Ayr 5.25 Hale End 5.00 BET VICTOR
Beverley 6.30 Variety Island 4.50 BETFAIR
Beverley 7.00 Park Street 3.10 LADBROKES
Windsor 7.20 Nogo's Dream 8.00 BETFAIR
Beverley 7.30 Elettaria 8.00 BETFAIR
Windsor 7.50 Mother Mary 10.00 BETFAIR
Beverley 8.30 Dr Rio 12.00 LADBROKES
Beverley 9.00 Dr Foster 8.00 BET VICTOR

Reading @harry_rag's post in the Monday thread wherein he mentioned the rabbit hole of formulating your own prices.

I had a fairly simple system a few years ago which might interest people or give them a starting point to come up with a method which doesn't do your head in

Firstly you do your ratings or form study and put the horses into order of how much you fancy them...... so your top rated is 1, next is 2 etc

then you simply take the betting forecast from Timeform or the Racing, Post,. ATR, Life whichever one you use. You keep the same odds as in the forecast but substitue your order of preference for their forecast

So for example if their favourite was 3/1 then your top rated becomes 3/1, if their forecast second favourite was 7/2 then your second top rated is 7/2

You're having an 'expert' forecast the shape of the betting based on number of runners, how competitive it is, all the other things that go into formulating a betting forecast ....... then you're subbing your view of the most likely winner, second, third, fourth etc for their view

If you're really keen you could always re-jig the forecast odds to a 100% book before subbing in your order of ratings

Posted in todays chat by mistake but hey ho here ya go...

Speed nursery's crap racing but...

300 ling     1 oakley boy           2 winchurch

245 muss  harswell dandy      2 go on rosie

PLACE MONEY IS BETTER THAN BUGGER ALL FOR THE EW THIEVES

Edited by Zilzalian
update

On 3/20/2024 at 9:05 PM, MCLARKE said:

Right, I'm diving straight into the deep end !

Be gentle with me, I'm an absolute beginner at this.

I was going to concentrate on the all weather but as @Trotter says, we are now probably past the peak season for the AW.

After rereading some of Nick Mordin's work he does state that the racing post standard times are valuable but compiling your own average times would produce more accurate figures. So, in for a penny, in for a pound.

I will start with Ascot (purely based on the alphabet).

I have taken data for 2022 (I am going to use 2023 as test data). For each race I have listed the date, class, distance and winning time. Most of this data I have been able to download automatically.

1. Convert the data into seconds per mile. This shows the the fastest time was in a 5 furlongs sprint and the slowest time in the Queen Alexandra Stakes over nearly 2 miles 6 furlongs. Logical so far.

2. Calculate the average time for each distance. 

2. Calculate the average winning time by distance and by class. So as an example for 6 furlongs there were 8 races at class 1 with an average time of 73.73 seconds, class 2 was 74.03 seconds and class 3 was 75.13 seconds. Convert these into seconds per mile.

3. For each race subtract the winning time from the average for that distance and class.

4. Calculate the average for that meeting. This is the going allowance for that meeting. The highest adjustment (1.53 secs / mile) was in June when the going was good to firm, the lowest adjustment (-2.85 secs / mile) was in October when the going was good to soft.

I disagree to a certain extent with Mr Mordin at this stage, he takes a subjective view of each meeting, in an example of a 6 race meeting he excludes one race because it was "probably won by an exceptional horse" and for 2 others he excludes them because he would "guess that they were slow-run affairs". That leaves him with just three races to calculate the going allowance.

5. Subtract the going allowance from the winning time.

6. Subtract the adjusted winning time from the average winning time for that distance. The highest figure was for Pyledriver in the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth stakes. Intuitively this feels right. The winning time was 149.49 secs (100.00 secs / mile), the average winning time for that distance is 102.62 secs / mile. The going adjustment for that meeting was -0.10 secs / mile, giving Pyledriver a rating of +2.72. The lowest rating was Oh This Is Us in a class 3 classified stakes with a rating of -3.87.

7. Convert the ratings to a scale. Not strictly necessary but conceptually better. The top rated horse could be given a rating of 140 and the lowest 0, possibly as a comparative to the BHB official ratings.

8. Calculate the ratings for the remaining horses in each race. I will use Nick Mordin's assumption that every fifth of a second is counted as one length.

So there it is, my starter for ten. It seems logical but I may be missing something. The next step is to calculate these numbers going back a number of years for Ascot and also for all other courses. Time consuming but doable using Excel. Hopefully the effort will be worth it.

Hi all, 

I have been producing all weather speed ratings for 15 years, using Mordin's method fronm his book. I have an excel spreadsheet which automates the data crunching process. I can get through a whole week's winter fixtures in about 2 hours. 

I am happy to share this spreadsheet for free if anyone is interested. 

n,b I get actual racetime etc data from raceform interactive, but this can be gathered manually from a number of different sites, racing post, ATR, timeform etc

45 minutes ago, Celtic Warrior said:

Hi all, 

I have been producing all weather speed ratings for 15 years, using Mordin's method fronm his book. I have an excel spreadsheet which automates the data crunching process. I can get through a whole week's winter fixtures in about 2 hours. 

n,b I get actual racetime etc data from raceform interactive, but this can be gathered manually from a number of different sites, racing post, ATR, timeform etc

This is interesting to me from the aspect i too started with mordins ideas but found a few flaws so a comparison might be useful.

