** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Handicap system

Only paper-trialing for now but lets see how this goes.

Rules are pretty simple: All handicap races with 5 runners or more. Selections are based on the top horses, carrying more weight because theoretically they're supposed to be the best animals.

Selection is the one out of the top three or four (depending on runners and place terms) and one of the top has to be 2 or three runners clear of the others in the general betting, at the time of posting. (You'll get the gist and I'll try and explain with the first few runners.

Will be a lot of selections so we'll just see how we go with 1 point win on everything BOG.

Feel free to join in and comment and chip away...

Silverkode 3.30 Curragh 3-1 (10 runners = 3 places. Number 3 and numbers 1 & 2 are 5th fav or bigger)

Miss Power 4.05 Curragh 3-1 (9 runners = 3 places. Number 2 and numbers 1 & 3 are also 5th fav and bigger)

Zeftan 4.40 Curragh 5-1 (12 runners = 3 places. Number 1 and numbers 2 & 3 are both outsiders) 

Remarkable 3.00 Ascot (28 runners = 6 places. Number 4 and numbers, 1, 2, 3, 5 & 6 are all 8th in the betting or bigger) HOPE YOU GET THE IDEA WITH THE OTHERS...

Classic Seniority 4.45 Ascot 13-2

Mutadaffeq 5.20 Ascot 10-1

Original Choice 3.10 Chester 5-2

Desert Dream 5.25 Chester 13-2

Company Asset 5.00 York 9-2

Essenaitch 5.15 Salisbury 15-2

Esprit De Corps 8.15 Salisbury 10-3

Live Dangerously 8.00 Lingfield 15-2

12 points staked 

I remember a book I read many, many years ago called 'Always Back Winners' ..... so long ago that I can't remember who wrote it

But the 'system' was based on backing top weighted horses at certain tracks which the author believed did not inconvenience horses carrying more weight. Typically these would be turning tracks with sharp bends which slow the field down and allow weight carriers to keep up with the lower weighted horses without using up too much energy, which they can then use to unleash their superior class in the finish

I suppose the basic idea would work under any conditions in which the pace of the race is likely to be slow, ......... so maybe small fields, soft ground, lack of front runners etc

14 minutes ago, gbettle said:

Trotter,

I read the same ages ago. I think it's a system by Peter May, maybe found in his 2013 book, "In Search of the Winning System".

No, I've had a google since posting and it was 'Always Back Winners' by Stewart Simpson

Seems to be out of print now but copies turn up on Ebay and Amazon

It would have been way back in the 1980s that I read it !

Just one winner on day 1 so currently -9 ponts, but in hindsight, it might have been worth giving the day a miss as the ground changed considerably that day due to the rains. Ah well, onwards and upwards. Didn't check yesterday, sorry, as took a day away and went walking and drinking with the other half. Good day!

Reinforced 2.00 Ayr 13-2

Aprovado 4.30 Ayr 3-1

Pour Lamour 8.00 Wolverhampton 11-2