• Fondmort
    • Our Armageddon
    • Lacdoudal
    • Redemption
    • Europa
    • Scots Grey
    • Brooklyn Breeze
    • Other (Please State in Thread)

PATRICKSNINETEENTH is an attractive option here at 25/1 (most firms) won a grade 1 novice chase 2 seasons ago at Sandown beating a good field. Went on to finish 4th in the R&SA Chase at Cheltenham that year but didnt appear last season. Has not ran for 633 days but gets in with only 10st 6lb for this race whereas the likes of Our Vic are carrying 11st 12lb. Our Vic was 3rd in that race off level weights & has obviously shown improvement to move up the weights. 7 out of last 10 winners have carried under 11st & the last 6 have been second season chasers. This horse fits the bill. Only 1 favourite has won in last 10 runnings but the SP has been under 10/1 in 9 of last 10, showing that market leaders generally do well (as long as they are not fav!) Our armageddon is of a similar vein in terms of absence etc & that is only 10/12-1 now. EW on this selection for me.

Re: Robin Cook Memorial Gold cup - Saturday Just noticed this in our Jumps notebook posted by Tezza as the jockeys leading horse to follow this year. Tom Doyle is the jockey & yes, i suppose he isnt one of the famous jocks but has a 15% win strike rate for 2005 & a 22% strike rate for trainer Paul Webber. Thier Cheltenham stats are much less impressive at 4% win strike rate apeice however Webber does tackle the big prizes there & isnt scared off.

Re: Robin Cook Memorial Gold cup - Saturday Agree on Patricksnineteenth Bowles. Backed it a couple of times including e/w in the 2004 SunAlliance at around 25/1...ran a good race, and if fit, can certainly runa big one here being given over a stone from the likes of Our Vic. I also rather like the chances of Fndmort at 9s. Ran a really good race in the Paddy Power, and has an 11lb pull from Our Vic here. The horse is reported in good form, and for me, this is one of the best each way bets in a long while.

Re: Robin Cook Memorial Gold cup - Saturday Just seen patricksnineteenth on BF @ 34 ot 1 (no e/w I know) but if we knew this horse was fit we would be taking out loans to back it at that price. Another one who could be well weighted if fit is our armageddon (616 day layoff) for this one , and 3 lb claim aswell means the horse will carry just 10 stone. It makes you thinkthe trainers havent given these horses any races and thrown them straight into a big handicapp like this to avoid getting a bigger mark.

Re: Robin Cook Memorial Gold cup - Saturday

Just seen patricksnineteenth on BF @ 34 ot 1 (no e/w I know) but if we knew this horse was fit we would be taking out loans to back it at that price. Another one who could be well weighted if fit is our armageddon (616 day layoff) for this one ' date=' and 3 lb claim aswell means the horse will carry just 10 stone. It makes you thinkthe trainers havent given these horses any races and thrown them straight into a big handicapp like this to avoid getting a bigger mark.[/quote'] listen,all i know is that it is difficult to win the race with more than 11st, & these horses were alongside Our Vic 2 seasons ago & now get a 20lb+ pull in the weights. As always i prefer value. I see none in Our Vic at 3/1. if it wins, then so be it, but i will continue to chase the value.

Re: Robin Cook Memorial Gold cup - Saturday OK - i've taken the current top 9 in the betting and added a "Other" category. If you vote other - state which horse it is in the thread please - i think this has already been done in a couple of cases with Patricksnineteenth :ok

Re: Robin Cook Memorial Gold cup - Saturday I think Bowles has already pointed some of this out but just a couple of points to bear in mind are that young, improving horses tend to perform better than Veterans. The more experienced horses struggle to concede weight to the less experienced but improving horses. As Bowles points out, you dont really want to be backing a horse carrying much more than 11stone. Old Vic is potentially a class act though which presents a dilemma. I wouldnt be taking the current price of 11/4 though. A horse hasnt won on his seasonal debut since 1993 and the last 9 winners had raced within the last 4 weeks and been placed in the first 3 last time out. Hopefully that will help narrow the field down a bit :ok

Re: Robin Cook Memorial Gold cup - Saturday Our Vic for me. You have to go with Pipe & Murphy on a big race day on a Saturday, well I do. They won the Paddy Power Gold Cup last time out and as a result will have to overcome a 9lb rise in the weights. If the horse is right then I believe he can overcome the burden of top weight and bring home the bacon again for Pipe followers.

Re: Robin Cook Memorial Gold cup - Saturday I've gotta go with Old Vic as this horse has been talked up so much by Pipe in the past as being pure class! and yet before this season he pulled like a train in his races and effectively wore himself out and dropped tamely away, and thus letting his reputation down. Now in his 1st race this season in The Paddypower it seemed that he had grown up and learnt to settle - take into account that this was his 1st race back and he was still probably not race fit, I truely believe that now with that race bringing him back to peak fitness and his past tendencies behind him, he could rout this field. I would advise people not to take the price on him as I have a feeling too many bigtime tipsters will talk his price out on the race day. because of his tendencies of the past will make them go for a bigger priced horse! Also the Pipe and Murphy factor of picking up all the big handicaps on a saturday, just bodes very well - so OLD VIC for me... Regards,

Robin Cook Memorial Gold Cup Our Vic was so impressive in the Paddy Power Gold Cup recently. However, that was his first run since April when he really had a torrid time of things. Now he is at an all time high weight, I feel he has a great chance, but he is by no means a stone-wall banker at 3/1. Fondmort weighed more than Our Vic in the Paddy Power Gold Cup, now he weighs 6lb less in the handicap. Whether it is enough to turn around the 8 length defeat at the hands of Our Vic in the PP Gold Cup remains to be seen. However, I think he has a very good chance if the conditions are good. Thisthatandother is too good to be ignored and he does hold a course and distance victory over Fondmort. This was six months ago but form doesn't appear to have changed much since. So he definitely has a shout. Redemption always travels well, but doesn't seem to have that cutting edge anymore. I would be surprised if he picked up a win here, despite his low weight. But the dark horse for me is Europa. Well priced at 16/1 with most bookies, he enters this race coming off the back of a tremendous second place at Newbury and he is ominously low in weight. The only question hanging over his head is the ground. If it is good ground, he has every chance, if it is soft, he will struggle. But, expect him to be in with every shout.

Re: Robin Cook Memorial Gold Cup Hate to be a stick in the mud Matt, however Bowles started a thread for this race earlier in the week! It would be a good idea if you could post your views in the thread already set up, as setting up different threads for 1 race all the time for peoples views, is just gonna confuse the hell outta everyone who visit this site! Regards,

Re: Robin Cook Memorial Gold cup - Saturday disappointing show from the pipe runners yesterday. They seemed to run out of steam very quickly in their races. Hence why you can get 4's today on Our Vic. my selection down to 14/1 - NOW A N/R:wall :wall :wall Cheers guys, take my money all week, then on the day, they cut it.

Re: Robin Cook Memorial Gold cup - Saturday If Our Armageddons fitness was not in doubt, he would be a very strong bet for me. Instead we have to take the trainers word for it. The main market leaders are too high in the handicap for me, although all are respected. I looked at Redemption but cant have such a dodgy jumper at a single figure price. If he jumps soundly, he will be in the mix though. A fit Our Armageddon to win :ok

Re: Robin Cook Memorial Gold cup - Saturday A very valid point was just made in the Value Scope in The Mirror. I'll quote this: "We seem to be alone in noting the last time TANGO ROYAL carried a winnable weight, he turned over Impek, who has since dotted up at Aintree & Huntingdon. That win at Market Rasen was cosily gained with his claiming rider Tom Malone, swooping late for a 12-length success at the whopping odds of 25/1. Three unplaced runs have followed, but those defeats can be excused with TANGO ROYAL humping 11st plus on all occasions. The Pipe runner has winning form at Cheltenham, having scored at the April meeting last year at the hands of Tony McCoy and will shoulder just 10st 3lb today after Malone's claim. The helter-skelter early pace will suit his hold-up style and don't be surprised if he looms up late looking the danger to them all. Whether he actually comes up trumps in such a hot race remains to be seen, but his chance is better than the bookies would have us believe. Thereis plenty of 50/1 about, but the Tote's 66/1 tempt us to have a nibble." Well, they have convinced me to pop a few pounds on.

Slapdash tipped Sir OJ EW @ 28/1 and Brooklyn Breeze EW @ 25/1 this morning over at Sports Punter. Top stuff Slapdash. :clap :clap :clap
Thanks, DBDF. I didn't post in this thread, as the poll question was "who will win?" rather than "who is EW value?" and I didn't really expect either to win. Anyway, if I'd had to pick one of them, I'd have picked the wrong one!

Hope you had a wedge on OJ anyway :)
cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gifcry.gif The 28/1 was only available at Hills, and they've limited me to £0.00 for online horse-racing bets. And it was too ******* cold to go out to the betting shop. So I didn't have a penny on. cry.gifcry.gifcry.gif Please, don't laugh! I was on Brooklyn Breeze EW though, so I made a profit.