** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Ashes 3rd Test

Hope this helps somebody ;) Right, on to the 3rd test @ Old Trafford overall tests played: 69, won batting first 25, second 11, tied 0, drawn 33 avg.runs per wkt:30.88, 1) 34.8, 2) 28.4, 3) 29.9, 4) 27.9. run rate 2.68 overall toss won & batted: 61, won batting first 24, second 11, drawn 26 overall toss won & fielded: 8, won batting first 1, drawn 7 England played: 68, won 21, lost 14, drawn 33. England won toss & batted: 30, winning 13, losing 3 England won toss & fielded: 3, winning 0, losing 1 England v Australia: 27m, Eng 7, Aus 7, drawn 13. won batting first 11, second 3. (Australia played SA in a test here in 1912 which they won) Tests in August: 10, won batting first 2, second 1, drawn 7 Matches with follow ons: 16, won batting first 12, drawn 4 Matches won by an innings: 11, batting first 8, second 3 Matches won defending a target: 13 Matches won chasing a target: 12, batting first 4, second 8 Tests in 2000's: 4, won batting first 2, second 1, drawn 1 Tests in 1990's: 8, won batting first 2, second 1, drawn 5 Englands batting avg: 33.18, bowling 28.94 Australias batting avg: 27.88, bowling 30.09 Tests Eng v Aus: 1997. Aus 235 & 395-8, Eng 162 & 200 1993. Aus 289 & 432-5, Eng 210 & 332 1989. Eng 260 & 264, Aus 447 & 81-1 1985. draw 370ovs Recent tests: 2004. WI 395-9 & 165, Eng 330 & 231-3 2002. Eng 512 & 50-0, SL 253 & 308 2001. Pak 403 & 323, Eng 357 & 261 2000. Draw 357 ovs 1999. Draw 337 ovs 1998. Draw 452 ovs. SA 552-5, eng 183 & 369-9 Previous draws: 1994. 310 ovs 1992. 303 ovs 1990. 450 ovs 1985. Eng v Aus 370 ovs Not much personal batting records tbh, but Vaughan hit 120 v Pakistan in 2001, & Tresco 117 in the same match. Hoggard, in 3 matches, has 15 wkts - 411 runs @ 27.40 Now, spinners......its taken that this ground has produced spin the last few years, & Laker took his 19 wickets here in the 1950's, but it is also known as a ground that produces reverse swing, & England tend to control that much better than the Aussies. Concentrating on the spinners, here are the recent stats of spinners @ Old Trafford: 2004. Giles: 1st inns) 15-0-67-0. 2nd) 22-6-43-3 2002. Muralitharan: only inns) 60-20-137-3. Giles: 1st) 23-3-64-1. 2nd) 24-4-62-4 2001. Saqlain Mushtaq: 1st) 30-7-80-2. 2nd) 47-20-74-4 1997. Warne: 1st) 30-14-48-6. 2nd) 30.4-8-63-3 1993. Warne: 1st) 24-10-51-4. 2nd) 49-26-86-4 Tuffnell 1st) 28-5-78-2. 2nd) 37-4-112-1. Such 1st) 33.3-9-67-6. 2nd) 31-6-78-2. So Warne, in 2 tests, has 17 wickets for 248 runs @ 14.58 News tonight is that Brett Lee has been admitted to hospital in B'ham with something like a knee infection, but it hasnt been confirmed that he will miss the test...& this is before the decision on Mcgrath is made. If Lee is out either Tait will play (debut?) or Watson will be called up, but more likely is MacGill will play as a second spinner...& with the stats above its pretty important that England bat first & therefore not last. This is slightly more irrelevant as we dont appear to have many 5th days anymore, but this is Manchester & it will probably rain The forecast so far is good as far as I can see but that may well change, but if layers of the draw are being put off by the high proportion of drawn matches look at the overs used in those matches, only 2 have been full matches (1990 & 1998) & the others had all lost around 100 overs play. Bearing in mind the way the series has gone so far & the excellence of the bowling attacks on both sides (even if no McGrath & Lee, they've still got Warne !!) & neither side tends to bat more than a day if that, probably 100 overs would have to be lost for a draw, & so far the weather doesnt suggest that. Although there has been a 91 & a 90, there has yet to be a ton on either side, & with recent scores it stands a good chance it won't happen here either. England are around the 9/4 mark but I've just took Gamebookers @ 5/2, they have Australia @ Evs whereas Bet365 & stan james go just odds on, but Hills did have 11/10 if still available.

