The Open Championship (July 20th -23rd)

BillyHills

The Open Championship

Royal Birkdale

The Open this year goes back to Royal Birkdale for the first time since Padraig Harrington won here in 2008. I'm fortunate enough to live just a 5 minute drive from the course and I can tell you the town is buzzing at the moment. All sorts of side events will be going on in and around Southport and we even have had the Town hall gardens transformed into a mini interactive golf centre.

The weather forecast is pretty good as far as I can see, little rain expected and light winds. For those not local, Southport sits in its own micro climate, we have no snow, the sea can be two miles out and its always better than the weather forecast says. Royal Birkdale is on the coast but don'y be fooled into thinking you need to be able to play the wind here. I walk the dogs on Birkdale sands two or three times a week and its rarely windy, most of the course is a bit further in land and shielded by the dunes so I wouldn't expect any problems on that score. Just watch it now we will have a hurricane or something!!
I'm going on Tuesday to have a look round during practise so will report anything about the course thats worthwhile.

The course has not changed much over the years, it juts doesn't have the space to extend much and the actual yardage is about the same as it was in 2008. As long as you keep it straight enough I reckon the top players will find this test easy enough and I personally expect a double figure under par winning total.

Local player Tommy Fleetwood will be a popular winner, born and bred in the town he has just won the French Open so is in terrific form. The local bookies will go bust if he pulls it off and its not out of the question. He will know the course well.

It looks a wide open event and all the big names will fancy their chances, Dustin Johnson is the early favourite along with Jordon Spieth. Defending champion Henrik Stenson and the consistent Justin Rose will also be popular in the betting along with the enigmatic Rory McIlroy, if he's in the mood he could win this thing but it's a big IF.

Latest Odds with Bet365

Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 12.25.52.png

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.