The Naps Competition 2024

I have a proposal. In light of the yearly naps competition being given monetary value and the monthly competition already having monetary value, would it not be more fair to begin each month with a negative of that month I.e. -31, -30, -28. = A £1 stake daily. i am sure that that equation can/could be put into @MCLARKE spreadsheet. This "improvement" in my opinion is fairer and makes for a more level playing field it still gives people the option of not submitting a nap (at the cost of £1) for whatever reason but levels it up for those that submit daily or most days.

As it stands now if members just submitted 15 selections a month then they are in fact banking a 16/1 or 15/1 winner when compared with someone who posts a nap daily. It's a bit more complex than that i know but for simplicity that's basically what it can come down to. I know there will be differing opinions on this but i think it needs a bit of thought and consideration what do other members think?

First thought is no, it’s a bad idea. One of the aspects of successful betting is knowing when to bet and when not to bet. It penalises those who can’t realistically bet every day due to e.g. work commitments & would be a bugger in the months when you’re away on holiday. I could countenance a suggestion that the minimum bet number could be increased beyond 15 but, in terms of your specific suggestion I’d be in the “if it ain’t broke”  camp.

25 minutes ago, harry_rag said:

First thought is no, it’s a bad idea. One of the aspects of successful betting is knowing when to bet and when not to bet. It penalises those who can’t realistically bet every day due to e.g. work commitments & would be a bugger in the months when you’re away on holiday. I could countenance a suggestion that the minimum bet number could be increased beyond 15 but, in terms of your specific suggestion I’d be in the “if it ain’t broke”  camp.

Well you would only be losing 1 point every time you didn't post Harry it was more in relation to the yearly competition where it would be possible to only have 12 x 15 bets as opposed to 12 x 30/31 bets that is quite significant. You mention "knowing when to have a bet" but we all know that most of the selections are not real bets especially towards the month end where people just chuck in whopping sp's in the hope that one sticks. The reason i didn't option the increase from 15 to ? is that surely it is fairer just to start every one off on level terms then the "knowing when to have a bet" or not has more significance. Look at it this way i and many no matter whether leading the table or not will carry on submitting until the months end. More often than not i finish bottom last (due the alphabet 🙂) now if i only had 15 bets i would finish a 3rd to half way up the table even without a winner, that's the significant bit in my reasoning.