Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread Just A speculative bet at this stage... Conrad Smith trained on the wing at practice ahead of the NZ game vs portugal... - The idea being they use the match to build back up his match fitness.. He could get a bucket load of tries in what could be the most onesided match in RWC history... Line up for Saturday is not confirmed for a few hours but at odds of 40+ NZ top tryscorer could be worth a punt... Edit: Well I was wrong... Toeava to play on the wing

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread I've backed Georgia at 4/6 with a 48.5point headstart. I also like the Argies to score 8tries or less, I've forgotten the price but it was tempting on Betfair. Hopefully Georgia will get a few points on the board. I cant see the Argies hitting 60points or more just 4 days after the France match.

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread i'm with everyone who has Georgia on the handicap - they will be fresh, and playing against a 'negative' side, who never go out there and wallop teams, but who can stop 'better' teams playing as v France. Paddy Powers are 10/11 at -41 and that's good enough for me. And since all 3 rwc bets have come up and i haven't posted them here, if this goes down I will know exactly what motley crew to blame !! You pesky lot !

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread Yeah, Georgia did the biz. :ok Just one for me today. It's warm and sunny in Toulouse and I expect Fiji and Japan to have a real running go at each other. It's 51 total match points on the spreads which seems right looking at... 2007: Fiji won 30-15 in Lautoka, Fiji 2006: Fiji won 29-15 in Osaka, Japan Japan have nothing much to lose here and Fiji will want to start with a bang in front of a full house of Toulousian rugby nutters. Hope a couple of subs also go over later on as I... BUY total shirts @ 77 at 2pts

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread Traveling quite well so far (Pumas ATS, Wallabies ATS & Georgia ATS all saluting - only Samoa failed to cover). Am thinking USA might be worth a look v Tonga given their form against England and the fact the Tongans haven't been great these past 12 months or so. Does anyone have any form on the Tongans?

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread Agree that after USA ENG, USA looks like its worth a look. Im a bit worried about the very short turn around though... 25/05/2007 Tonga 15 - 60 Australia A 02/06/2007 Tonga 17 - 20 Japan ?? Fiji 15 - 21 Tonga 09/06/2007 Tonga 13 - 39 Junior All Blacks 23/06/2007 Samoa 50 - 3 Tonga

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread Think we all saw last nite that 4days is not enough of a turnaround for recovery. The Argies looked very tired last nite and the Georgians in their first game stayed with them until half time. USA will have taken a lot outta themselves similarly so I'd fancy Tonga to take advantage.

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread :clap Georgia :clap Well done to everyone who got on last night, glad Georgia didn't disappoint as I was worried I'd built them up too much. They really look like a team who can make good progress in the international game, they play proper rugby rather than just kicking the ball away like the other minnows tend to do. Yesterday's winner has resulted in a 9.1pt profit on the tournament in-running with 30pts to run on outright bets. Unless Vincent Clerc fills his boots against Namibia on Sunday I think I'll need a few more winners to cover that. Looking at todays game there are a few handicaps I like. Firstly Tonga (-9) vs USA. Tonga will be fresh for this game and have at their disposal "the best team we've ever had" according to their coach. Quite a few recognised names in there especially in the back row which is made up of Super 14 duo Nili Latu and Hale T-Pole and Toulouse's Finau Maka. USA have barely changed their team from Saturday and will find it tough going I reckon against the physical Tongans. One significant change to their team is the suspension of Emerick who is one of their more experienced players. All points to a comfortable Tongan victory for me. 5pts Tonga (-9) to beat USA @ 10/11 (Paddy Power) Skipping the Japan-Fiji game but will be backing Italy to beat Romania by more than 29pts this evening. I caught the Italy-NZ game on Saturday and thought Italy played well in large parts, conceding several soft tries to give the final one-sided scoreline. They made a few line breaks which is to be applauded against New Zealand and their side looks good for this match, 5/6 changes from Saturday but all experienced 6N players. The incentive for the Italians in this game is the bonus point as they battle with Scotland for second place, so no reason to just settle for a win. I don't expect Romania to score more that 10 points in this game so 40pts should be a distinctly reachable target. 5pts Italy (-29) to beat Romania @ 10/11 (Paddy Power)

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread does anyone agree that Australia 10/11 -10 PTS vs wales is possibly the price of the year?? granted the match is on in Cardiff but the aussies should have too many guns for them. also South Africa -15 @10/11 versus Engerland, TASTY DOUBLE ME THINKS...............

