** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread

I know it's 4 weeks away but it will soon fly so I'm starting the thread up now. This thread is for bets only. I'll do a discussion thread seperately. The World Cup is a big event it will be too much for 1 thread. Current outright odds.

Best odds/All oddsv15.gifv6004.gifv6074.gifv1.gifv6006.gifv2.gifv3.gifv6124.gifv6007.gifv6002.gifv10.gifv6018.gifv502.gifv4.gifv6005.gif
Australia2.622.52.622.752.622.52.52.82.752.752.622.752.52.52.82
South Africa8767767.576.56.57.57.56.577.9
West Indies88878988.5987.57.5888.6
India89888999988.59999.6
Sri Lanka8889898997.58.578810
Pakistan9.59887.5999888.598.599.6
England99111099109.51087.5910911
New Zealand131311111113131013121013131315
Bangladesh201201201201101201251301201151151101201201102
Zimbabwe301301251301201251301301201301501251501251255
Kenya5015015015015015013015015015015012515013511000
Holland1001-10011001100110011001100110011001100110011001-1000
Ireland1001-1001100110011001200180110011001100110011001-1000
Scotland1001-100120011001501200180110011001100115011001-1000
Canada1001-10012001100110012001250110011001100120011001-1000
Bermuda1001-10012501100120012001350115011001100130011001-1000
Each-way terms: 2 at 1/32 at 1/32 at 1/32 at 1/32 at 1/22 at 1/3 2 at 1/32 at 1/22 at 1/32 at 1/32 at 1/2
I'll add more outright markets as they appear :ok

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread I can't see Australia not winning the WC. The curent loss to England who really took us by surprise with the current form they are in, should give us something to think about and we should look to good not to win it.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread

any thoughts on Shane Bond to be top NZ wicket taker? 3.75 with stan james. He looks in better form than their other bowlers. How likely is it that he would be rested for matches against the weaker teams?
I think he'd probably only play one of the minnows. The opening match is against England and he'll definitely play that. 4 days later is Canada, and 2 days after that is Kenya. There is no need for NZ to risk him in both games so I'd speculate he'd play England and Kenya games. I imagine that he would play all of, or all bar one match on the Super Eights. The competition is most likely to be Daniel Vettori, who on the slower Windies pitches could get a bit of purchase. As we've seen this Australian Summer though, Bond opens and closes the innings and he appears to be peaking at the right time. 3.75 is definitely a good price though, and I'll look to get on that if he comes through this Chappell Hadlee Trophy in good shape :ok

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Due to my major plan of operation during the World Cup I am reluctant to take this bet, but given the odds on Betfair and other bookies I felt it has to be taken: 20pts Kevin Pietersen Most Runs (England) @ 4.00 Willhill The Betfair market for this has Pietersen able to be layed at 3.7. Money matched on him ranges from odds of 3.4-3.6 and most bookies are going 3.00 or 3.50. To get 4.00 commission free is surely great value and can be layed for an arb as well.

Due to my major plan of operation during the World Cup I am reluctant to take this bet, but given the odds on Betfair and other bookies I felt it has to be taken: 20pts Kevin Pietersen Most Runs (England) @ 4.00 Willhill The Betfair market for this has Pietersen able to be layed at 3.7. Money matched on him ranges from odds of 3.4-3.6 and most bookies are going 3.00 or 3.50. To get 4.00 commission free is surely great value and can be layed for an arb as well.
Good shooting crouch. He's our best batsman by a mile and i ve had exactly the same punt. Although it is an arb, its a very good price and not sure why Will Hill have held it for so long. Must be having a big opinion he won't top score.Also taken Smith at 3/1 for SA

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Any one of 8 teams can win this world cup, so no bet for me. however i've already taken a chance on top batsman for WC 2007 Sachin Tendulkar @ 20/1 best batsman of the modern era, too big a price. top bowler for WC 2007 Glenn McGrath 20/1 with Brett Lee out, McGrath should do the business. (i also like Ntini at 12's too)