Ashes - 3rd Test. Hi everyone. As a person who takes a passing interest in cricket, and who has never betted on it before, I think them to win the third test is a great price at 2.28 on betfair. I think that the media are making too much out of the idea of 'momentum' - surely any 'momentum' england have will at least equal Aussie determination to shut us up. Surely the aussies are going to be desperate to have another go at us. Speaking in football terms for instance, after we lost our opening game of euro 2004 in the last minute we were desperate to have another go at france "we'll beat them in the final, etc..." Australia are too awesome a side to fold under the pressure of english 'momentum'. They matched us for everything we had in the last test, and but for two runs, they would have won it. They were odds on to win in the previous tests (1.83 and lower, i think) and objectively should be that now. I also heard on the radio that Old Trafford favours the spinner, and australia have the best in the world, as the last test shows. There - by tipping australia i have hopefully fulfilled my patriotic duty in jinxing them. Toranaga. PS its a great to find a betting forum with such a great atmosphere.

Re: Ashes 3rd Test

I also heard on the radio that Old Trafford favours the spinner, and australia have the best in the world, as the last test shows.
Old Trafford does historically favour spinners, but the wicket is like "walking on concrete" I heard quoted today, so Warne will struggle on that for a while, likely to suit the fast bowlers much more for at least 2 days.

Re: Ashes 3rd Test Brett Lees a doubt for the test, just found this on the BBC Sport website

Australian bowler Lee in hospital
_40668390_leenew203.jpg Lee could join McGrath on the sidelines at Old Trafford
Australian fast bowler Brett Lee has been admitted to hospital with a suspected knee infection and is a doubt for the third Ashes Test on Thursday. Lee experienced swelling and discomfort in his knee and was taken to hospital on Monday for tests and treatment. He took four second-innings wickets at Edgbaston and almost batted Australia to victory with an unbeaten 43. Australia are already set to be without Glenn McGrath at Old Trafford while he recovers from torn ankle ligaments. Old Trafford traditionally favours spin and Australia could choose to replace Lee with Stuart MacGill. Other options would be all-rounder Shane Watson or pace bowler Shaun Tait.

Re: Ashes 3rd Test Dont think theres rain forecast yet, & most of those draws that have occurred have lost 100 overs....& more to the point those draws that went the distance havent had these bowling attacks....neither side can bat for more than a day against each others bowlers so far so simple arithmetic says 1 day can be lost, & still a result.

Dont think theres rain forecast yet' date=' & most of those draws that have occurred have lost 100 overs....& more to the point those draws that went the distance havent had these bowling attacks....neither side can bat for more than a day against each others bowlers so far so simple arithmetic says 1 day can be lost, & still a result.[/quote'] Sorry Swoops, my comments were meant to be very tongue in cheek!

Re: Ashes 3rd Test 3rd Test should pan out like this... 1. England lose toss, Punter puts us in. :rollin 2. Post 520 against a depleted attack. Bell 140 :loon 3. Fletcher or Giles (or someone) has a serious word with Vaughan to get him to bowl. Seriously, if Eng win toss, should win. (possibly comfortably if Lee is out).

