The State of British Racing

Newmarket pattern races today.

1:50 Group 3   £113,000 to the winner 4 runners

2:25 Group 2   £57,000                "           6 runners

3:35 Group 2   £70,000                "           6 runners

4:45 Listed.      £ 31,000               "           6 runners

Total                  £271,000                         22 runners

This is why the sport is at an all time low it is not prize money it is reluctant trainers/owners. Why?

The ground can not be used as an excuse it has been pretty consistent this year.

People will point to the fact it is a long season and different targets dictate getting horses ready for the "classics" Ascot

then training down for the autumn calendar if that is the case then this Newmarket meeting is surely

surplus to requirements and the prizemoney could be better used.

I would argue that's BS all season the Pattern races have been under subscribed even Ascot

There approximately 15,000 flat horses in this country. Of those:-

Britain: Typically, around 1,000 to 1,200 horses might participate in Pattern races annually.

Ireland: Approximately 600 to 800 horses could be involved in these races each year.

France: Around 800 to 1,000 horses are expected to run in Pattern races annually.

Fully agree .....it's not sustainable ....we are on a very slippy slope now ....sooner or later the sponsors or money will go elsewhere ....I don't know whether it's a knock on effect from the covid era or the gambling checks putting off owners from entering them or even owning anymore .....I just don't get where the wheels fell off 🤔......but 5 runners for 100,000 isn't appealing to anyone ......and I won't touch any of them from a betting perspective so that's an even bigger knock on effect if you translate that to whole betting population 

Edited by richard-westwood