AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17)

NAB Cup Fixture for Pre Season Cup

WEEK ONE – February 23-25
Match No.MatchVenueDateDayLocal TimeAEST)
1 Port Adelaide v Adelaide AAMI Stadium 23 February Friday (N) 19:10 19:40
2 Kangaroos v Collingwood Carrara 23 February Friday (N) 19:40 20:40
3 Western Bulldogs v Sydney Manuka Oval 24 February Saturday 15:40 15:40
4 Carlton v Essendon Telstra Dome 24 February Saturday (N) 18:10 18:10
5 St Kilda v Brisbane Lions Cazaly Stadium 24 February Saturday (N) 19:40 20:40
6 Geelong v Richmond Skilled Stadium 25 February Sunday 15:40 15:40
7 Melbourne v Hawthorn Telstra Dome 25 February Sunday (N) 18:10 18:10
8 Fremantle v West Coast Subiaco 25 February Sunday (N) 18:40 21:40
WEEK TWO – March 2-4
9 #5 v #3 (Stk/Bri v WBD/Syd) TBA 2 March Friday (N) TBA TBA
10 #7 v #4 (Haw/Mel v Car/Ess) Aurora Stadium 3 March Saturday (N) 18:10 18:10
11 #6 v #1 (Ric/Gee v Port/Ade) TIO Stadium 3 March Saturday (N) 19:10 20:40
12 #2 v #8 (Kan/Col v Fre/WCE) Telstra Dome 4 March Sunday 15:40 15:40
WEEK THREE – March 9-10
13 Winners of Matches 9 & 11 TBA 9 March Friday (N) TBA TBA
14 Winners of Matches 10 & 12 TBA 10 March Saturday (N) TBA TBA
GRAND FINAL – March 17
Match No.MatchVenueDateDay Local TimeAEST)
15 Winners of Matches 13 & 14 TBA 17 March Saturday (N) TBA TBA

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) For those of you who dont follow AFL or are unaware of what the Pre-Season Cup is, ill give you a quick run through. Basically the Pre-Season Cup is like a warm up to the real season and is always played over 4 weeks. Some teams take it seriously why other teams dont, it doesnt really mean anything prestigious as its only a 'practice' series but the winner does get $230,000 prize money which is quite a bit considering the real premier gets $250,000 Some teams use this series as a way to blood new players and give their more senior players a rest, while others field strong sides to go all out and win. But usually the best clubs dont win this and the last 2 years are a good example. In 2005 Carlton won the Pre-Season Trophy and then ended up finishing bottom of the real season, while last year Geelong won it and didnt even make the finals series. I cant remember a team who has won both the Pre-Season and Premiership trophies in the same season apart from Essendon in 2000. The Pre-Season Cup also is a means to try out different rules to our game. For example in the Pre-Season comp you get 9 points for kicking a goal outside 50 meters and you get 3 points for a deliberate rush behind. If you kick backwards in its also play on, etc. So its kind of exciting in a way, but it can hardly ever be taken serious.

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17)

For those of you who dont follow AFL or are unaware of what the Pre-Season Cup is, ill give you a quick run through. Basically the Pre-Season Cup is like a warm up to the real season and is always played over 4 weeks. Some teams take it seriously why other teams dont, it doesnt really mean anything prestigious as its only a 'practice' series but the winner does get $230,000 prize money which is quite a bit considering the real premier gets $250,000 Some teams use this series as a way to blood new players and give their more senior players a rest, while others field strong sides to go all out and win. But usually the best clubs dont win this and the last 2 years are a good example. In 2005 Carlton won the Pre-Season Trophy and then ended up finishing bottom of the real season, while last year Geelong won it and didnt even make the finals series. I cant remember a team who has won both the Pre-Season and Premiership trophies in the same season apart from Essendon in 2000. The Pre-Season Cup also is a means to try out different rules to our game. For example in the Pre-Season comp you get 9 points for kicking a goal outside 50 meters and you get 3 points for a deliberate rush behind. If you kick backwards in its also play on, etc. So its kind of exciting in a way, but it can hardly ever be taken serious.
Especially when Carlton is playing :rollin

