Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006)

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006)

Hingis to beat Clijsters trading at about 3.5 on Betfair. only put a very small amount on this. 5pts. Its more of hope rather than expectation. IMO, in terms of talent only, Sharapova and Hingis are tops so I hope this will be the final.
Couldn't decide on this match. Too many fitness issues to price up properly. Hope Hingis wins, would be great for Womens Tennis and even Tennis in general. Heres hoping for a Henin - Hingis final:hope

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like people giving their opinions, I just don't like people arguing about FACTS. Cos a fact is a fact whereas an opinion can be anything.
HOnestly, mate, you seem to get overly aggressive in most arguments you get into on this thread (and not only), even agruing with some facts given and often an opinion differetn to yours drives you a bit mad. Like alex said above (and many of us before) - calm down please and try to discuss things in a bit more moderate manner. After all people on here are not your enemies and your stance, I'm afraid, is only gaining you the status of an "undeservedly recognised genius" who lives in his own world and doesn't need anybody else. Some language etiquette is to be observed as well. BTW, you should have promised to eat something more material than your words - would make it all more interesting to those who follow;)

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Just reading this thread hoping for a bit of info for tonights Kiefer v Grosjean match and all I find is everbody having a go at FootballTennis who's obviously quite new on here looking at the number of posts. I appreciate he's wound a few people up but he's not the only one hurling abuse around yet he's the only one getting warned about it. Cut the guy some slack. As for not posting bets in monetary terms i think thats rather petty and personally i would rather know what someone is staking as it gives you more of an idea how confident they are on their selections; ive had this debate before many moons ago and at that time i wasnt alone in my thinking.

Just reading this thread hoping for a bit of info for tonights Kiefer v Grosjean match and all I find is everbody having a go at FootballTennis who's obviously quite new on here looking at the number of posts. I appreciate he's wound a few people up but he's not the only one hurling abuse around yet he's the only one getting warned about it. Cut the guy some slack.
thanks, and i'm not even the one who started the arguments.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) So folks; any thoughts on Kiefer v Grosjean I'll be straight. I know fcuk all about the game when compared with all your knowledge but i quite fancy Kiefer. He's beaten some decent opponents (Srichapan, Pashanski (who?), Ferrero & Chela). Has he got the edge over Grosjean? Just been absolutely destroyed by canvey Island scoring 2 in the last 3 minutes tonight so im looking for some Tennis action. Help appreciated!

Just reading this thread hoping for a bit of info for tonights Kiefer v Grosjean match and all I find is everbody having a go at FootballTennis who's obviously quite new on here looking at the number of posts. I appreciate he's wound a few people up but he's not the only one hurling abuse around yet he's the only one getting warned about it. Cut the guy some slack.
Mmm, I'm sure you must have missed some of his posts;) Kiefer - Grosjean Bloody tough match. I was thinking about going for Kiefer because he is serving really well this tournament and seems to have stepped it up in his last two matches beating Ferrero and Chela. However, Grosjean is a class act. Looking back at there Grand Slam records Kiefer has reached two Grand Slam quarters (2 at the Aussie) but his last was the US Open in 2000 which was a long time ago. So this is close to the biggest match he has had in a long time. Grosjean has reached four Grand Slam semi finals (1 at the Aussie) and 4 Grand Slam quarter finals (2 at the Aussie). Generally his record is a little bit better and he has played more of the big matches. H2H is 3-1 with Grosjean winning two on clay and 1-1 on hardcourts - but the one Grosjean won was when Kiefer was having a pretty bad run. In general, as you can probably see, I can't decide. Slight edge to Kiefer, but very slight and the odds reflect it. On final thing is Kiefer will certainly fancy playing Federer in the semi, so perhaps a little extra motivation (if it's needed);)

they r just picking on me cos i'm new. but thats ok, i'm not here to argue, i'm here to state opinions and give and recieve tips. but sadly some people want to start an argument with me cos they think they can take advantage of a newbie.
I was treated quite well when i first started on here but id have pissed off double quick had i got some of the crap youve put up with

they r just picking on me cos i'm new. but thats ok, i'm not here to argue, i'm here to state opinions and give and recieve tips. but sadly some people want to start an argument with me cos they think they can take advantage of a newbie.
Maybe it's because one of your first posts was after eventing that you were on Chela against Murray and calling us mugs for rating him. That was after both edkth and I and probably others had tipped and backed him. Luddite, perhpas you missed most of his posts as they generally aren't more than one line:lol

Maybe it's because one of your first posts was after eventing that you were on Chela against Murray and calling us mugs for rating him. That was after both edkth and I and probably others had tipped and backed him. Luddite, perhpas you missed most of his posts as they generally aren't more than one line:lol
I dont agree with after eventing but i certainly agree that Murray has been over hyped. Always worries me when a young lad cramps up and vomits on court

You say Kiefer is serving reaally well; how reliant is he on that serve if he has a bit of an off day with it?
Not especially reliant as he is very strong off the ground. The problem is his ball toss is very high so it can go quite wrong:unsure. He is 6th in the "Ace list" for this tournament having hit 44 in his 4 matches. However, just looked up and he isn't hitting a good first serve % at all:
% 1st Serves In45494944
That's from 1st round to 4th round left to right. But then he is winning a very high percentage when he gets it in:
% 1st Srv Pts Won71798683
Again 1st round to 4th round left to right. Notice the 86% and 83% against Ferrero and Chela who are both very good returners that is a great percentage:eek

I was just very happy Chela won and so easily. i didn't say anything bad to any of you guys. Until edkth butted in. You've been alright though Mr I, at least you can take others opinions, unlike edkth.

