** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Australian A League Round 10 Washup & Stats

Weekend Wrap

Melbourne Victory has equalled the biggest lead at the top of the competition table, matching Adelaide United’s record of 11 points set last year in Rounds 18 & 19 of last season. Victory made it nine wins from ten games, with a relatively comfortable 4-0 win in Auckland, while second placed Adelaide, was beaten in the dying minutes by a Nick Carle wonder goal to make it three straight wins for Newcastle. Queensland were held to a 1-1 draw by Central Coast, while Sydney FC again failed to capitalise on taking the lead and was held also to a 1-1 by Perth Glory. Results New Zealand Knights 0 lost MELBOURNE VICTORY 4 NEWCASTLE JETS 2 bt Adelaide United 1 Queensland Roar 1 drew Central Coast Mariners 1 Sydney FC 1 drew Perth Glory 1 Game Wraps

NZ Knights vs Melbourne Victory A three-goal second half by runaway leaders Melbourne Victory secured a comfortable 4-0 win over rock-bottom New Zealand Knights. After a bright beginning by the hosts, Melbourne then took the lead through the outstanding Brazilian Fred, who headed home after a well-worked short corner. The match remained in the balance, until 12 minutes into the second half, when Daniel Allsopp forced a turnover near the Knights penalty area, the ball eventually played to Archie Thompson, who slammed home his shot. Two minutes later Adrian Caceres made it 3-0 and Allsopp made it 4-0, which took him to the top of the goalscoring charts alongside his captain Kevin Muscat on six goals. Melbourne is now 11 points clear at the top of the table, while New Zealand is now languishing seven points behind 7th placed Perth Glory.

Newcastle Jets Vs Adelaide Nick Carle scored a dramatic late winner with arguably the best goal ever scored in the short history of the Hyundai A-League to give Newcastle its third win in succession and put them on the edge of the four. In a dramatic final ten minutes, Adelaide’s Carl Veart failed to convert a penalty that would have given them the lead, after Jade North was sent off for denying a goal with his hands. That proved a good decision on North’s part, as Veart missed and then Carle made Adelaide pay, when he raced some 60 metres down the field unchallenged and then audaciously hit his shot from the edge of the area with the outside of his left foot, which gave Robert Bajic no chance. Newcastle dominated the first half and deservedly went ahead when Vaughan Coveny scored, but Adelaide were able to draw level when they were awarded a penalty after Paul Okon held back Shengqing Qu. Veart made no mistake with his two attempts, after the first was ruled away because of encroachment by Adelaide.

Queensland Roar vs Central Coast Mariners Central Coast’s revival continued when they held Queensland Roar to a 1-1 draw at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane. Queensland in theory should have won this game, dominating possession and the chances to win several games. It was Central Coast who took the lead, using his strength to hold off Josh McCloughan in the penalty area and slide his shot inside the far post. Queensland hit back shortly after the break when Reinaldo headed home a corner and proceeded to create the opportunities for a winner, but were unable to convert. Sydney FC Vs Perth Glory Sydney FC endured another miserable second half performance, letting another lead slip away as they were held by Perth Glory 1-1. Again Sydney started off promisingly enough and duly went ahead when David Zdrilic headed home a Saso Petrovski cross after 15 minutes. Further chances to increase the lead were squandered by the home side and had Clint Bolton to thank for keeping their lead just before the break. Perth thought they had equalised shortly after half time when Bobby Despotovski scored, but was ruled away for offside. Sydney again had chances to put the game out of Perth’s reach, but were made to pay wasting those, when Under 23 striker Luka Glavas pounced on a Despotovski pass to level it for Perth with 15 to go. Highlights Nick Carle’s goal was a gem and to the football fans of Newcastle, who turned out and saw one of the best finishes to an Hyundai A-League game this season and created an electric atmosphere to boot. Goal of the Week Not much doubt about this week’s Goal of the Week, not just because of the effort and execution, but also the timing and circumstances with which it was scored. Down to ten-men and having witnessed a penalty miss by Adelaide two minutes earlier, Nick Carle won a hard ball just outside his own penalty area. Picking up the loose ball, Carle steamed forward down the middle of the ground and with the defenders backing off, Carle seized his moment perfectly, hitting the ball with the outside of his left foot past Bajic and inside the left post. It was a world class goal worthy of any stage; it was the match winner and had the near 11,000 Newcastle fans in a frenzy in the terraces. Player of the Week Archie Thompson was at his mercurial best on Friday night, but Nick Carle’s effort for Newcastle was outstanding and not just because of his extraordinary goal at the death to give his side victory. He orchestrated Newcastle’s complete domination of the match in the first half and every time he got the ball there was always the anticipation that something was going to happen. It doesn’t always come off, but the fact he tries things that many others would never contemplate or can’t do, makes him the most exciting player in the league on his day. One to Watch In pre-season of the inaugural season, Nik Mrdja was the form player and one of the players to watch out for. But it went horribly wrong in the pre-season final, picking up a knee injury, which has plagued him for the last 15 months. On Saturday night, Mrdja made his comeback, playing 20 minutes in Central Coast draw with Queensland. He didn’t do a lot and looked a couple of steps behind at times, but as his match fitness and sharpness improves, he could rove the catalyst for the Mariners bid for a top four spot in the last half of the season.