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Well i'm having another blast at the warm up matches. Canada V Pakistan. Canada to win Betfair 19.5 Just a little 2 pts bet on Canada.Their playing at the Frank Worrell Memorial ground where South Africa had a scare yesterday against Ireland and with the 18/1 that was on offer it's worth a little shot.Canada are a half decent side and if Pakistan stutter then they have a chance to pick something up. In the other discussion thread(didnt know where to put it but i'm using this thread for me warm up bets now) i did put up an in play bet for England v Bermuda,after our opening partnership of 14 by England they went 11/10 from 1/100 on the highest opening partnership that prompted me to have a bet on England and they ragged it by taking a wicket on 13 runs.....phew.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Lowest Team Total - Under 60.0 - 1.89 (5/10) - Pinnacle Top Bermuda Batsman - David Hemp - 5.25 (2/10) - Centrebet Ireland To Beat Zimbabwe - 2.75 (2/10) - Tote Ireland To Beat West Indies - 21.00 (0.5/10) - Tote Ireland To Beat Pakistan - 16.00 (0.5/10) - Tote

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Really looking forward to this. It is great that the game start just as I get in from work each afternoon: Tournament winner: India @ 7/1 5PTS E/W India have got the troops to win another World Cup. Pitches will suit the slower bowlers as many have just been relayed and will not best suit the pacemen. Their batting line up is probably the best in the world IMO, and I think they have got the most experienced team in the tournament (highest number of 1 day appearances I believe). Really think that 7/1 is a good price for the Indians to at least reach the final. Top wicket taker: Tait @ 25/1 2.5PTS E/W With Lee out, Tait will have more responsiblity on his shoulders and is more than capable of taking a good number of wickets. 25/1 is too large a price in my opinion. Top run scorer: Dravid @ 25/1 (2.5PTS E/W) Ganguly @ 25/1 (2.5PTS E/W) As previously mentioned, I fancy India to take the World Cup. Therefore I think they will play the largest number of matches. That automatically means that 25/1 on this pair is a good price. If the Indians are to take the World Cup then these 2 will have to fire a good number of runs, and I am confident they will. All prices from Coral.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread What a wide open world cup this is. Here's all my outright bets. 10 in total. 5pts South Africa to win World Cup 5/1 Blue Square South Africa have taken over the mantle of world no1 in the ICC rankings and come into this world cup full of confidence with a serious chance of winning. Series wins over India and Pakistan will give the Proteas the belief that they can win the world cup. They have the advantage of being in Australia's group so they wouldn't have to face them in the Super 8's if both get that far. South Africa are a little bit like Spain in football, so much talent but fail to attend the party in these world get togethers but this time round that could all change. Not only do they have the confidence but they have the talent to win this too. In Graeme Smith, Jacques Kallis and Herschelle Gibbs, South Africa have the experience with their batting while AB de Villiers provided the youthful fearlessness. Pollock and Ntini are tried and tested and got all the t-shirts and Andre Nel backs them up well. You could argue they lack a spinner but they lack nothing else and I think come April 28, the South Africans could well be celebrating success. 2pts ew India to win World Cup 7/1 Blue Square India will have the weight of many people on their shoulders but 2003's runners-up are arguably better prepared this time than 4 years ago. In Tendulkar, Ganguly and Dravid they have experienced run machines and in Kumble and Harbhajan they have 2 world class spinners. Dhoni and Uthappa can provide real boosts to the run rate and Munaf Patel seems to be going from strength to strength. Zaheer Khan is always tough to face and if Agarkar or Sreesanth attend the party then India can go a long long way in the competition. 5pts India to win Group B Evs Betdirect I've already assessed India's chances in the competition so I won't repeat myself but looking at their opponents, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Bermuda, I honestly can't see how India won't win the group. You'd think it's a match between India and Sri Lanka without being disrespectful to Bangladesh and Bermuda, and if that's the case we have to remember that India have beaten Sri Lanka in ODI series 6-1 and more recently 2-1 only 6 weeks or so ago. That suggests to me that India are a very good bet at Evens to take the group and I'm on accordingly. 1pt ew S.Tendulkar Top Tournament Batsman 22/1 Totesport (1/4 1,2,3,4) Sachin Tendulkar quite simply has to be overpriced here. I've already talked up India's chances in other bets and if India do progress as far as I think they will then Sachin must be a runner for the tournament's top batsman. Tendulkar will bat high enough to take advantage against the minnows and he's got a good record against just about any side in the world. He raises his game in big matches and averages just shy of 60 in world cups which is phenomenal. Sachin is a legend of the game and I think he's a great price to outscore the rest. 1pt ew M.Ntini Top Tournament Bowler 12/1 Premier Bet (1/4 1,2,3,4) Makhaya Ntini is one of the world's best ODI bowlers and these conditions should suit him perfectly. He's lightning quick and the angle he bowls frommakes him difficult to face. As I fancy South Africa to go all the way it makes perfect sense that one of their bowlers will take the most wickets and Ntini is the one for me. He's got 16 wickets from his 8 ODI's in the Caribbean and he bowls at the beginning and the end of the innings which is what we want in a bet like this. He's not the greatest price but I think he'll go well in this competition. Ntini for me.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread And now the individual team bets. 4pts R.Taylor Top NZ Bat 9/2 Boylesports Ross Taylor has a huge future in the game but he's not doing too badly now. He's already got 2 centuries and 2 half-centuries to his name in his 18 ODI's and looks at home in this environment. One of those centuries was against Australia so he has scored runs against the best and although Fleming and Vincent are in front of him in the market, I think his main danger comes from Jacob Oram. However NZ have to face Kenya and Canada so if Taylor takes advantage of their attacks he should be far enough ahead of Oram when he gets to biff a few out of the grounds. 1pt S.Clark Top Australia Bowler 10/1 Totesport Stuart Clark has to be overpriced here. He was the top wicket taker in the Ashes and although a starting berth isn't guaranteed here, Glenn McGrath can't possibly play all the matches so he will get a gig at some point. Shaun Tait could quite easily go from beach to beach in this tournament too as could Watson so there's enough chances for Clark to get in and make an impression. If he can do that he should become a permanent fixture in the starting XI and there's no way he should be 10/1 to beat Bracken, Tait, McGrath and Watson. 2pts A.Bagai Top Canadian Bat 4/1 Stan James Ashish Bagai is developing into quite a decent batsmen at his level and has every chance of going well at this tournament. John Davison is favourite for this one but that can only be based on the 67 ball century he clobbered against the West Indies in the last World Cup. Bagai was a youngster then but he's blossomed into a good cricketer now and I think he'll lead the Canada batting lists come the end of their tournament. 2pts L.Malinga Top Sri Lankan Bowler 7/2 Blue Square Chaminda Vaas and Muralitharan are rightly favourites for this market but they might well both be upstaged by the round-arm style of Lasith Malinga. Malinga has performed well in ODI's recently and will be tough to face out here. Vaas and Murali could be rested against the minnows giving Malinga golden opportunities to get ahead in the wicket taking race. Even if all 3 play all the matches, Malinga opens the bowling and bowls at the death so is bowling when we need him to and I think he'll take some stopping both by opposing batsmen and his team-mates. 1pt M.Samuels Top West Indian Batsman 10/1 VC Marlon Samuels is proving to be a very consistant 1 day batsman and he comes into this tournament in good form having hit a 91 ball century in the warmup match. That was only against the minnows but a century is a century. He also scored highly in the series against India 2 months ago. Gayle and Lara, his bigger name peers are ahead of him in the market but Gayle was ordinary at best against India and there's been little signs that his bad trot will end here. Samuels scores quickly and bats high enough to take advantage of the minnows' attack and he's a big price in a pretty open field. Samuels for me.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread My Novelty bets for the tournament: Fastest Fifty 2pts Each Way 1/4 1/2/3/4 Kieron Pollard @ 67 Stan James Pollard hasn't played an ODI yet but from all reports he's a very explosive batsman and in his debut first-class game he hit a ton from just 71 balls. A couple of members here seem to rate him too. 2pts Mark Boucher @ 26 Centrebet Boucher has one of the fastest 50s in ODI history, scored off just 19 balls against Zimbabwe last year. Anyone who saw his innings against Pakistan too will know just how dangerous he can be and with matches against both Scotland and Holland there's plenty of opportunity for a repeat. Fastest Hundred 1pt Each Way 1/4 1/2/3/4 Kieron Pollard @ 126 Stan James See Above 1pt Each Way 1/4 1/2/3/4 Mark Boucher @ 101 Stan James See Above One more bet to go, just waiting on a quote from Stan James.

