Racing Chat - Thursday 13th July

The first day of three kicks off the Newmarket July Meeting and our good friends at ITV have the first four races to show us. Three Group races and a devilishly tricky three year old sprint handicap is today’s fayre with the ground officially good to firm although the clerk of the course has been throwing (wrongly in my opinion) plenty of water on the track over the last week so there will be no surprise if the ground rides a bit slower than that. Here are my thoughts on the best bets to beat the bookies.

Newmarket 13:50
Only six have declared for this 1M 5F Group 3 Bahrain Trophy Stakes for three year old colts and geldings and very much a stepping stone to the final classic of the season, the St Leger at Doncaster in September.
It’s hard to make a case for the two outsiders in Think First (well held by Saint George) and Land Legend (has 20lb officially to find with the top rated Tower Of London) but the other four are covered only by 5lb on official ratings and all have claims.
Charlie Appleby is in much better form now than at Royal Ascot and saddles Castle Way who looked good when winning on his re-appearance at the Rowley Mile course back in May in listed company over 10F. He’s stepping up 3F today and has stamina to prove whilst William Haggas’s lightly raced Klondike bumped into the current Leger favourite Gregory in a listed company at Goodwood, going down by only 3L and should appreciate stepping up another quarter of a mile here. A first time tongue tie is a bit worrying mind.
Andrew Balding’s Qatar Racing owned Saint George stepped up from his Doncaster handicap victory to run the aforementioned Gregory to a length and a half in the group 2 Queens Vase at Royal Ascot last month and that is arguably the best piece of form on offer here and looks sure to go well.
The one I like though has to be the Irish challenger Tower Of London who is jointly rated the top here with Saint George. Trained by Aidan O’Brien he followed up a 1M 4F Leopardstown listed victory in June by winning the Ulster Derby 16 days later by 4 1/4L when ridden by promising 7lb claiming apprentice Killian Henessey. He’s been well supported since for the St Leger and this looks the acid test as to whether he’s up to that grade. He’s my pick with Ryan Moore getting back on board.

TOWER OF LONDON 2 points win @ 9/4 bet365

Newmarket 14:25
It’s the two year olds up next with nine juveniles going to post for the Group 2 Kingdom Of Bahrain July Stakes run over 6F for colts and geldings only.
There’s no doubt that Richard Fahey’s Malc is the form horse having finished runner up in the Group 2 Norfolk Stakes at Royal Ascot last month when a 66/1 shot with the re-opposing Thunder Blue 2 3/4L behind in 5th. Both are stepping up in distance today and can be competitive.
There are however five last time out winners who are all stepping up in grade and need close scrutiny. Clive Cox’s Jasour was an odds on winner at Nottingham, form which has worked out ok with the third winning since. William Haggas’s Lake Forest won on his debut at Haydock but there are mixed messages from that race with the runner up beaten since but the third winning since.
Aidan O’Brien brings over his Curragh maiden winner Mountain Bear who is very hard to assess without being privy to any market support and we also have Haydock debut winner Purosangue trained by Andrew Balding. He came home 4L to the good that day but I’m not sure it was much of a race with the second and third both being well beaten since.
That brigs us to my fancy in the 18/1 Windsor winner Chief Mankato trained by Charlie Hills who has enlisted the services of William Buick today. He came home 3/4L to the good from Inquisitively (3rd since in the Windsor Castle Stakes) with subsequent wins for the 3rd and 4th. A 48,000 gns yearling he was thought highly enough to be sent to the Coventry Stakes at Royal Ascot only to being withdraw when getting fractious in the stalls. That is a concern but he looks the value bet here each way with Buick in the plate.

CHIEF MANKATO 1 point each way @ 15/2 William Hill 1/5th 123

Newmarket 15:00
Easily the most competitive of the four races shown on terrestrial TV today is this seventeen runner class 2 6f Heritage Handicap for three year olds only.
The key piece of form for this race came at York 26 days ago in the Oakmere Homes Supporting MacMillan Sprint Handicap in which Stuart William’s Quinault beat Kevin Ryan’s Washington Heights by a head with Jane Chapple-Hyam’s Mill Stream 1 1/4L back in third, Clive Cox’s Eminency a further 1 1/2L back in 4th with Redemption Time back in 6th and Rousing Encore (gelded since) behind and held. At the revised weights a case can be made for all of the top four with preference just for Washington Heights who is now a pound better off for a head and has the assistance of Ryan Moore for the first time which must be a big bonus.
Others who come into the reckoning are top weight Desert Cop, one of two contenders here for trainer Andrew Balding alongside Frankess, who takes a drop in class having finished 6th in the Group 1 Commonwealth Cup last time and actually chased home current July Cup favourite Shaquille previously at Newbury. Despite a big weight he can run well.
Tajalla is an interesting runner, trained by Roger Varian who’s making his handicap debut today stepping up to 6F for the first time. Bottom weight Be Frank is chasing a hat trick of wins, he’s 5lb higher than his Windsor win 24 days ago (3rd won since) and is another with claims.
A very tight 6F handicap where I’ll chance Washington Heights to turn the tables on Quinault and Desert Cop who has the assistance of 3lb claiming Harry Davies on board.

