Favourite Horse

I presume this thread has been done before but hey, I'm new here so let's do it again. Dayjur - loved that horse. I remember backing it @ 11/2 at some bookies in London whilst waiting for a train back to Newcastle and it flew!!!!!! Gutted when it lost The Breeders Cup due to jumping that shadow 100 yards out. Soft spot for Ever So Artistic as at the time I had my biggest ever horse bet of £55 on it and it won @ 11/4. Way back in the early 90s.

Re: Favourite Horse Kirklees trained by Mark Johnston Saw its first run at Thirsk when it came late and only just got beat. It won its maiden next time out and then was entered into Class 1 races and gave a good account of itself. Hasn't run this season don't know why

Re: Favourite Horse Easily Dancing Brave for me - so so unlucky in the 86 derby but proved his quality in subsequent victories in the Eclipse, King George and Prix de L'arc with his devastating finishing speed. For anybody interested you tube have videos of all the races above.

Re: Favourite Horse khayrapour trained by brian meehan. won the golden mile at glorious goodwood in 1995. had it ante-post at 16's in a double with lake coniston at 9/4 to win the july cup. sneaked in the handicap, and came from last to 1st in the last 3 furlongs to do realities and frankie on the line! fantastic race. flopped next time out and they flogged it to race in america. close 2nd mr baileys for the man jason weaver in the 1994 2000 guineas. tish

Re: Favourite Horse Jumping handicapper - Red Rum, without a doubt. The way he ran after Crisp in the National was something I will never forget, and I had backed Crisp. He didn't win just because Crisp was knackered, he won because at Aintree he was a different horse than he was on any other course. My first bet after the finish was to back 'Rummy' for the 1974 National. No horse had done the double since Reynoldstown in 1935/36. After he won I backed him for the 1975 National, he didn't like the going, but still finished second. I backed him again for the 1976 National, and he finished second again. Come 1977 I waited to see what the weather was going to be like. No horse had ever won 3 Nationals, and those that said it couldn't be done had to eat their words. He showed us all, once again, that around Aintree with its drop fences and open ditches (all changed these days) on good going, he had no competition. I had the whole summer off work on the winnings. :ok He was a wonderful horse. :ok Class chaser - Fred Winters Pendil. Imo, the best chaser never to have won a Cheltenham Gold Cup. He was a very fast and fluent jumper, and like the great Arkle, he could make ground in the air when upsides another horse. In his first Gold Cup in 1973 (the way I saw it) he sprang the last fence and was cantering to an easy victory. Pitman looked over his right shoulder for dangers, there were none. But he never looked over his left shoulder, and Barry Brogan on The Dikler was going flat out along the rails. Pitman galvanised Pendil, who responded immediately, but The Dikler was gone, and at the line Pendil lost in a photograph by a short head. I lost a fair bit, but knew I would get it back next year. In his second attempt, in 1974, Pitman in the saddle again...:loon , he followed High Ken, who was a 100/1 shot, over a downhill fence. High Ken fell and brought down Pendil. I did my absolute bollocks on this race, and Pitman was off the Xmas card list for all eternity. Second Fvavourite class flat horses Brigadier Gerard. Imo, possibly the best miler of all time. Favourite class flat horse - Nijinsky. Won the '69 Dewhurst by 4 lengths in an absolute canter. In the 2000 Guineas, depsite idling at the end, he coasted home by over 2 lengths. In the Derby, where some doubted his ability to stay the 12 furlongs, his main opponent was the Bill Williamson ridden horse, Gyr. who stormed past Nijinsky, as did Stintino, with just under 2 furlongs to go. Lester came between the two, waved his whip, and in a matter of strides it was all over bar the shouting. Nijisnky won comfortably by over 2 lengths, in the fastest time since the Aga Khans Mahmoud back in the mid-1930s.

Re: Favourite Horse Idiot - pressed sumbit before I had finished typing..:loon . Nijinsky (continued) He went on to win the Irish Derby without Lesters help, Liam Ward was in the saddle. In an absolutely star-studded King George, he won effortlessly. In August/September he contracted ringworm, and Vincent 'O' Brien didn't want to run him until he had completely recovered. Charles Engelhard, the owner, wanted the Triple Crown and insisted he run at Doncaster. He won the St. Leger and completed the Triple Crown, and even though won on the bridle, his 11th consecutive win, he lost two stones in weight in the process. He was always a temperamental highly strung horse, and the journalists, plus the cheering of fans in the paddock, upset him before the start of the Arc. On form he was still going to win easily, and was well odds on. But even with the magic of Lester, he was beaten a head by Sassafras. He had one more race and was beaten by Lorenzaccio in the Champion Stakes at H.Q.

Re: Favourite Horse Well being related to Jenny Pitman i suppose i should really select one of here great horses she had, but sadly not ( Sorry. she'll forgive me), for me it has to be ERHAAB, the ride Willie Carson gave this was the best i have ever had the privillage to watch, turning for home Mister Baileys had kick for home 15L clear of anything in the race. The way the horse picked up in the straight and finish clear of the third by a wide margin catching and passing Mister Baileys easing down and it looked like the horse had never broke a sweat, but like all great Derby Winners over the last decade have not gone to do that much, but this would have to be my selection. Also Zafonic, again another horse that picked up in the guinneas when coming eight wide to pass the field like they were stood still, great ride by Pat Eddery, and just the one more Rodrigo de Triano also winning the guinneas for the legend Lester Piggott. But it would have to be Erhaab if i had to choose one outright Wups

Re: Favourite Horse Have a soft spot for anything with a will to win. Red Rum was the horse that first got me interested in the sport. Was too young to bet then. Persian Punch, Lochsong. Desert Orchid tops the lot. Being a value punter though I often backed against him. I remember backing Panto Prince in the Victor Chandler at Ascot, coming over the last Dessie was locked in battle with Panto. Up the run in they were still neck and neck. I was shouting "Go on Brendon (Powell), Go on Brendon, go on Brendon, Go on Dessie, Go on Dessie"! Without thinking I had changed my alleigence half way up the run in. Not many horses can do that. Desert Orchid just got the better of my wager and it felt great.:clap Soppy eh!:cry Ginge