09-Mar-07
z.gif
z.gif11:00z.gifz.gif 10PT S World Cup 2007 - Total Tournament 6's,Wides & Ducks Total Tournament Ducks 90 or moreEVSOz.gif
z.gif
z.gif
z.gif06-Mar-07
z.gif
z.gif15:20z.gifz.gif 25PT S World Cup - 2007 Outright Winner India9/1Oz.gif
z.gif
z.gif
z.gif28-Feb-07
z.gif
z.gif15:12z.gifz.gif 5PT S World Cup 2007 - Top All Rounder Top All Rounder Irfan Pathan25/1Oz.gif
z.gif
z.gif
z.gif27-Feb-07
z.gif
z.gif16:10z.gifz.gif 5PT S World Cup 2007 - Young Guns II Top Bowler S. Sreesanth8/1Oz.gif
z.gif
z.gif
z.gif16:10z.gifz.gif 5PT S World Cup 2007 - Young Guns Top Runscorer MS Dhoni6/1Oz.gif
z.gif
z.gif
z.gif16:10z.gifz.gif 5PT S World Cup 2007 - Weight Of Expectation Top Fuller Figured Performer Jamie Dalrymple7/1Oz.gif
z.gif
z.gif
z.gif16:10z.gifz.gif 5PT S World Cup 2007 - Captain's Log Top Performing Captain Rahul Dravid6/1Oz.gif
z.gif
z.gif
z.gif16:09z.gifz.gif 5PT S World Cup 2007 - Top All Rounder Top All Rounder Jacques Kallis4/1O
Well these are all my toy about bet's that i've been putting on these last few weeks.Bar the Ducks and India. All through Sporting Odds Specials markets. I can't do a write up anywhere near good as Kev:notworthy infact i can't do one at all, but these are just my gut instinct's from the markets available. I'm just hoping for a damn good tournament. Most of my major bets will be in-play or on the day and I can't wait till they get to Guyana as the groundsman seems to think it could be the most unstable wicket. Good Luck all with your bet's:ok :ok :ok

