** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

UK Snooker Championship

Re: UK Snooker Championship 2pts ew N.Robertson to win UK Championship 16/1 Bet365 Neil Robertson showed us he was in tremendous form when he strolled to the Grand Prix title in October. Here he is in easily the easiest quarter of the draw given that his fellow seeds in this quarter are the out of form Shaun Murphy, Steve Davis and the current but out of form World Champion, Graeme Dott. He can quite easily progress out of that quarter of the draw and if he does, he'll take some beating. 2pts ew S.Hendry to win UK Championship 25/1 Betdirect I never thought I'd live to see the day that the great Stephen Hendry was 25/1 for a snooker tournament, especially one of this size and stature. Ok he's not been in great form and had a nightmare Premier League but when his game is in good nick he's still the one to beat as his no1 ranking will tell you. He hasn't got the easiest section of the draw but that might just inspire him to bring out his good game and if Hendry plays well this price will be very big. 1pt ew J.Perry to win UK Championship 100/1 Bet365 Joe Perry has had a good start to the season. We all remember him thumping Doherty 5-0 in the Grand Prix before going down to Jamie Cope in the quarter final. He made the semi final here a few years ago so he doesn't mind mixing it over these longer matches and at this price he could well give us a very nice run.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UK Snooker Championship

Monday 4 December 2006
Player 1Player 2bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
Bingham v McLeod (10:00 GMT)1.363.65101%
Day v Song (10:00 GMT)1.284.50100%
Gray v Pinches (10:00 GMT)1.582.69101%
Gunnell v King (10:00 GMT)3.401.41101%
Parrott v Selby (10:00 GMT)5.001.25100%
Dunn v Wattana (14:30 GMT)2.351.73101%
Hamilton v Lawler (14:30 GMT)1.572.64102%
Harold v Milkins (14:30 GMT)2.371.72100%
Judge v Perry (14:30 GMT)2.621.59101%
2 for me. 10pts J.Perry to beat M.Judge 4/7 Stan James Joe Perry has been playing good snooker this season and is an underrated player over the longer form of the game. He made the semi finals here a few years ago and will quietly fancy his chances of another good run here based on his good form. Michael Judge is no fool. He can play the game as his appearance in a ranking event final would suggest. However over 17 frames here I think Perry will be too strong for him and I side with the Cambridgeshire man to prevail in this one. 10pts D.Harold to beat R.Milkins 5/4 Stan James Robert Milkins is a very inconsistant player and anytime he's up against a solid player who is no mug he is worth taking on. Dave Harold fits the bill perfectly. Harold is a steady player who knows his boundaries and rarely goes beyond them. He's an oldschool player who will make a 40 break and keep it tight which makes him tough to beat. Milkins can blow players away with his rocket like speed at the table but more often than not his rocket doesn't fire and he makes a swift exit. At odds against Dave Harold is a good price and one which I'm happy to take.

Re: UK Snooker Championship I'll translate my picks originally written for a Finnish forum... Lawler to beat Hamilton 2.50 Bet365 Hamilton has been performing badly for a while now including the start of this season and most part of last season. He is talented but I'm wondering if his mind is still in the game. Lawler hasn't been excellent either, but more consistent to his standards than Hamilton. To me odds >= 2.50 are worth trying for. Bingham to win 1. quarter 17.00 Stan James Bingham was one of the raising players at the start of the season in my papers, but he failed to meet the expectations. Recently however, he first qualified for the Malta Cup and then won Masters qualifier. The first quarter does include Junhui but no other big names (Stevens and Ebdon have been out of form). Last year Bingham played well and got into quarters.

EventPerry J. - Judge M.
SelectionJoe Perry to win
Strength10/10
Date04/12/2006
Bookmaker/PriceGamebookers @ 1.57 (Back)
ReasoningJoe Perry is on the 18th place on worlds rang list in snooker.In october he played 7 games and won 5 of them losing first and last one. On the another side Judge M played 5 games in october and lost all of themSo i think that he is not prepared in best way for this tournament and i see a nica chance that Perry will win here.Odds seems good.

