A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January

Friday 19 January 2007
HomeDrawAwaybookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">sp.gifBPP
New Zealand Knights v Perth Glory (05:00 GMT)2.463.252.87107% Related markets...Match ResultHalf-time/Full-time- - -Correct ScoreDouble ChanceHalf-time Correct ScoreHalf-time ResultOver/Under
Newcastle United Jets v Melboune (09:00 GMT)2.363.503.25102% Related markets...Match ResultAsian HandicapHalf-time/Full-time- - -Correct ScoreBoth Teams To ScoreDouble ChanceHalf-time Correct ScoreHalf-time ResultOver/Under
Saturday 20 January 2007
HomeDrawAwaybookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged.">sp.gifBPP
Queensland v Sydney (09:00 GMT)2.423.253.20104% Related markets...Match ResultHalf-time/Full-time- - -Correct ScoreDouble ChanceHalf-time Correct ScoreHalf-time ResultOver/Under
Sunday 21 January 2007
Central Coast Mariners v Adelaide Utd (08:00 GMT)2.603.252.75106% Related markets...Match ResultHalf-time/Full-time- - -Correct ScoreDouble ChanceHalf-time Correct ScoreHalf-time ResultOver/Under

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January Newcastle Jets v Melbourne Victory Friday 19 January, 8.00pm AEDT (7.00pm AEST (Qld only), 7.30pm ACDT, 6.00pm AWDT) EnergyAustralia Stadium, Newcastle Newcastle Squad: 40.Ante COVIC (gk) 2.Steve EAGLETON 3.Jade NORTH 5.Milton RODRIGUEZ 6.Andrew DURANTE 8.Matt THOMPSON 9.Vaughan COVENY 10.Nick CARLE 12.Paul OKON (Captain) 13.Adam D’APUZZO 14.Stuart MUSIALIK 16.Labinot HALITI 18.Joel GRIFFITHS 19.Mark BRIDGE 20.Ben KENNEDY (gk) 22.Steven OLD 24.Paul KOHLER 25.Tim BROWN * three to be omitted In: Paul Okon (returns from injury), Stuart Musialik (returns from suspension), Labinot Haliti (promoted) Out: Nil Others Unavailable: Craig Deans (knee – season), Jobe Wheelhouse (ankle – season) Melbourne Squad: 1.Michael THEOKLITOS (gk) 2.Kevin MUSCAT (capt) 4.Mark BYRNES 8.FRED 9.Danny ALLSOPP 10.Archie THOMPSON 11.Vince LIA 12.Rodrigo VARGAS 13.Kristian SARKIES 14.Adrian CACERES 15.Adrian LEIJER 17.Grant BREBNER 18.ALESSANDRO 20.Eugene GALEKOVIC (gk) 22.Leigh BROXHAM. In: Grant Brebner (return from suspension), Mark Byrnes (return from suspension), Adrian Leijer (return from suspension), Alessandro (promoted) Out: Simon Storey (omitted), Steve Pantelidis (omitted), Michael Ferrante (omitted), Antun Kovacic (omitted) Others Unavailable: Daniel Piorkowski (hamstring – season) Impending stats, facts and trivia - Newcastle Jets need only 5081 spectators to go through the gates to hit 100,000 fans for the season. - The Hyundai A-League Premiers Plate will be presented to Melbourne Victory Coach, Ernie Merrick, and Captain, Kevin Muscat, by Football Federation Australia Chief Executive Officer, Ben Buckley prior to kick-off.