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Can anyone tell me if the tournament top run scorer/wicket taker markets reappear and get updated as the tournament progresses?? Tomorrow's opener should be a great game involving probably the 2 most inconsistant sides in the tournament. I'm therfore looking at the player performance markets and am going for Dwayne Bravo to cover. He is capable of covering with both bat and ball, especially given that he often bowls at the death meaning batstmen can get out caught trying to play big shots at the end of the innings, also a good fielder. Dwayne Bravo 38pts and over @ 4/5 (Bet 365)

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread So here we go, match 1 of the tournament - Windies vs Pakistan. 10pts Pakistan to beat West Indies 5/4 Blue Square Group D kicks off with the hosts against Pakistan. The winner will feel they are almost assured of a super 8 place while the losers should still qualify albeit the hard way. Jamaica is the venue for the tournament's 1st match. West Indies came into the tournament with all the pressure on their shoulders. No host has ever won this competition and there's a wide range of feeling that this group could be the 1st. If they are to do that then Chris Gayle and Brian Lara will need big games but all of the batsmen will need to deliver after failing miserably against India on Friday. Pakistan have had more than there fair share of problems with the loss of Shoaib Akthar, Mohhamed Asif and Abdul Razzaq. Add to that Shahid Afridi is still banned and Pakistan are in a bit of trouble but they still managed to beat South Africa in their last warmup match and that will have given them lots of confidence and they'll take lots of beating in this one. West Indies don't have a very good bowling attack and that will hinder them through this tournament. Pakistan's attack is depleted but the likes of Rana Naved, Iftikhar Anjum, and Yasir Afarat can all take wickets but with a solid batting lineup I think Pakistan can edge the hosts in this one. 10pts Pakistan 1st 15 Overs 6/5 Stan James Pakistan are overpriced here. Imran Nazir goes in at the top of their order and will pinch hit and with the opening bowlers for West Indies not being overly penetrative he could well make hay here. This world cup is going to be all about the powerplays and Bob Woolmer will set his side up accordingly. Chris Gayle is a danger and is the reason why West Indies are so short but he's failed in recent times and if Pakistan make that breakthrough early then they should lead after 15 overs. 10pts M.Samuels' Performance Pts 35&Over 4/5 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Marlon Samuels is developing into a very good all round cricketer. I think this world cup will suit the spinners nicely and Samuels' off spin will come in very handy. He's a very good batsman though and is quite capable of covering this total with the bat. Given there's the chance he'll take wickets and possibly a catch too I think the overs look a safe bet. 10pts S.Malik's Performance Pts 33&Over 8/11 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Shoaib Malik is a good all round cricketer for Pakistan. His off spin is capable of taking wickets particularly against this West Indian lower order and he's also a very good batsman floating up and down the order. He's another who could clear this with the bat but given he's got the wicket or catch potential he should cover 33pts. 10pts Over 4.5 6's 5/6 Boylesports There is lots of potential about in this match and the potential for lots of big hitting. Gayle, Samuels, Bravo, Pollard, Lara all hit big for West Indies while Nazir, Younis, Yousuf, Mahmood and Arafat can all clear the ropes for Pakistan. Grounds in the West Indies are fairly small and I don't see 5 6's being a problem here. The pitch should be good and the weather is set fair and the explosive hitters should cover this without any trouble.