EventAnthony Hamilton - Rod Lawler
SelectionAnthony Hamilton to win
Strength10/10
Date04/12/2006
Bookmaker/PriceUKBetting @ 1.53 (Back)
ReasoningAnthony Hamilton is on the 16th place in world ranking list with 23725 points.He is favourite here against Rod Lawer i think. Hamilton had a bad season.He lost all 5 games in october i think that he must return his performance here on this tournament.Lawer lost 8 of last 10 games wich played.In this battle between two out of form players i will take one wich is best ranked on this list coz i bolive in his expirience.

EventRobert Milkins - Dave Harold
SelectionRobert Milkins to win
Strength10/10
Date04/12/2006
Bookmaker/Price>BetFred @ 1.67 (Back)
ReasoningRobert Milkins won 5 of last 6 games wich played so i think that he is in top form for this tournement. Dave Harlod didnt played so mach in this year and had bad results.I think that Robert cna win this game very easy..
EventRyan Day - Liu Song
Selection-2.5:0 Ryan Day to win (Asian Handicap)
Strength10/10
Date04/12/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Paddy Power @ 1.73 (Back)
ReasoningRyan Day is ranked as 17th player on world ranking list.Liu Song is not in competetion between first 30 players. Ryan won 4 of 6 games wich played in last period so he showed good performance.I think that he can cover this handicap today over Song.

Anthony Hamilton is on the 16th place in world ranking list with 23725 points.He is favourite here against Rod Lawer i think. Hamilton had a bad season.He lost all 5 games in october i think that he must return his performance here on this tournament.Lawer lost 8 of last 10 games wich played.In this battle between two out of form players i will take one wich is best ranked on this list coz i bolive in his expirience.
Good points there also. On the provisional list Hamilton has dropped to 33 and Lawler has dropped a few places to 52. Anyway, there is a difference as you pointed out, it will be interesting to see how the match progresses. By the way, do you know good sites for snooker results and statistics. In particular it would be nice to have head to head history easily available, for example, to see how Hamilton has played against Lawler previously.

2 for me. 10pts J.Perry to beat M.Judge 4/7 Stan James Joe Perry has been playing good snooker this season and is an underrated player over the longer form of the game. He made the semi finals here a few years ago and will quietly fancy his chances of another good run here based on his good form. Michael Judge is no fool. He can play the game as his appearance in a ranking event final would suggest. However over 17 frames here I think Perry will be too strong for him and I side with the Cambridgeshire man to prevail in this one. 10pts D.Harold to beat R.Milkins 5/4 Stan James Robert Milkins is a very inconsistant player and anytime he's up against a solid player who is no mug he is worth taking on. Dave Harold fits the bill perfectly. Harold is a steady player who knows his boundaries and rarely goes beyond them. He's an oldschool player who will make a 40 break and keep it tight which makes him tough to beat. Milkins can blow players away with his rocket like speed at the table but more often than not his rocket doesn't fire and he makes a swift exit. At odds against Dave Harold is a good price and one which I'm happy to take.
Perry leads 7-1 at half time and Harold leads 5-3. Looking good so far. :hope they both hold on :ok

Re: UK Snooker Championship A few games could go either way today. 1 that I'm confident with though is this one. 10pts I.McCulloch to beat R.Walden 1.86 Betfair Ian McCulloch is a very good snooker player. He can mix it in the safety department and he's a very heavy scorer. He's been unlucky in his career because even last season when he was in the top 16 he had to qualify for tournaments because Murphy got automatic entry into every event. Ricky Walden has had some good results in his career, including beating John Higgins here but his career hasn't pushed on anywhere near as much as it should have by now and he's still dwindling with his ranking far lower than it should be. Ian McCulloch is experienced over these longer matches thanks to his run to the World semis in 2005 and with that experience and better all round game I'm siding with the Preston potter to win here.

Re: UK Snooker Championship Hull to beat Bond 2.10 William Hill (and others) I'm betting for a friend here which might be dangerous, but Robin has always played well in best of 17 or more matches. He also has a good record in beating these older stars. Nigel Bond is a slight favourite, he has played some good snooker in recent years. However, odds more than 2.00 for Robin are good enough for me.

