Curragh - 20th March

Very good card at the Curragh to start the flat season. First two races I've nothing but in the 3.15 I think Shanghai Beauty is a good bet. Had a good 2 year old campaign which probably got her a poor mark but she gradually improved throughout the year culminating in a good 3rd on her handicap debut. She's been dropped 4lbs for that surprisingly, will love the ground and Condon has his runners pretty straight first time out so 14/1 looks good. Laganore was really impressive at Leopardstown but might need this and drops down 2f in trip which doesn't look ideal. Another horse from that race Club Wexford is interesting. He lost 8L at the start but stayed on strongly and was beaten just over 3L in the end. Generously dropped 5lbs he looks on a good mark but again the drop 2f in trip doesn't look ideal.

In the 3.50 we've got a competitive looking Group 3. Devonshire sets the standard but I think she might be exposed to more improving types. Queen Catrine is also quite smart but I reckon the ground will be too slow for her. Joailliere went off 10/1 in the 1000 Guineas on her 2nd start and the ground is ideal but she's got to step up on that and isn't much of a price although she's drifting this morning. Fluff can be taken on first time out for O'Brien so I like Glamorous Approach at 7/1. This one won a Listed race last time at Newmarket over 10f and has been talked up as an Oaks filly. She drops to a mile here but I remember Aidan saying soft ground at the Curragh is more like 10f which might be a bit of an exaggeration but it is certainly a stiff test of stamina. Bolger has his string ready first time out and has two others in here who will hopefully set a nice gallop.

The 4.25 is a cracking handicap. Awtaad won a good looking maiden but he beat a first time out O'Brien horse who may have needed it and is short enough in a good race when he might come on for the run. Theodorico has classic entries and Bolger says he didn't like the cheekpieces last time when he narrowly won a handicap at Leopardstown. He was smashed in that day and is interesting but I just preferred Weld's Party Angel. She only won a Dundalk maiden last time but it has worked out well and she looks like she could be better than 76. We all know about Weld this time of year and 12/1 looks decent.

In the Lincoln I like Onenightidreamed. Won this last year and improved again to win a Group 3. Probably not the best Group 3 and a bit concerning that he was only seen twice last year as a 4 year old but his trainer says he has to have it soft which might be the reason. He's still progressive and is 3 wins from 5 so looks a good play at a double figure price.

The last maiden is another cracking race but the Weld horse looks short enough with some really promising types behind him in the betting.

Selections:

3.15 - Shanghai Beauty @ 14/1 William Hill

3.50 - Glamorous Approach @ 7/1 William Hill

4.25 - Party Angel @ 14/1 Betvictor

4.55 - Onenightidreamed e/w @ 11/1 Betvictor

woah........this has crept up under the radar !

I wasn't aware of this until just now

A few years ago when I used to concentrate on the higher end Flat races I used to get unfeasibly excited by the Park Express Stakes (group 3)........I'd make big notes on all the runners, past trends, think about how to record info about the race and the horses that ran in it..........with the intention of doing the same for all group races

That used to last two or three weeks until I realised how much time and work was involved, then I'd give up..........:lol

This thread has more posts. To see them, you'll need to sign up or sign in.