UK Snooker Championship

Re: UK Snooker Championship

SportSnooker/Pool
EventUK Snooker
SelectionMurphy higher break than McManus
Strength10/10
Date07/12/2006
Bookmaker/PriceStan James @ 1.50 (Back)
ReasoningEven as short as 1.50, I think Murphy is still good value to win this bet. McManus doesn't score heavily as we all know by now and Murphy, well he's the complete opposite. The only way this bet fails, is if McManus has a steamer of a frame or Murphy puts in an awful performance. Considering all the facts, Murphy should be around 1.25, not 1.50.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UK Snooker Championship I caught Ebbo on a very good day :loon . 4 centuries, a 98 and a 96. Unbelievable stuff that. Selby made 3 tons and lost! Surreal. Anyway onto Thursday's matches. 10pts A.McManus (+2.5) to beat S.Murphy 5/6 Bet365 Alan McManus is playing some good snooker this season. He dropped out of the top 16 last season but has already signalled his intentions to get straight back in there. He made the semi finals of the Grand Prix in October and played well in his 1st match here. Shaun Murphy didn't have the greatest of Grand Prix's and maybe take a game or two to get into top form here. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that McManus will beat Murphy but McManus very rarely gets a job done on him and I think he can scrap well enough and take advantage of any rustiness in his opponent to get 7 frames.

Re: UK Snooker Championship Bingham won another match 9-8, good for my 1st quarter win bet, but I'm a bit worried for Ebdons brilliant form. Today I'm going for these: Hull to beat Robertson 3.65 Unibet Hull to beat Robertson 1.90 (+2.5) Bet365 Highest break in match Hull 2.50 Stan James Robin played well against Bond showing some good form. Robertson is an attacking player, but people often forget that Robin stands considerably high in all time ton-ups list. Robins weaknesses have been poor safety game and lack of consistency in tense situations. However, in this match he has 'nothing to lose' because Robertson is such a big favourite. Robertson won the last tournament, but he only had to face O'Sullivan out of the top-16 players. Anyhow, a win is a win and that surely gave Robertson a boost. Robertson's highest break in last tournament was 116, Robin had a 144. I believe this will be a tight contest, thus betting on the handicap and highest break is probably my choice.

I caught Ebbo on a very good day :loon . 4 centuries, a 98 and a 96. Unbelievable stuff that. Selby made 3 tons and lost! Surreal. Anyway onto Thursday's matches. 10pts A.McManus (+2.5) to beat S.Murphy 5/6 Bet365 Alan McManus is playing some good snooker this season. He dropped out of the top 16 last season but has already signalled his intentions to get straight back in there. He made the semi finals of the Grand Prix in October and played well in his 1st match here. Shaun Murphy didn't have the greatest of Grand Prix's and maybe take a game or two to get into top form here. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that McManus will beat Murphy but McManus very rarely gets a job done on him and I think he can scrap well enough and take advantage of any rustiness in his opponent to get 7 frames.
That's in. McManus leads 8-3 :loon

That's in. McManus leads 8-3 :loon
Robin also won his match. I don't know what happened to the highest break bet though, Robin had a 96, but was that the highest? Does anyone know where the official frame scores could be found? Interestingly we again picked _different_ underdogs succesfully. Last round I didn't even look at Dave Harold, and I didn't really believe in McManus either this round, to be honest. Not everything going my way, Steve Davis defeated Jamie Burnett. It's amazing how Steve can carry on at the age of 50 (almost).

Re: UK Snooker Championship 1 for me on Saturday, 10pts R.Day to beat D.Junhui 8/5 Premierbet Ryan Day is a very good price to see off the defending champion here. Ding has every right to be a bit jet lagged having ben round the world and back representing China in the Asian games recently, meaning he couldn't take his spot in the Premier League semi finals. He could have come back to an easier game here too. Ryan Day is an excellent all-round player who's breakbuilding is top notch and his tactical game safe, certainly better than Ding's. If there is any signs of jet-lag or rustiness on Ding's part then Day will take advantage and is well worth backing here.

Re: UK Snooker Championship Hi guys, busy in here this time round init! Gonna wait for some TV covourage before I place my tips, had no time due to work anyway! Anyone fancy Days chances against Ding later?? I do, oh so does KevsHat (Hi mate). Personally I think he has every chance. Ding does seem a bit tired in some of these UK torneys and Day could grind him down....

