Midweek Friendlies

Guest Young Lumper

Guest Young Lumper

Hey everybody! Internationals are back. There is a huge programme of friendlies this midweek and i was wondering if anybody had any selections? I have not seen the odds yet but i expect the trio of Spain, Germany and France would pay decently if permed together. They are all away to lowly opposition who they should be much too strong for. They have all got a point to prove after the world cup as well. Northern Ireland stand a chance of winning at home to Cyprus. All of the squad are back playing competitively and Cyprus have never really made any kind of impact on the international stage.

Guest Young Lumper

Re: Midweek Friendlies Just to let you know the odds of my picks: Northern Ireland v Cyprus (1) 4/5 Hungary v Spain (2) 8/11 Tunisia v France (2) 8/13 Bulgaria v Germany (2) 5/6 All odds are with Hills. I would also just like to say that these are not my finalised selections and are only the result of a quick browse. I need some views on these matches and thoughts about any other of the games. I know the world cup was a burial ground for a few of us and that friendlies are a little unpredictable but surely the quality of the three major european teams playing away is too much for the minnows who provide the opposition. Help is required.

Guest OllieO

Re: Midweek Friendlies Of course, a lot depends on what kind of team is getting put out. I'm not sure that the domestic teams will be keen to let their best players go for just friendlies.

Guest winfrank

Re: Midweek Friendlies hi I've just found this web site it's great been football beting for a year now and need some good tips here my tips for midweek FOOTBALL 1.N Ireland 2.Turkey 3.Ukraine 4.Estonia 5.Germany 6.Newcastle 7.Falkrik odds for a £5 about=£142.52

Guest OddsAgainst

Re: Midweek Friendlies Hi winfrank and welcome to the PL. You may find it beneficial to have a read of the board guidelines before your next post. Hope you enjoy the PL.

Guest winfrank

Midweek Friendlies 1.N Ireland to beat Cyprus,Cyprus are a good team at times beating Greece away last year put Lost to them this year and lost to the czech in a close game.put I think N Ireland have a good chance here especily if the weather is wet and cold the boys in the south will freeze N Ireland last wins were..... 06.10.2001 A Malta W - 0:1 05.09.2001 H Iceland W - 3:0 these team are poor and so is Cyprus Iceland beat Cyprus a home 4 0 on the 06 10 2001... N Ireland beat Iceland at home 3 0.. tell me what you think...?

Guest winfrank

Re: Midweek Friendlies 2.Turkey are a good side when the going get's tough Georgia have not won away in there last 6 matches Turkey lost to Brazil 1 0 in a very close game in the world cup my money is on the Turk's......

Guest winfrank

Re: Midweek Friendlies 3.It's a very long way to travel for the Iran side I think Ukraine will do well a home 4.Estonia won a home to Russia 2:1 and away to Saudi Arabia 0:2 not bad...the team thay play this week are no match with 1 win in there last 6 it's got to be Estonia...? 5.Germany the only win that Bulgaria has had in the last six game was 2_0 over Malta German's have goal keeper problems but this side are good look at the world cup games played....?

Be Carefule on Germany Bulgaria are 11/4, might not win but Germany may not be the banker you think, see below from BBC: Liverpool's Dietmar Hamann is the latest Germany player to withdraw from Rudi Voeller's squad for the friendly international against Bulgaria on Wednesday. Dortmund defender Torsten Frings and Leverkusen forward Oliver Neuville had already joined goalkeeper Oliver Kahn and Schalke's Joerg Boehme on the sidelines. Another Dortmund defender, Christoph Metzfelder, faces a late fitness test. Voeller has called up Werder Bremen's Tim Borowski and Fabian Ernst to fill the gaps vacated by Frings and Neuville. Bayern Munich's Thomas Linke is a surprise inclusion in the 20-player squad. Linke, who won his 41st cap in the World Cup final, said he was retiring from international football to spend more time with his young family, but the 32-year-old defender changed his mind after meeting Voeller last week. Bulgaria coach Plamen Markov hopes the friendly will lift his side ahead of the European Championship qualifiers. "This is important for us as (a victory) would make the players more self-confident ahead of the start of our qualifier away to Belgium on 7 September," he said.