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) So Essendon are into 10.00 equal fourth pick! :eek Personally I'm still waiting to find out the good reason for this. I had buddies who were Essendon fans (I know, :$:$:$ !) and worked with Essendon nutters also, as well as having beer spilled on at Windy Hill on numerous occasions, so I know all about their obsessive nature, quite distinct from supporters of many other clubs. I can't help to speculate that some of this nature is driving the price here. From what I've been hearing Lloyd will bounce straight back to top form - 100's a cert apparently and may even break the Pratt/Hudson record. Hird at 87 years old will win the Brownlow and they have a crop of young guns about to set the world on fire. The win over the All Stars the other night apparently stakes their claim as Premiership contender! http://bombersfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=players&spg=browseall What I see is, although no great pointer anyway, the All Stars the other night off on morale a little over the Googes, O'Laughlin fiasco, yes, a defence that potentially rivals other top clubs, despite losing Solomon. Perhaps Johns will blossom and Monfries is coming along nicely. However, they have a slow and basic midfield, younger players that are simply no match for those at most other clubs. I've mentioned Hird. Lloyd, Lovett, and Camporeale have missed a lot of footy and likely may struggle for timing fitness and form. They still have Sheedy - maybe he something left in the bag, we'll find out?? They get troubled-Carlton first up then may have to play Hawthorn in Tassie, which will be real hard to win. They then could face a trip to Perth. As I said, given it's NAB Cup, maybe there's some good reason why so short but at this point they're a long way off any support from me at those odds. Ash.

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) At 87, Hird is still in the top 5 players in the AFL. Lloyd WILL kick 70+... ...which frees up Lucas to be even more damaging that he was last season. Write off Camporeale... but Monfries, Dyson, Lovett, Stanton and Watson isn't a bad middle at all imo. Michael down back gives Feltcher the chance to stay deep...also takes out the dependane on either Bolton or Bradley to play a key position. Who knows how Johns will go...but with him and Lloyd leading off the FF line it HAS to be a good thing...well, compared to last year it IS a rediculously good set up! After years of not caring one little bit about the pre-season, Sheedy has turned it around in the last couple of years. Could well be statement time this year. As I said in the other thread, Port and Ess for me at good odds and could wel play off for the Cup.

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) :welcome back from the Pub [Loki] :lol Care to say that again mate? Port, despite a strong quarter-draw, I am keeping safe myself. They could easily get to the semi which could amount to their only away game being a neutral one in Darwin (week-2). The query is with so many young players on their list will Williams be even keener to fast track their progress by playing more youngsters than usual? Freo are clear overs IMO. I've been looking for reasons why such big odds (10.00 now) but arn't finding any. Obviously they look poised, having taken a big maturity leap. They have just had the one intra hitout though (under NAB Cup rules though) while most clubs go in with two. By all reports they have plenty work in them though. They might be granted their second hitout in Rd-1. Worsfold doen't want the million. He's keen to nurse his troops again - as planned. Usually a hurdle to go IS in this tourny v Coll/Kang but should be developed enough to do it, then will get home Semi (fairly likely, I feel). I've marked them the 7.10 fave. Saints are way too short IMO (13.00). They rely a lot on their stars IMO and none of them are available.