Perry leads 7-1 at half time and Harold leads 5-3. Looking good so far. :hope they both hold on :ok
Good picks both, I'm very surprised that Perry was so strong. Lawler leads Hamilton 4 - 2, which means that there is a nice sure win available since the odds are now turned around (the same holds for Harold vs Milkins). If in doubt, take it. The match has been a battle of two out-of-form players, it's very difficult to predict what happens today when the match continues.

EventIan McCulloch - Ricky Walden
SelectionIan McCulloch to win
Strength10/10
Date05/12/2006
Bookmaker/PriceBetdaq @ 1.80 (Back)
ReasoningHere we are very equal game with almost equal odds but i will give chance here to Ian McCulloch wich is on the 26th place in world ranking lists.In october Ian played 5 games and won 4 of them.On the another side Ricky is placed on the 36th place in the same lists.He didnt had a good results in last period. I will coise here Ian McCulloch wich have biger chance to win here and odds are 1.80 what is engough

EventJoe Swail - Joe Delaney
SelectionJoe Swail to win
Strength10/10
Date05/12/2006
Bookmaker/PriceUKBetting @ 1.36 (Back)
ReasoningThis seems maybe as best bet on todays round. Joe Swall is on the 30th place at this momoent in world ranking lists.He won 3 of 5 games in october when played.He can do it mach better and i think that we can see high performance here against Joe Delaney. Joe Delaney is on the 63th place on the same ranking lists,so it means that this two players are two diferent class.I was thinking to take Swail with -2.5 but it is too mach i think so i will just take Joe Swail to win here

EventAlan McManus - Marcus Campbell
SelectionAlan McManus to win
Strength10/10
Date05/12/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.46 (Back)
ReasoningThis is really must take bet. Alan McManus is on the 19th place and Marcus Campbell is on the 48th place. Alan have great results this season.He played 6 games in october and won 4 of them.Also he won over Higgins and Selby.So he showed that he is in form and great player.I dont know mach about Campbell but i think that Alan have biger chance to win here then the odds shows that

EventNigel Bond - Robin Hull
SelectionNigel Bond to win
Strength10/10
Date05/12/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 1.81 (Back)
ReasoningThis is also on of the equal todays games but i will take more expirience Nigel to win here.He is on the 20th place in the world ranking lists at this moment.Robin Hull is on the 50th place.Difference is very big. But both players didnt have great performance in last period.Nigel won just 2 games in october in 5 games wich played.Robin won 3 of 5. This time i expect a higher performance of Nigel here and i will give a chance to him to win here

Re: UK Snooker Championship Thanks for the ideas. Don´t know yet what i will choice... But a Swail, McManus and McCulloch win @ 3,45 Unibet looks good. How long is a 17 frames game? Will the matches be finished today? I´m knew at the snooker game so i´m sorry if the question is stuppid... =)

Re: UK Snooker Championship John Higgins to win UK Championship Outright @ 7.0 (Bet365) 5 pts win Looking at the draw, Higgins has a relatively mild quarter - with Stephen Lee and then Doherty/Hawkins in the quarter final looking likely. Doherty would be a worry, seeing as he is provisionally world number one, but after the 5-0 defeat to Joe Perry in the Grand Prix - he might lack some confidence. With Ronnie O'Sullivan and Neil Robertson in the other half of the draw, if Higgins performs to his capabilities - he is easily capable of making the final (Ding (jetlagged??), Ebdon, Stevens probable SF opponents). I am always amazed that John Higgins is twice the price of Ronnie for any event - as I believe that an on form Higgins is virtually unbeatable - with some of the best performances of the last two years coming from Higgins. Stephen Maguire to win UK Championship Outright @ 28/1 (Sporting Odds) 2 pts EW Maguire came to the fore two years ago at this event, so it must hold some good memories for him. Unfortunately, the draw hasn't been kind, with a probable last 16 meeting with Ronnie O'Sullivan. the last time they met over a longer distance was at the 2005 World Championships, where Maguire let slip a good lead, and Ronnie pipped him 10-9. If you are going to play Ronnie, you want to play him early - and if Maguire can win this match (presuming of course, that Ronnie gets through to this match) - it might give him the impetus to have another run at the UK. A speculative punt.