WASHINGTON HEIGHTS 1 point each way @ 6/1 BetVictor 1/5th 12345
DESERT COP 1 point each way @ 12/1 bet365 1/5 12345

Newmarket 15:35
A very disappointing turn out of just four (what is it with these middle distance Group races, what with only four in the Eclipse?) for this Group 2 Princess Of Wales’s Stakes.
Two of the four runners are trained by Charlie Appleby with the James Doyle on board Global Storm who is the only one of the quartet to shoulder a penalty, 3lb for a Grade 2 win at Meydan in March. He’s a decent enough sort but is rated officially a stone behind his stable companion Adayar who will take plenty of beating today.
Officially rated 10lb, 14lb and 15lb superior to his three rivals he’s going to have to run below form to get beaten here. The Epsom Derby and King George VI and Queen Elizabeth II Stakes winner over 12F from 2021, he’s been kept to 10F in only four starts in the last two seasons but steps up in trip here which surely will suit. Not disgraced at Royal Ascot when third to the runaway winner Mostahdaf in the Prince Of Wales Stakes its hard to see him getting beaten here with William Buick doing the steering.
Best of the rest may well be the John & Thady Gosden runner Israr in the hands of Jim Crowley for his retained owners Shadwell Estate Company Ltd. Runner up at York in listed company last time this will be the highest grade of race he’s competed in.
Grand Alliance completes the quartet and even with Ryan Moore on top looks out of his depth.
Adayar should be winning this but is too short for a single bet.

All prices available at time of writing.

The Speed Angle Newmarket 13th July

150  1 Tower of London           2/1

225  1 Thunder blue                12/1

2 Toca Madera                 40/1

300   1 Be Frank                        12/1

2 Tajalla                             8/1

410   1 Jumeirah Breeze            ?? (Bookies can't be bothered pricing, as i type) 12/1

445   1 Embesto                          ?? (Bookies can't be bothered pricing, as i type) top speed figure should be fav imho and its 5/1

Edited by Zilzalian
Price update

richard-westwood

Just looking ahead to thurs 

Bet365 hcap newm 

Computer has narrowed from 20 to 4 runners 

Quinalt    8.6  8.2

Washington heights  8.5  7/1 

Millstream     8.4  8/1 

Animate      8.4  17.5 

Very very close between these 4 ....top 3 are weighted to blanket finish whereas animate ran 2nd to a potentially decent sort on all weather recently and if can transfer that to turf could spring a,surprise .....could try and separate but can make a profit with all 4 running for me ....5pt win each 

1 hour ago, Tedthewolf said:

richard-westwood

Bet365 hcap newm 

Quinalt    8.6  8.2

Millstream     8.4  8/1 

Animate      8.4  17.5 

Very very close between these 4 ....top 3 are weighted to blanket finish whereas animate ran 2nd to a potentially decent sort on all weather recently and if can transfer that to turf could spring a,surprise .....could try and separate but can make a profit with all 4 running for me ....5pt win each 

Thankyou i waS gonna do that in a bit lol 😆 

11 hours ago, The Brigadier said:
The first day of three kicks off the Newmarket July Meeting and our good friends at ITV have the first four races to show us. Three Group races and a devilishly tricky three year old sprint handicap is today’s fayre with the ground officially good to firm although the clerk of the course has been throwing (wrongly in my opinion) plenty of water on the track over the last week so there will be no surprise if the ground rides a bit slower than that. Here are my thoughts on the best bets to beat the bookies.

Wish it was soft as i fancy one in the last tomorrow but won't touch it on good to firm.

Dark Thirty                       -           3 00 New/           1/40th of a  pt ew    40/1          -    3rd

Rousing Encore               -           3 00 New/           1/40th of a pt ew     40/1

Tooca Madera                 -           2 25 New             1/40th of a pt ew     38/1          -   3rd

P/L   + 163.45 pt

Edited by black rabbit
results

New 1.50      Tower of London   5/6            &         Saint George   4/1 

Don  2.00      Chief Craftsman    10/1 EW     Won 11/1        &      Toutatis    11/1 EW     4th  12/1        4 places   betfair

New  2.25     Malc     15/4         &          Thunder Blue  16/1 EW                  3 places

Don 2.35       Storm Fox   15/2 EW             &           Parr Fire        16/1  EW              4 places

New   3.00    Be Frank  8/1 EW         &     Ferrous   28/1 EW        &     Executive Decision    20/1 EW     5th   40/1              5 places   betfair

New   4.10    Ornellaia      3/1            &      Jumeirah Breeze     14/1  EW

1 winner 🏆 and 2 EW places soooo did ok 👍💷

Edited by Brahmin

Bahrain stakes.

Gregory’s boys for me.

Tower of London is all the rage has been very heavily backed in anticipation of a good run. Two horses have form at Goodwood and Royal Ascot both finishing behind Gregory.