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) I think the Kangaroos are good value at 13. They start out against a Collingwood team missing many of their stars, including Buckley, Holland, Fraser, Licuria and Didak. Next up is a home match against Freo or WCE. I highly doubt the Eagles will be their opponents, so I'll look at Freo. Chris Connolly was quoted in today's West Australian as saying they'll be trying to win every match they play in, however they'll employ a risk-free strategy. Also, he pointed out that if they make it through the first few rounds and make the finals they could play 30 matches this season. This sounds as if he wouldn't mind an early exit and, coming up against a fired up Kangas, maybe he'll keep the likes of Pavlich under wraps. Also, Freo don't really need the money, with membership at record levels and the club in profit last year (also no Schammer or Tarrant in pre-season). And the Kangas have a nine-day break compared to the West Aussies who have seven. Essendon or Carlton are the likely semi final opponents (who will meet in Tassie), although I think that the Kangas starting training before any other club and their full list may get them over the line against anyone, even Geelong, who I think could feature in the other half of the draw.

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) Yeah Fazz, most clubs will rest blokes and if Kangas go in strong they should be tough. Carlton/Essendon play in the first round in Melb though. The winner meets Haw/Melb in Tassie. If it's Hawthorn then I'd fancy Hawthorn at their fortress and rejuvenated off last years strong finish. They've been quite through the press - often a positive sign IMO. Melbourne will be tough also, considering the players they have at hand including improvement from those three or four top younsters they introduced last year. I prefer the idea more of a Kangas or Freo v Hawks or Demons in the semi. Looks like i'm the only one around here who doesn't see Essendon.:unsure Geelong desevedly should be as short as they are IMO. I do have a hunch about Richmond sneeking in though, despite their tough group.

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) G'Day everyone. Over the last few years, I've found the NAB Cup a good place to make some cash and get some winners at some juicy odds. Hopefully, the 2007 version will be no different. What I do each year before the season starts is to rank every player in each team from 1 (being the best) to 29, with the remaining players on the list each ranked 30. By adding up each player in a team, you can estimate the team's strength before a match starts. With the squads being named gradually over the next few days, we should be able to tell what teams are treating the tournament seriously and which teams are giving their youngsters a go. With my lists, I can give an accurate assessment of which teams are leaving their gun players on the sidelines for an extra few weeks. With squads of 28 being named of which 24 will play, I have ranked every player in each squad and added them together. The lower the final figure, the stronger a team is. For example, if a team played their best possible team, the final figure would be 403. If a team played their worst possible team, the final figure would be 669.

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) Adelaide v Port Adelaide The Crows have named a good squad naming 15 of their best 22. Key players missing include Riccuito, Burton, Johncock and Pirrie. Adelaide ranking 551. Port have named a strong squad naming 19 of their best 22, with Tredrea the only major omission. Port Adelaide ranking 466. Adelaide likely to start favourite, but Port look the goods. Kangaroos v Collingwood If there is one team in it to win it, it is the Kangaroos. They have named 19 of their best 22, with Archer being rested. They have a very experienced line-up and should win comfortably. Kangaroos ranking is 458. Coliingwood are headed up to the Gold Coast for a holiday. They've named half their best team, but 11 of their best 17 left at home. Main aim obviously is to give the kids a go. Collingwood rating is 617. Port and Kangaroos for me on Friday night, with Port hopefully an underdog.

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) Round 1 NAB Cup squads News

