ATP TMS Hamburg & WTA Rome 15th-21st May

Re: ATP TMS Hamburg & WTA Rome 15th-21st May Give Ancic another chance m8 . He's put curses on whoever plays him :loon :loon :loon :loon :loon :loon

SportTennis
EventATP Hamburg
SelectionSTEPANEK v Acasuso
Strength10/10
Date20/05/2006
Bookmaker/PriceBlue Square @ 2.62 (Back)
ReasoningI've mentioned twice this week that Stepanek is vunerable on clay to guys who hit big topspin as it shows the flaws in his forehand technique - this is exactly the situation we have here. HOWEVER, I'm willing to overlook this on this occasion. Now we've reached the semi finals this is more about maintaining your composure and dealing with pressure - in this category Stepanek looks miles ahead. The guy loves the pressure situations, almost as much as he loves annoying his opponents. He's playedvery well this week, and is yet to drop a set. Against Mirnyi he showed a willingness to change his strategy for each match; he stayed back a lot more and gave Mirnyi the net - seems a strange tactic but it was effective. This is another edge I feel he has over Acasuso, as he thinks very clearly and can change his approach during the match. But the main thing here is I think Acasuso is really feeling the pressure, and is liable to crack in his first Masters Series semi final. Against Verdasco he played a decent set and a half then completely fell apart when serving for the match - giving up his first break points losing serve to love and hitting a double fault on match point! I think he was struggling with his emotions in the third set aswell but Verdasco was making so many mistakes we didn't get to see it. H2H is 2-1 to Stepanek and 1-1 on clay. Basically Acasuso has the game to get through this, but Stepanek is extremely hard to break, and if this gets tight, I know who I'd fancy.
I really want to back Robredo too, very impressed with him tonight, never realised he was so quick around the court! But dare I go against the Ancic voodoo?:unsure :unsure

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: ATP TMS Hamburg & WTA Rome 15th-21st May I'm going for it:$ :$ :$ :$ :$ :$

SportTennis
EventATP Hamburg
SelectionROBREDO v Ancic
Strength10/10
Date20/05/2006
Bookmaker/Price>William Hill @ 1.50 (Back)
ReasoningHow well is Robredo playing! I was very impressed with him last night, he's moving extremely well and making a lot of shots. He's a far superior player on clay than Ancic and surely that will be decisive here. To be fair, Ancic is playing well, however, all these monumental comebacks must be draining. I can't see him producing enough shots from the back to break down Robredo, as he's looked very solid. H2H is 1-1 but neither is particularly relevant. Surely Ancic can't get lucky again?
I originally entered this as ROBREDO v Blake on Sports-Punter - VOODOO:loon :loon :loon

Re: ATP TMS Hamburg & WTA Rome 15th-21st May 20pts Ancic over Robredo @ 2.94 - I'll ride this train all day long. I've made so much money off of him that I don't mind losing 20pts. So it's not a confidence vote, it's a value one. 20pts Stepanek over Acasuso @ 2.72 - I like the Step plays and I fancy him over Acasuso in the pressure cooker. I'm expecting 1 out of 2. Which will pull a profit either way. I really hope if anyone loses, it's Ancic ;) ( just for you I :tongue2) 20pts Safina over Kuznetsova @ 2.04 - I haven't been following the womens tennis (that starts next week), but I'll take some points thanks.

Re: ATP TMS Hamburg & WTA Rome 15th-21st May Oh fair warning, my team in AFL won against the top of table as one of the biggest underdogs of the year.:nana So either all of my mojo is spent on that miracle, or it's warming up for next week. There may be some turbulence behind my picks for a while :rollin Step with the opening break, good signs :D

