A tight spot with Anna Kournikova

PokerBarney

PokerStars Game #5664072897: Tournament #28657046, $1.00+$0.20 Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (100/200) - 2006/07/24 - 07:05:46 (ET) Table '28657046 2' 9-max Seat #9 is the button Seat 1: dewy5 (4545 in chips) Seat 3: buckey7 (590 in chips) Seat 4: lrob09 (40 in chips) is sitting out Seat 5: MFAH28 (6230 in chips) Seat 6: PokerBarney2 (3930 in chips) Seat 7: sunkka (6550 in chips) Seat 8: Knie_nieder (2645 in chips) Seat 9: bigTRei (2010 in chips) dewy5: posts the ante 25 buckey7: posts the ante 25 lrob09: posts the ante 25 MFAH28: posts the ante 25 PokerBarney2: posts the ante 25 sunkka: posts the ante 25 Knie_nieder: posts the ante 25 bigTRei: posts the ante 25 dewy5: posts small blind 100 buckey7: posts big blind 200 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to PokerBarney2 [Ks Ah] lrob09: folds MFAH28: folds PokerBarney2: raises 400 to 600 sunkka: raises 900 to 1500 Knie_nieder: folds bigTRei: folds dewy5: folds buckey7: folds PokerBarney2: ??? Now what?! I've seen this guy do this once before, and the original raiser backed down.

Re: A tight spot with Anna Kournikova

chewie jsut quickly A....nna K....ournikova you're very wrong i'm afraid :)
Yep :ok ......... i never use any of these terms, but i remember Anna Kournikova was AK .......................... looks good but wins nothing :lol :lol :lol AK is also Big Slick. ................. and there are god knows how many other terms, made up by people with too much free time.

Just a mute point.... Anna Kournikova is KQo not AK ("Bigus Slickus") even with the acroynym connotations ... KQo is Anna Kournikova from the "looks real pretty but plays like sh*t !!!"
Nah mate. Anna Kournikova Looks pretty but doesn't win much

Anyway... I decided I had no fold equity in this spot. So I called. Flop Q32 rainbow. Since I'm first to act... Hero??
Your boned By my best guess the money is thus Pot: 3500 You: 2405 Him: 5025 If you make your biggest possible bet which is all in I think he is compelled to call. Hes getting nearly 5/2 at a risk to half his stack. Unless he was on the make before the flop I dont see what hand he could be making that kind of a reraise with that wouldnt like that flop. He might reraise with AJ if he's a tool I dont know. Doesnt seem likely. Thats about the best you could hope for. AQ QQ KK and AA will love it. Maybe he has Jacks and if you push he might fear the queen, and figuring to be 8-10% he might let it go. Trouble is cos he has has you comfortably covered he may even call with jacks because your bluff probability in this spot is so high. I might be inclinded to check. Let him dictate the action. Maybe he lets you peel of a card for free. Not to that you even know what you want to hit. Ace against AQ? King against AA? Its a doosey, and its exactly why you should shove it all in preflop or fold it. IF youve walked into AA or KK hard luck, and if hes out flopped you with his AQ well thats poker. You got your money in when you was infront and thats the best you can ever do.

Re: A tight spot with Anna Kournikova For me , it's an instant fold. You have plenty of chips left. I don't like AK, and I very rarely call without a made hand. You have a 50% chance of pairing 1 of your two cards, you've gotta put him on a pocket pair. At best it's a coinflip, I don't push unless I'm fairly certain I'm ahead (or I'm doing a blind steal latter in the game with 72o, but that's different)

At best it's a coinflip' date=' I don't push unless I'm fairly certain I'm ahead (or I'm doing a blind steal latter in the game with 72o, but that's different)[/quote'] To be fair if youe moving in with 7-2o its not really stealing. As well know its the best godamn hand in poker. Trouble is with $1 tournies is there are such a broad spectrum of players ranging from complete novices right up to sharks using them as virtual satelites to that nights $50 game. I see so many re-reraises on all in with 22 and AT in these games its frightening.

I see so many re-reraises on all in with 22 and AT in these games its frightening.
not frightening Dave, profitable, I seem to be a in very small minority on here, but I like playing against poor players, because you beat them a lot. The occasional fluky bad beat, is nothing to be worried about for the long term player

not frightening Dave' date=' profitable, I seem to be a in very small minority on here, but I like playing against poor players, because you beat them a lot. The occasional fluky bad beat, is nothing to be worried about for the long term player[/quote'] Bad choice of words perhaps. I agree with you however on this, as per another thread here recently. What I meant was that in low buy in large field tournies its much harder to get acurate information. Case in point - my 77 was recently set all in in the opening hand of a $1 MTT. I kinda knew I was against a 3 outer - and sure enough my reraiser had K7o. The river was of course the magical K.

