (before he moved to England) in the past. Some players just don't adapt to the EPL for a number of reasons and maybe that was the case with him. And he's not getting any younger (nobody is :)...) either... Cheers.

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Celtic - Milan Picks: Over 2.5 8/10 Celtic +1 3/10 Celtic HW 1/10 Reasons: Ive been a Milan fan for a very long time and its clear theres trouble in the club. Not enough scoring positions, no goals, defense leaking, Anchelotti making frantic changes, no excuse for the abouve as last year and pressure is higher as defending champions.. Milan has always had trouble v teams from Brittan. Ive heard Celtic is not as strong as last year but neither is Milan. Its Kaka's 50th game in Europe so maybe he'll score for Milan, But my guess is that Celtic will win this and Goals will poor in this time. Score prediction 3-1, or 2-2.

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Correct me if I'm wrong but the last two games between Celtic vs Milan finished with thrilling 0-0. Ok, at San Siro it was mailny due to Boruc's heroics in goal but overall when these two meet it's difficult to imagine a goal feast. free kick wonder, Nakamura is doubtful and Jan Ven of Hess is also missing up front for the Hoops which helps my case lay over 1.5 @1.5, Betfair, to trade out at HT

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 My double for tonight would be Liverpool and Real Madrid. Liverpool always do well in europe and there is no reason to suggest tonight will be any different. And with a very near full strength squad available i fancy a comfortable win for liverpool. Real Madrid are in form this season and although lazio wont be an easy win i feel madrid have enough quality to take a 1 or 2-0 win. As for the previous post i feel that celtic will be up and out of form but quality team.... a draw looks on the cards for me.... but i wouldnt bet on it! Have extra funds available after a watford, man u, mk dons treble came in :-)

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 it seems that Thorsten Frings return to the squad after a long injury. The midfielder is very important for Werder Bremen and I think that he´s ready to play 30 minutes. Not enough for the starting lineup but good for the second half. An important return for Bremen infront of this match. :ok

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Lazio/Real Madrid under 2.5 @1.80 This should be a tight encounter. This is Lazio's biggest game in years and the absence of Rocchi will hurt their attack. Lazio have had trouble generating offense in Serie A, they needed a tremendous 35 yard strike from Kolarov on the weekend to tie 1-1. I believe Lazio is capable of holding down Real as long as they give help to their RB. Chelsea/Valencia Draw @3.20 Chelsea haven't looked good lately but they can't afford to drop points here. Valencia are always tough at home but they will need something to special to crack Chelsea here. Chelsea knocked Valencia out last season with a goal in the 90th minute to win 2-1, I see stalemate here.

Tip Detail
EventWerder Bremen - Olympiakos
SelectionOver 4 goals
Strength10/10
Date03/10/2007
Bookmaker/PriceEurobet @ 3.75 (Back)
ReasoningWerder scored 12 goals in their last 2 home Bundesliga games. That’s about enough for me to bet on them at home to Olympiakos, and take over 3.5 goals too. 8-1 over Armenia isn’t exactly a “normal” outcome. Bielefeld were just a point behind Werder before the game, and eventhough they had conceded 13 in 7 games, it would still not make conceding 8 in one game a predictable outcome. 4-1 over title holders Stuttgart prior to that was also a massive win. One would hardly expect Stuttgart to concede 4 even when they are totally out of form. To add to the over 3.5 bet, Werder have conceded 1 in each of their last 3 home games, and –even better- Olympiakos have scored in 3 of the 4 games they’ve played so far this season, including a 6-2 win (at home) over UEFA Cup participants OFI. However, both away fixtures they played ended in draws (0-0 at Panathinaikos & 1-1 at Aris). Another draw they got was at home to Lazio in their first fixture of this group, so I can safely assume they’re not yet ready to kick-off a running streak of theirs, and it certainly can’t start in Bremen either. The Greeks (and I mean ANY Greek squad) traditionally have a poor away form/record. The Greeks usually play much much better at home that on their travels. Now with a home draw to out of form Lazio it even looks like Olympiakos have already lost the chance to compete for a qualification ticket. To me, Lazio is the 3rd ranked team of the group, and if they can’t beat Lazio in Greece they certainly have no home to win in Rome, not to mention not a chance to get anything from the mighty Real or the high scoring Werder. Another problem for Olympiakos is they can’t defend a lead. Against Aris they took the lead and ended up with a point. Against Lazio they also let a 1-0 lead slip away, and even on the game against OFI they scored a goal 1st then conceded an equalizer before they went on to win the game. Olympiakos also seem to find it hard to have maximum ball possession. They lose the ball easily and cannot win it back with ease. Only Lua Lua would be considered a real threat IMHO, eventhough Werder are also traditionally quite vulnerable in their defence, but it was not the case when they barely lost 1-2 to Real a fortnight ago. Bremen’s injury crisis still carries on, but they seem to have found a way around it. Sanogo is out injured. Thus Almeida maybe joined by Rosenberg upfront. Key player Diego will certainly be there at midfield, so that’s about have the problem solved. It remains to be seen if Frings will make it, and if he does it will be a big boost. Wiese is injured, so Vander will start between the posts. All in all I cannot see beyond a clear home win, and by no less than 2.

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 madrid seems WAY overpriced to me at 2.30. lazio is good in serie a which is got a lot of pretty crappy sides...18 or even 16 teams would be much better for the league. IMO there is more than significant difference in class and even though it's far from sure deal value is definitely on real which is finally playing good under bernd schuster. also like unders on milan which is having huge troubles scoring, gilardino seems jinxed and even more inefficient than last season (if that's possible:\). milan is toothless right now, but doesn't concede easily either so i'm looking at unders tonight.