Re: Australian A League Round 10 Washup & Stats Australian A League Ladder after Round 10

Team

P

W

D

L

GF

GA

GD

Pts

YC

RC

Melbourne Victory

Queensland Roar

Adelaide United

Sydney

Central Coast Mariners

Newcastle Jets

Perth Glory

New Zealand Knights

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap Melbourne Victory – Only lost one game and 11 points clear and going from strength to strength

:clap:clap Queensland Roar - Plenty of shots being had but not converting, need Simon Lynch back

:clap:clap Adelaide United – Disappointing on the weekend but they should bounce back when players return

:spank Sydney – Last seasons Premiers and have only won three games this season, need to improve.

:cheers Central Coast Mariners – Poor start to season but slowly gaining some momentum

:drums Newcastle Jets – Lost first 7 then won next 3 and playing solid football and just outside the four now

:) Perth Glory – Competitive side who always give their very best with whoever they have on the park

:zzzNew Zealand Knights – Just not good enough for the A League, but will pull out the odd good game

Re: Australian A League Round 10 Washup & Stats

HOME LADDER

Team

P

W

D

L

GF

GA

GD

Pts

Adelaide United

Melbourne Victory

Queensland Roar

Central Coast Mariners

Perth Glory

Sydney

Newcastle Jets

New Zealand Knights

AWAY LADDER

Team

P

W

D

L

GF

GA

GD

Pts

Melbourne Victory

Queensland Roar

Sydney

Newcastle Jets

Adelaide United

Perth Glory

Central Coast Mariners

New Zealand Knights

Re: Australian A League Round 10 Washup & Stats Stats to be gleaned from Home and Away tables Melbourne Seem to play better away with a massive 11 goal difference away from home and have only conceded two goals in their travels. Top effort that and they are also very good at home, the all round package are the Victory. Can back them to win at home or away, but probably better to back them away from home. Bet Home: ALWAYS Bet Away: ALWAYS

Queensland Goal difference of +7 at home and -1 away means the Roar score more goals at home than away. They have also conceded only 2 goals at home in five games, whereas they have conceded 8 goals away from home and have a negative goal difference on the road. This suggests the Roar are a better bet at home than when on the road. Bet Home: YES BUT PERFORM BETTER AGAINST LESSER TEAMS Bet Away: RISKY AS THEY CONCEDE MORE THAN THEY SCORE

Adelaide Score twice as many goals at home than they concede, and they score 8 times as many goals at home than they do away. Adelaide have scored 16 goals at home and a paltry 2 away from home which suggest they are a solid bet at home but to be wary of them away from home as they struggle to score, as can be evidenced by their weekend loss to the Jets when away from home. Bet Home: ALWAYS Bet Away: NOT WHILE THEY ONLY SCORE 1 GOAL EVERY 5 GAMES

Sydney Sydney are a strange team this season and that may be a result of a long term injury to Carney as he is sorely missed in their side, Sydney have only won the one game at home and that is a damning stat as they have only one 2 games away, and have a total goal difference of +1 which shows they are conceding too many goals for a club of their ability. I would suggest not backing Sydney until they start sowing some consistency and a little bit of heart wouldn’t hurt either. Bet Home: MAYBE IF THEY SHOW SOME HEART Bet Away: NOT UNTIL THEY SHOW SOME HEART