Guest crowie1969

Wednesday night I am not going to repeat the old saying "I never bet on international friendlies but..." cos I do and here are my bets for midweek! Croatia - Currently 4-9 with Corals and nearly 1-2 with Betfair (I am sure you could get that if you stuck you back up at that price). Reasoning - Wales are a very poor side, the shock win over Germany apart. Also, as is typical with many of the home nations prior to these type of friendlies, Wales are without a number of first choice players. Ryan Giggs, Nathan Blake, Iwan Roberts, Jason Koumas and Steve Jenkins withdrew after playing weekend games for their clubs. They join Robbie Savage and Robert Page out of the selected squad, while Newcastle duo Gary Speed and Craig Bellamy were not considered originally. Manager Mark Hughes has called-up Paul Trollope of Northampton, Norwich's Chris Llewellyn and David Vaughan of Crewe to the squad. Unfortunately when you are calling up young players from Northampton and Crewe then you cannot expect to go to Croatia and get a result. I am also tempted by the ht/ft on Croatia at Corals at 11-10. The Croatians have named a younger squad, leaving out many of the old timers from the World Cup squad (something I think they need to do). Croatia squad Pletikosa, Butina, Zivkovic, R Kovac, Å imic, Å imunic, Vugrinec, N Kovac, Tapalovic, Tomas, Rapaic, Maric, Å aric, S Maric, Vranjes, Leko, Petric, Bazina, M Maric, Vlaovic. From the names listed that looks good enough to get me backing them, especially as many will be looking to confirm their places for the Euro 2004 qualifying campaign.

Guest crowie1969

Wednesday night One more pick, Denmark to win in Scotland, currently 2.65 on Betfair. Reasoning - I am Scottish and unfortunately I have NO faith in the current squad of players. Of the strikers, Dobie and Kyle are not first choices and Stevie Thompson is not international class. Matteo has just pulled out through injury and Dailly got a run around at Newcastle tonight. Denmark should have far too much class and pace for Scotland at a great price but would be interested in hearing some Danish thoughts (De Han?). Also considering backing the Danish U21's on Betfair at about 2.6 as again Scotland have nothing of note at this level either. Final thought it Cyprus to avoid defeat in N Ireland but I will have a think about that tomorrow and try and post something if I fancy it more.

Guest Young Lumper

Re: Wednesday night I've seen a lot of interesting replies and i have got to say that i am looking forward to Wednesday. I feel positive about it and a little bit on Bulgaria may be just the trick. Ukraine looks like the real banker to me, Iran have had to travel the world and will surely be exhausted. Not only that, Ukraine are a much classier team anyway. A match nobody has picked up on yet really is Romania Vs. Greece. Romania are usually world cup regulars and will surely have a point to prove in the European championships 2004. This friendly triumph is sure to be a confidence booster for the road ahead. 'The Darkest Hour Is The One Before Dawn'

Guest chillymonster

Re: Wednesday night I agree crowie1969 about Scotland, hate to bet against my home team but.......I like the look and price of Denmark. I'm thinking of a treble....Holland (6/5), Denmark (5/4) & Spain (8/11). Anyone got any thoughts on this? Was thinking of swaping Spain for Switzerland but don't know any info on them. Regards ChillyMonster

Guest toshibakid

Northen ireland look one to oppose There the worst side the developed world has seen,wales are better,scotland are better and lichenstein are probaly as good as NI,Northen Ireland should beat the cypriots,but i wouldnt put nutthin on them,i seen a program and een the northern ireland fans where saying thank god for the permier league we can support Liverpool,Man u,Arsenal,they all seem to win.are team is so poor,why dont we win,neil lennon fakeing injurys cause he is ashamed to play for them,The cypriots shocked greeks and so on in recent times,Pooorly value pick is cyprus.I will put up a lot of value picks.today or tommorow. Cyprus are value @4/1 and 5/1.

Guest Da Hannanah

... Hmmmmm... I agree on Scotland not being much of a team these days, so initially, the price sounds good. But the factor of motivation is on your side, and in a friendly that counts for a lot, I am afraid. The Danish squad: Peter Skov-Jensen FC Midtjylland Thomas Sørensen Sunderland Kasper Bøgelund PSV Eindhoven Morten Wieghorst, BIF René Henriksen Panathinaikos Niclas Jensen Manchester City Martin Laursen AC Milan Steven Lustü Lyn Oslo Thomas Gravesen Everton FC Claus Jensen Charlton Athletic FC Christian Poulsen FC Schalke 04 Jesper Grønkjær Chelsea FC Michael Silberbauer, AaB Peter Løvenkrands Glasgow Rangers FC Jan Michaelsen Panathinaikos FC Dennis Rommedahl PSV Eindhoven Ebbe Sand FC Schalke 04 Jon Dahl Tomasson AC Milan Helveg and Jorgensen are out with injuries, while Heintze, Tofting and Kjaer have decided to call it a day on their international careers. Likely lineup: Sorensen, Jensen, Lauersen, Henriksen, Bøgelund, Poulsen, Gravesen, Thomasson, Rommedahl, Løvenkrands/Grønkjaer, Sand Although the game will be live on TV, it hasn't been that much of a concersations topic - people seem to be a lot more interested in the breakthrough of LOvenkrands and Thomassons new career in AC Milan. Most of the players have started their season by now, so form won't be an issue, but I am not so sure about their focus. LOvenkrands will surely be turned on for this one, as will Wieghorst if he gets to play, but most of the players are pretty asured of their place in the national team. I guess what I am trying to say here is that a draw will not raise many eyebrows over here, while for the Scotts it will be a fine result. I guess 20-40-40 or something like that chance-wise, imo. I'll have a wack at a draw (in this game and a few others), as I am still one of those who buys into the old nonsense about friendlies always being draws ;) Also, under 2,5 should be virtually guarantied. First goalscorer - Lovenkrands may be fun, as he is red hot at the moment, but he is by no means guarantied to start in this one.