All the squads for the opening round of the 2007 NAB Cup. Port Adelaide v Adelaide - AAMI Stadium, Friday 23 February 2007 at 7:10pm* Port Adelaide squad: 2. Darryl Wakelin, 3. Steven Salopek, 4. Daniel Motlop, 5. Brendon Lade, 6. Adam Thomson, 7. Peter Burgoyne, 8. Shaun Burgoyne, 10. Travis Boak, 11. Ryan Willits, 12. Nathan Lonie, 15. David Rodan, 16. Danyle Pearce, 18. Kane Cornes, 20. Dean Brogan, 21. Michael Wilson, 22. Josh Mahoney, 23. Brad Symes, 24. Damon White, 25. Domenic Cassisi, 26. Nick Lower, 29. Nathan Krakouer, 30. Troy Chaplin, 33. Brett Ebert, 34. Adam Cockshell, 35. Chad Cornes, 36. Michael Pettigrew, 41. Greg Bentley, 44. Tom Logan. Adelaide squad: 2. John Meesen, 5. Scott Thompson, 6. Jonathan Griffin, 7. Nathan Van Berlo, 8. Nathan Bassett, 9. Tyson Edwards, 10. Matthew Bode, 11. Michael Doughty, 12. Robert Shirley, 13. Ben Hudson, 14. David Mackay, 15. Jason Torney, 16. Ken McGregor, 17. Scott Welsh, 19. Darren Pfeiffer, 21. Chris Knights, 23. Andrew McLeod, 25. Ben Rutten, 26. Richard Douglas, 27. Scott Stevens, 28. Bernie Vince, 33. Brent Reilly, 36. Simon Goodwin, 39. Martin Mattner, 40. Jason Porplyzia, 42. Rhys Archard, 43. Andrew McIntyre, 44. Nathan Bock. Kangaroos v Collingwood - Carrara, Friday 23 February 2007 at 7:40pm* Kangaroos squad: 1. Hamish McIntosh, 2. Jonathan Hay, 3. Brady Rawlings, 4. Daniel Harris, 6. Shannon Grant, 7. Adam Simpson, 8. Daniel Wells, 9. Jess Sinclair, 12. Lindsay Thomas, 13. David Trotter, 16. Leigh Brown, 18. Brad Moran, 19. Andrew Swallow, 20. Drew Petrie, 21. Corey Jones, 23. Nathan Thompson, 24. Michael Firrito, 26. Lachlan Hansen, 27. Aaron Edwards, 28. Matt Riggio, 29. Brent Harvey, 30. Daniel Pratt, 31. David Hale, 32. Eddie Sansbury, 36. Shannon Watt, 38. Josh Gibson, 43. Matt Campbell, 44. Djaran Whyman. Collingwood squad: 1. Leon Davis, 2. Sean Rusling, 3. Ryan Lonie, 7. Paul Medhurst, 10. Scott Pendlebury, 13. Dale Thomas, 14. Shane Wakelin, 15. Chris Egan, 16. Nathan Brown, 17. Scott Burns, 19. Ben Davies, 20. Ben Reid, 21. Guy Richards, 22. Rhyce Shaw, 26. Ben Johnson. 27. Nick Maxwell, 28. Danny Stanley, 29. Ryan Cook, 30. Harry O’Brien, 32. Travis Cloke, 33. Brad Dick, 34. Alan Toovey, 37. Sam Iles, 39. Heath Shaw, 40. Chris Bryan, 41. Sharrod Wellingham, 43. Martin Clarke, 44. Daniel Nicholls. Western Bulldogs v Sydney – Manuka Oval, Saturday 24 February 2007 at 3:40pm* Western Bulldogs squad: 1. Farren Ray, 4. Daniel Cross, 5. Matthew Boyd, 6. Brad Johnson, 7. Scott West, 9. Lindsay Gilbee, 13. Daniel Giansiracusa, 15. Sam Power, 16. Ryan Griffen, 18. Cameron Faulkner, 19. Shaun Higgins, 20. Travis Baird, 21. Jason Akermanis, 22. Dylan Addison, 23. Jordan McMahon, 27. Will Minson, 28. Damien McCormack, 29. Andrejs Everitt, 30. Matthew Robbins, 31. Josh Hill, 32. Andrew McDougall, 34. Wayde Skipper, 36. Brian Harris, 37. Cameron Wight. 