** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **

Racing chat-sunday 24th sept

Late late selection

Churchill downs

Lady goldstar
Win
Looks hard to beat on yard debut here.
Has won last two and has beaten several of these in the process.
Only likely horse to give her a race could be
Majestic D’oro
Win

from stall 1.

lady goldstart  2nd

Majestic D’oro 3rd

Edited by Sporting Sam

On 9/24/2023 at 9:27 AM, Sporting Sam said:

I am  virtually dropping each way betting from my repertoire today.

I’ve realised that most of the books yesterday were bent. The overrounds would make an organised crime boss blush. So it is win or nothing from today. Where did the 1/4 odds go on big fields? Did we all go to sleep? 
Sure if I spot an overpriced horse at 100/1 then I may relent, but the only way to fight back against the bookmakers who are shooting fish in a barrel is to play them at their own game. If there was a national BOYCOTT on each way betting in big races until they the bookmakers returned to fairer terms ie 1/4 odds over 16 runners and better overrounds, it WOULD make a difference and if punters concentrated on WINNERS they would be in a better place anyway and bookmakers would lose millions over night. They only way to beat these guys is to play them at their own game. So starting with the big race at the curragh  and in the group one race in Germany at Baden Baden today I’m going WIN ONLY No EACH WAY. It will hurt the bookmakers and the likes of mark chapman and even Tom Segal will actually have to earn their corn and report that punters have had enough. 

John McCririck

remember him? The last journalist to take his head out of racing’s trough the gravy train that they all appear to be on today and actually say something in favour of PUNTERS. 
In B

Pointed this out to a friend recently who likes to do ew doubles on big fields  .  In the old days 16+ runners a quarter the odds now with extra places been given a fifth of the odds . ( i have asked if i write first 4 only a quarter the odds on my slip , that option is not available) .Therefore a one point ew double on two 20-1 shots ......say if they both come 4th , return is 25 points , under the old rules you would get 36 points ....... nearly 50% more .....extra places is fine but you have to take the hit  .  What i do now is back the horse to win at the odds i can get and do a tote place only as well .....at least you are getting what you are due .

On 9/26/2023 at 1:32 PM, ivans82 said:

Pointed this out to a friend recently who likes to do ew doubles on big fields  .  In the old days 16+ runners a quarter the odds now with extra places been given a fifth of the odds . ( i have asked if i write first 4 only a quarter the odds on my slip , that option is not available) .Therefore a one point ew double on two 20-1 shots ......say if they both come 4th , return is 25 points , under the old rules you would get 36 points ....... nearly 50% more .....extra places is fine but you have to take the hit  .  What i do now is back the horse to win at the odds i can get and do a tote place only as well .....at least you are getting what you are due .

I would look at it differently. may now be 1/5 the odds but a lot of bookies give extra places using  your example where as 4 places on offer  up to 6places with the added bonus of  BOG  so the 2 20/1 shot  5th or 6th 100% more  ( one in the first 4 one  5th or 6th  100% loss again for your friend)  plus if they drift you get  that,  for me i more than happy with 1/5 odds with 2 more place and bog.

Edited by Tedthewolf

2 hours ago, Tedthewolf said:

I would look at it differently. may now be 1/5 the odds but a lot of bookies give extra places using  your example where as 4 places on offer  up to 6places with the added bonus of  BOG  so the 2 20/1 shot  5th or 6thh 100% more   plus if they drift you get  that,  for me i more than happy with 1/5 odds with 2 more place and bog.

I agree, the extra places on offer provide some excellent opportunities