Guest Highlander61

International friendlies - corners Anybody know of any sites where you can get corners stats for past international friendly matches? Would imagine going low on the corners in these matches might be a good bet.

Guest paulinho

Re: International friendlies - corners scotland appear doomed. also, if you can get lovenkrands as last scorer he may be worth it, he always appears to hit em at the end of games. still, i am sticking to my own never bet on international friendlies rule.

Guest Chesney

Re: Midweek Friendlies Hello all. Another new contributor here. I would be interested in your opinions on Finland - Eire. I think that Finland (top price 13/8) are good value at home to Ireland. Ireland are obviously without Roy Keane but they have a few others out as well (Morrison, O'Brien, Finnan, Dunne). Finland came on strong towards the end of the WC qualifying and have beaten some good teams. Any thoughts?

Guest jamdog666

Re: Midweek Friendlies They beat Portugal away this year: www.soccerage.com/en/13/d2455.html For a friendly these seem long odds. Is Jari Litmanen playing? Edit: I assumed you meant 13-2 but 2.62 is the best I can find so I guess you didn't. :) . I'd avoid it personally. F365 tip a Turkey/Germany double www.football365.com/Betti...6668.shtml Blue Square match the Hill's Turkey odds and offer 10-11 on Germany - slightly better than Hill's 5-6.

Guest Taperen

Re: Midweek Friendlies Well, what can you say about the Norwegian national team? We've never been a major power in the European scene, but the decent team of the 90s seems long gone and the sorry bunch who will wear the shirt tomorrow will never qualify for a major tournament again. The squad goes like this (with a small reservation, there seems to be one player each day who has to withdraw): Goalies: Frode Grodås (Hønefoss) Ivar Rønningen (Brann) Erik Holtan (Odd-Grenland) Defense: Tommy Berntsen (Lyn) Christer Basma (Rosenborg) Henning Berg (Blackburn) John Arne Riise (Liverpool) Thomas Pereira (Viking) Ronny Johnsen (no club) Claus Lundekvam (Southampton) Midfielders: Trond Andersen (Wimbledon) Eirik Bakke (Leeds) Brede Paulsen Hangeland (Viking) Øyvind Leonhardsen (Tottenham) Roar Strand (Rosenborg) Jo Tessem (Southampton) Fredrik Winsnes (Hammarby) Strikers: Sigurd Rushfeldt (Austria Wien) Frode Johnsen (Rosenborg) Ole Gunnar Solskjær (Manchester United) where we have had late withdrawals from Ajax-defender Bergdølmo and Spurs- striker Iversen. Solskjær will only play 45 minutes after coach Semb made a deal with Ferguson. IMO this team is packed with mediocre players, especially the midfield looks very weak. None of the three goalkeepers are international class either. Up front there is a total lack of pace, especially for the part where Solskjær will be missing. Johnsen has been struggling with injuries this season and does not seem to be in top form, while Rushfeldt is only a sub in Austria Wien if I am not mistaken. If Holland has a serious approach (and looking at their friendly results I guess they will) then I think the Norwegian will face huge problems. The national team had a very bad spell earlier this year before the hammered Japan, but the small Asians was a perfect opponent for the strong Norwegians so I would not look at that win as a shift in form. My immediate estimation (under the assumption of a serious approach by Holland) would be something like 25-30-45 and instead of backing the 2,40s for the straight away win I will rather use a 0:0 Asian at 1,75+ which should yield the same value.

Guest leggat

Re: Finland(2.50) V Rep of Ireland(2.62) What about Finland and the Rep of Ireland, any insight on these teams, who is playing etc. Has anyone mentioned them? My picks right now are: Estonia home win @ 1.73 Turkey home win @ 1.25 Denmark away win @ 2.20 France away win @ 1.67 cumulative odds of 7.95 £5 gets you £39, odds from Ladbrokes!