Re: A tight spot with Anna Kournikova " Its a doosey, and its exactly why you should shove it all in preflop or fold it." I'd already decided I was happy to get my chips in, but if I pushed before the flop he would have to call. Since I had very little fold equity, I thought I'd try a "stop and go" - all in on the flop regardless of what it is, giving him the chance to make a mistake and fold. He was getting good odds on my all-in, and should probably realise I what I was doing, but still has the chance to fold if he missed, or is just scared. I had him pegged as a decent player, capable of folding if he thought he was beaten. I was also fairly sure he didn't have QQ+, since he'd done this before from a very similar situation. I reckon it was one of his "moves", that he enjoyed using early on to bully inexperienced players. Medium pairs ARE strong before the flop, but are very rarely still as strong post-flop. Checking the flop essentially gives it up. I might as well just fold. If I'm going to call the bet pre-flop, I have to bet on the flop. So I pushed, he thought about it, and folded. Pot mine :)

" had him pegged as a decent player... ...Checking the flop essentially gives it up.
If you had been dealt QQ and had that flop - how would you act. Im guessing you might just check, and a check on the flop against experienced opposition is often more worrying then a pot sized bet. Do you give the guy enough credit to read "the nuts" if you check after all that preflop action? Edit: Looks like he had AJ or 88 after all based on his fold :)

Re: A tight spot with Anna Kournikova calling is rubbish as its 50% of your stack and you are only about 30% to hit the flop, with AK you want to see all 5 cards - so its shove (or fold and pick a better spot if yoyu prefer) however as you did call, I would play a stop and go and shove the flop - and he will call with any pair or any draw, just hop he is also playing AK and folds ;) Damo

PokerStars Game #5664072897: Tournament #28657046, $1.00+$0.20 Hold'em No Limit - Level VII (100/200) - 2006/07/24 - 07:05:46 (ET) Table '28657046 2' 9-max Seat #9 is the button Seat 1: dewy5 (4545 in chips) Seat 3: buckey7 (590 in chips) Seat 4: lrob09 (40 in chips) is sitting out Seat 5: MFAH28 (6230 in chips) Seat 6: PokerBarney2 (3930 in chips) Seat 7: sunkka (6550 in chips) Seat 8: Knie_nieder (2645 in chips) Seat 9: bigTRei (2010 in chips) dewy5: posts the ante 25 buckey7: posts the ante 25 lrob09: posts the ante 25 MFAH28: posts the ante 25 PokerBarney2: posts the ante 25 sunkka: posts the ante 25 Knie_nieder: posts the ante 25 bigTRei: posts the ante 25 dewy5: posts small blind 100 buckey7: posts big blind 200 *** HOLE CARDS *** Dealt to PokerBarney2 [Ks Ah] lrob09: folds MFAH28: folds PokerBarney2: raises 400 to 600 sunkka: raises 900 to 1500 Knie_nieder: folds bigTRei: folds dewy5: folds buckey7: folds PokerBarney2: ??? Now what?! I've seen this guy do this once before, and the original raiser backed down.

Re: A tight spot with Anna Kournikova Dave - had I QQ, I would check raise all in, but this would give him odds that he could not give up, even if he was really rubbish. I want him to be able to fold. After calling a re-raise, a check on the flop to me indicates weakness - calling with AK or something weaker and having missed. If I had stronger I would've pushed pre-flop, so with a shove on the flop he has to take into the account I may have called with a weaker holding (AK/KQ, low pair) and either flopped TPHK or a set. If I check, he bets, regardless of his holding. Damo. I would happily have shoved pre-flop, but since there was a high chance of him having a middle pair, the stop n go was perfect here, giving him chance to fold. If he hits and calls, it's no different to me shoving pre-flop. The difference is in those few times when he folds.

Re: A tight spot with Anna Kournikova Can I just say, this is an excellent thread and it's really helped my game. I've tended to check on the flop with these kind of hands, but from reading here I understand this is wrong, and shows weakness. A stop n go is much better. I was playing last night, and held a pair of aces, I placed medium bets all the way to the river and allowed a guy to draw a flush to beat me, when I should have pushed against his post flop raise. Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated.