How to calculate Yield... I have NO idea..!

Hi, comrads! I've just registred after I stumbled across this site earlier today. I've been a punter for some while now but there's still a lot to learn. I've read threads about various systems and estimations. Some of the threads includes "yield". But what is it excactly and how do you calculate it? I need som help on this one...

Re: How to calculate Yield... I have NO idea..! Its not a tool, its a result, positive yield means you are in profit, negative you have a loss. When you bet systematically you use the same money over and over again, the yield tells you your profit, on average, per unit staked. Say you start with 100£ and a yield of +5% , after you placed X number of bets, using the entire 100£, you can expect to have 105£ . When you've placed X number of bets and used the bank twice you may expect to have 110£ . It is alternatively called ROI, Return on Investment. +5% is what you can expect each time you use the invested bank once. It also works the other way around, -5% means each time you've used the entire 100£ once you may expect to have 95£ left :eyes

How can i use it
It is basically a measure of how you are doing long term. If your yield is negative that means you are losing money, that tells you to either get a bigger strike rate, ie more winners, and/or get a better price for your selections, and if can't see your way into doing that: STOP BETTING and go back to the drawing board.

Re: How to calculate Yield... I have NO idea..! Yield is the most important figure - ie it tell you how high is your returtn on investment, ie how much are you winning in relation to your stakes. You would agree for sure is you win 1 pts for each 1,000 staked, your betting/business is best left behind. Generally sadi, a good punter is able to yield between 5 and 10 percent in the long period of time, also depending on the strategy - if you prefer even shots or long odds-on favs etc. One more thing - only about TWO percent of all punters are able to generate a profit in the long term.

Re: How to calculate Yield... I have NO idea..! Thanks, folks. That really put my mind into focus-mode.:ok I DO keep a record of my bets since I want to keep track on how things turn out. Once again, thanks! Do you got any good system on how to analyze a match? I'm thinking on how you approach the objects you want to bet on... How you spot the differenses between the teams (weakness and strength) and how you use the stats.

• 3 years later...

Re: How to calculate Yield... I have NO idea..!

Yield is the most important figure - ie it tell you how high is your returtn on investment' date=' ie how much are you winning in relation to your stakes. You would agree for sure is you win 1 pts for each 1,000 staked, your betting/business is best left behind. Generally sadi, a good punter is able to yield between 5 and 10 percent in the long period of time, also depending on the strategy - if you prefer even shots or long odds-on favs etc. One more thing - only about TWO percent of all punters are able to generate a profit in the long term.[/quote'] Closer to 5% mate and potentially an awful lot more, only they choose to do it for fun and not for long term profit, meaning they back selections they KNOW they really shouldn't which is one of the things the bookies prey on. People have to realise that odds compilers are just people like you and I. They are not just some sort of robots. A lot of them really are not very good and their prices are put up without much (or any logic) behind them, a lot all just based on stats, and stats don't tell the whole story. Anyway, back to yield (ROI). An easy way to sum it up would be if you bet £1000 over a year and return £1200 that would be a profit of £200 which is 1/5 of your total stakes(£1000) Which = 20% yield. Anywhere in double figures yield is a good yield and the bigger, obviously the better.

Re: How to calculate Yield... I have NO idea..!

People have to realise that odds compilers are just people like you and I. They are not just some sort of robots. A lot of them really are not very good and their prices are put up without much (or any logic) behind them, a lot all just based on stats, and stats don't tell the whole story.
I have to disagree with that part. Odds compilers have to finish the day with all bets spread 50-50 % between an under or over, according to odds for example. The best way is odds like 1.91 and 1.91 and all bets 50-50%. Odds compilers do not have to know football or basketball or whatever sport.

Re: How to calculate Yield... I have NO idea..! Exactly mate, which is what I meant by saying not very good(at the markets they price up, in terms, of knowing them) which is why they can be exploited. EG. in golf match betting, what they do is try to get 2 evenly matched players at say 10/11(both). Some will have the tie option available at massive odds. So, no matter what happens, they will be bringing in the profits. BUT to do that, their matches will HAVE to be evenly matched and in an awful lot of cases, they are so heavily weighted in favour of 1 player it's unreal. I'm talking 80%-20% in a lot of cases and this can only possibly come around by a compiler who knows little or nothing about the market he's working and just relies on his 'statistical brilliance'! Now obviously, they can change the prices accordingly but that has no bearing on the astute punter. If you can continuosly back selections @ odds of 10/11 or 5/6 that come in 70-80% of the time, then let the cash roll in :)