I am always amazed that John Higgins is twice the price of Ronnie for any event - as I believe that an on form Higgins is virtually unbeatable - with some of the best performances of the last two years coming from Higgins.
This has to do with the fact that Ronnie is a crowds favourite and they will bet on him no matter what the odds are. Bookmakers have to push Ronnie's odds very low for risk management, obviously they want the bets evenly distributed. I can't think of any other explanation. And yes, it's true that on form Higgings is unbeatable, to me he's the only player who can beat on form O'Sullivan. I recently read an interesting article about the opening far east betting markets. When the chinese start hammering their bets, odds for favourites will get pushed even lower. According to the writer this is due to the general mentality over there, people want to go with the 'winners' rather than look for potential underdogs.

Re: UK Snooker Championship The problem with Ronnie is that he is very hard to gamble on. You never know if he is "enjoying the game" - "hating the game" - "taking a season off to play pool" - or whatever else is going on in his head. If you knew he had his "snooker" head on, he might be backable - and after the Premier League win, you might think he probably has - but I'm not willing to put money on it.

Re: UK Snooker Championship Harold and Perry both won, McCulloch lost though. 8.2pts up for the tournament so far. Just 1 for Wednesday in what looks like a tricky day. 10pts M.Selby to beat P.Ebdon Evs William Hill Mark Selby breezed past John Parrott 9-1 in the 1st round and from 3-1 he played flawless snooker. He's a very talented all round snooker player who has achieved a fair bit in his career already. He's already reached a ranking event final so the big stage doesn't bother him. He could well be getting Ebbo at a good time here as Ebdon wouldn't have played a competitive match for a while. Ebdon is a gritty, determined, very tough to beat player but this is a 1st round match he'd rather have avoided. Surprisingly, Ebdon's record in this tournament is not the greatest and to be honest I can't see it getting better here as he'll be on his way back to Dubai by the weekend.

EventPetter Ebdon - M. Selby
SelectionM. Selby to win
Strength10/10
Date06/12/2006
Bookmaker/PriceBetandWin @ 1.95 (Back)
ReasoningMark Selby showed great performance in first round winning 9-1 over John Parrot.I think that he will continue great here against Peter Ebdon wich didnt had so great results in last period so putting him as favourite here is wrong i tthink.

Re: UK Snooker Championship Good start for me also, Lawler and Hull both won their matches. Today really is a marginal day, I think I will follow you on Ebdon vs Selby. Another small bet goes to Burnett beating Davis (2.05 Unibet), although Davis performed here well last year. Burnett didn't play badly either last year, and has already won three matches this year.

Wednesday 6 December 2006
Player 1Player 2bookmakers margin on the event. However, they do not take account of commissions that may be charged." align="middle">sp.gifBPP
Ebdon v Selby (10:00 GMT)2.002.00100%
Hawkins v Perry (10:00 GMT)1.952.1099%
Bingham v Carter (10:05 GMT)2.002.00100%
Gray v Stevens (10:05 GMT)3.251.44100%
Holt v Mackenzie (10:05 GMT)1.443.00103%
Burnett v Davis (14:30 GMT)2.251.8399%
Lawler v Lee (14:30 GMT)3.501.36102%
O'Sullivan v Walden (14:30 GMT)1.185.50103%
Williams v Greene (14:35 GMT)1.343.75102%
Maguire v Swail (22:30 GMT)1.532.75102%
Thursday 7 December 2006
Higgins v King (10:00 GMT)1.304.00102%
Hull v Robertson (10:00 GMT)3.751.36100%
McManus v Murphy (10:00 GMT)3.201.44101%

SportSnooker/Pool
EventUK Snooker
SelectionDavid Gray to beat Stevens
Strength10/10
Date06/12/2006
Bookmaker/Price>BetFred @ 3.00 (Back)
ReasoningI seem to remember last time Gray played Stevens he was 3.25 and beat him, it's way overpriced! Stevens, despite liking the longer distance tournaments (so does Gray by the way) and being a former winner, is way too inconsistent to be backed at this price. Gray, a former runner up here, beat Pinches 9-2 in the previous round and that shows he's in good form. I have to back Gray at this price.