Re: Ashes 3rd Test Lee out won't matter too much. MacGill will play either way. Just makes the selection of which quick to drop a little easier. ...oh, and btw, you guys are forgetting the one man that handed England victory in the last test....Mr. Billy Bowden, and his amazing ideas on what constitutes (or not obviously!) LBW. (Not to mention dead balls...ie. the Warne 'dead ball' whicle batting where he clearly played a shot...and even if somehow it wasn't a shot, he was clearly trying to avoid the ball!) Maybe he should try to concentrate on the game a little more rather than 'entertaining' with his histrionics. Should be fined by ICC and never allowed to umpire at test level again.

Re: Ashes 3rd Test I would appear that the decisions even themselves out over the course of each test and series not just LBW decisions. You look at court mehind decisions aswell. Both teams get lucky and then appear to be given out and then you get a decision going against you when there was no nick. A bit like football i guess with penalty decisions some you get some you dont.

Re: Ashes 3rd Test well sky says brett lee spends a 2nd night in hospital....i bet all us england fans are gutted:lol i read he had "a graze above his knee" which became infected.... yeah right....course he did..... how many people spend 2 nights in hospital, on intravenous antibiotics, with a septic knee? this is england, not botswana.:unsure unless there's some b/s flying around, it must be bigtime serious and he surely won't play this test.... darren lehmann just said glenn mcgrath is doubtful for the 4th test.... whereas most have been optimistic about him being fit for that..... gutted again.:D

Old Trafford does historically favour spinners' date=' but the wicket is like "walking on concrete" I heard quoted today, so Warne will struggle on that for a while, likely to suit the fast bowlers much more for at least 2 days.[/quote'] I have also heard from a very good source, even Warne is going to find it difficult to get anything out of this pitch for the first couple of days. With Lee & McGrath possibly missing out England seems like the bet. Of course the weather could play a factor; lastest figures I heard were 25% chance of rain on first day, but the % is set to decrease further into the week.

Re: Ashes 3rd Test sounds like it's all b/s...... ffs. ref sporting life website......gilchrist is saying brett lee is gonna play.... and mcgrath ain't out of the third test yet.... i can't believe we get such crap journalism about the aussies... jeez... you only have to shag the bird next door thesedays and it makes the news of the world... absolute bollox.:@

Lee out won't matter too much. MacGill will play either way. Just makes the selection of which quick to drop a little easier. ...oh, and btw, you guys are forgetting the one man that handed England victory in the last test....Mr. Billy Bowden, and his amazing ideas on what constitutes (or not obviously!) LBW. (Not to mention dead balls...ie. the Warne 'dead ball' whicle batting where he clearly played a shot...and even if somehow it wasn't a shot, he was clearly trying to avoid the ball!) Maybe he should try to concentrate on the game a little more rather than 'entertaining' with his histrionics. Should be fined by ICC and never allowed to umpire at test level again.
Don't forget that Pietersen and Bell were given out caught in England's second innings when they hadn't hit it. But for that, England could've won by 300 runs :lol

Re: Ashes 3rd Test And he strikes again!!!! (Not that it mattered at all, but ffs!) This man is THE worst umpire in International cricket. Just horrible. Missing (or misjudging) catches on the glove/elbow/arm is one thing, but turning down BLATANT LBW shouts?? You have to wonder what is going through the man's mind. Is he humming Dave Dobbin songs to himself or something! ;)

Re: Ashes 3rd Test Not nice is it Taza ;) I totally sympathise old chap...see weve had it for 17 years so we know where your coming from........where are you coming from btw :unsure youre not an Aussie are you ?? :lol ....only joking mate :ok Hayden wasnt out btw but playing back to that he was asking for it really Bowden turned a few down today tbh, I do sympathise in a way, its massive pressure on everybody as theirs a feeling that its the 'series of our time'.......... ....fcuk, I sound like Gandalf :rollin

....fcuk, I sound like Gandalf :rollin
There's only one wizzard in this series, swooperman, and he just hapens to be NO on 78 :D Which reminds me, I'm sure someone here bought Warne's series runs? Great work! :clap :ok

• 3 weeks later...