** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Best poker site?

Marlin

This is my first post on here, so I need to say Hello to everyone. Hello. I was wondering if anybody could help? I am trying to learn how to play Texas Holdem and I was wondering if anyone could advise me as to which they think is the best Poker site, in terms of reliability and being big enough to not disappear with my money? I have had a look at the William Hill site, because I already had an account with them, which seems to work ok most of the time, but occasionally it reminds me of the main Betfair site in the way it hangs/freezes. A site where I could play for fun at first,as I'm a complete novice at Poker, would be the ideal. :unsure

Re: Best poker site? Hi schoey :welcome to PL. At the top of the board is the sticky Poker News, but here's a link as well. http://www.punterslounge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18500 In there are links to all you should need to know. Including a basic 'How to..' guide, poker sites popular with PL members, advice from the better players, and a section on 'freerolls' which may be useful for you. I've only been playing online poker myself for about a month, and was a little unsure about taking the plunge until I heard about freerolls. These are tournaments with cash prices that cost nothing to enter. The standard varies from site to site I've found, but it is a good introduction to online poker. I've played both fun and freeroll poker, and learnt a lot more playing the latter. You may want to start with BetFred Poker. They have had 2 freeroll tournaments with very good prize money-the manchesteronline tournament and the Telegraph FF Poker tournament. The manchester was won only last week by 'our' Jamiebhoy, who won $10,000. However the Telegraph FF have 3 qualifiers per night on BetFred-it has become a bit of an obsession for us all on here to qualify for the final. My wife managed that within 1 week of starting to play poker online, so personally I'd suggest you start there. You do have to register for a real money account on these sites, but on BetFred and others you don't have to deposit a penny, although there are promotions to entice you to do so. Can't think of anything else, so I'm off to bed.

Re: Best poker site? Hi Schoey, :welcome to Punters Lounge - I think you've definitely come to the right place. Good advice from Valiant above. As you suggest, you may want to get into "playing for fun" tables to start off with - you know that you can always get a game there. Do bear in mind, that Poker is a game of bluff and risk - in "play for fun" games, where nothing is being risked, people play VERY differently. It is however a great starting point. You can certainly play like this at William Hill. Next up the ladder are freerolls - free to enter (sometimes with restrictions, but you'll find out about these when you try to register), with real cash prizes. You can therefore start trying to build up a playing fund without depositing anything!! The next step up you want to take, when you start risking entry fees, are tournaments - you get the chance for potentially big prize money with little risk. For a small stake, you can also get hours of playtime, cheaply - even if you lose. The games to make sure you steer clear of for the moment are ring games (cash games) - as a new player, that is a surefire way to lose your money very quickly. Crashes and disconnections are I'm afraid a part of online poker, however, it shouldn't happen that frequently, and it sounds like you're having more problems than are "normal". Betfair have had their fair share of problems, however in general, I would expect to be able to play a whole evening without a disconnection...... I don't play William Hill a lot, but understand that to be a very reliable platform. I think most of the sites you hear talked about regularly on here are big enough to not have to worry too much about "running off with your money". Even less to worry about if you're playing freerolls (which would definitely be recommended at start up) - because in this case they won't have your money - you'll hopefully be taking their money. You may have to "jump through a few hoops" before making your first withdrawal - to prove your age and identity, but once this is done, future transactions should be easy. At this stage, there is no reason or need to risk any of your own hard earned cash - as you develop through the game, you may choose to do that in the future, but for the moment, there really is no need. Which sites? Well I have no loyalty - I have loads installed on my machine and chase the interesting offers/freerolls - and have lost count of the number of rooms installed......sometimes, you won't be able to join up with a room if you are with a different brand fromn the same network, however this is the exception rather than the rule.... I liked BETFRED as a beginner for the frequent evening freerolls, however this room has become a lot more popular recently (and they have reduced their freeroll prize money), so the "value" is less than it used to be, however it may be a good starting point for you...... It isn't the most popular software on here, but I don't mind it (except for their choice of carpet in the game room ... ugh) You'll find everyone here really friendly and helpful - so any questions - fire away. At the top you'll see a thread especially for newbie questions. I can't wish you luck, because I'm jinxed ;) , but hope it goes well, and let us know how you get on.......

Re: Best poker site? :welcome to the Punters Lounge. The advice already given in the thread covers most aspects. As GAF says install different software to match your own needs. I have 6 different poker sites on my machine at the minute - depends on what game you want to play i.e cash, STT, MTT, freeroll. As you are new to the game though William Hill isn't a bad choice to get to know the basics (I think thats what I started out with). Most sites do offer play money tables but in my opinion these are a waste of time as people do not play them as they would real money so best to stick to either freerolls or low entry tourneys ($5 or less). Of course there is always the PL league games on Laddies as well, although you may not feel confident to play for $11 at the minute, the learning experience will be great for you and it is a relaxed atmosphere with good banter so hopefully see you there sometime. Anyway good luck to you:ok