** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

ATP & WTA Indian Wells

Re: ATP & WTA Indian Wells

SportTennis
EventWTA Indian Wells
SelectionIVANOVIC v Dementieva
Strength10/10
Date16/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceSportingOdds @ 2.62 (Back)
ReasoningI've been thinking about these two all day! Dementieva has struggled so far, and already has dropped two sets. After a very strong little indoor season she seems to be playing a lot worse outdoors - obvious effect on her very fragile serve. Ivanovic has had a very poor year given all the hype around her but I think this is a great season for her to deliver. She's looked very solid in her first three matches and has a good shot at this one. I think she'll be able to attack Dementievas serve more so than a lot of the 'decent' women players and get a few breaks - it will all come down to her mental state if she can finish off the sets. Very decent price from Sporting Odds with a few others going as low as 2.25 and this is above the Betfair price before commission.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: ATP & WTA Indian Wells Indian Wells Semi final: Sharapova bt Hingis @ 1.69 with Betfair Most bookies offering 1.57 on Sharapova, so I see this Betfair offer as very good. Odds will surely shorten for Sharapova. Sharapova I feel has figured out Hingis' game as shown in their last meeting. Very generous odds IMO as Hingis has been in superb form.

Re: ATP & WTA Indian Wells Sorry to say that Federer's domination of the game is boring the pants of me! Don't get me wrong, I marvel at his talent but the men's game is so lacking in real quality. Gasquet last night was outgunned and Ivan "Croat" in the first set tonight was clueless!

Sorry to say that Federer's domination of the game is boring the pants of me! Don't get me wrong, I marvel at his talent but the men's game is so lacking in real quality. Gasquet last night was outgunned and Ivan "Croat" in the first set tonight was clueless!
Nadal OWNS Federer

:lol :lol You mean he has beat him a couple of times on a clay court? :rollin :rollin
Once on a clay court. Twice on a hard court. Another time before he was "big time" was 2-0 sets and I think a break up before tiring in the final of Miami. (for once) I'd have to agree with FT on this one. I've even backed Nadal outright in this one because I think he's got Fed's number (because I backed him outright he's injured his ankle:eyes :eyes :eyes :eyes)

Once on a clay court. Twice on a hard court. Another time before he was "big time" was 2-0 sets and I think a break up before tiring in the final of Miami. (for once) I'd have to agree with FT on this one. I've even backed Nadal outright in this one because I think he's got Fed's number (because I backed him outright he's injured his ankle:eyes :eyes :eyes :eyes)
yes he was 2 sets and 4-1 up in the 3rd before he got robbed of a crucial line call on one of the most important pts of the game which allowed Federer into the 3rd set, then Nadal tired. And that was the only time Federer has beaten Nadal.:rollin

Re: ATP & WTA Indian Wells 20pts Blake-Nadal (1.84 @ William Hill) Blake should really put Andreev to the sword here - rather than the Russian being brilliant, I feel it's been a case of his opponents having been below par when they've played him. That said, Blake has a career 3-0 lead(all meetings on hardcourts) over Andreev on h2h and had previously beaten him in straight sets on both occasions when they'd played in the US. Expect Blake to nick this, really. Similarly, Nadal should have too much for even the resurgent Baghdatis. This should have the makings of an exciting contest with both players enjoying a scramble for points - however, I just feel Nadal's the smarter, more effective and more mature player between the pair and his experience at the highest level should help him through. Cheers & Good Luck! Starting Bank : 100.00pts Current Bank : 80.90pts Profit/Loss : -19.10pts

Federer's struggles BIG TIME against Nadal on hardcourts' date=' Nadal should be world number 1 within a year.[/quote'] And I'm on my way to making a clean sweep of the Oscars, Grammys and the Nobel Prizes... :rollin

Mr I, truth be told, I'm glad there're tonnes of people who think like you - if only the function that you guys serve is to jack up the price of Federer for these tournies... ;) To be fair, of those 3 meetings which Federer lost, the one at Roland Garros would be the only one where I'd say Federer lost hands down and it wasn't a consequence of his complacency getting the better of him. Obviously, that's not something very much in dispute either given the fact how Nadal proved many - myself included - wrong when he went on to win the French Open and proved he had both the game and the maturity to truly boss everyone on clay. I said sometime after last year's Wimbledon Federer could be pretty susceptible to being lulled into a false sense of security - and that was pretty much in evidence literally in every match from Haas onwards at this year's Aussie Open - when he's cruising(be it due to boredom or just a matter of thinking the job's already done) and would really fancy someone to sort of step up and match him on a more regular basis if only to help keep him on his feet. In a way, much as I marvel at Federer's brilliance(excluding the times when he plays like a twat and puts amateurs to shame when he goes on his mental walkabouts obviously), I feel it can only be good for the game(and probably for Federer himself as well) and the neutral observers if Nadal can prove to be a nemesis who could foster a healthy rivalry with Federer for the next decade. That said, however, I must admit I'd still have to fancy Federer as being the best player by a mile on any surface outside clay. We'll see soon enough come Sunday.. :tongue2

How injured is Nadal? A few shock results so far and Nadal can easily fall into that category.
He was still able to play at his normal level and he was playing well. However, no idea how it will swell up and react for the past couple of days:unsure. Baghdatis was really good against Berdych so this one could be tough for Nadal, but expect him to come through (might drop a set).