CC Mariners Mariners a re clearly a better side at home where they score twice as many as they concede, whereas on the road they concede more than double than they score. They have a +3 goal difference at home and a -5 goal difference away, which suggests they should only be backed when playing at home. Bet Home: YES WITH CONFIDENCE EITHER THE WIN OR THE DRAW Bet Away: NOT A GOOD BETTING CONVEYANCE AWAY FROM HOME

Perth Glory Clearly a better side at home with seven points and a positive goal difference, while away they only have 4 points and a negative goal difference. Another team that is better to be backed at home than away. Bet Home: YES ESPECIALLY SUNDAY AFTERNOON GAME Bet Away: DRAW ONLY IS BEST YOU WOULD HOPE FOR AWAY FROM HOME

Newcastle Jets After a poor start defensively where they conceded 16 goals in 7 games the Jets have started to play some pretty good football and are currently sitting -2 goal difference at home and -3 away, and they have scored 6 points both at home and away, so can be backed at home or away with confidence when they are in the mood and conditions suit. Bet Home: YES AT THE MOMENT AS THEY ARE ON FIRE Bet Away: YES AT THE MOMENT AS THEY ARE ON FIRE

NZ Knights The Knights too are clearly better at home than they are away and they are not much chop at home to be honest. They get their 4 home points in the first 2 rounds of the season when playing consecutive games at home, but since then they have become a team of easybeats. Bet Home: ONLY PLACE YOU WOULD BACK THEM, BUT NOT EVEN THEN Bet Away: NEVER BET THEM AWAY FROM HOME, BET THEIR OPPONENTS

Re: Australian A League Round 10 Washup & Stats Hey hear the latest rumour of a BIG name coming to the A-League. Gianfranco Zola may be headed to either Melbourne Victory or Perth Glory, but it looks more likely to be to the latter. Will be incredible if he comes down under as he is actually my favourite player of all time. An absolute superstar :nana

Re: Australian A League Round 10 Washup & Stats Upcoming games for next week

Round11

Friday 3 Nov 2006

Melbourne Victory

Vs

Central Coast Mariners

8.00 PM

Telstra Dome

Saturday 4 Nov 2006

Newcastle Jets

Vs

Sydney

7.00 PM

EnergyAustralia St

Sunday 5 Nov 2006

Adelaide United

Vs

Perth Glory

4.30 PM

Hindmarsh St

New Zealand Knights

Vs

Queensland Roar

5.00 PM

North Harbour St

Hey hear the latest rumour of a BIG name coming to the A-League. Gianfranco Zola may be headed to either Melbourne Victory or Perth Glory, but it looks more likely to be to the latter. Will be incredible if he comes down under as he is actually my favourite player of all time. An absolute superstar :nana
Is he coming as a marquee player or a Senior Citizen Ads? :ok Perth already have Stan Lazaridis as their Marquee player that's why they couldn't get Duncan Ferguson. Melbourne do not need him as they are strong enough now and almost unbeatable and will kill the A League if they become like Chelsea in the Premier League. The EPL is dominated by the same 3 teams every year and I don't find it interesting any more. You know Chelsea is going to win the title and Man Utd and Arsenal will be snapping at their heels, and Liverpool will be hard done by again after promising so much. It's the same scenario for the past few years and they need a Salary Cap to even things up a bit. Be good if Zola gets here though.

Re: Australian A League Round 10 Washup & Stats Hey do you reckon Harry Kewell will play out the latter stages of his career in the A League like Stan Lazaridis has? The A League could benefit by Kewell playing a season here when he finishes in England. A season for him is only about 3 or 4 games cos he is always out for one reason or another, and that would get bums on seats for those 3 or 4 games :rollin

Re: Australian A League Round 10 Washup & Stats Game scores for each Team

Team

0-0

1-0

1-1

0-1

2-0

2-1

2-2

1-2

0-2

3-0

3-1

3-2

3-3

2-3

1-3

0-3

Other

Melbourne V

Adelaide

Queensland

Sydney

CC Mariners

Perth Glory

Newcastle

NZ Knights

Hey hear the latest rumour of a BIG name coming to the A-League. Gianfranco Zola may be headed to either Melbourne Victory or Perth Glory, but it looks more likely to be to the latter. Will be incredible if he comes down under as he is actually my favourite player of all time. An absolute superstar :nana
Hey thats F awesome !!!! :loon:loon:loon I loved that guy too, Fallen in love with Chelsea because of him :ok

