Championship Predictions > May 7th

champratings.jpg

Here are the odds and ratings for the final round of regular season league matches in the Championship. The majority of business has been sorted with Fulham and Bournemouth earning automatic promotion, Nottingham Forest and Huddersfield confirming their places in the play-offs, and the three relegation spots being taken by Barnsley, Peterborough, and Derby. Two play-off spots remain up for grabs ahead of these last games but who will take them out of Sheffield United, Luton, Middlesbrough, and Millwall? Give us your predictions below! :ok

Derby vs Cardiff

This torrid season comes to an end for both of these two teams on Saturday with a 12:30pm BST kick-off between relegated Derby and an out-of-form Cardiff at Pride Park. The home side will be spending next season in League 1 and still face an uncertain financial future but can they end on a high against a visiting side who simply just want to start building for the new season in the Championship.

Derby put up a valiant display in their efforts to stay up this season despite a 21-points deduction for going into administration and financial irregularities (tip of the hat to Mel Morris!). The Rams are currently in 22nd place and 7 points adrift of safety so they ended up falling some way short of their target. Head coach Wayne Rooney has stated his intentions to stay with the club as they prepare for next season in the third tier but will he be drawn to a higher profile job if the opportunity comes his way? The 2-0 win away to Blackpool brought a disappointing run of 3 losses from the previous 4 league games to an end. It's just 1 loss from their last 5 league games at home so they will be hoping they can end this season on a high note.

Cardiff had another mixed bag performance in the 1-1 draw at home to Birmingham last weekend. It was a game I fancied us to win and had we played in the first half like we did in the second half then I think we could've done it. Unfortunately, the first half performance was symptomatic of us at our worst this season. Static movement off the ball, poor tracking of runners, lack of communication, and a distinct absence of creativity or clinical finishing in the final third. In the end, we were unlucky not to take all 3 points such was the improved in effort and movement. I'm expecting more of the same here. A group of players who will either not be here next season or don't want to get injured just days before their summer holiday. Who knows what team Steve Morison will send out? I'd like to see Rubin Colwill and Ollie Denham get some more minutes. It's no win in the last 5 league games now including losing our last 3 away league games on the spin so I'm not feeling overly optimistic!

Really, this is the sort of game Cardiff should be looking to win but Derby are no longer shackled by the pressure of trying to stay up and they'll want to return the favour of their fans' support during this difficult campaign with a win. I just think Morison's increased level of experimentation is causing our performances and results to suffer. He should've picked his 11 starters that he wants involved next season and kept them consistent. Mixing and matching disables any consistency and it's showing. I fully anticipate Derby to win this one.

Derby to Win @ 2.32 with VBet

Total Goals Scored Over 2.5 @ 1.88 with VBet

Shame Forest didn't beat Bournemouth...not least because I would have then strongly fancied Bournemouth and Forest to win their last games! As it is I would expect Forest to rest as many as possible, which could make Hull a bet at 3.75/1 (waiting for our line up before placing my bet).

Boro and Luton both need to win and should be able to, the double is worth a go at better than 6/4.

Derby and Cardiff will just want the season to end, home advantage could be crucial and I agree with Stevie that Derby should win at 13/10.

Will put all 4 selections in an acca, which pays around 25/1.