% first serves in 44/44/47/41 % Points won on first serve 74/86/72/93
Aye, but those percentages were against Phillippoussis (can barely stand never mind return), Monaco (totally dreadful on hard courts), Coria (couldn't be arsed, had cramp in his left hand and a cut in his right hand) and Mathieu (flashy bugger who simply fell apart). Those percentages are part of the reason I opposed Grosjean against Coria:\. I think Kiefer is serving better and even though he isn't getting a great %, he is being more aggresive with his serve. That is the edge I think he has but Grosjean has a bit better experience at this level and has a bit more potential for winners from the back. Very tough match that I think the bookies have got right.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Hmmm it is a tough one but I too just about fancy Kiefer to nick this. Gonna really show my ignorance here but is the surface classed as a hard court? :$ Im sure some years back it was called "chevron" or something similar but ive never really known how it plays

Gonna really show my ignorance here but is the surface classed as a hard court? :$ Im sure some years back it was called "chevron" or something similar but ive never really known how it plays
It is classed as a hard court and is called 'Rebound Ace'. It's a hard sort of rubber that's quite sticky. It's a bit slower than a normal hard court - but then they might shut the roof to make it indoors, which makes it quicker - except Roddick said he thought it made it slower which no-one else seems to agree with:\. :ok

mate' date=' Kiefer/Grosgean match is just tooooooooo tough to call. Bookies reply on these type of matches to make the most of their money. My advice is to not bet, OR you could put a small wager on match going to 5 sets.[/quote'] Think you could be right FT but im beginning more and more to fancy Kiefer (Mr I has sold it to me ;) )

It is classed as a hard court and is called 'Rebound Ace'. It's a hard sort of rubber that's quite sticky. It's a bit slower than a normal hard court - but then they might shut the roof to make it indoors, which makes it quicker - except Roddick said he thought it made it slower which no-one else seems to agree with:\. :ok
And am i correct in thinking that a slower court would favour Grosjean? Im only going on the head to heads on clay. Grosjean seems to thrive on grass at Wimbledon so now im mega confused

Hmmm it is a tough one but I too just about fancy Kiefer to nick this. Gonna really show my ignorance here but is the surface classed as a hard court? :$ Im sure some years back it was called "chevron" or something similar but ive never really known how it plays
As far as my limited knowledge of tennis goes, I do believe the surface is classed as a Hard Court. Happy to be told otherwise.

And am i correct in thinking that a slower court would favour Grosjean? Im only going on the head to heads on clay. Grosjean seems to thrive on grass at Wimbledon so now im mega confused
It's talent mate Grosjean can kick ass on anything. Kiefer I'd say prefers the American hard courts a bit over these ones. Kiefer can get some great spin on his serve, sometimes an "American Twist" serve;) which is hard to deal with, I think that works better on the American courts. But, they are both playing well right now on this surface so I don't think it will be much of a factor.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Hewiit compained that the AO surface is a shite surface that is as slow as clay. I much prefer fast courts, better tennis and technique is demontrated on fast courts and attacking play is rewarded whereas on slow courts its more about grinding your oponents down and defensive play.

Re: Tennis : Australian Open (16th Jan 2006 - 29th Jan 2006) Good posts from both of you there. Cheers. Although i love the game i dont get to see much due to crap TV coverage. I think its certainly a sport that you can make money in but I suppose you really need to follow all the tour events. I must say that I love watching Grosjean play when Wimbledon is on the box - he seems to have that natural smooth flair that the French seem to have (eg Pioline). Due to that i dont like opposing the bloke but I really think this is time for Kiefer realise his potential. Despite my lack of knowledge in the sport ive actually done quite well betting wise (for a change), the only set back being Ferrer's loss to Santoro (not following a Racing Post tip again). So my cards are on the table and im gonna definitely go for Kiefer. 125 points @ 4/5 with bet365. Probably better odds aroundbut im only betting with them nowadays. Thanks for the info guys; i will be back on here slagging you off Mr I if he doesnt win cos i know you fancy it ;) Good luck

Thanks for the info guys; i will be back on here slagging you off Mr I if he doesnt win cos i know you fancy it ;)
:lol :lol I never said that!! I pick losers everyday and everyone seems to be fine with it:D. Although looking back to the first 5 pages of this thread I was over 10pts up after Day 2:sad