** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

Reduced odds for ties (Golf - top 5 finish)

bawsak

Quick question if anyone can help on bets for top 5 finishes in golf bets. I understand that if you back a golfer for top 5 and they finish joint 5th the you are paid a reduced amount depending on the number of players tied. 

I had £20 on with William Hill at weekend on McIlroy top 5 at 5/2. He came joint 5th with 3 others so 4 players so I get quarter winnings. I’m thinking that means 1/4 the £50 winnings (£12.50) plus £20 stake back (so £32.50 total) But no they have paid me 1/4 of winnings plus stake combined (£70) to give me returns of £17.50. So I have essentially lost £2.50 on a winning bet!

I contacted them and have said the payout is correct. Does anyone know if there are standard rules for this or is it down to individual bookies. Not going to make a big deal over £15 but it will definitely stop me betting on these markets again. 

Edited by bawsak
Clarification of title.

• 4 weeks later...

That's entirely correct and entirely fair. 4 players tied for 5th place so they effectively shared places 5, 6, 7, and 8. Only one of those places was a winning one for the purpose of your bet so a quarter of your stake wins at the odds and three quarters is lost. That's how it should be settled by any bookie unless they have unusual rules, i.e. the standard dead heat rules for most sports.

The bookie hasn't gotten away with anything as they've paid out on 4 selections to a quarter of the stakes.