** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3

cozzy

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Man Utd -0.75 AH @ 2.02 Canbet 5/10 Well I think it's fair to say that the Red Devils haven’t exactly set the world on fire this season but have a habit of winning matches. At the back they have been rock solid and are conceding few goals, its giving them the platform needed to scrape through and collect 3 points in an ugly fashion. But we all know how much quality and potential they have in attack, surely only a matter of time before they really fire. I think they will beat Roma tonight and they could be facing the Italian team at a good time. They lost 1-4 at hone to Inter at the weekend which was surely a big body blow to the team. They wont be having any fond memories of Old Trafford considering their big defeat here last season. I doubt it will be a hammering but I think something like 2-0 or even 3-0 is quite possible. I'll take Utd on a -0.75 AH, I think the line probably should be -1 to be honest, so I consider it as value. Lyon -1 AH @ 1.90 Fonbet 5/10 Well I know a lot about this team and its clear to tell that they are just starting to get back into some good form recently. Lyon are playing some nice football and except for the defeat against Barca a few weeks ago they have won 5 of their last 7 fixtures, scoring plenty of goals in the process. In the CL they have a terrific record at Le Stade Gerland and its vital that they get a victory tonight. Rangers are probably the weakest side in the group and any slip up could be hugely costly. The visitors beat Stuttgart on the opening day, but they are different opponents at Ibrox rather than on the road. This will be a real struggle and they will need plenty of luck to leave France with any points. Lyon should be just too good and they have no new fresh injury concerns ahead of the game. Very few teams walk away from this stadium with anything and to me it would be a major surprise if Walter Smith’s men avoid defeat. I’ll take Lyon -1 here @ 1.90 with some reasonable 5/10 stakes, it should be a comfortable win.

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Before anyone starts I know all about Celtic's home record at Parkhead in Europe and Milans stuttering performances in Serie A (they've cost me a few bob these past few weeks) Milan at 2.22 on Betfair to win has to be taken in my book. So often in Serie A teams go to the San Siro and sit back 10men behind the ball and let Milan try to break them down. Milan do not have a target man to hit long balls to so have to play the ball through midfield with Seedorf, Kaka, Ambrosini, Gattuso, Pirlo etc. Celtic always attack at Parkhead. But Celtic have a suspect backline and Milans midfield can take advantage of this. I cannt believe how high Milan are priced for this and would've thought maybe 2.00 would be the top price available. Milan to win either 2-0 or else 3-1. I remember last years game Gilardinho missed a couple of glorious chances and Milan should've beaten Celtic.

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 i fancy arsenal strongly and 1.7 is good enough for me to take that. we're looking strong at the moment and from what i have heard bucharest are struggling a bit since hagi's departure. i'll take valencia too at 2.3 or so, they are in form against a chelsea team that has simply seen better days. i'll probably take schalke away to rosenborg at 2.2 if it goes back to that. finally real madrid are good enough and well enough in form for me to back them at over evens away in rome.

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Gone for a lay of Roma away to Utd. Think i might take Utd to win the match as well but will hold out til the teams are named as I'd like to see Saha start the match instead of Tevez. Probably place the bet 10mins in running as I can gage how Utd set the tempo

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Morning Everyone hope you all got to see the villa spurs match 4-4 wow Anyway back to champs league lets try pick 4 teams that we think have a great shout...at the minute were just reeling of names lets put a bet together ok mine is Barca, Lyon, Benfica, Real Madrid:gimme

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3

AC Milan are off form lately' date=' think 2 points of last 3 games in the league and finding it hard to score goals. I wouldn't be so convinced that they would beat Celtic. Remember they didnt last season either so have either side massively changed?[/quote']Agree Djilon, the bookies have the carrot out for this one. Nothing quite like watching a team to gauge their form and after seeing AC at home to Catania on Sunday, I was very unimpressed, they really struggled. I think Celtic would have had a good chance to win this with Kenny Miller in the side, maybe a draw is the call if Celtic concentrate at the back.possibly 0-0 and under 2.5.