Re: Australian A League Round 10 Washup & Stats Early thoughts for Round 11 Melbourne VS CC Mariners

Anothe home game at telsra Dome for the all conquering Vistory and they should be too strong but I wouldn't take the Mariners too lightly. CCM not too good away from home and another Melbourne win for mine

Jets Vs Sydney The Jets are playing with great belief and they should have beaten Adelaide 6-3 on the weekend and i believe they are playing well enough to knock this heartless Sydney side off. The Sydney Rugby and Aussie Rules teams play with grit and toughness, but not this mob. Sydney are going to be under the odds making the Jets over the odds and big chance for an upset.

Adelaide Vs Perth Adelaide are very good at home and Perth are fair to average away and would expect Adelaide with Burns and Costanzo back to be too good here. they would want to show a bit more than they did against the Jets though.

Knights vs Queensland If Queensland can convert the many chances they are going to get at scoring here then they should win this game quite easily. The Knights are due to put in a good one sooner or later though, could this be it???

What's the standard of football like in this league guys? I'm in Australia from Xmas for a few months, might check out one of the elimination matches whilst out there :tongue2
Where abouts are you going be Jeffers and can advise the best game to go to? I believe the standard is very good considering what it used to be. I would be interested to hear your thoughts if you see a game. I couldn't have sat through watching an Aussie soccer match a while ago but I have seen nearly every A League match this season in full and quite enjoy them. So much so that I havn't even watched a full Premier League game yet and we get about 4 games a week live :ok

Hey thats F awesome !!!! :loon:loon:loon I loved that guy too' date=' Fallen in love with Chelsea because of him :ok[/quote'] Same man, he was a big reason why im such a big Chelsea fan now. Bout 8 or 9 years ago i loved him. Absolute legend, if he comes to Australia i will be the first at the gate to see him play. He has actually been playing in Italy for a while now and is still as fit as ever at the age of 40. If he comes to the A-League is will be as a guest player im told. Kind of like Damien Mori or Benitto Carbone. Would certainly raise the profile of the A-League and get more people to the games, would actually be incredible. Did you check out that video link i posted Uncoabis? I remember when that goal happened, doubt you can find a more skillfull goal ever if you tried

What's the standard of football like in this league guys? I'm in Australia from Xmas for a few months, might check out one of the elimination matches whilst out there :tongue2
Australian domestic football has been poor quality for alot of years, but last season they started from scratch with the A-League. This is the second season of the new A-League and the quality of football is incredible compared to what it used to be. Ive been to all Melbournes home games and the crowds have been terrific in each one, they actually attract more people to games than what alot of English Premier League clubs do. Also their are alot of high profiled names in the league also which make it appealing. Do yourself a favour and go to a game while your here, it would be worth your while in my opinion

Same man, he was a big reason why im such a big Chelsea fan now. Bout 8 or 9 years ago i loved him. Absolute legend, if he comes to Australia i will be the first at the gate to see him play. He has actually been playing in Italy for a while now and is still as fit as ever at the age of 40. If he comes to the A-League is will be as a guest player im told. Kind of like Damien Mori or Benitto Carbone. Would certainly raise the profile of the A-League and get more people to the games, would actually be incredible. Did you check out that video link i posted Uncoabis? I remember when that goal happened, doubt you can find a more skillfull goal ever if you tried
Yeah, that was classic :ok I loved his agility man and his skills and his in-game smartness too !