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January Jets v Victory Date: Friday January 19 Kick-off (local time): 8.00pm Venue: EnergyAustralia Stadium Radio coverage: ABC 1233 Newcastle (1233AM) - http://abc.net.au/newcastle/football/ SEN1116 (Melbourne) 1116am - http://www.sen.com.au/index.php Head-to-head Five league meetings: Newcastle - 2 wins, Melbourne - 2 wins, 1 draw Previous meeting Melbourne 0 Newcastle 1 (Telstra Dome, Hyundai A-League round 14, November 2006) Last five results Newcastle: Win - Loss - Loss - Win - Draw Melbourne: Draw - Win - Win - Draw - Lost Analysis Proud premier Melbourne Victory will be aiming to go the whole season unbeaten away from home when they travel to Newcastle to tackle the playoff-chasing Jets at EnergyAustralia Stadium. Under the guidance of coach Ernie Merrick, Melbourne has won eight and drawn one of its nine road trips this term and will become the first team to record such a feat since the inception of the Hyundai A-League. In contrast, the Victory has slipped to three defeats at home including last Friday's shock 2-1 loss to Queensland, a result which helped nudge Gary van Egmond's side out of the top four. The league leader also lost at home to the Jets when Milton Rodriguez scored midway though the second-half in the sides' previous meeting, one of six goals the Colombian striker has netted this season. Rodriguez and under-23 hotshot Mark Bridge top Newcastle's goalscoring charts with six strikes, one behind Melbourne's Kevin Muscat but well adrift of the league's leading duo Daniel Allsopp and Archie Thompson. Thompson, who scored last week against the Roar, needs one goal to draw level with strike partner Allsopp on 11 goals in the race for the Golden Boot. All that's on Van Egmond's mind is the victory which will keep the Jets in contention for a place in the minor semi-final. They must avoid defeat at all costs. With that in mind, captain Paul Okon's return from a month on the sidelines with a torn quad muscle couldn’t have come at a more opportune time with midfielder Stuart Musialik also back in the squad after a one-match suspension. Musialik, who was one of nine players from Newcastle and Melbourne called into Rob Baan's first Olyroos training camp of 2007, has grown in stature since Van Egmond's appointment as coach in September. Victory midfielder Leigh Broxham was another call-up for the Olyroos squad and the 19-year-old midfielder keeps his place in Merrick's travelling party despite the recalls of banned trio Adrian Leijer, Grant Brebner and Mark Byrnes. Simon Storey and Steve Pantelidis are rested after picking up three yellow cards, however Jets defender Andrew Durante, who's precariously balanced on six bookings, is included for the hosts. One more could rule him out of both legs of the minor semi-final. From A League Website

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January Current Odds

Friday

X

NEWCASTLE JETS

$2.25

$3.40

$2.75

MELBOURNE VICTORY

Saturday

X

QUEENSLAND ROAR

$2.30

$3.20

$2.80

SYDNEY FC

Sunday

X

NEW ZEALAND KNIGHTS

$2.30

$3.25

$2.80

PERTH GLORY

Sunday

X

CENTRAL COAST MARINERS

$2.55

$3.20

$2.50

ADELAIDE UNITED

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January Newcastle vs Melbourne Very tough game to bet in this one, infact ill start by saying that i wont be betting in it. I'll offer my suggestions on how i think the match will pan out, but this is a situation where there are good points for eitehr team to win. On Newcastles side is the fact they must win this match to make the play offs or they will miss out so motivation will be high as their entire season is banked on the outcome of this match. They have already beaten Melbourne this year to and that was on the road, so they have prooved they are more than capable of beating them, plus Melbourne has only won 1 of the past 4 meetings between the two sides. On Melbournes side is the fact they are the top team in this league and wrapped up top spot before Christmas, they are also brilliant on the road taking 25 of a possible 27 points on their travels, so thats 8 wins & 1 draw from 9 matches which is brilliant in any league. Team news actually favours Newcastle here as they basically have a fully fit side. Craig Deans and Jobe Wheelhouse are the only players missing, but they have been out for alot of the season and arent important players anyway. They have captain Paul Okon returning and Stuart Musialik will return to the side. For Melbourne they will miss several players including Simon Storey, Steve Pantelidis, Michael Ferrante and Antun Kovacic. They arent huge losses, but Storey and Pantelidies have been regular first team players during this season and they miss these guys in defence. Grant Brebner, Allesandro and Adrian Leijer return to the starting line up and these guys are top class players so will make an impact. Mark Byrnes returns also but i doubt he will get a start after his performances against Perth, he was terrible. I think i would slightly favour Newcastle here as they have so much on the line and have a fit side in, but looking at Melbournes away form its hard to ignore. I think its best to sit back and enjoy this game and not have a bet. NO BET