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Sporting lisbon 12/5 with coral .... Great posting Porto777 Also what about porto to beat besiktas 15/8??? I think after reading your post on Kiev i am on Sporting for sure lets hope liedson can use his pace and exploit the weakness of kiev at the back

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Thinking of doing 2 accumulators for the games coming up in the next 12 hours. Can I please get some feedback? Number 1: Manchester United (Manchester Utd. are expected to win here even though they have a tough assignment against Roma who is of course doing very well in the start to their domestic season. At home here I can't really seeing Utd losing it, they have no squad problems, I haven't been extremely impressed with their form to date in the PL but once again, how can you see this powerhouse losing?) Lyon (It's been noted that the traveling form of the Scottish teams is fairly bad. Lyon are very strong and it will be hard for any team to beat them at home this season) Sporting Lisbon (I do think this team is overpriced. Their form in their domestic league is no real justification for being so high. Also Porto's post has given me great insight into Dinamo Kiev. I think it's worth it.) Number 2: (Some reasonings listed above) Manchester United Lyon Inter Milan (Inter Milan are always an unknown quantity in the Champions League. No real worries getting through the Group Stages and that's why I'm expecting them to win here. With PSV winning and Inter losing on Matchday 1, I think Inter will come out the stronger at home where as PSV won't be overly concerned with losing to Inter away. That's my reasoning anyway and I'm sticking to it! haha) Barcelona (I tip Stuttgart to finish last in their group. Barca are a far superior team despite throwing up some surprising results in their domestic games so far this season. Even though they are in Germany, I think Barcelona will win easy)

Tip Detail
SportFootball (Euro Cups)
EventMan Utd v Roma
SelectionMan Utd
Strength10/10
Date02/10/2007
Bookmaker/PriceBlue Square @ 1.72 (Back)
ReasoningHome advantage for Man Utd should be enough to see off Roma. Its a competition I think United will be taking very seriously this year I they wont want to qualify the hard way. I can see a comfortable 2 v 0 win here.
Close Window

Tip Detail
EventArsenal
SelectionSteaua Bucharest V Arsenal
Strength6/10
Date02/10/2007
Bookmaker/Price>Betfred @ 1.66 (Back)
ReasoningArsenal are playing superb football at the moment and they come up against an average team. Arsenal are scoring at ease at the moment and I dont see things changing in this game.

Tip Detail
EventLyon v Rangers
SelectionUnder 2.5 goals
Strength6/10
Date02/10/2007
Bookmaker/PriceLadbrokes @ 1.86 (Back)
ReasoningI can see 2 sides here who will be playing it very tight. Rangers would probably take a 0 v 0 draw or might try and nick it with the single goal. On the other hand Lyon would probably take a 1 v 0 home win and sit on that. I see quite a boring game here.

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 While I was reading I didn't understand why all of you think that Stuttgart are a mediocre team? They are the champions of Germany and they didn't sell nobody this summer.. Yes, they have some bad results and Barcelona won 1-4 and 4-1 last two matches with T.Henry and L.Messi on fire. I think that in this group the team who win points against Barca will qualify in the next stage and I think that Stutti is not so bad at home and 1.65-1.7 for away win is not SO GOOD price. 2006/2007 season in Bundesliga Stuttgart had only 3 draws and 2 losts at home and Barca was not so good in away games. This is CL and a club like Stuttgart who is a newcomer this will be a hell of a game. So I don't think it will be easy for Barca.. Furthermore, it will be difficult for them with the german team looking for points.

Agree Djilon, the bookies have the carrot out for this one. Nothing quite like watching a team to gauge their form and after seeing AC at home to Catania on Sunday, I was very unimpressed, they really struggled. I think Celtic would have had a good chance to win this with Kenny Miller in the side, maybe a draw is the call if Celtic concentrate at the back.possibly 0-0 and under 2.5.
I think the U2.5 goals is definitely the call from this game given the lack of AC Milan firepower. Think AC are a bit like Man U, in that both sides should have the attacking flair to score but neither of them has a player in the style of a Van Nistelrooy who will put chances away. Instead they rely on deep laying forwards to score consistently when by in large that doesn't appear to be their game right now.

