** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

'the Long List For Places'

Something I tried today - backing horses to place only with the tote pool. In the end, I had 32 selections, 10 pts each to place - 19 placed & returned 399 pts - a profit of 79 pts. I'm not going to after-event by naming them, but I am keen to see if my selection methods were a fluke. For now, I am not going to mention any methods, merely name the selections, although the process is similar to my small field / distance/ forecast thread. So with a starting bank of zero (level - no loss or profit) here goes; SATURDAY 25TH JUNE Chester 2.30 Scooby Dude 3.05 Aylmer Road 4.10 Sea Hunter 4.45 Ionian Spring 5.15 Handsome Cross Curragh 2.10 Soviet Treat 3.10 Hanicor 3.40 Alexander Goldrun 4.15 Swiss Cottage 4.45 Mkuzi Doncaster 7.15 Outer Hebrides 7.45 Langford 8.50 Isa'af 9.20 Saxon Lil Lingfield 08.05 Distant Cousin 08.35 Seasons Estates 09.05 Fly More Newcastle 2.10 Soldier's Tale 2.40 Wyatt Earp 3.15 Odiham 3.45 Go Padero 4.50 Opening Ceremony 5.20 Danceinthevalley Newmarket 2.25 Dixie Belle 2.55 Algharb 3.30 Le Vie Dei Colori 4.35 Musicanna 5.05 Lucid Dreams Windsor 2.45 Lateen Sails 3.20 Bonus 3.55 Glistening 4.30 Full Spate 5.00 Shamrock Bay 33 x 10 PTS place only with the tote. 330 PTS STAKED.

Re: 'the Long List For Places' Where are you placing these bets? Ladbrokes have just introduced a tote price guide where you can see what the tote price is operating at so you know roughly what the return will be. At the moment they only have it for the win pool but they intend to do it for the place pool too soon. I back horses to place too sometimes but only on Betfair as you know what price you're getting. At the moment using the tote is too random. A 2/1 fav could return 1.4 to place or could return 1.1. At least once Ladbrokes bring in the place pool youll know what price you're looking at.

Re: 'the Long List For Places' Regardless of where the bet is placed, the tote is the tote, so the return will be the same? I will stick with the tote for now, but will consider going to betfair in due course. Need about 50% to place to break even, I suspect. UPDATE: Having tried to set up a betfair account, they want id for my debit card :wall - I don't fancy funding my 'investments' with credit cards. Oh well, back to the tote.

Re: 'the Long List For Places'

Dont know mate. I just know that Laddies are the first highstreet bookies to offer this service.
There you go again WFTE, promoting the enemy, some may think your turning into a real company man :rollin . Speaking seriously though, so far from what I've noticed when the tote guide is better people bet on the tote, and the final dividend is often worse, and when the tote guide is worse everybody bets at the shop prices, and the dividend often ends up better!

Regardless of where the bet is placed, the tote is the tote, so the return will be the same?
The return will be the same but personally Id prefer knowing what odds Im getting. Dont wanna back a 4/1 to place if it only returns at 1.1.
There you go again WFTE, promoting the enemy, some may think your turning into a real company man
Not a chance in hell! I will though put a word forward for them when I think its something that benefits the punter.

Not a chance in hell! I will though put a word forward for them when I think its something that benefits the punter.
Yeah I know mate, only joking. But if I have to tell one more punter you can't take a tote price i'm gonna go mad!

SATURDAY 25TH JUNE Chester 2.30 Scooby Dude nowhere :@ 3.05 Aylmer Road nowhere :@ 4.10 Sea Hunter 1st returned 21.00 pts :clap 4.45 Ionian Spring 1st returned 15.00 pts :clap 5.15 Handsome Cross 1st returned 18.00 pts :clap Curragh 2.10 Soviet Treat nowhere :@ 3.10 Hanicor nowhere :@ 3.40 Alexander Goldrun 1st returned 16.00 pts :clap 4.15 Swiss Cottage nowhere :@ 4.45 Mkuzi 1st returned 13.00 pts :clap Doncaster 7.15 Outer Hebrides nowhere :@ 7.45 Langford 1st returned 18.00 pts :clap 8.50 Isa'af nowhere :@ 9.20 Saxon Lil Lingfield 8.05 Distant Cousin 1st returned 16.00 pts :clap 8.35 Seasons Estates nowhere :@ 9.05 Fly More 3rd returned 28.00 pts :clap Newcastle 2.10 Soldier's Tale 1st returned 14.00 pts :clap 2.40 Wyatt Earp nowhere :@ 3.15 Odiham nowhere :@ 3.45 Go Padero nowhere :@ 4.50 Opening Ceremony nowhere :@ 5.20 Danceinthevalley nowhere :@ Newmarket 2.25 Dixie Belle 1st returned 12.00 pts :clap 2.55 Algharb nowhere :@ 3.30 Le Vie Dei Colori nowhere :@ 4.35 Musicanna 1st returned 15.00 pts :clap 5.05 Lucid Dreams 3rd returned 14.00 pts :clap Windsor 2.45 Lateen Sails nowhere :@ 3.20 Bonus nowhere :@ 3.55 Glistening nowhere :@ 4.30 Full Spate 3rd returned 17.00 pts :clap 5.00 Shamrock Bay nowhere :@ 33 x 10 PTS place only with the tote. 330 PTS STAKED.
227 pts returned. :spank

Re: 'the Long List For Places' 227 pts returned...... not the best of strike rates (15/33) & most of my placers were also winners (11 of them :wall) As a comparison, if these had been backed 10 pts win only the returns would have been 353.75.:o Looking at the returns, the moral of the story is to use Betfair as advised I think.