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread Nice winner for you there pie-chucker, how did the Japan - Fiji bet go in the end? plenty of tries but two by a number 4 and two by a number 7 which was very unusual. Was very lucky to escape from today with a 0.45pt loss. Italy were terrible against Romania, who I underestimated and played with great heart, some useful forwards in their team and their fullback is one hell of a kicker out of hand. Tonga were extremely lucky to cover the cap by one point. They looked hopeless and will struggle to beat Samoa IMO.

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread

does anyone agree that Australia 10/11 -10 PTS vs wales is possibly the price of the year??
remember we came within seconds of beating Australia on their own turf with our 2nd XV out. I'm not totally ruling out the possibility of us winning this. Australia haven't won in their last 2 visits to Cardiff.

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread Some good open rugby Fiji v Italy (at least in 2nd half) and total points spread comfortably beaten with a score of 35-31. And what am I on? Bloody shirt numbers. Seven tries scored but six of them by forwards. In a Fijian game :wall. Made up at 42. bought at 77 :\. 4/6 in handicaps overal; too grumpy to tally up.

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread Spin says shirts made up at 44. Woopee. -43pts in running. Think Aus will win by 10 or more on the weekend. Some of the Welsh problem is the return of Scott Johnson to Cardiff with influential coaching input and now in native Aus mindset. He knows guys like Alfie Thomas and Stephen Jones inside out, and the rest, and I think will (help) plot an Aus win by 22 pts or so. I may go the spread route as I hate to say that it could be more.

Tonga were extremely lucky to cover the cap by one point. They looked hopeless and will struggle to beat Samoa IMO.
LOL Earlier this year
23/06/2007Samoa50 - 3TongaApia
Those of you with an NZ TAB account: Top Wales try scorer
$3.75Shane Williams 2
Rediculous price, considering he has scored 2 already... all other bookies have it at $2.20 - $2.37!! :nana

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread My only concerns are Australias motivation NOT to play New Zealand until the final. If they are runners up of their group they are likely to play South Africa which although will be tough, is a hell of alot easier than facing the All blacks. If they win the group they would meet in the semi finals. I know little about rugby so I suppose when Australia name their team it will give us a clue as to their intent on winning the game, and comments that they only narrowly beat Wales at home and have not won the last two times at Cardiff in front of a passionate home support is also a concern. Anyone any views?

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread Based solely on the IRB ratings, Wales (77.53) are in 8th place whilst Australia (87.03) are in second. Taking into account home advantage, the IRB ratings indicate Australia should win by 13-15 points. I think both sides will be up for this. My heart says Wales, but my head says Australia. It will however, be a No Bet for me.

Re: Rugby World Cup 2007 - Official Thread I have taken the -110.5 on New Zealand v Portugal on betfair currently 1.89 (most other handicaps are 120 even up to 138 for similar odds!) for the following reasons - 1) They will see this as a chance to beat the world record score 2) Fringe players will do their best to stake a claim for later in the tournement 3) I believe several of their players are retiring after the tournement and one of them is close to being the all time All Blacks record try scorer 4) The fact Australia beat Japan by 88 points when Aus are not as good as the All Blacks and Japan are better than Portugal 5) I would not be suprised if Portugal rested some players saving them for a more winnable match The only downside is New Zealand could be greedy going for tries galore individually instead of a team but they are the ultimate professionals so fingers crossed they can do it! I think this bet is more reliable than the Australia bet. :hope

LOL Earlier this year
23/06/2007Samoa50 - 3TongaApia
Those of you with an NZ TAB account: Top Wales try scorer
$3.75Shane Williams 2
Rediculous price, considering he has scored 2 already... all other bookies have it at $2.20 - $2.37!! :nana
Thanks for pointing that out mate, maybe I could have worded what I said a bit better but Tonga should be able to put out a much better team than that next week whereas Samoa were more or less at full strength. Even so, the way they played yesterday with so many basic mistakes suggests they will struggle to beat a more established rugby nation. As for Shane Williams that does look a good price, as is the 4/7 on bet365 for Shane Williams to score more than 2.5 tries - basically 4/7 on him scoring once more in 4 more matches (barring disaster or injury).