Re: UK Snooker Championship Day and Ding are locked together at 4-4 at half time. 1 for Sunday. 10pts Ebdon vs Bingham Over 15 frames 7/4 Ladbrokes This is an intersting 3rd round match up, one which could so easily go the distance. Bingham has rediscovered his form over the last couple of years and can match it with the best in the game now. He has a fairly strong all round game but when he gets chances he makes big breaks. Ebdon is as obdurate and gritty as there is in snooker these days. He was simply superb in beating mark Selby on Wednesday but it would be naive and foolish to expect him to be that good again here. This is a match I fully expect to swing one way and then the other with nobody building up a big lead. For this bet to win we need a 9-7 or 9-8 either way which I think has a very good chance.

Re: UK Snooker Championship First play for Monday: 10pts Doherty To Beat Perry @ 1.57 SJ's Doherty looked in fine form from what I saw on the last match, I'm expecting a good deal of progress from him this tornament. Perry's stormed through against Judge in his last but can be outclassed by Ken if he's on his best game, which he appears to be... Gotta be interested in over evens with Matthew Stevens tonight against Ding, how looked shattered and had to claw through his last against Day...

Re: UK Snooker Championship Ya I was on O'Sullivan yesterday as well, bit disappointed after being 4-0 up he only leads 5-3 at halfway. Doherty should be too strong for Judge alright. He was in superb form over the weekend. Stevens in the Handicap looks v attractive, I expect him to start particularly well against Ding given that Ding travelled to Asian games and came back to a tense tight 16 framer against Robin Day yesterday. Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser!

Re: UK Snooker Championship 10pts S.Davis to beat A.Mcmanus 13/10 Premierbet I'm a bit baffled by the odds on the nugget here I must say. Ok McManus beat Murphy emphatically in the previous round but let's not forget that would have been Murphy's 1st match for 6 weeks. McManus since then will have played qualifying matches for tournaments and his 1st round match here. Davis in contrast to Murphy has played matches recently, he was in the Premier League and played in the semi finals of that competition only last weekend. Davis is still as tough and durable as he was and he's not easy to beat. The Premier League tends to encourage Davis to attack and I think that's what he'll do here. He's at his best when playing at a good tempo and at these odds we really must be on the 6 times world champion.

Re: UK Snooker Championship 10 pts Steve Davis to beat Alan McManus 13/10 Premierbet I'm with kevshat on this one. I was very surprised to get odds against on the nugget. This game won't be quick, and it will get bogged down with long safety bouts - the kind of play that makes a lot of Mcmanus's opponents not particularly look forward to playing him. However, Davis will relish that kind of game - and if any player will out safety McManus - it will be Davis - and with neither player scoring heavily - this will be what the game will be decided upon. Davis, although well past his best, has refound his competitive instinct (I think due to his forays into 9-ball), and is playing better than he has for a good while. McManus, battling to stay in the top 32, has found some form this season - but looking at the fact that Davis is still in the top 16, this alone tells me that Davis shouldn't be odds against.

Re: UK Snooker Championship Aye Davis won fairly comfortably. More comfortably than the scoreline suggested. Nice one Cloud :ok . Glad you cashed in nicely Meaty :ok Not a bad tourney so far for the outrights. Both Perry and Hendry are in the quarters although both have tough matches now. I'll take a Hendry-Perry final though ;) Just one for me today. 10pts P.Ebdon to beat D.Junhui 2/1 Stan James The price on Ebdon has value written all over it here. He's been in scintillating form in this tournament so far, playing what can only really be described as off it's tits snooker at times. His performance against Mark Selby was something to behold. He made 4 centuries and 2 90's in beating the Leicester youngster 9-6. He then beat Stuart Bingham very comfortably 9-4. Ding has come past 2 Welshmen to make it to this stage. He's looked a tad jet-lagged in his matches though and the commentators have picked up on that. It's understandable really but if he is still tired coming into this match he can rely on Ebdon to send him to sleep! Seriously though, this is without a doubt Ding's biggest test of the tournament. Ebdon says he's practiced as hard for this as he does for Sheffield, and it's showing on the table. These 2 used to practice partners when Ding 1st came over here so both will know each other's games. Ebbo doesn't fear anybody and with him such good form - without doubt the best I've ever seen him in, and I include his World title win in that, he just has to be backed at this price.