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January Newcastle Jets Vs Melbourne Victory

Previous Meetings Newcastle J W2-D1-L2 (Home W1-D0-L1)

2006-11-26 Melbourne 0-1 Newcastle

2006-10-08 Newcastle 0-2 Melbourne

2006-01-22 Newcastle 1-0 Melbourne

2005-11-11 Melbourne 0-0 Newcastle

2005-09-25 Melbourne 1-0 Newcastle

The Jets are one team who has always played well againstMelbourne, and the slate is fairly even in head to head meetings. The Jets one the last meeting by the solitary goal at Telstra Dome and was a great effort.

Last 8

Games

M

W

D

L

P

F

A

Jets

Home

Melbourne

Away

Jets have a 50% home record which is pretty good, while Melbourne have only dropped two pints away from home

Don’t have any time to do much of a review. Both sides are at almost full strength and the Jets have to win this game else they will struggle to make the final four. Melbourne are not very happy about losing to Queensland last week and when you watch the match as I did, then the Victory really should have kicked 4 or 5 goals. The Roar keeper was freakish on the night.

The Jets have never performed this season when the pressure was on to perform. Combine that with the odds of Melbourne at $2-70 and I am on the away team for pure value. Everyone says the Jets have to win, they need to win, they will win because they have to. Means jack when all is said and done. Melbourne is clearly the better team and their away form is sensational, and Melbourne will not want to lose two in a row, especially going into the finals. Melbourne is $1-90 to win the Flag, why wouldn't you take $2-75 to beat the Jets? The Draw No Bet also appeals for a team who has not lost an away game this season.

BET

Melbourne Straight Out to Win @ $2-75 Melbourne Draw No Bet @ $2-05

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January I fancy Melbourne to win tonight. Newcastle though have to go all out to get a result so I expect them to score. Victory have won 3 of their last 8 on the road by 2 goals to 1 and I will take them to do the same tonight at $11 (sportingbet) It should be noted though, that I couldn't pick my nose at the moment, let alone a winner.

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January Those taking Melbourne i urge you to be careful. Sure they are great on the road, but it doesnt matter if they win lose or draw tonight, they will still finish top of the table so there cant be alot of motivation there. Newcastle's season comes down to this 1 match so to say they wont be motivated is an understatement. Melbourne are a very good chance and will probably win, but i suggest against staking large here as its a very risky match. Motivation is a huge factor in Soccer

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January

Those taking Melbourne i urge you to be careful. Sure they are great on the road, but it doesnt matter if they win lose or draw tonight, they will still finish top of the table so there cant be alot of motivation there. Newcastle's season comes down to this 1 match so to say they wont be motivated is an understatement. Melbourne are a very good chance and will probably win, but i suggest against staking large here as its a very risky match. Motivation is a huge factor in Soccer
I will have to say that Newcastle have been chockers all season and i expect them to do the same tonight infront of a packed energy australia stadium. Newcastle will be pushing hard for goals and i expect Melbourne to get them on the counter attack.

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January I will have a small stake on Over 2.5 goals in Newcastle - Melbourne today. Melbourne have played a lot of Over 2.5 games since they won the top place in the table and starting rotating the squad. They have also scored more goals away then at home. Newcastle are not prolific scorers at home but they certainly must try to attack today in order to get a result. Odds around evens look OK to me.