thanks crouchy. no chance of it opening for a little while then??
Not sure mate, I generally use Betfair for these kinds of markets, though if a bookie has good odds I wont hesitate to take them (i.e. Bond in CB Series). Some firms might open them after each game, or perhaps after rounds of game (i.e. once every team plays their first game etc.) I would imagine pricing them up after each individual game might be more difficult, but like I said, I'm really not too sure.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Small each way punts for fun on: Top Runscorer: Gibbs @ 40/1, Dravid @ 33/1, Hussey @ 28/1, Yousuf @ 25/1 Top Wicket Taker: Bradshaw @ 50/1, Singh @ 33/1, Clark @ 25/1, Ntini @ 12/1 Top 6 Hitter: Oram @ 22/1, Dhoni @ 16/1

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Overall tournament I like the look of Sri Lanka Each Way who I feel have the batting power in Jayasaria, Sangakarra etc. although the lack of a big hitter down the order in a Kemp/Dhoni/Oram role concerns me. Murali is a massive threat generally never mind on these wickets and therefore I fancy him to be the leading wicket taker in the tournament. Malinga could be the dangerous wicket taker they need if he can keep some sort of control. In regards to top batsmen in the tournament Chanderpaul who could be used as an opener could be each way value also along with Sangakarra who I rate as the best keeper batsmen in the world.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread FOUR Trebles for me, each for a stake of 10pts Ponting Most Aus Runs, Yousuf Most Pak Runs, Pietersen Most Eng Runs @ 36.97 - Centrebet Ponting Most Aus Runs, Yousuf Most Pak Runs, Bond Most NZ Wkts @ 27.46 - Centrebet Ponting Most Aus Runs, Bond Most NZ Wkts, Pietersen Most Eng Runs @ 29.57 - Centrebet Bond Most NZ Wkts, Pietersen Most Eng Runs, Yousuf Most Pak Runs @ 29.57 - Centrebet IMO these players are the most standout players in a team. Ponting is the best batsman in the world and miles above the rest. The Aussie opening partnership has had troubles lately and I think Ponting is well and truly in pole position for this one. Yousuf I feel is in a similar position, with neither Akmal nor Hafeez convincing. Younis is a danger but I fancy Yousuf for this one. As for Pietersen, he is the most talented of the Poms and I feel that as always he will be the standout for England. THREE trebles, each for a 5pt stake Chanderpaul Most WI Runs, Sangakkara Most SL Runs @ 18 - Centrebet Chanderpaul Most WI Runs, Fleming Most NZ Runs @ 20.25 - Centrebet Fleming Most NZ Runs, Sangakkara most SL Runs @ 18 - Centrebet These 3 I'm not quite as confident about as the others, but I feel their prices of 4.00, 4.00 and 4.50 represent good value. Chanderpaul has been very successful at opener and Sangakkara is probably the best keeper batsman going around at the moment. Taylor threatens Fleming but Stephen has the experience and also top scored for NZ in the last World Cup.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Ireland Top Runscorer Eion Morgan 11/2 Betfred 10pts This will between 3 players ,Porterfield,Bray and Morgan all who have performed exceptionally well in the recent ICC League in Nairobi. But Morgan is a different class,tipped to follow Ed Joyce into the England set-up. .He is a talented left-handed middle-order batman, who broke into the Middlesex first XI in 2006 after some solid performances for the second team. He was an NBC Denis Compton award winner in 2003 and 2004 and has enjoyed plenty of success in the Intercontinental Cup hitting 151 of 150 balls in the 2005 semi-final against UAE, then scoring 209 not out against the same opponents to put his side into the final in 2007. That knock followed his successful time in Kenya with Ireland at the World Cricket League where he averaged 52.20 including his first ODI century against Canada, a superb 115 from 106 balls.

Re: Cricket: 2007 World Cup - Betting Thread Final Couple 5pts Ten Doeschete Most Netherlands Series Runs @ 4.25 Centrebet Is the only Netherlands player on the LG rankings, his career stats a class above the other dutch men. 5pts Sean Williams Most Zimbabwe Runs @ 7 Willhill Did best in the warm up games, scoring 72 against Bermuda and 44 against the Aussies. Statistically Sibanda is best but he made 2 single digit scores in warm ups and Williams is a better price.