39. Malcolm Lynch, 40. Jarrod Harbrow, 41. Marty Pask, 43. Brett Montgomery. Sydney squad: 2. Nick Davis, 3. Jarrad McVeigh, 4. Ben Matthews, 5. Ryan O’Keefe, 6. Craig Bolton, 8. Daniel O’Keefe, 9. Nick Malceski, 18. Jesse White, 22. Matthew Laidlaw, 23. Peter Faulks, 25. Ted Richards, 26. Sean Dempster, 27. Kristin Thornton, 29. Jonathan Simpkin, 31. Brett Kirk, 32. Amon Buchanan, 34. Ryan Brabazon, 35. Daniel Currie, 36. Tim Schmidt, 37. Adam Goodes, 38. Luke Vogels, 40. Nick Smith, 41. Ed Barlow, 42. Paul Bevan, 45. Earl Shaw, 46. Sam Rowe, 47. Simon Phillips, 48. Kieren Jack. Carlton v Essendon - Telstra Dome, Saturday 24 February 2007 at 6:10pm* Carlton squad: 1. Andrew Walker, 2. Jordan Russell, 3. Marc Murphy, 4. Bryce Gibbs, 5. Josh Kennedy, 6. Kade Simpson, 7. Adam Bentick, 8. Lance Whitnall, 9. Jason Saddington, 11. Cain Ackland, 12. Matthew Lappin, 14. Brad Fisher, 17. Setanta O’hAilpin, 18. Paul Bower, 19. Eddie Betts, 23. Adam Hartlett, 24. Nick Stevens, 25. Brendan Fevola, 26. Joe Anderson, 28. Cameron Cloke, 29. Heath Scotland, 30. Jarrad Waite, 32. Bret Thornton, 33. Ryan Houlihan, 38. Ryan Jackson, 41. Ross Young, 43. Anthony Koutoufides, 44. Andrew Carrazzo. Essendon squad: 4. Jobe Watson, 5. James Hird, 6. Angus Monfries, 8. Jason Winderlich, 10. Mark McVeigh, 11. Damien Peverill, 12. Andrew Welsh, 13. Andrew Lovett, 14. Jason Johnson, 15. Courtenay Dempsey, 16. Kepler Bradley, 18. Matthew Lloyd, 19. David Hille, 20. Henry Slattery, 21. Courtney Johns, 22. Mal Michael, 23. Mark Bolton, 23. Richard Cole, 24. Brent Stanton, 25. Scott Lucas, 26. Chris Heffernan, 27. Jason Laycock, 29. Alwyn Davey, 30. Patrick Ryder, 31. Dustin Fletcher, 36. Sam Lonergan, 42. Nathan Lovett-Murray, 43. Bachar Houli. St Kilda v Brisbane – Cazaly Stadium, Saturday 24 February 2007 at 7.40pm * Brisbane squad: 2. Chris Johnson, 4. Ben Fixter, 5. Scott Harding, 6. Luke Power, 7. Jed Adcock, 8. Tim Notting, 9. Ashley McGrath, 10. Matthew Moody, 11. Justin Sherman, 12. James Hawksley, 13. Chris Schmidt, 15. Matthew Tyler, 17. Jared Brennan, 19. Jamie Charman, 20. Simon Black, 21. Daniel Merrett, 24. Joel Patfull, 25. Wayde Mills, 30. Robert Copeland, 31. Cameron Wood, 32. Cheynee Stiller, 35. Michael Rischitelli, 37. Sam Sheldon, 38. Haydn Kiel, 40. Will Hamill, 42. Marcus Allan, 43. Beau McDonald 46. Colm Begley. St Kilda squad: 1. Jason Gram, 3. Xavier Clarke, 4. Andrew Thompson, 10. Steven Baker, 11. Leigh Montagna, 17. Aaron Fiora, 18. Brendon Goddard, 20. David Armitage, 21. Matthew Ferguson, 22. Shane Birss, 24. Barry Brooks, 25. Sam Fisher, 27. Jason Blake, 28. Matthew Clarke, 29. Michael Rix, 30. Brad Howard, 32. Andrew McQualter, 33. James Gwilt, 34. Phil Raymond, 36. Jarryd Allen, 37. Justin Sweeney, 38. Clint Jones, 39. Luke van Rheenen, 40. Robert Eddy, 41. James Wall, 42. Jarryn Geary, 43. Jayden Attard, 44. Stephen Milne. Geelong v Richmond – Skilled Stadium, Sunday 25 February 2007 at 3.40pm* Geelong squad: 1. Steven King, 2. Tom Harley, 3. Jimmy Bartel, 4. Andrew Mackie, 6. Brad Ottens, 7. Tim Callan, 8. Josh Hunt, 9. James Kelly, 11. Joel Corey, 14. Joel Selwood, 16. Charlie Gardiner, 17. Shannon Byrnes, 18. Nathan Djerrkura, 19. Matthew