all opinions welcome

gavham

I was playing the 40k tourney on boss last night. 53 out of 822 left and i was sitting about 10th. this hand wouldve made me massive chip leader. i was already in the cash but my target was top 5 so did i play it right or wrong????? i've got to say i would do the same again ***** Hand 609695603 ***** 1500.00/3000.00 Texas Hold'em (No Limit ) - 06 May 2007 23:33:38 $40,000 Guaranteed (Real /Tournament ) Seat 1: alphadog (49338.00) Seat 2: LTDKK84 (19610.00) Seat 3: fedepean76 (40221.00) Seat 4: grifone10 (23549.00) Seat 5: zouzouzou (31128.00) Seat 6: ebolacola (38922.00) Seat 7: el_calypso (3412.00) Seat 8: lucypucy (41644.00) Seat 9: bolus (32903.00) Seat 10: the_mole (46618.00) lucypucy post SB 1500.00 bolus post BB 3000.00 ** Deal ** alphadog [N/A, N/A] LTDKK84 [N/A, N/A] fedepean76 [N/A, N/A] grifone10 [N/A, N/A] zouzouzou [N/A, N/A] ebolacola [N/A, N/A] el_calypso [N/A, N/A] lucypucy [N/A, N/A] bolus [N/A, N/A] the_mole [Kc, Jc] *** Bet Round 1 *** the_mole Raise to 9000.00 alphadog Fold LTDKK84 Call 9000.00 fedepean76 Call 9000.00 grifone10 Fold zouzouzou Fold ebolacola Call 9000.00 el_calypso Fold lucypucy Fold bolus Call 9000.00 *** Flop(Board): *** : [10d, Qc, 6c] *** Bet Round 2 *** bolus Check the_mole All-in 37618.00 LTDKK84 All-in 10610.00 fedepean76 All-in 31221.00 ebolacola Fold bolus Fold *** Turn(Board): *** : [10d, Qc, 6c, 6d] *** River(Board): *** : [10d, Qc, 6c, 6d, Qd] *** Showdown *** : Rake: 0.00 Total Pot: 119552.00 alphadog Fold Win: 0.00 LTDKK84 [10h, Jh] Two pair queens and tens Win: 78330.00 fedepean76 [Ac, 9c] Two pair queens and sixes Win: 41222.00 grifone10 Fold Win: 0.00 zouzouzou Fold Win: 0.00 ebolacola Fold Win: 0.00 el_calypso Fold Win: 0.00 lucypucy Fold Win: 0.00 bolus Fold Win: 0.00 the_mole [Kc, Jc] Two pair

Re: all opinions welcome As seen as you said ALL opinions welcome ;)... Personally i wouldn't have moved all-in but that's my style, i would have tried to see another card on the turn for as cheap as possible, but i would see myslelf as a tight player, maybe you're looser and you did have a lot of outs. :ok

Re: all opinions welcome I wouldn't have made the raise preflop, but on that flop I would definitely be moving all in also. Open ended with the 2nd nut flush draw with 2 cards to come? MONSTER!!! I'll push everytime with it! Very unfortunate the nut flush draw was out there, but you still had outs, I think you were very unlucky in this hand, well played though :ok

Re: all opinions welcome

ltdkk84 won the tourney and over 10k he called with second pair and 3 people behind him' date=' just goes to show you need the luck.[/quote'] Just reread the hand, he called half his stack to your raise preflop with JT. 'Luck' is an understatement, more like miracles needed :lol

Re: all opinions welcome Assuming that the early position raise was a good move, I would also have been shoving after the flop. I would have (wrongly) ignored the possibility of Axc being out there, and would have calculated that I had plenty of outs - 4 x 9's, 4 x Aces, and another 9 clubs. 17 outs to scoop a very big pot, even if you got called by a better starting hand. What might rankle more is the fact that the winning hand was so weak going in to the call. That said, you are inspiration to us all :notworthy , and your frankness in occasional defeat is very helpful. McG

Re: all opinions welcome Don't like the pre flop raise UTG ..... you haven't got good cards and you haven't got good position .... you're also at the stage of the tourney where there are short stacks who are desperate and will be looking you up with marginal holdings ..... you're quite likely to get a call!!! You have more time than most of those around you .... I use that time to wait for a better holding/situation, rather than mix it up with very marginal cards.... Post flop - the shove is the only move IMO ..... your draw is so strong that you're likely to be ahead against almost anyone.....Add in some fold equity and you have monster positive ev :ok

Re: all opinions welcome I'm clearly in the minority so guess mine wouldn't be the right move, but i'm always learning and want to know why it's best to move all-in at that point? My PoV is essentially to save chips, i would attempt to see the turn for as cheap as possible and hope to hit one of my outs, if not then i then have the option of seeing the river for as cheap as possible or folding and thus saving some chips if i don't hit on the turn. Or is the concensus that it's late in the game so building a big stack is better then playing safe so that's why you'd go all-in? :ok

want to know why it's best to move all-in at that point?
The problem is that you are out of position .... by going all in you are guaranteeing that you will see two cards. You have 2 ways of winning - by having the best cards at showdown (which you will have about 60% of the time with 15 outs) or by everyone folding now ..... If you don't bet, your opponents almost certainly will, and then you don't have the fold equity..... Ok, you're up against a better flush draw in this instance, but that's unusual - I'm happy to assume that my King high flush draw will give me the hand if I hit it..... I view going all in as "playing it safe" - you're reducing your chances of having to win a showdown.... Stack sizes are important here too ..... they aren't big .... you dont have large implied odds for a draw ..... that increases the value of winning the pot there and then.....

(which you will have about 60% of the time with 15 outs)
4 x 9 4 x A 9 x Clubs 17 outs no? Thinking optimistically you have an overcard too, so I will also count that as an out => 3 x K Therefore 20 outs with 2 cards to come being best possible scenario IMO.

4 x 9 4 x A 9 x Clubs 17 outs no? Thinking optimistically you have an overcard too, so I will also count that as an out => 3 x K Therefore 20 outs with 2 cards to come being best possible scenario IMO.
You've double counted the Ace and 9 clubs ;)

Re: all opinions welcome Thanks for the info guys, i see your PoV now and it makes sense as always :ok PS. Off topic but i finally got the deposit on BoB. Don't ever complain that i don't put the effort in anyway (I had to ring the US talking to a guy who sounded like Mr Mackay off South Park) Now that's dedication ;)

Re: all opinions welcome Personally I love the all in move. Outside straight AND flush draw with two cards to come is (by my own Drawing odds cheat sheet) is 53%...odds on to hit one or the other. Missing the turn still offers you 33% on the river. (%s are to hit the straight or flush NOT to necessarily win the hand) So if you are ever going to raise with a drawing hand then this is the one to do it with and, at this stage of the game, an all in fits the situation just perfectly. I wouldn't have raised pre-flop, but then again I'm a bit of a wimp at the best of times, but think your all-in play was excellent.