Re: UK Snooker Championship I will also go with Ebdon to beat Junhui, smaller stake though since I have often crashed playing against Ding. Ebdon has the mental strength for one exceptional performance in a tournament (like beating Ronnie in world champs a few years ago). He had one against Selby already, but then had an easier win over Bingham. It's very important that Ebdon and Ding have practised together a lot in the past. My guess is that Ding has never seen Ebdon's tournament play, practise sessions are always more relaxed. This time Ding will face a gritty, determined player who will not give away too many chances. Ding won Ebdon 5 - 0 last year in China Open, but that was a different story alltogether.

Re: UK Snooker Championship John Higgins to beat Joe Perry 9-7 @ 7.5 Bet 365 2pts win 9-8 @ 8 Bet 365 2 pts win Joe Perry is starting to play snooker that justifies his place in the later stages of major championships - in fact, the best snooker of his career - and his second consecutive beating of Ken Doherty, he must be confident. John Higgins has breezed through the first two matches - overcoming an early deficit to beat Mark King 9-4, and a straightforward (but brilliant) victory over Stephen Lee. This all points to a close match for me - I can't see either player steamrollering this one. If it does end up tight, I think there could be a question mark over Joe Perry. After beating Doherty easily in the Grand Prix, he then lost a scrappy match to Jamie Cope - which he should have won - and if a match goes close, I'd be a Perry layer. Hence the 9-7 and 9-8 correct score bets. (Like the Ebdon bet too - looks value to me - cheers guys)

John Higgins to beat Joe Perry 9-7 @ 7.5 Bet 365 2pts win 9-8 @ 8 Bet 365 2 pts win Joe Perry is starting to play snooker that justifies his place in the later stages of major championships - in fact, the best snooker of his career - and his second consecutive beating of Ken Doherty, he must be confident. John Higgins has breezed through the first two matches - overcoming an early deficit to beat Mark King 9-4, and a straightforward (but brilliant) victory over Stephen Lee. This all points to a close match for me - I can't see either player steamrollering this one. If it does end up tight, I think there could be a question mark over Joe Perry. After beating Doherty easily in the Grand Prix, he then lost a scrappy match to Jamie Cope - which he should have won - and if a match goes close, I'd be a Perry layer. Hence the 9-7 and 9-8 correct score bets. (Like the Ebdon bet too - looks value to me - cheers guys)
Higgins about to go 7-0 :rollin (Oh well, at least I tipped him for the outright!!)

SportSnooker/Pool
EventO'Sullivan v Hendry
SelectionHendry Highest Break
Strength10/10
Date14/12/2006
Bookmaker/PriceBetDirect @ 2.62 (Back)
ReasoningWell this is way overpriced and has to be taken. Sure Ronnie looks in slightly better form, but Hendry always raises the bar when he plays Ronnie. I could have Ronnie as maybe a 1.70 favourite, but certainly not 1.44! A massive insult to the greatest break builder of all time, and arguably still so. 2.62? Yes please.

Re: UK Snooker Championship 1 for me today. 10pts G.Dott -2.5 frames to beat S.Davis 10/11 Sporting Odds Graeme Dott is playing some proper snooker here, snooker that isn't necessarily associated with him if we're honest but it's good stuff none the less. He's spanked both his opponents so far and has been knocking them in off the lampshades. He's made a few century breaks and seems to be enjoying himself, as is often the case in these longer frame tournaments. Davis is having another great run here but he's sneaked through to this stage rather than bulldosing his way here a la last year. He is going to have to step up his game massively from what we've seen to live with Dott here. That's definitely not beyond him but he must stay close early doors. If Dott gets off to a flyer he won't be caught. There's a bit of history between these 2 and a toilet! Dott accused Davis of taking too many toilet breaks. I'm sure that long since been forgotten in terms of friendliness between them but it's a motivational factor for them both. Either way, for me, Dott wins this with something in hand.

Re: UK Snooker Championship Stephen Hendry (+2 1/2 frames) to beat Ronnie O'Sullivan Evs Sporting Odds 5pts win A lot has been said about Stephen Hendry's form at the moment, but it is easy to forget he finished last season as the world number one. This season there have been two events - one being a best of five format that Stephen clearly hated. A tough match against Dave Harold in the first round here may have been just what he needed, and he showed some good form in taking out Mark Williams. Ronnie is Ronnie. Which one will turn up?? The one who demolished Stephen McGuire 9-3 and dominated the Premier League, or the player who was 7-8 and 50 points down to Ricky Walden in the first round here, and lucky to still be involved. There is a bit of history here, and in terms of focus and concentration - Stephen Hendry will not be lacking, as he WILL want to win this one badly. The best snooker player ever to gain 7 or more frames against the most naturally talented player ever. I think evens is a good bet.