Tip Detail
SportTennis
EventBlake - Andreev;Aachen - Dynamo Dresden
SelectionBlake + Aachen
Strength10/10
Date17/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceInterwetten @ 2.24 (Back)
ReasoningBlake 1.40 Aachen 1.60 Blake should win with Andreev.Althought Andreev made it so far I don't really see any chances for him.Blake is far better player.He is playing in USA and on his favourite courts.Andreev should be already out of the tournament after match against Soederling.Andreev had three 3 set matches so he should be more tired also.H2H 3:0 for Blake. Aachen is playing poor travellers Dynamo.They are great at home and they are fighting for Bundesliga.Previous match was easy 3:1 for Aachen and in previous season 5:1 on Aachen ground.I'm just a bit affraid that Dynamo will defend with all players and counting on counter attacks and then Aachen can have problems with scoring.Everything depends who will score first here:) If Aachen then it should be easy victory for them.

SportTennis
EventATP Indian Wells
SelectionLAY ANDREEV v Blake (Lay)
Strength10/10
Date17/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>Betfair @ 3.50 (Lay)
ReasoningAfter a huge win against Roddick, I can't see Andreev being mentally strong enough to back it up against Blake. Before that game he had really struggled and I think his first two matches are more an indicator of his form as Roddick was pathetic. Blake has found some form the last couple of weeks and I fancy his to take this one comfortably. H2H is 3-0 to Blake which is nice, but Andreev served for the match in there last meeting earlier this year, which is a concern. However, I think this is a much better situation for Blake and he should be able to take advantage.

Re: ATP & WTA Indian Wells Nadal's just won his the opening game (also his opening service game) struggling to get past Marcos after surviving two break points which Baghdatis did very well to get to it appears. The omens are not good especially if Baghdatis makes Rafael run all over the court (I have no idea, I'm just looking at a scoreboard on the web).

I'm gonna be right pissed off if Nadal's injuries allow Baghdatis through to the next round.
To be honest, I was hoping the Baghdatis-Nadal contest was a SF rather than a QF - they could go kill each other scrambling for every point, really. That should help Fed a bit when the final comes around... :lol

Re: ATP & WTA Indian Wells Well there you go. After Detroit lose in the NBA as a 6/1 ON ML favourite against the New York Knicks of all teams, I was expecting the absolute worst to further compound my troubles and Rafael only goes and thumps Marcos 7-5 6-0 (not so convincing in the first set, ruthless in the second but a hiccup in trying to close out on Baghdatis' serve though). I've probably gotta stop betting on accumulators. :$

Re: ATP & WTA Indian Wells Sharapova bt Dementieva @ 1.33 with Willhill Nadal bt Blake @ 1.40 with Willhill Double = 1.867 Most other bookies offer 1.28 for Sharapova but pretty much all bookies offer 1.40 for Nadal. But overall this is good value. Sharapova should beat Demetieva comforably, she will destroy Dementieva's serve and she has better groundstokes as well. Nadal will want revenge against Blake, Nadal thrashed Bagdatis yesterday and is looking good.

SportTennis
EventMaria Sharapova vs Elena Dementieva
SelectionMaria Sharapova to win
Strength10/10
Date18/03/2006
Bookmaker/PriceBetdaq @ 1.35 (Back)
ReasoningElena Dementieva is struggling and playing really, really bad but still she is winning... Her first serve percentage is more than poor and Ana Ivanovic was very unlucky not to use this advantage as much as she could. Last night, Justine Henin was playing great against Elena, but she injured herself during the second set and finally she lost. On the other hand, Maria Sharapova is playing better and better and after yesterday's win over Martina Hingis I believe she will take Indian Wells tonight without any problem.

To be honest' date=' I was hoping the Baghdatis-Nadal contest was a SF rather than a QF - they could go kill each other scrambling for every point, really. That should help Fed a bit when the final comes around... :lol[/quote'] Bagdatis is no match for Nadal, unless Nadal has serious injury.

Bagdatis is no match for Nadal' date=' unless Nadal has serious injury.[/quote'] It was simply a case of Baghdatis being beaten mentally by the end of the first set more than anything. :tongue2 Enough said - I'd like to see how someone, much as his talent is undeniable, who has yet to prove himself on a consistent basis outside claycourts establish himself as a world no.1 in the foreseeable future with Federer around!

Re: ATP & WTA Indian Wells From what I have seen, Sharapova will dominate the rest of the year in the womens side IMO. She has changed her game from hard hitter into adding a lot of variety and angles to her shots and brilliant little skills, a very crafty player. She totally blitzed her way to the IW title without a loss of a single set in the 6 matches played.

SportTennis
EventATP Indian Wells
SelectionFEDERER 3-1 v Blake
Strength10/10
Date19/03/2006
Bookmaker/Price>William Hill @ 3.50 (Back)
ReasoningJust fancy it to be honest. Blake has been very strong all the way through especially in the semi against Nadal and I fancy him to put in a really good performance. Federer has looked a little vunerable at times (and amazing at other times) and I think he can drop a set here. Being best of 5 Blakes shot making ability should give him at least a couple of breaks and I think he'll be able to turn one of those into a set. H2H is 2-0 to Federer, both in straight sets, but in both there was a tie break which shows Blake can keep it pretty tight, and I expect a similar tight game tonight.