Tip Detail
EventLiverpool - Marseille
SelectionHome Win-To-Nil
Strength10/10
Date03/10/2007
Bookmaker/PriceGamebookers @ 1.95 (Back)
ReasoningLiverpool run in the league is very much slowing down with one goal scored to their name in the last 3 games. However, they’re still unbeaten and have conceded only twice in 7 games (and they both came from the penalty spot, and one was even not at alla ligit penalty kick at all). In Europe, they are also almost invincible, and the draw in Portugal also was a result of a poor penalty kick decision. In sum, Liverpool have not conceded a single goal this season from open play of set-pieces. Reina certainly is working on improving his already excellent clean sheets %age. Marseille surprised me by winning over Besiktas at home!! The outcome does not cover for the poor erformance the fans are getting used to see from their team since the dawn of the season. Erik Gerets is assuming command now in Marseille but w/o Masri it will be difficult for him to change the team form around massively. Back in August, the Reds stuffed another French side (namely Toulouse) by 4-0 at Anfield after having already won 1-0 in France. Pennant is s amiss on the Reds side as he is suspended following the red card in Portugal, but Rafa will have no other abscentees to worry about. Liverpool last 2 games were won on the road. The last one at the JJB was hardly inspiring though with Benayoun’s goal coming towards the end (75’), but they did pretty well in the Carling Cup fixture at Reading in which Torres netted a hat-trick and the Reds triumphed by 4-2. I think Liverpool should be able to keep a clean sheet here, as well as grab the whole 3 points. Whether it be by more than 1 is questionable as I’m not sure (and I suspect noone is except Raf himself) which of Liverpool’s strikers will start the game and which will be sidelined. This rotation thing is not doing them any good in fact, and the last 3 league games show it clearly. One would hardly expect Torres, Kuyt, Voronin & Crouch to score only once in 270 minutes. (Ok.. they scored NIL, as it was the Israeli midfielder that actually ended the goal drought in the league).

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 I have treble of: Benfica v Shakhtar - Over 1.5 goals Lazio v Real Madrid - Over 1.5 goals Celtic v Milan - Under 3.5 goals Those three as a treble returns at odds of around 2.44 or so with Betfair. Reasons have been explained already with regards to Celtic and Milan game. It is very likely to be under 2.5 goals but felt that the bet would give coverage if it was under 3.5 goals. Just in case an early goal forced for a more open game. Lazio v Real Madrid - I can see Real Madrid winning, think it's likely they will score at least one with the attacking options available to them. Van Nistelrooy and Raul ought to score at least one between them and whether the other goal comes from a Real Madrid player or a Lazio player is immaterial as I do believe it will happen. Benfica v Shakhtar - Out of the bet, this is the most dubious one of the lot in my opinion. However, I felt that Shakhtar looked threatening attacking wise when they played home to Celtic and I feel they will want another good result to cement their place in the group as one of the top 2 teams. Could be a tight game but there ought to be the goals there which sees it go over 1.5 goals.

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 1 Valencia v Chelsea (Backing Valencia @ 2.28) 2 Benfica v Shakhtar (Backing Benfica @ 2.06) 3 Liverpool v Marseille (Backing Liverpool @ 1.33) 4 West Brom v Stoke (Backing West Brom @ 1.65) 4-Folds Selections Odds Stake Potential win 1,2,3 and 4 10.24 £5.00 £46.20 1 Colchester v QPR (Backing Colchester @ 1.85) 2 Lazio v Real Madrid (Backing Real Madrid @ 2.13) 3 Rosenborg v Schalke (Backing Schalke @ 2.02) 4 Liverpool v Marseille (Backing Liverpool @ 1.33) 4-Folds Selections Odds Stake Potential win 1,2,3 and 4 10.53 £5.00 £47.65 1 Valencia v Chelsea (Backing Valencia @ 2.28) 2 Rosenborg v Schalke (Backing Schalke @ 2.02) 3 W Bremen v Olympiacos (Backing W Bremen @ 1.4) 4 Colchester v QPR (Backing Colchester @ 1.85) 4-Folds Selections Odds Stake Potential win 1,2,3 and 4 11.93 £5.00 £54.65 1 West Brom v Stoke (Backing West Brom @ 1.65) 2 Lazio v Real Madrid (Backing Real Madrid @ 2.13) 3 Benfica v Shakhtar (Backing Benfica @ 2.06) 4 W Bremen v Olympiacos (Backing W Bremen @ 1.4) 4-Folds Selections Odds Stake Potential win 1,2,3 and 4 10.12 £5.00 £45.60 Based on mine, and others opinions that I have read on here ;)

Celtic - Milan Picks: Over 2.5 8/10 :ok Celtic +1 3/10 :ok Celtic HW 1/10 :ok Reasons: Ive been a Milan fan for a very long time and its clear theres trouble in the club. Not enough scoring positions, no goals, defense leaking, Anchelotti making frantic changes, no excuse for the abouve as last year and pressure is higher as defending champions.. Milan has always had trouble v teams from Brittan. Ive heard Celtic is not as strong as last year but neither is Milan. Its Kaka's 50th game in Europe so maybe he'll score for Milan, But my guess is that Celtic will win this and Goals will poor in this time. Score prediction 3-1, or 2-2.
:ok