Guest paulybhoy

weds matches Finland v Ireland 4 previous Ireland 2 wins 2 draws The last meeting of the two nations was in Dublin on November 15, 2000 when Ireland ran out comprehensive 3-0 winners as part of manager Mick McCarthy's preparations for the successful World Cup 2002 campaign. Steve Finnan, Kevin Kilbane and Steve Staunton were the goalscorers for Ireland. team news from Ireland a few withdrawls, but only Finnan would have started, they are set to start with a full strength first half then substitute heavily in second. Saw the last match and Ireland were always going to win. Personally dont like friendlies unless obvious value, or knowledge that one team is second string or will hold back for fear of injury etc..,;- But at least Ireland are one of the few teams that take them seriously(ignore last against Nigeria as almost on plane for W.C.), And McCarthy and players have the motivation as they will not want to give Roy Keane any satisfaction, I dont trust the full match but see value in half time result @ paddy power Ireland 5/2 draw 5/2 averages 1.75 return 2pts on each I like the look of France & Italy, both have named strong squads with positive additions. Italy Trapattoni is intentioned to give his team a more offensive attitude. One of the most promising Italian youngsters, Juventus midfielder Matteo Brighi, will make his debut with the Nazionale. Three superstars, namely Toldo, Vieri and Totti, will miss the game due to injuries. PROBABLE LINEUPS: ITALY (3-4-1-2): Buffon; Cannavaro, Nesta, Panucci; Brighi, Tommasi, Di Biagio, Coco; Doni; Inzaghi, Del Piero SLOVENIA (4-3-1-2): Dabanovic; Gajser, Vugdalic, Karic, Cipot; Pavlin, Bulajic, Ceh; Zahovic; Cimirotic, Siljak Slovenia were imo one of the worst teams @ the W.C. France PROBABLE LINE-UPS Tunisia: Boumnijel - Trabelsi, Badra (cap), Mkacher, Jaïdi, Clayton - Gabsi, Benachour, Mnari, Melki - Zitouni. France: Coupet - Thuram, Desailly (cap), Silvestre, Candela - Marlet, Vieira, Zidane, Petit - D. Cissé, Henry. Both Italy & France obviously have the ability to win their games, but more importantly in a friendly imo, the motivation to win to keep the public & press happy, after their fiascos @W.C. French coach has been quoted as saying this is not just a friendly but a test of spirit. 10 pts france win 1.80 betfair 5pt double France & Italy @ 2.35 @paddypower 1 pt treble adding Croatia, (Wales have too many 1st team injuries in theory to get anything here) and the Croatian crowd will want a win. 3.29@ Paddypower Others considering Israel Holland Scotland draw(remembering Denmark could not beat N.Ireland in qualifiers for W.C.) Romania But propably only look strongly @ Holland after team confimation and a bit more study

Re: weds matches Always a bit wary of international friendlies, especially with domestic clubs unwilling to release players, it becomes hard work to find out who's actually playing, and each country trying different ideas etc. So shocks come as no surprise, and its very hard to find value. Therefore i'm going for a few outsiders, who are well capable of winning their respective matches. I've Not looked into who's playing in any of these sides, as like i said above, one team can kick off and by half time it could be a completely different side. gone for: Croatia v Wales 2 @ 7 Macedonia v Malta 2 @ 10 Luxembourg v Morocco 1 @11 Iceland v Andorra 2 @ 13 4 x 50p singles 6 x 25p doubles 4 x 25p trebles 1 x £1 fourfold Heres hoping:lol would return about £10,000 Basically if one comes in then i'll probably break even, anything over is a major bonus.

Guest daulbs

Italy v Slovenia While I think the Italians would normally batter Slovenia, this game is being played in Trieste, an Italian city in the North-East which used to belong to Slovenia, and I think this game will mean an awful lot to the Slovenians, while the Italians won't care so much. It probably shouldn't make a difference, but it's just a thought.

Guest toshibakid

Hey hey slick,i believe value is the only way to go in friendlies to profit in the long run,i remember before the world cup i had some ebts on belgium to beat france @ about 10/1 and canada to beta poland @ 7/1,couple of others aswell. So here where there is a possibity of a upset i think ------------------------------------------------------- Faroe Islands v Liechtenstein 3/10 10/3 7/1 Both sides are bloody terrible so go for lichenstein in this pub team fixture @ 7/1. ------------------------------------------------------- Croatia v Wales 4/11 11/4 7/1 Wales arnt that bad and croatia are a gang of ageing players wales @7/1 ------------------------------------------------------- Fyr Macedonia v Malta 1/6 9/2 11/1 Right another gang of sunday league teams Take Malta @11/1 ------------------------------------------------------- Northern Ireland v Cyprus 4/5 21/10 3/1 Erm quite simple this one take cyprus @3/1,no explanation needed. ------------------------------------------------------- Iceland v Andorra 1/14 13/2 16/1 No team is ever 16/1 against another,unless its china :lol Andoora for pure value ------------------------------------------------------- Brazil v Paraguay 2/7 7/2 7/1 Paraguay can easily upseta overrated brazil ;) 7/1 ill have some :) Good luck