Re: ATP TMS Hamburg & WTA Rome 15th-21st May

20pts Ancic over Robredo @ 2.94 - I'll ride this train all day long. I've made so much money off of him that I don't mind losing 20pts. So it's not a confidence vote, it's a value one. 20pts Stepanek over Acasuso @ 2.72 - I like the Step plays and I fancy him over Acasuso in the pressure cooker. I'm expecting 1 out of 2. Which will pull a profit either way. I really hope if anyone loses, it's Ancic ;) ( just for you I :tongue2) 20pts Safina over Kuznetsova @ 2.04 - I haven't been following the womens tennis (that starts next week), but I'll take some points thanks.
Hope you hit 2 out of 3 mate:ok Very passive first set from Acasuso, he's just letting Stepanek do whatever he wants:hope

Re: ATP TMS Hamburg & WTA Rome 15th-21st May Well, Ancic 2-1 in sets is 6 atm. I could never see him winning 2-0 against Robredo, may be a good cover just in case. I'm thinking about laying off some of the 20pts to take on the 2-1, 6 is one hell of a value for someone who's has a knack of making some solid players look silly in the third set. --- Er, shoulda looked at the amounts on offer, sitting at 5.3

Re: ATP TMS Hamburg & WTA Rome 15th-21st May While it's not looking pretty on either end, Robredo isn't looking all of that sharp. Not rubbing it in, I just don't know what to do if Ancic actually wins the first set. (it's been sooo long ago)

While it's not looking pretty on either end, Robredo isn't looking all of that sharp. Not rubbing it in, I just don't know what to do if Ancic actually wins the first set. (it's been sooo long ago)
Haven't seen any of it, more interested in Safina at the moment:hope

Haven't seen any of it' date=' more interested in Safina at the moment:hope[/quote'] Fair enough, been peeking over there between sets, worrying how she's up and giving it back. Hope she doesn't run out of games before get gets back up:unsure And he'll win it, I'd reckon. (Though if Ancic just happens to win tonight I'm going large on Steph no matter what the odds. Picked Ancic up 5pts for 36 on the outright before Davy yesterday. So I have nothing to lose). Shoulda grabbed Steph for 11 as well, but I thought Ferrer would have been the one against him in the final and didn't want to waste money. ... Serving for the match, come on baby! er, is she ... good lookin?

She bring ya back to profit? That was the most stress I've had on a blind bet in a long time. Cheers for the tip!
Not quite. At one point in the week I was about -65pts:cry :cry. Now -1.2pts (not including a bit on Ancic yesterday;)). If Robredo comes through I'll be into profit:hope :hope

Re: ATP TMS Hamburg & WTA Rome 15th-21st May Didn't this scenario applies to the previous 2 games that ancic played in ? He was struggling too until he started relying on his lucks to get through :unsure

I'll quit cheering then' date=' hell don't need to. Ancic continues to struggle - Robredo has barely dropped a point this set.[/quote']

Re: ATP TMS Hamburg & WTA Rome 15th-21st May His stamina would prove to be a factor though . I'll be looking to lay him off maybe at the 3rd or 4th rd if he can get that far .

One bet for me next week' date=' lay ancic outright. He's been brillant, but this kid has got to be tired as hell. - if he plays.[/quote']

Didn't this scenario applies to the previous 2 games that ancic played in ? He was struggling too until he started relying on his lucks to get through :unsure
In order to even apply the luck factor he has to have chances. Robredo is racing through his service games. I think Ancic has only had three points in this entire set. Will be interesting in a TB though:\ .. Notice how much fun tennis can be without Nadal and Fed? lol

Re: ATP TMS Hamburg & WTA Rome 15th-21st May I'll have a sleep about it I think, but Step has been on fire this week, and has really came into his own. Robredo has been up and down. Even tonight, with his talent I wasn't overly impressed with the first set. However, Betfair has the overall market open and not the actual match (though its fair to say that they aren't going to be different when the match lines come out). Step @ 3.15 and will move longer over the next 24 hours. Though, Robredo has whipped Step this year in Barcelona, and has actually beat him here in Hamburg in 2003. It'll be a lot harder to get this one for me, gut says Step, Robredo from up top. 1.5 isn't enough to tempt me, but 4 might... Wife won't let me use the double up policy this week :sad Two seperate tournies next week, tends to be a lot more value in those. Wahooo. Hopefully, we don't get caught out of the 'garros is coming blues'