Egan, 21. Cameron Mooney, 23. Nathan Ablett, 24. Mark Blake, 27. Mathew Stokes, 29. Gary Ablett, 30. Matthew Scarlett, 32. Brent Prismall, 36. Todd Grima, 37. Joel Reynolds, 38. Sam Hunt, 39. Darren Milburn, 40. David Wojcinski, 44. Corey Enright, 45. Cameron Ling. Richmond squad: 1. Chris Newman, 2. Darren Gaspar, 3. Brett Deledio, 4. Andrew Raines, 6. Graham Polak, 7. Nathan Brown, 10. Shane Edwards, 11. Joel Bowden, 12. Matthew Richardson, 13. Trent Knobel, 14. Dean Polo, 15. Kayne Pettifer, 16. Patrick Bowden, 17. Kane Johnson, 21. Shane Tuck, 22. Danny Meyer, 26. Adam Pattison, 27. Andrew Krakouer, 30. Richard Tambling, 31. Chris Hyde, 32. Greg Tivendale, 33. Brent Hartigan, 34. Cleve Hughes, 35. Matthew White, 40. Kelvin Moore, 41. Nathan Foley, 43. Cam Howat, 44. Angus Graham. Hawthorn v Melbourne – Telstra Dome, Sunday 25 February 2007 at 6.10pm* Hawthorn squad: 2. Jarryd Roughead, 3. Jordan Lewis, 4. Rick Ladson, 5. Sam Mitchell, 6. Mark Williams, 9. Shane Crawford, 10. Chance Bateman, 12. Brad Sewell, 13. Simon Taylor, 14. Grant Birchall, 15. Luke Hodge, 16. Beau Dowler, 17. Beau Muston, 18. Brent Guerra, 20. Tim Boyle, 21. Richard Vandenberg, 22. Ben McGlynn, 23. Lance Franklin, 25. Tim Clarke, 26. Zac Dawson, 27. Stephen Gilham, 28. Matthew Little, 30. Campbell Brown, 33. Josh Thurgood, 34. Brent Renouf, 38. Travis Tuck, 39. Robert Campbell, 45. Clinton Young, Melbourne squad: 1. Simon Buckley, 2. Nathan Jones, 3. Clint Bizzell, 4. Ben Holland, 6. Matthew Bate, 7. Brad Miller, 8. James Frawley, 9. David Neitz, 10. Daniel Ward, 11. Paul Johnson, 13. Adem Yze, 14. Lynden Dunn, 17. Chris Johnson, 18. Brad Green, Number. Name, 21. Daniel Bell, 23. James McDonald, 24. Russell Robertson, 25. Nathan Brown, 27. Jared Rivers, 30. Simon Godfrey, 32. Cameron Bruce, 33. Byron Pickett, 35. Ryan Ferguson, 37. Matthew Warnock, 38. Daniel Hughes, 40. Mark Jamar, 41. Nathan Carroll, 45. Matthew Whelan. Fremantle v West Coast - Subiaco, Sunday 25 February 2007 at 6:40pm* Fremantle squad: 1. Luke Webster, 2. Josh Carr, 4. Paul Hasleby, 5. Ryley Dunn, 6. Dean Solomon, 7. Brett Peake, 8. Shaun McManus, 9. Matt Carr, 11. Des Headland, 14. Antoni Grover, 15. Ryan Crowley, 16. David Mundy, 18. Luke McPharlin, 19. James Walker, 20. Justin Longmuir, 24. Adam Campbell, 25. Steven Dodd, 27. Daniel Gilmore, 28. Ryan Murphy, 29. Matthew Pavlich, 30. Marcus Drum, 31. Aaron Sandilands, 33. Jeff Farmer, 35. Garrick Ibbotson, 36. Andrew Browne, 37. Michael Johnson, 41. Paul Duffield, 43. Roger Hayden. West Coast squad: 1. Mitch Brown, 2. Mark LeCras, 4. Daniel Kerr, 5. Tyson Stenglein, 7. Chad Fletcher, 8. Beau Waters, 9. Ben Cousins, 10. Michael Braun, 11. Matt Priddis, 14. Mark Seaby, 15. Chad Jones, 17. Daniel Chick, 18. Rowan Jones, 19. Tim Houlihan, 20. Dean Cox, 21. Quinten Lynch, 22. Jaymie Graham, 23. Darren Glass, 24. Matt Rosa, 25. Shannon Hurn, 27. Ben McKinley, 29. Ashley Hansen, 35. Steven Armstrong, 37. Adam Selwood, 38. Brett Jones, 39. Adam Hunter, 41. Brent Staker, 44. David Wirrpanda