SPEED NAAS 515 LISTED

1 AMAZING ATHENA       119 76 195          14/1

2 MISS LAMAI                   116 77 193           6/5

3 SHAMROCK BREEZE     116 72 188           8/1

4 MERRILY                         116 62 178           8/1

VERY TIGHT RACE BUT THE VALUE APPEARS TO BE THE TOP RATED AT 14/1

20 hours ago, Celtic Warrior said:

Hi all, 

I'd certainly be interested to see the spreasheet, always open to new ideas / methods

1 winner yesterday for a 1 point profit

Current profit 106.46 points

COURSE TIME  SELECTION ODDS  BOOKMAKER PLACES 
Catterick 2.40 Cugini 12.00 BETFAIR  
Catterick 3.40 Owt For Nowt 16.00 BET VICTOR  
Lingfield 3.50 Theatrically 12.00 BETFAIR  
Catterick 4.10 Langholm 7.00 BET VICTOR 4
Catterick 4.40 Prince Maxi 2.75 BETFAIR  
Salisbury 6.00 Letter Of The Law 18.00 LADBROKES 4
Salisbury 7.40 Under Curfew 14.00 BETFAIR  
Leicester 7.50 Madame De Sevigne 4.50 BETFAIR  
Salisbury 8.10 Cavalry Call 9.00 BETFAIR  
Leicester 8.20 High Violet 6.50 BETFAIR  

A couple of 2yo pattern races today worth having a dabble in. (2 iffy favs imo)

315 sand

1. Alla Stella            118 54 172      5/1

2. Flaming Stone    118 42 160      15/8

3. The Terminus     117+ 44 161+  8/1 (value)

650 leop

1. Beckman              134 85 219      3/1  

2. Hotazhell              126 82 208      7/2

3. Scorthy Champ    117 45 162      8/1

Personally i will be backing The Terminus and Beckman singles and a doobul

few rfc singles and rfc dooble

COURSE TIME  SELECTION ODDS  BOOKMAKER
Doncaster 2.00 Thapa VC 5.50 BETFAIR
Sandown 2.10 Spring Bloom 4.50 BET VICTOR
Sandown 2.40 Pantile Warrior 7.00 BETFAIR
Doncaster 3.05 Kings Merchant 4.25 LADBROKES
Sandown 3.15 Alla Stella 6.00 LADBROKES
Sandown 3.50 Spaceport 4.50 BETFAIR
Doncaster 4.15 Eranthis 14.00 LADBROKES
Sandown 4.20 Enrico Caruso 7.00 BETFAIR
Yarmouth 5.30 Dream Harder 5.50 QUINNBET
Yarmouth 6.00 Hover On The Wind 12.00 BETFAIR
Newbury 6.15 Absolute Queen 7.00 BETFAIR
Yarmouth 6.30 Royal Velvet 9.00 BETFAIR
Yarmouth 7.00 Love Billy Boy 4.50 BETFAIR
Yarmouth 7.30 Tropical Island 3.00 BETFAIR

I need to start backing these selections or stop looking at the thread! :loon

Otherwise it’s almost like I’m sat here wanting the “inevitable” correction to kick in, not out of malice but to justify my faith in the laws of probability.

But, then again, if there’s one thing that’s almost certain to curtail your good fortune it’s me putting money on your selections. Damned if I do… :eyes

10 hours ago, MCLARKE said:

Best day so far today with 5 winners from 14 selections at 12.00, 10.70, 8.82, 8.29 and 17/4 for a profit of 30 points

Now past the 150 mark

78 wins from 359 runs, profit 155.43

Next time you have 4/5 winners can you let us know which ones beforehand so I can bang then in a lucky 15/31 

1 hour ago, harry_rag said:

I need to start backing these selections or stop looking at the thread! :loon

Otherwise it’s almost like I’m sat here wanting the “inevitable” correction to kick in, not out of malice but to justify my faith in the laws of probability.

But, then again, if there’s one thing that’s almost certain to curtail your good fortune it’s me putting money on your selections. Damned if I do… :eyes

I am also waiting for the correction, a return of 43% is not sustainable with this volume of daily bets.

This is turning out to be my most profitable month ever.

12 minutes ago, MCLARKE said:

I am also waiting for the correction, a return of 43% is not sustainable with this volume of daily bets.

This is turning out to be my most profitable month ever.

I think I’ve got all your bad luck this month, my YTD profit slowly ebbing away. I’m hoping for a new season bounce in August. I’m trapped in that “missed the wedding but went to the funeral” twilight zone when it comes to the notion of following you on these.

COURSE TIME  SELECTION ODDS  BOOKMAKER PLACES 
Ascot 2.25 Attila The Honey 5.00 BETFAIR  
Thirsk 2.35 Shamal Wind 4.50 BET VICTOR  
Ascot 3.35 Hosaamm 3.50 BET VICTOR  
Thirsk 3.45 Pearl Sands 5.00 BET VICTOR  
Ascot 4.10 Miller Spirit 6.00 LADBROKES  
Thirsk 4.20 South Parade 8.50 BETFAIR  
Ascot 4.45 Apeeling 5.00 BET VICTOR  
Thirsk 4.55 Dandy Fitz 4.50 BET VICTOR  
York 5.30 Leadenhall 4.50 BET VICTOR 5
York 5.30 The Cookstown Cafu 7.50 BET VICTOR 5
York 5.30 Finbar's Lad 12.00 BET VICTOR 5