** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** ELO Ratings are now back **

£100 to £100,000 Glory Hunt (34% Complete)

Torque

Williams is three frames from victory at 7-2 up but I'm not counting my chickens yet. After Ding blew a 5-1 lead in a best of 11 when I was on him a few months ago it's possible that Robertson could come back. That said, with Williams now 50 to 1 on to win he should get the job done, unless his level drops dramatically and Robertson's improves dramatically from what I saw today.

I'm sticking with Nadal for the next bet. Klizan is talented and in form and he might take a set as he has done in previous meetings with Nadal, but I can't see him ending Nadal's winning streak on clay - particularly as this is practically his home tournament and he needs to win the title here for an eleventh time to retain his place at the top of the rankings.

Bet 28. Nadal to beat Klizan at 1.04

Both Hoffenheim and Fulham were winners, but I wasn't mad about either. I've passed on a lot of winners, which is to be expected given that I'm looking to back big favourites either to win or not to lose, but also a few losers too - most recently Man Utd against West Brom and Milan against Benevento. I've tried to only take things that I really like and I've tried to bear in mind that if I don't really like anything the best thing to do is wait for something better that I do like. I'll carry on like this and see how far it takes me.

Tomorrow's (big!)shortlist -

Wolves v Sheffield Wednesday (3pm)

Liverpool v Stoke (12.30pm)

Boreham Wood v Guiseley (12.30pm)

Lyon v Nantes (4pm)

Monaco v Amiens (7pm)

Bayer Leverkusen v Stuttgart (5.30pm)

AS Roma v Chievo (5pm)

FC Emmen v Jong Utrecht (6.45pm)

Benfica v Tondela (6.15pm)

Dunfermline v Dumbarton (3pm)

Raith v Alloa (3pm)

Espanyol v Las Palmas (12pm)

Real Madrid v Leganes (5.30pm)

Let's see about ruling out a few of the above matches so that the list is shorter and more manageable. From the early kick-offs, I'm probably going to leave Liverpool as I expect them to make changes with the second leg of the Champions League tie against Roma in mind. They'll probably still win, but team changes and a possible eye on a future match are usually enough for me to pass and move on to something else - that said, let's see what team gets put out.

A lack of information means I'm not touching Boreham Wood - a quick look shows they're not in the best of form anyway. The other early match is Espanyol against Las Palmas, but there's no way I'm siding with a team just above the relegation places even if their opposition have been relegated.

As for the 3pm kick-offs, I'm not backing Wolves as with promotion confirmed they don't need to win and could take their foot off the pedal as a result, plus Sheffield Wednesday have had some good results lately. I'm also not backing Raith as I can't see why they're so short and I'm not backing Dunfermline because their opponents have beaten the league leaders away from home already this season and that's put me off.

Next up is the late afternoon matches, starting with Lyon against Nantes. This looks like it could be an option, as Lyon score so many compared to Nantes who don't. I'm not sure about Roma and Real Madrid, for the same reason as Liverpool in that they have Europe to think about - I'll wait for the team news in those matches but they could be possibilities. I'll be passing on Leverkusen as they've lost their last two and Stuttgart are in decent form.

The evening matches start with Benfica against Tondela, and this is tempting as the home side score plenty and don't let many in and are hosting a side that have trouble hitting the net. I'd still be happier laying rather than backing though, and ahead of the match the price to lay is likely to be prohibitive so I might look at this in-play. I'm putting a line straight through Emmen - their home form is dreadful and I'm always wary of reserve teams in the Dutch second tier. The final match on my shortlist is Monaco and I expect I'll be leaving them alone as their form has dipped recently whilst Amiens seem to be going in the opposite direction.

So after all that I'm left with the following matches to look at again -

Liverpool v Stoke (12.30pm)

Lyon v Nantes (4pm)

AS Roma v Chievo (5pm)

Real Madrid v Leganes (5.30pm)

Benfica v Tondela (6.15pm)

I've just seen the Real team and they've made wholesale changes such that the price on them has drifted markedly. For that reason I won't be backing them which means the only other option today is Benfica unless I take something in-play.

Out for 30. That was a strange game. I didn't watch the first half but the stats showed PSG had all the possession but Guingamp were creating all the chances so it was fair enough when they took a half-time lead. I did watch most of the second half and when Guingamp went 2-0 up I thought there was no chance of PSG winning. When they got back to 2-2 maybe they could have got a winner but in reality they'd left themselves with too much to do.

I think what this losing bet shows is that trying to do something like this really is a lottery. I backed PSG because even though they had wrapped up the title they still had the league points record to go for and they named a strong side similar to the one that had put seven past Monaco without reply in their last home game. With hindsight because the result didn't matter maybe I should have left well alone, but then over in Germany where Bayern are in the same situation they named at least one reserve team player in their team yesterday amongst a host of other changes and still ran out comfortable winners.

Anyway, another attempt bites the dust. Will I be back? Probably :ok

• 3 weeks later...