I have taken the -110.5 on New Zealand v Portugal on betfair currently 1.89 (most other handicaps are 120 even up to 138 for similar odds!) for the following reasons - 1) They will see this as a chance to beat the world record score 2) Fringe players will do their best to stake a claim for later in the tournement 3) I believe several of their players are retiring after the tournement and one of them is close to being the all time All Blacks record try scorer 4) The fact Australia beat Japan by 88 points when Aus are not as good as the All Blacks and Japan are better than Portugal 5) I would not be suprised if Portugal rested some players saving them for a more winnable match The only downside is New Zealand could be greedy going for tries galore individually instead of a team but they are the ultimate professionals so fingers crossed they can do it! I think this bet is more reliable than the Australia bet. :hope
Your reading way to much into the match itself,The world record score is not a factor,the player retiring is Dug Howlett who is not playing in this match,he'll pass Christan Cullens record regardless he has already equaled it against italy,from what i've seen and heard Portugal will field their best side for a chance to just play the All Blacks,but where you are really looking at this match wrong is that it's more than likely the All Blacks wil cover here even up to 130 points and thats got nothing to do with being greedy its a fact, Portugal against Scotland were being carried to the line by 1 scottish player,we can beat Scotland by 60,thats not bragging it;s a fact also,so imagine what is about to happen here,the other reason the All Blacks should cover is because we don't know how to play any other way,the All Blacks will be up by alot before the players themselves actually realise whats happening and then the All Blacks will start to muck around but by then they could be up by 70. The All Blacks have tried their best to change the line up as to not make the match look farcical,but it will happen regardless,we run the ball,we all grow up here being taught that,today we have Toeava on the wing,Smith and Mauger in the centres with Rokokoko on the other wing,we will run the Portugese players off their feet by half time and the last 15 or 20 could be an absoloute nightmare for them. Alot of people seem to want to compare the European style of play to ours and Australias and there is no comparison,we run the ball even our forwards,unlike the Euro sides who just boot the ball away and fart around in the rucks,our play is nothing like the Euro sides play,the All Blacks will win and cover here as high as 140,time will tell,I spose. As far as Aussie not wanting to play the All Blacks untill the final and they may look to lose here against Wales to not face them untill the final?? Thats farcical,the Australians do not fear us and our sides do not,and never would throw a match to play a better opponent,if what we are seeing is the best the European Coutrys have to offer then none of the Southern Hemisphere sides have anything to fear at all,in fact the way things are looking if Ireland don't beat Argentina then Argentina will likely beat Scotland and the four sides to contest from the semis will likely be all Southern Hemisphere sides.The Australians,All Blacks,South Africa and Argentina. Personally I really hope the European sides play more expansive Rugby,as what they all played in their opening rounds was as if they just expected the other lesser sides to just lie down and conceed,I mean England at one stage were pulling forwards into a ruck to start a drive when their was only one American Player in the ruck,then they pass the ball to Barkley who just kicked it away,the same can be said of Wales who in the first half started to kick the ball away every time thier first five got his hands on it,the reserves for Wales then came on and RAN the ball and look what happened,they looked great.If the European sides continuie to play this silly kick and clap game they will have no chance of covering any spread,good greif the Americans and Nambia ran the ball more than the Welsh and English combined.,I'm really expecting the Irish to come out and play some running rugby against a Georgian side who have to back up 4 days after their first match against Argentina and for the Irish to cover the spread. Lets hope that the European sides will now realise that just because they are who they are that they still need to show some effort instead of looking like players who just think all they have to do is turn up and they'll win. Good Luck guys with your betting,but I would'nt compare your Euro sides to any of the Southern Hemisphere sides as at the moment as there is no comparison at all.