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January Newcastle Jets v Melbourne Victory History matches Nov 26, 2006 A-League Melb. Victory Newcastle Jets 0 - 1 Oct 08, 2006 A-League Newcastle Jets Melb. Victory 0 - 2 Aug 05, 2006 A-League Newcastle Jets Melb. Victory 2 - 3 Jan 22, 2006 A-League Newcastle Jets Melb. Victory 1 - 0 Nov 11, 2005 A-League Melb. Victory Newcastle Jets 0 - 0 Sep 25, 2005 A-League Melb. Victory Newcastle Jets 1 - 0 Jul 22, 2005 A-League Newcastle Jets Melb. Victory 1 - 1 Newcastle Jet: Jan 05, 2007 A-League Newcastle Jets CC Mariners 1 - 0 Jan 01, 2007 A-League Newcastle Jets Sydney FC 0 - 2 Nov 12, 2006 A-League Newcastle Jets CC Mariners 3 - 1 Nov 04, 2006 A-League Newcastle Jets Sydney FC 1 - 1 Oct 27, 2006 A-League Newcastle Jets Adelaide Utd 2 - 1 Oct 14, 2006 A-League Newcastle Jets NZ Knights 3 - 0 Oct 08, 2006 A-League Newcastle Jets Melb. Victory 0 - 2 Sep 29, 2006 A-League Newcastle Jets Perth Glory 0 - 3 Newcaste Out: Nil, Craig Deans (knee – season), Jobe Wheelhouse (ankle – season) Melbourne Out:Simon Storey (omitted), Steve Pantelidis (omitted), Michael Ferrante (omitted), Antun Kovacic (omitted), Daniel Piorkowski (hamstring – season) • Prediction = 1 • Odds = 2.35 • Stake = 5/10 • Bookmakers = Bet1128

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January Great to see you back in the A League Aristotle :cheers Good luck with your bet :ok For those interested... SEN1116 (Melbourne) 1116am - http://www.sen.com.au/index.php Click on little radio on top roght "Listen Live" Pre game preview of tonight's game between Jets and Melbourne Game a little over 30 minutes away.

I will have to say that Newcastle have been chockers all season and i expect them to do the same tonight infront of a packed energy australia stadium. Newcastle will be pushing hard for goals and i expect Melbourne to get them on the counter attack.
That's exactly my thinking Kid, and Melbourne at the great odds of $2-75. Melbourne at +1 are phenomonal odds, greater than even money. Just have to have a crack at them :dude

Great to see you back in the A League Aristotle :cheers Good luck with your bet :ok For those interested... SEN1116 (Melbourne) 1116am - http://www.sen.com.au/index.php Click on little radio on top roght "Listen Live" Pre game preview of tonight's game between Jets and Melbourne Game a little over 30 minutes away.
:cheers :hope

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January Had a thought that just occured to me - Why aren't all the games being played simultaneously? In the big European leagues the final round of the season has all the games taking place at the same time. I thought this was some sort of FIFA requirement? Or is it just a policy that has been adopted overseas and not here?

Had a thought that just occured to me - Why aren't all the games being played simultaneously? In the big European leagues the final round of the season has all the games taking place at the same time. I thought this was some sort of FIFA requirement? Or is it just a policy that has been adopted overseas and not here?
Great point Crouch and should all be played at the same time. Definite advanatge for some teams.

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January 15m Jets 0 - 0 Melbourne The Jets have come out hard in front of a massive home crowd, it looks packed in the stands and the noise is brilliant. The Jets have had about 5 or 6 shots already and the Melbourne keeper has made a couple of great saves. The Victory haven't had a chance to settle yet, but they will :dude

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January 38m Jets 1 - 0 Melbourne Terrible mistake in defence by Vargas, lazy in fact and gives mark bridge an easy goal to put newcastle in the lead. A deserved lead but completely against the run of play as the last 15 minutes Melbourne have controlled play and kept the Jets very quiet.

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January 48m Jets 2 - 0 Melbourne Another horrendous blunder in defence by melbourne and again another easy goal to Mark Bridge to put the Jets 2 goals up. The Jets have performed tonight when they had to, and Melbourne are not looking so good. The Victory are not taking it easy either, they are having a crack. They look slow and are going to go into the finals without a win in 3 games.