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) Western Bulldogs (546) v Sydney (633)

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade has named a stronger squad than expected, with Cooney, Darcy, Grant and Murphy the key players missing. The Swans have named a weakened line-up with 13 of their best 22 out including Hall, Barry, O’Loughlin and Everitt out. A comfortable win to the Bulldogs is on the cards.

Carlton (426) v Essendon (477)

Carlton are at full strength and have no injuries. The Bombers have only McPhee and M.Johnson missing and it looks as though both side mean business. I fancy the Bombers in a close one.

Brisbane (552) v St.Kilda (664) The Lions have named a good squad for their visit to Cairns. Only Brown, Bradshaw and Lappin are the key players missing, so scoring could be an issue. The Saints have left their best 8 players at home with all areas of the ground being affected. They’ll give their kids a chance and hope for the best. Anything could happen in this match.

Geelong (509) v Richmond (559)

Both teams have named strong squads with very few rookies picked. The Cats are very experienced with Chapman the only star missing. Richmond have a few tall players injured and could be exposed in that area although their speed will trouble Geelong. I think the Cats will sneak home at home.

Hawthorn (489) v Melbourne (552)

The Hawks have named a strong squad with Croad, Smith, Dixon and Jacobs missing. The defence still looks a problem and will be stretched against the Demons. Melbourne will have a re-vamped midfield for this game with White, Johnstone, McLean and Davey missing but their forward line looks potent. Melbourne still should win, but it wont be easy.

Fremantle (490) v West Coast (499) A very even match-up with both teams looking strong. The Dockers have Bell and Parker out whilst the West Coast have Judd and Embley missing. The Dockers recent good record over the Eagles gives them the edge.

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) I am on the TAB Tri bet option of Either team under 15.5pts for both of the games tonight at 3.15 and 3.75 respectively. Both WA and SA teams face off against each other which means this first round of the NAB Cup meets the criteria for a system I have, but due to the nature of the cup I'll be executing these bets in singles rather than doubles and trebles as planned in future. Adelaide v Port - Either Team Under 15.5pts @ 3.15 Collingwood v Kangaroos - Either Team Under 15.5pts @ 3.75

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) Watched the Port/Adelaide game and it was pretty good quality and good effort by the power to get up....Adelaide look like they are going to continue in the same vein as the last 2 seasons by winning plenty if last night is anything to go on. They had a few god players out and the return of Hudson as a big man and Welsh as a scroing option up forward is going to improve them no end...For Port, Daniel Rodan played a handy first game and looks like a good cheap pickup...Peirce looks like he will step further again this season...Promising signs for Port, specially when Treadrea gets back. I also managed to watch a fair bit of the Kangaroos/Pies game and wish I hadn't...Was terrible game to watch, and thats not just cos I am a pies fan...Kangaroos were 10 goals up and still flooding into the backline...FFS play free flowing running football for the fans when you are ten goals up...Kangaroos had a pretty good side in and they had a couple of fast youngsters in Thomas and Campbell who scored some good goals...Pies had plenty of youngsters who turned the ball over a bit...Expect big seasons from Johnson, Rhyce Shaw and Scott Pendlebury.