Agree Djilon, the bookies have the carrot out for this one. Nothing quite like watching a team to gauge their form and after seeing AC at home to Catania on Sunday, I was very unimpressed, they really struggled. I think Celtic would have had a good chance to win this with Kenny Miller in the side, maybe a draw is the call if Celtic concentrate at the back.possibly 0-0 and under 2.5.
Kenny Miller no longer plays for Celtic my friend, he is down at Derby now and scoring goals :\

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Hmmm. Trying to think who the potential banana skin is and I suppose Steaua Bucharest and Stuttgart could be the ones that might save the bookies a fortune tonight. I suppose there's gotta be a fair few Arsenal, Barcelona, Man United and possibly Lyon and Sevilla accas going on tonight...it'll be a hell of a black Tuesday if they all come in as I assume the payouts across the industry could be £10 million+.

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Hi all regarding the Man Utd game this evening, there has been some news of injury worries for Man U, Vidic, Van der Sar and Brown all doubts over the game however Hargreaves expected to be in contention. In my opinion even if these three players dont make it tonight I still see a Man U win (1-0, 2-1 possibly). Tonight I also feel Lyon are a banker, they lost their first game to Barca 3-0 and a home game to Rangers ( who drew 1-1 at the weekend to Motherwell ) will be a perfect opportunity for Lyon to get points on the board. Man U , Lyon double for me tonight. Good luck with asll bets ;)

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Utd -v- Roma Though the build-up to this game has focused on Roma gaining revenge, Spalletti is pragmatic enough to recognise that avoiding defeat would be a satisfactory result, while the pressure is also on United to rediscover their goal-scoring touch. United are still grinding out results and we all know results like the 8 goal thriller doesn't happen very often in European football. Manchester United 1-0 Roma. UNDER 2.5 goals is 1.99 with Betfair

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Stuttgart -v- Barca All eyes will be on Barca’s Brazilian playmaker, Ronaldinho, in tonight at Stuttgart’s Gottlieb-Daimler Stadion. Dino has missed three games since Barca beat Lyon 3-0 at the Nou Camp on matchday one, and though injury was cited, other sources suggest it was a punishment for his unprofessional conduct away from the pitch. In any case, Stuttgart coach, Armin Veh, should worry more about Lionel Messi and Thierry Henry. Both scored against Lyon, and Messi has added another five in three subsequent La Liga games, while Henry broke his Primera duck on the weekend with a hat-trick at Levante. Thierry Henry can build on his hat-trick at the weekend and is 2.62 with Coral to score 'ANYTIME'

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 Man United LAY (At whatever odds Betfair has this evening) I presume there's a good bit of money going on the home team here, espeically after what happened last year with the 7-1 victory over the Italians. The price may also have been influenced by Roma's 4-1 home defeat at the weekend to Serie Champions Inter. But I have a feeling that Roma will play a different sort of game this time round to halt United and settle for the one point. If we get to 25 minutes played with no goal I'll be confident enough of Roma securing at least a point. Also, United haven't looked good at all this season. Ferguson said that the game against Chelsea was probably the best they've played so far - they looked pretty dire to me in fairness. Two fortunate goals in that game and there were a few crosses that went in to the penalty area when Rooney and Tevez were outside the box looking for the ball. They need a striker that will do what Ruud did so well when he was there. So providing that I'm happy with the team line up of Roma, I'll be opting for a lay of United.

Re: Champions League Oct 2 - Oct 3 I'm going to buck the trend here and take Rangers +1 @7/4 with Sporting Bet. Lyon despite not being at their best are a much better side than Rangers which I doubt few would disagree with. This game though suits Rangers more than it suits Lyon. Perrin is under pressure to get all 3 points as anything less even this early would be disasterous. The pressure is off Rangers but more importantly for them they set up better in their 4-5-1 defending a game rather than being expected to win it. Lyon will find it very hard in midfield against 5 men with Hemdani sweeping up behind Thomson and Ferguson and protecting the defence. If Rangers come out top there then Lyon will find it very hard to be creative. The wide Rangers midfield players will double of on with the full backs and make it very hard for the Lyon wide players to produce. In all Rangers will have everyone behind the ball congesting space and frustrating Lyon. For this reason I don't think it's as straight forward a win for Lyon as everyone suspects. At 7/4 I'm willing to take a small stakes gamble on Rangers not losing the game. I might also through in unders and a +2 handicap at larger stakes.