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January 72m Jets 4 - 0 Melbourne Newcastle's Joel Griffiths scores the easiest of goals as again Newcastle spilt the Victory's defence and this is a shattering loss for the Victory now. Newcastle has the hunger and the desire and they have not allowed Thompson and Allsop to fart yet alone do any damage. The Jets have harrassed Melbourne from the first whistle. The Jets have shown other teams how to beat Melbourne, and that's play them at their own game. Keep Thompson and Allsop quiet and Melbourne are rarely dangerous. Good to see the Jets in the four cos they have a crack every week. The loser of Brisbane and Sydney look like they will be out! If Adelaide lose then the Jets could even go to second and play Melbourne again next week. :loon

Re: A-League Round 21 - Friday 19th January - Sunday 21st January KEVIN MUSCAT YOU ARE A TWAT! A decision goes against Melbourne's Captain Kevin Muscat on 81m and he tosses the Captain's arm band and takes himself off. What a bloody sook, and what a great display as Captain! Muscat goes off the ground and then argues with the bench after Coach Merrick tells him to go back on. When things are going bad a team looks to it's Captain for guidance. Kevin Muscat you are a disgrace, and an embarressment as a Captain. He was happy camper while Melbourne were winning, now they havnt won for three games he sooks off the ground.

Those taking Melbourne i urge you to be careful. Sure they are great on the road, but it doesnt matter if they win lose or draw tonight, they will still finish top of the table so there cant be alot of motivation there. Newcastle's season comes down to this 1 match so to say they wont be motivated is an understatement. Melbourne are a very good chance and will probably win, but i suggest against staking large here as its a very risky match. Motivation is a huge factor in Soccer
I warned you guys that Newcastle had more motivation and it showed, they just attacked every single ball like it was their last and actualyl won it easy. Melbourne who had nothing to play for actually played that way, so now that the season is over they better get back on track and start doing the things they were doing earlier in the season. Great effort to see Newcastle make the finals here! They were doomed after 7 rounds when they were bottom without a win.

Any thoughts / leans on tonight's QLD v Sydney clash ..? Over 2.5 is rather juicy at $2.15
This is practically the finals beginning one week early with both teams with so much to play for. Qld have beat Sydney just once but will have a massive crowd behind them tonight. Not a game that I'm getting heavily involved with but I fancy the Roar to sneak home on the back of great crowd support. I've taken the Handicap draw option with Centrebet, which for all intents and purposes, means I have taken the Roar to win by exactly 1 goal @ $3.85. Unless I'm mistaken though, Qld need to push for a win, whereas Sydney will be safe with a draw, which means if the game is 0-0 late on Queensland will have to press forward, possibly allowing Sydney to get a winner on the counter. So for cover, I have backed Brosque for last goalscorer. He is a former Qld player so it would come as no surprise if he sunk the Qld hearts with a late winner.

This is practically the finals beginning one week early with both teams with so much to play for. Qld have beat Sydney just once but will have a massive crowd behind them tonight. Not a game that I'm getting heavily involved with but I fancy the Roar to sneak home on the back of great crowd support. I've taken the Handicap draw option with Centrebet, which for all intents and purposes, means I have taken the Roar to win by exactly 1 goal @ $3.85. Unless I'm mistaken though, Qld need to push for a win, whereas Sydney will be safe with a draw, which means if the game is 0-0 late on Queensland will have to press forward, possibly allowing Sydney to get a winner on the counter. So for cover, I have backed Brosque for last goalscorer. He is a former Qld player so it would come as no surprise if he sunk the Qld hearts with a late winner.
You might be spot on there Crouch! Sydney only need a draw to get through, and they certainly know how to shut up shop to tie a game up. Big pressure on Queensland to score and win tonight. I would love to see them get through.