I’m  not sure about the going at HQ but Suffolk has experienced heavy rain in the night which may or may not have reached the west of the county. The west from Bury st Edmunds onwards has its own sub tropical microclimate and is always warmer  and sometimes drier than the rest of the county.

In any case the taps will have been on.

Having watched the Ulster Derby, Tower hacked up off an ordinary pace set by a stablemate. Visually impressive, but ordinary form in my book. ( also to be noted Tower of London was ridden by a seven pound claimer to beat an 83 rated horse from England whose last race was a class five)

Both times he has encountered anything less than good he has been well out the back and given August Rodin’s and meditate’s flops here on soft I can’t have him. He was 5th of 5 in September on soft behind the Epsom derby winner and 6th of 8 on heavy going.

He could hack up again but I’ve found plenty of negatives ( mainly in my own mind) to doubt him.

my two are the impressive 

Saint George 

win

klondike 

each way

Edited by sporting sam

3pts e/w 2.35 Doncaster STONE OF DESTINY 16/1  4places BOG- Can't not back this horse today looks a massive price getting on in years  but former portland winner  lowest race he has run in and  lowest mark i  would not be surprised if this horse bounced back to a bit of form and  went really close today. 6pts invested.

16 minutes ago, Tedthewolf said:

3pts e/w 2.35 Doncaster STONE OF DESTINY 16/1  4places BOG- Can't not back this horse today looks a massive price getting on in years  but former portland winner  lowest race he has run in and  lowest mark i  would not be surprised if this horse bounced back to a bit of form and  went really close today. 6pts invested.

Haven't had time to rate this one but gotta agree with you ted 👍....hasn't has much running  on turf over 5.5 to 6f on good which I think is his optimum....last  3 runs at dist  achieved 80 81 90 and runs off 70 today (+10) ....undoubtedly very well treated but can he run his race on day ??....or has,age got him at 8 ?....we shall see ..  worth a speculative ew bet at 16/1 .....5pt ew ....good luck 

33 minutes ago, Tedthewolf said:

yes ted  considered a bet on him { you've made my mind up } going to follow ye in with a few sheckels  / i shall also be intrested in how Belsito runs in this 

as i expect him to win shortly 

On 7/12/2023 at 9:53 AM, Zilzalian said:

The Speed Angle Newmarket 13th July

150  1 Tower of London           2/1

225  1 Thunder blue                12/1

2 Toca Madera                 40/1

300   1 Be Frank                        12/1

2 Tajalla                             8/1

410   1 Jumeirah Breeze            ?? (Bookies can't be bothered pricing, as i type) 12/1

445   1 Embesto                          ?? (Bookies can't be bothered pricing, as i type) top speed figure should be fav imho and its 5/1

Thunder blue well backed but a bit disappointing  managed to get 66/1 Toca Madera ew so alls good

Not too bad, i managed to make a profit out of this lot even given some were a bit of a let down.

Doubled up Toca Madera 66/1with my nap Spanish Breeze 66/1 and 2 losers on an ew lucky 15

Edited by Zilzalian
update

53 minutes ago, richard-westwood said:

Haven't had time to rate this one but gotta agree with you ted 👍....hasn't has much running  on turf over 5.5 to 6f on good which I think is his optimum....last  3 runs at dist  achieved 80 81 90 and runs off 70 today (+10) ....undoubtedly very well treated but can he run his race on day ??....or has,age got him at 8 ?....we shall see ..  worth a speculative ew bet at 16/1 .....5pt ew ....good luck 

Ew 4th .....Nice spot ted 👌 he ran well 

Edited by richard-westwood

On 7/12/2023 at 1:22 PM, Tedthewolf said:

richard-westwood

Bet365 hcap newm 

Quinalt    8.6  8.2

Millstream     8.4  8/1 

Animate      8.4  17.5 

Quinalt 1st ...mill 2nd ...Washington 4th +21.00 profit 

1 hour ago, black rabbit said:

yes ted  considered a bet on him { you've made my mind up } going to follow ye in with a few sheckels  / i shall also be intrested in how Belsito runs in this 

as i expect him to win shortly 

6 hours ago, black rabbit said:

Dark Thirty                       -           3 00 New/           1/40th of a  pt ew    40/1          -    3rd

Rousing Encore               -           3 00 New/           1/40th of a pt ew     40/1

Tooca Madera                 -           2 25 New             1/40th of a pt ew     38/1          -   3rd

P/L   + 163.45 pt

EW returns on  2   of them        and  i've       had   1/40th of a pt on     -      Darkness  12/1    in the    5 20  

EW returns on  2   of them        and  i've       had   1/40th of a pt on     -      Darkness  12/1    in the    5 20  

"Darkness"       in the lucky last 😃

Doncaster 6pm
Bird of play
Win
Average stall data points to stall 6.

based on first three runners home last year total 19 , average 6.33333
Winning stall last year, stall 6 as well.
Non runner drawn alongside.
Hung right in straight when narrowly denied last time over course and distance. Weighted to win.