Yeah' date=' that was classic :ok I loved his agility man and his skills and his in-game smartness too ![/quote'] Or his spot kicks, or the way he could get around anyone, or the way he could curve it... Superstar

I'm staying in Melbourne initially then making my way up to Sydney and onwards up the east coast :ok
Well let us know closer to the trip Jeffers and perhaps Ads and myself can show you around Melbourne a bit and take you to a Melbourne game. If you can provide some dates that you will be here then i can work out who is playing who and where. Hopefully there will be a game on in town while you are here. Cheers

Re: Australian A League Round 10 Washup & Stats Bid for former Chelsea striker excites Lazaridis 28th October 2006, 10:30 WST Stan Lazaridis knows only too well how Perth Glory target Gianfranco Zola can stamp his authority on a match. The Glory winger remembers well his English Premier League encounters with the former Chelsea striker. “I remember playing against him. I remember him scoring,” Lazaridis said yesterday. In fact, the diminutive Italian scored on both occasions in the 2002-03 season when Chelsea beat a Birmingham City side featuring Glory’s former Socceroo. Lazaridis, though, was on the winning side when West Ham prevailed against Zola’s Chelsea in a 1998 match. “He’s a pocket rocket, so muscular and strong,” Lazaridis said of the 40-year-old. “He’s got a low centre of gravity and the guy turns on a 10 cent piece. “He scores goals and creates goals. And he was very well liked wherever he went.” As far as endorsements go, there could hardly be any better, but Lazaridis knows there is still work to be done before a Zola deal is signed, sealed and delivered. “The club have to look at the financial side of things and do what’s best for Perth Glory,” he said. “But someone like Zola comes with a great reputation. “I’ve never heard a bad thing about him. “And I think the guy will be playing until he’s 50 because he’s one of these superfit guys.” Glory coach Ron Smith said attempts to sign Zola for a guest stint in December-January had been stepped up. “It’s in the works now,” Smith said. “I’ve expressed my interest and basically it’s got to go through the management process of looking at budgets and that sort of thing.” Melbourne Victory, who consolidated top spot on the table with a 4-0 thumping of New Zealand Knights at North Harbour Stadium in Auckland yesterday, and clubs in Asia are also believed to have expressed an interest in Zola as a short-term guest player. Perth Glory’s bid to sign Zola has to be approved by governing body Football Federation Australia, which also holds Glory’s A-League licence.

Re: Australian A League Round 10 Washup & Stats CARBONE MULLS RETURN

Italian striker Benito Carbone has expressed his desire to return to Australia and help the struggling Sydney FC and stated he feels 'strongly' for the club he played three games for as a guest. Carbone, who is currently in Calabria, threw his support behind embattled coach Terry Butcher and said he would return to the club to help it get through its difficult period with personal financial gain a non-influencing element. "I know the club is in trouble and the coach is under a lot of pressure," Carbone told the Daily Telegraph. "I want to do my part to help take the pressure off him and put the club back where they belong at the top in Australia.

"This is not about money for me. I feel strongly about this club, even though I played only three games as a guest. I feel strongly for Terry Butcher." Carbone impressed in his three matches against Central Coast, Queensland and Adelaide in October, and scored twice, as well as acting as the main attacking avenue for the champions, who lost marquee signing Dwight Yorke early in the season. And Carbone isn't the only Italian veteran keen to link up with Sydney with legendary former Chelsea, Napoli, Parma and Cagliari striker Gianfranco Zola reported to be considering coming out of retirement to play for Butcher's men. Meanwhile, Sydney FC chairman Edmund Capon said Butcher was clearly supported by the club's fans but offered no guarantee for his future. "He is our contracted coach and I believe the supporters are behind him. I spent time on the Cove (on Sunday) and the mood was not against Terry. They want us to stick with him," he said.

Re: Australian A League Round 10 Washup & Stats Sydney given Bingley boost

Sydney FC's fortunes have taken a turn for the better with Matthew Bingley agreeing to a further two-week extension to his contract with the club. A raft of player injuries have made it tough for coach Terry Butcher, and Bingley will now stay on until David Carney returns from a shoulder injury. Initially drafted into the squad as cover for Robbie Middleby, who also suffered a shoulder injury, Bingley remains with the club for another fortnight, and ensures the club has 13 players available for Saturday's clash with in-form Newcastle. "I'm happy to be given another two weeks," Bingley said. "There is obviously a shortage and I am happy to help out where I can." Sydney is currently fourth on the table, just one point clear of the Jets, who have won three matches in a row since Gary van Egmond took over as coach. Sydney's list of casualties at the moment reads Steve Corica (hamstring), Mark Milligan, David Carney (shoulder), Terry McFlynn (hamstring) and Jacob Timpano (groin), while Mark Rudan is out suspended following his fourth yellow card.