Port and Kangaroos for me on Friday night, with Port hopefully an underdog. :clap:clap:clap
Great effort for a new member Crisp and look forward to more of the same :ok Good tip on the Port/Adelaide unders too Crouch :cheers Good luck with tonight's bets. Pre season is a lottery for me and rarely bet on them, but like your ranking system Crisp so may even take a look at some value over the weekend if it shows its face. :dude

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) Saw a bit of the Kangaroos-Collingwood game last night. What the hell have they done to our great game?!?! Thought i was watching Soccer or Basketball last night, honestly. Whats with the two halves of the ground being divided with a line like in soccer? Its only a matter of time before we see the offside rule introduced or a backcourt violation if you go into your back half. The match last night was possibly the worst ive seen in my life. I dont think Andrew Demetrio and the monkeys he works with will be content until they have ruined the game. I love AFL football, but it has lost most of its appeal to me now. Im only 22 years old, but i guess im lucky to of followed AFL and seen it in the early 90's before it sold out. Thank god we have the A-League now, thats all ill say...

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) Cant agree enough Ads...That game was really a stinker...I was actually looking forward to it and after about 10 minutes I lost interest...Port?Adelaide game was much higher standard though and free flowing game...The hands in the back rule played out ok I thought as it made defenders more accountable. Not really sure at the moment how much AFL I will watch as it is not the game it once was unfortunately.

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) I dont mind the game at the moment. I find that many years back it lacked a bit of finesse. However, after watching those 2 games I feel players are being told to handball far too much. I've always thought kicking to be the more major part of football. Moreover, they handball so much it oftens leaves them in trouble... and makes it appear all the more uglier. The new rule for kicking backwards might have something to do with it... but I really hope we dont see the end of those beautiful spearing kicks by Hodge. Having said that, I wonder if any of you could solve my query here. I placed a bet on Kangaroos to win by 1-39 points. They lost by 51 or so I think. Anyway, my bet came through as a winner. I found that it says "margin betting resulted at the end of normal time". Not quite sure what that means, does that exclude injury time? Or has the bookie just made a mistake?

Great effort for a new member Crisp and look forward to more of the same :ok Good tip on the Port/Adelaide unders too Crouch :cheers Good luck with tonight's bets. Pre season is a lottery for me and rarely bet on them, but like your ranking system Crisp so may even take a look at some value over the weekend if it shows its face. :dude
Thanks BJ. I agree that pre-seasons and trials are a lottery, but with both derbies happening this weekend I couldn't resist. Have gone the U15.5 in all of today's matches too. Nice work too Crisp :ok

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) Okay. My bookie must be intoxicated at the moment because its just happened again. My Bet- Western Bulldogs to win at -27.5 They win by 27 points. So technically Sydney win by 0.5points. Yet my bet comes through as a winner. If both my legs break in the near future I'll know why.

Re: AFL Pre-Season Cup - (Feb 23 - Mar 17) sportsbet.com.au In other news, I also fancy Brisbane Lions. I think the lions will be more suited to the conditions up there and St Kilda without their big guns are pretty useless in front of goal. They have some good young midfielders and guys that are great at running out of defence but the Lions will have more experience if the likes of Power and Black play.

Okay. My bookie must be intoxicated at the moment because its just happened again. My Bet- Western Bulldogs to win at -27.5 They win by 27 points. So technically Sydney win by 0.5points. Yet my bet comes through as a winner. If both my legs break in the near future I'll know why.
You may find they'll correct the mistake, koi. Would you like me to ring them mate, just in case they don't notice. :lol