Jeff Lacy-Joe Calzhage: Manchester, 04/03/06

Re: Jeff Lacy-Joe Calzhage: Manchester, 04/03/06

Don't watch a lot of boxing but that's one of the best' date=' most clinical performances I've seen from any boxer ever :loon[/quote']Same here ............................. considering some of the fights that have been on lately his performance was a different class :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Re: Jeff Lacy-Joe Calzhage: Manchester, 04/03/06 wow what a fight and after the Heavywieght shambles its nice to know that real boxers are still around. Got to give some credit to Lacy aswell most other boxers that far behind would have thrown the towel in but he showed great boxing heart.. JOE TAKE A BOW SON(for 1 day I will forget ur Welsh) :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy 51277.jpg

Re: Jeff Lacy-Joe Calzhage: Manchester, 04/03/06 Great night for Welsh boxing last night, have to admit JC was truly amazing and I hope he now gets the credit he deserves from the English press. If he was English they'd be bigging him up big time. Once again well done JC, a true champion.

With hindsight backing Calzaghe seems one of the best value bets for a longtime.
He was, 2.46 before the off and it was as one sided as any fight Ive ever seen. What a night for Welsh and British boxing that was, to have an arrogant yank come into our own back yard and be absolutely taken to pieces by one of our own boys was sensational, I havnt enjoyed a fight that like since the Morales/Barrera of 3 years back. :eek
tonight he`s been like Naz in his pomp.
Difference being Joe was fighting someone good and not a bum just put in there to make him look good. :clap

Re: Jeff Lacy-Joe Calzhage: Manchester, 04/03/06 I went for a 10pt win on Calzaghe before the fight. I was considering lumping more money on during the fight. As I said in an earlier post Class is permanent. I had faith in him and he produced one of the best boxing performances in years. He made a world champion look ordinary and whether he's welsh, english, irish, scottish, it doesn't matter at all. Its about boxing. The repeat is on now on ITV. The fight should have been stopped, Lacy took too many head shots and is lucky to have made it to the end.

Re: Jeff Lacy-Joe Calzhage: Manchester, 04/03/06 I forgot to ask those of you that went to the fight, what is the view like and where were you sat? I have been to the M.E.N for concerts and the view was terrible from the opposite end of the stage. I could have got tickets for the fight but didn't bother as I thought the view would be poor for a boxing match. I'm sure the atmosphere was electric though.

Re: Jeff Lacy-Joe Calzhage: Manchester, 04/03/06 Brilliant form Joe. It was the start hat did it, he came out so strong he ruined Lacys game plan and he didn't know what hit him. Fantastic stuff When I went to watch Hatton - Tszu I was sat in the cheap seats up top, and the view was fine for me

Re: Jeff Lacy-Joe Calzhage: Manchester, 04/03/06 Lacy hasn't said anything but his trainer has, he had nothing but praise for Joe, didn't really comment on Jeff's performance but said it was the best display he's ever seen, and I have to agree with him. Even though I had 5 pts on Calzaghe to win on points I was willing him to KO him near the end such even though I would have lost my bet, would have put the gloss on an already amazing performance.

Lacy hasn't said anything but his trainer has' date=' he had nothing but praise for Joe, didn't really comment on Jeff's performance but said it was the best display he's ever seen, and I have to agree with him. Even though I had 5 pts on Calzaghe to win on points I was willing him to KO him near the end such even though I would have lost my bet, would have put the gloss on an already amazing performance.[/quote'] I wonder how long he'll be Lacy's trainer for. If I was Lacy he'd be dismissed straight away, it didn't seem he cared about Lacy's health he just kept on shoving back in there hoping Lacy would deliver the knockout blow that he was never going to do. He should have pulled Lacy out in the 9th round at the latest as he was taking such a beating.

I wonder how long he'll be Lacy's trainer for. If I was Lacy he'd be dismissed straight away' date=' it didn't seem he cared about Lacy's health he just kept on shoving back in there hoping Lacy would deliver the knockout blow that he was never going to do. He should have pulled Lacy out in the 9th round at the latest as he was taking such a beating.[/quote'] Very valid point kev, he was dead on his feet for the last 4 rounds, and the fact he acknowledged the superiority of Joe's performance, and the difference in class makes it even more unfathomable that he left Lacy in there for the distance.

Re: Jeff Lacy-Joe Calzhage: Manchester, 04/03/06 There's only one problem with this win. Calzaghe beat him up so convincingly that people are questioning wether Lacy was actually any good anyway, this in spite of everything that was written about him over the last year and virtually every journo claiming a mid-round stoppage for him. I don't doubt him one little bit anymore, I've always liked him as a fighter but have been a bit suspect about the names on his record but not now. It's sad that the doubts persist in some peoples minds but IMO he will go over to the states now and make one big defence (hopefully Kessler to really unify the titles but I doubt that would be a big enough draw) then move up to light heavy and kick Tarver's ass before retiring unbeaten and with a place in the HOF guaranteed.

Re: Jeff Lacy-Joe Calzhage: Manchester, 04/03/06 Great avatar Paul. No matter who Calzaghe fights now he will be long odds on after that performance. I just went for the win, I was debating between the KO or points win. I'd love to see him beat the yanks in their own back yard. It will be great when Hatton does it too.