** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

What Do I do? :(

sensibleboy

Ok, The past week I have had the most awful luck. I play on Party Poker and the bad beats ive been getting, well I aint even gonna start. Put it this way. I built my bank of $50 upto $2000 in 1 month. Now im back down to $1000. I play in sit and go single table tourneys, around $55 and $77. I just have zero confidence at the moment and dont know what to do. I was thinking of taking a break and coming back next week, is this the best idea when your on a run like this? :sad

Re: What Do I do? :( It sounds like you need some kind of a staking plan ...... if you are a winning player overall, then it will see you through your lean spells.... I think conventional wisdom on STTs is to play for a maximum of about 5% of your bankroll (20 buy ins) however that in my view is very low and if you wish to be ultra cautious then I would say never risk more than 1% of your bankroll on a single buy in - if you go through a bad spell, you will be ok (which is normal AND good - its this variance in poker that keep the fish coming back). If you lose your bankroll whilst doing this, then I'm afraid that means you aren't good enough to play at the level you are playing and need to seriously look at yourself and your own game..... Whilst applying to cash games and not STT's the principles are sound - I'd say listen to the Chris Jesus Fergusson podcast on Bankroll Management- as he stresses - you HAVE to be disciplined to cut back on your buy in if your bankroll doesn't support it - he was, and if a pro can admit that he sometimes needs to play at a lower level, then I think we should be able to too :ok

Re: What Do I do? :( I have lost and won many times at party poker. It is all about the tables you are playing at. I find at party poker there are a lot of all-in peoples that will try your patients and the prob is that when you are holding the winning and have not seen a flop you tend to fold . try if you have connectors or pocket pairs to at least see the flop. If you have an aggresive player at the table simply leave as you will end up in the losing end of the deal cause they are playing loose and most of the time get really lucky Leslie

Re: What Do I do? :( your BR cannot support the swings in variance you get playing STT's - I would advise at least 50 buy-ins, preferably closer to 100 - so you need to be playing the $11's and $22's, not the ones you are playing Just my personal opinion Damo

Ok, The past week I have had the most awful luck. I play on Party Poker and the bad beats ive been getting, well I aint even gonna start. Put it this way. I built my bank of $50 upto $2000 in 1 month. Now im back down to $1000. I play in sit and go single table tourneys, around $55 and $77. I just have zero confidence at the moment and dont know what to do. I was thinking of taking a break and coming back next week, is this the best idea when your on a run like this? :sad

Re: What Do I do? :( 100% agree with Damo here. If your 'roll is going down, so should the level of your buy-in. Also, take some of that $1000 and treat yourself, so that you will feel better anout your winnings, and have something for your success (I bought a PC with a lot of my 'roll at the start of the year. It means I'm still playing low level games, but every time I power up its on a PC paid for by someone else. :D I'd also suggest scaling back on the amount of poker played. I restrict myself to a '3 and out' rule which means when I lose 3 STT's thats it for the night (I think that is Damo's as well). :ok

Re: What Do I do? :( yes goals and targets are very good - set them and stick to them even if it means the computer gets turned off after 5 mins very tricky to do (initially) but it has helped me as I have developed a more 'professional' attitude to the way I play - which means it is less 'fun' but more rewarding Damo

100% agree with Damo here. If your 'roll is going down, so should the level of your buy-in. Also, take some of that $1000 and treat yourself, so that you will feel better anout your winnings, and have something for your success (I bought a PC with a lot of my 'roll at the start of the year. It means I'm still playing low level games, but every time I power up its on a PC paid for by womeone else. :D I'd also suggest scaling back on the amount of poker played. I restrict myself to a '3 and out' rule which means when I lose 3 STT's thats it for the night (I think that is Damo's as well). :ok

Re: What Do I do? :(

Also, take some of that $1000 and treat yourself, so that you will feel better anout your winnings, and have something for your success (I bought a PC with a lot of my 'roll at the start of the year. It means I'm still playing low level games, but every time I power up its on a PC paid for by someone else. :D
And here is said computer bought with Mr V's winnings :ok Kb2qBLsuhdw.jpg Football Tipper :lol

Re: What Do I do? :( AQ vs KJ is not that much of a fav and QQ vs 78 - were you short stacked? did you shove and he call on his blind with a big stack? or was he short stacked and shoved and you call? posting hand histories are better than just saying 'his 78 beat my QQ' - if you shove for only another 2 Blinds and he has 50 blinds in total of course he is calling with any 2 (see my point?) 'bad beats' happen - thats why in the long run the fish lose and the sharks win, coz the fish keep coming back hoping to inflict the bad beat - so long may they continue! so I wouldn't close an account because of a bad run - its called variance and will happen LOADS of times during your poker career, you must get used to it otherwise it will drive you nuts!:ok Damo

Down to $600 now. Im leaving party poker once and for all, the most dodgiest poker site about. In a big tourney tonight and all in with AQ against JK. JK wins, then later my QQ gets beat by 78, its not even a surprise any more, a laughing stock. Sick of poker at the moment, just cant win.