** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Expierience Poker

Morris

I just wanted to ask if anyone knew of a download which would allow me to play poker for fun and to gain experience of the game. Preferably online against other players, but I would'nt mind any other sort (1 player etc) I remember I once had a program like this, where I played other people online just for the fun of it, but I cannot remember what it was or where it has gone? Cheers :ok EDIT: Thread SP - Experience

Re: Expierience Poker I think everywhere has "play money" tables :ok So download any of them and give it a go - no need to deposit or anything :ok Remember that play money tables are not taken seriously, so you cannot learn anything about the real strategy of the game :ok Keep your eye out for freerolls too - these are games that are completely free to enter (non "genuine" freerolls will require you to play a certain amount of real cash poker beforehand) but have real money prizes .... Check out this thread by Mr V for advice on the approach to play poker, and build a bankroll without ever needing to deposit, or risk, your own money :ok How To Start Out in Poker Without Risking Your Own Cash

Re: Expierience Poker If its a learning curve you are after, then I would avoid the "play for fun" tables. Just deposit a small sum of money and play the low stakes tables. People just dont take the play money tables seriously enough to make playing them worthwhile unfortunately!

Re: Expierience Poker I wouldn't be quite so dismissive of the play money tables - they are good for learning the mechanics of the game, and software. I understand (though have never tried myself) that some sites have tournaments where the buy in is (sometimes significantly) more than the amount of play money you are given ..... I would imagine that this means that the play is treated more seriously (at a guess, I would say this is how it works on Pokerstars ....but I'm not sure). But loads and loads of freerolls out there as well where you can get some experience (the strategy is questionable again, however is better than play money) - you can know the approximate value by dividing the prize pool by the number of entrants. For example a $50 freeroll with 12,000 entrants (they exist!!) is worth under half a cent per player A further example, a $10,000 freeroll with 50 entrants (they exist!!) is worth $200 per player. When I started out, less than 50c per player I didn't consider worth playing, 50c-$1 wasn't bad, but over $1 I thought was fantastic :ok Some regular freerolls out there at the moments (keep an eye on the daily diary for more) Virgin Poker - 19:30 BST every Sunday - 100,000 V Points - worth £1000/$2000 between about 350 players - about $6 value per player Crypto Network (e.g. William Hill, Parbet, DTD Poker etc) Daily freerolls for seats to a $400,000 CPC Freeroll - top 10 in each freeroll win a seat to the next step. Daily at 13:30, 15:30, 17:30 and 20:30 Paradise Poker have a couple of huge promos with freeroll qualifiers - New World, Best of British, Rush - With 2000 entrants (they fill quickly - so reg early) and top 25 qualifying, not the best freeroll return.... The magazines PokerPlayer and InsidePoker are a good read and have some great value freerolls every month - subscribe to PokerPlayer for $5 for 12 issues through www.apat.com. Have seen 24 month subscriptions to InsidePoker for $9.99. Betfair Maxim King of Poker freeroll every Tuesday - register at www.kingofpoker2007.com TheSun poker (the newspaper) are running a freeroll league series at the moment - freeroll at 21:00 every night - prizes are based on league positions rather than nightly.... Ladbrokes have a nightly freeroll to their cruise - 21:15 Loads of others too I'm sure....