** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Hunter Chase - 5.10 Bangor

This amazing run since the start of the season is going to end at some point I would imagine but Master Baker was yet another winner. As per the Taunton win she sat near the back with him and came with his challenge as they entered the straight. He jumped really well and although the 2nd got to him Master Baker never really looked like he was going to be beaten. Cheltenham Hunter Chase night and the Stratford Foxhunters are the targets for him. Southfield Vic ran a much better race than at Fontwell and I would imagine he will find an opportunity to win at some point. Forgotten Gold didn't run too badly in 3rd and again it was an improvement on the Doncaster effort. I thought Sam Red ran fairly well as well given he was off the bridle for a fair way and he might have a chance of winning a Hunter Chase if found the right race. I thought Maxwell gave Village Vic a poor ride. He went pretty quick and it wasn't much of a surprise that he had little left down the home straight. You would think he will come on for that and I wouldn't completely rule out him winning this term.

A small field for Bangor's Hunter Chase, but I am looking forward to watching the replay when I wake up as we have 4 good horses taking each other on. Optimised is currently the favourite and he has looked an improved horse this season. He was really well back for the Intermediate Final at Cheltenham last season and he travelled well into the race before looking like he didn't stay. I saw him run at Chaddesley Corbett over Christmas and he was well beaten by Risk A Fine that day, but he has won both starts since at Bangor's point track. In the first of them he beat stablemate Bears Affair which is a good effort and then he bolted up earlier in the month. Garde Ville also won on that card and Optimised clocked a time 3 seconds quicker whilst carrying 12lbs more. Looking at the last circuit sectionals as well though the race Garde Ville won just looks like it was a slowly run race so the times might be a bit mis-leading this time around. Clearly connections think a lot of him as they could have found easier Hunter Chases than this so he has to be respected.

Unioniste is Maxwell's contender in this Hunter Chase and it is interesting to read that the Racing Post spotlight writer thinks this is calmer waters compared to his Taunton race from last time, but I don't think it really is because this is a good race. He did pretty well Hunter Chasing last season until the ground was too quick at Wincanton when he was beaten in a poor race. The ground will suit here and you would imagine he will come on for the Taunton run. Clearly though they thought he might be well handicapped, but think he isn't now. If he won it wouldn't surprise me, but I am happy to take him on.

Galway Jack is a horse I have really struggled to get right since he came back to Hunter Chasing a couple of years ago. If I backed him he lost and if I took him on he won. He will make the running, but he is 14 now and you have to think he might just need the run first up in a tough race especially as I have always thought he is better over a shorter trip.

That leaves us with Garde Ville who there was stupid prices about early doors. The John Corbett Cup win is looking decent form with Master Baker who fell at the last when still just in front. I thought he ran well first up this season at Ludlow behind Arthur's Secret when 4th and then as mentioned above he won at Bangor in a point last time. A slowly run race wouldn't have suited him either as stamina is his strong point so he did well to win. I suspect he will continue to improve as the season goes on as well. Soft ground is ideal and with Galway Jack going to make the running he should have pace to run at. He is also the only horse to beat Hazel Hill since that horse came to the UK.

I make Garde Ville the main selection here as I think he is still progressive and he looks to have everything in his favour. I think he is over priced at 5/1 and I would still be happy to take the 7/2 that most bookies are going. I am going to cover Optimised as well. He is clearly highly thought of by connections who know the time of day and given he looks to have progressed again this season I want him onside.

Garde Ville 1.5pts @ 5/1 with Paddy Power and Betfair

Optimised 1pt @ 9/4 with Paddy Power and Betfair