Euro 2004-I can't see England winning their qualifying group

Guest MattyNeth

Guest MattyNeth

It happens time after time. When we all think England will do the business they disappoint. After World Cup 98, we were still on a high after an unlucky 10 man defeat on pens to Argentina. First game in the Euro 2000 qualifiers was a 2-1 defeat away to Sweden. In case you've all forgotten we then drew with Bulgaria home and away, and then drew at home with Sweden. We should have won the group but scrambled into 3rd. Looking at the World Cup 2000 qualifying we should have won every game except the German games, but we drew with Greece at home and Finland away. In our qualifying group for Euro 2004, we have Turkey, Slovakia, Macedonia, Lietchenstein. Turkey are very much an improving side. I anticipate a home draw with them and a loss away in one of the last games of the group. That puts the pressure on to win every other game. Our first game is Slovakia away and that will be incredabily difficult. There will be a full house and they will have everything to play for. We may lose the game. Overall, England are a ridulous 1/4 to win the group. The value must be on Turkey to win it. Any opinions?

Guest toshibakid

england i think turkey are improving but dont feel they can even match england for top spot in this england will win the group no problems.

Guest TheDaddy7

Re: LoL The first match away in Slovakia might be tricky if we have a good world cup, but if it goes badly there will be a greater desire to knuckle down and do the business. The Turks are decent but have never travelled well. Cant imagine anyone would want to back a 1/4 shot which wont be realised for 18 months though.

Guest Sir Puntalot

Re: LoL Turkey is an apt name for them, the sensible money would be on England even on past qualifying statistics I feel.

Guest pascal

Turkeys away form

Quote:

" The Turks are decent but have never travelled well "

Believe it or not, Turkey didnt lose a single away match in qualifying for either WC2002 (won3 drew1) or Euro2000 (w2 d2). If they are going to slip up at all, it is just as likely that they will do it at home. This is what they did 2 years ago when the lost at home to Finland 4 days after beating Germany. They did the same trick in qualification for WC 2002. Both Slovakia and Macedonia were in Turkey's group (gp4) then aswell. Against both teams they won away but could only draw at home. However, this time around they have a very big carrot hanging in front of them. As a resident of Turkey I know only too well that Turkey v England has become a major grudge match. The media has a hey day when these teams meet. Not only do they regurgitate the English fan = hooligan bit, but they also love dwelling on previous failures. Believe it or not they have never scored against us. As I remember from a total of 9 meetings the aggregate score is 31-0 to England. Turkey finished 2nd in qualification for the last 2 major tournaments and would love nothing more dearly than to finish 1st above England this time. This will be on their minds in every match. Turkey got their wish to play England at home in the last of the qualification matches after UEFA was called in as an arbitrator and had a "draw" for it. They know they can beat Slovakia and Macedonia away and they fully expect the final match to be the decisive one and they may well be right!Almost certainly it will be played in Istanbul instead of a larger, safer and less intimidating provincial stadium. England may be favourites to win this group. But remember we are not in 2004 yet. We are still in 2002. Our first match is in the autumn and in our last qualifying match we struggled to beat Greece at home. And even if we dont slip up along the way we could still easily find ourselves needing to take a point from Istanbul. I couldnt agree with you more MattyNeth, 1/4 is ridicuous.