Tennis : Nottingham Open/Ordina Open

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis : Nottingham Open/Ordina Open 2 doubles for Thursday's matches... 30pts Schalken-Philippoussis (1.95 @ Ladbrokes) :( Both matches from Ordina Open. Schalken leads Sanguinetti 3-0 on h2h, having beaten the Italian on all 3 surfaces(grass, clay and hardcourt). Schalken has a career grasscourt W-L record that reads 46-29 while Sanguinetti's reads a woeful 17-20. In addition, Schalken has also made the quarter-finals at Wimbledon in each of the last 3 years - contrast that with Sanguinetti's 1st Round exits in the same period. Enough said, just don't see how Schalken could be this big - all that before taking further into consideration he's playing with the crowd behind him. :lol The only reservation I have when it comes to backing The Scud is very often his fitness. However, given what he's shown over the last 2 weeks, it hardly looks he's troubled by any injury at the moment. Philippoussis has simply been awesome since the grasscourt season begain at Queen's. His defeat to Roddick at Queen's was no shame and so long as he continues with his rich vein of form, I can't see Garcia-Lopez troubling him too much. Afterall, this is a matchup between someone who made made 3 QF and 1 F appearance at Wimbledon over the last 6 years against someone whose pedigree on grass is unproven. 20pts Gasquet-Mirnyi (2.10 @ Bet365) :D Although Gasquet's only meeting with Srichaphan was a 6-0, 6-2 win on clay in Monte Carlo a month back, I can't see today's grasscourt encounter being any different. The Thai tosser is playing some of the worst thrash I could possibly expect to see - even by his horrendous standards - and there's just no chance of him defending his title this year on the basis of what I've seen so far. Gasquet should hammer him and take this in straight sets. Similarly, Carlsen has no reason to be here and I just can't wait for him to get run over by Mirnyi. Carlsen is only here on the basis of seeing off an unheralded Mankad(in 3 sets!) and a Slovakian mug - Hrbaty - who can't even stand on grass, nevermind play on the stuff. While Carlsen could count on a big serve as his strength, he'd meet his match in Mirnyi whose serve is just as big, if not bigger. Mirnyi is simply in scintillating form at the moment and if he keeps that up, he'll certainly be one to watch out for next week. Cheers & Good Luck! :ok Starting Bank : 100.00 pts Current Bank : 133.75 pts Profits/Losses : +33.75 pts

Re: Tennis : Nottingham Open/Ordina Open I like the lok of Ancic vs. Arthurs as well, to maybe add in to one of Ed's doubles above. Arthurs has been uselss on Grass the last 2 years, whereas Ancic has a semi at Wimbledon last year, and is the last man to beat Federer on the surface. One word of caution is that Arthurs thrashed Ancic on hard a couple of month ago...

Re: Tennis : Nottingham Open/Ordina Open Edtkh, i am planning to have a big bet on Max M. But then i remember that i backed him against Carlsen in an final some months ago. And actually Carlsen won that final. How do you, or anyone, rate that in order to back Max today. Thanks in advance

Re: Tennis : Nottingham Open/Ordina Open That defeat was on hard - grass courts are a completely different prospect. Carlsen's grass court record since 2001 is something like 13w14L, which is pretty poor, and is only 5-8 since 2003 inclusive. (Both not counting this tournament.) Having said that, since '98 Mirnyi's grasss record is 15-19, which is terrbile. He did take a set of Hewitt the other week though so he's playing bewtter on the stuff this year. I would say Mirnyi is a safish bet - but I have the strong opinion that rarely is anything a safe bet in tennis, and it's about getting more wrong than right in the long run.

Re: Tennis : Nottingham Open/Ordina Open

Edtkh, i am planning to have a big bet on Max M. But then i remember that i backed him against Carlsen in an final some months ago. And actually Carlsen won that final. How do you, or anyone, rate that in order to back Max today. Thanks in advance
Carlsen beat Mirnyi in straight sets(I must stress it was a close match with just a break in each set) at the start of the year in Memphis. Honestly, this is not a match to read too much into stats as both have very similar pedigree on grass. Having said that, I don't think Mirnyi's grasscourt record does his ability justice as he's a far better player than the records would suggest - mind, Mirnyi did make the 4th Round at Wimbledon once. More importantly, Mirnyi is in terrific form at the moment as I mentioned last week(partly helped by the fact he won the men's doubles at Roland Garros) and he certainly looks better prepared for this year's grasscourt season than he was over the last few years. Carlsen has been very ordinary at best and so long as Mirnyi reproduces the sort of form he has shown since the start of Queen's, he should win this. Hope that helps. ;)

Unlucky with Schalken Ed. I've herad that he's not been playing to his full potential really, serving weakly etc due to some sort of shoulder injury?
I don't know anything about that, tyreeq, but taking nothing away from Sanguinetti. Although Schalken was surprisingly poor on his serve(there were a couple of games in the first set where he had to serve break points), I don't think you could give him too much credit after clawing his way back from a 5-2 deficit in the tiebreak to tie it at 6-6 only to lose the set. :( That's another problem with betting on matches a week before the Slams - players don't tend to ride it through the momeny they know they're carrying the slightest injuries like in T Johansson's case. Having said that, it's going to be another indifferent day for me so long as Mirnyi wins... ;)

Re: Tennis : Nottingham Open/Ordina Open Follow Ed's total game plan and you will go broke, sift out ed's best tips and you retire early. How about a bit of analysis of the women's game. Why did Maursemo get soundly beat this week and why did anyone on this forum not predict that? Some of you are unbeataable on your knowldege of tennis and we need some analysis of the women's game on this site. I have come to the view that nothing, nothing, beats tennis as a medium for profitable betting and women's tennis is the best of the lot.

Re: Tennis : Nottingham Open/Ordina Open :rollin @ Rumlesen. Anyway, a couple of decent bets for Friday. 25pts Kohlschreiber-Philippoussis (2.72 @ Ladbrokes) :( Kohlschreiber at evens is utter madness - there's no reason for him to be this big, IMO. In fact, I'd even have Kohlschreiber as a 2/3 favourite if I were the one setting the books. Personally, I think one reason behind the price is too much being taken into consideration for the fact Hernych beat Coria(a top 10 player, but hardly a top 30 on grass) in the last round. A quick look at the results of the two players over the last 2 weeks. Halle : Kohlschreiber beat J Johansson 7-6, 6-1. Kohlschreiber beat YT Wang 6-2, 5-7, 7-6 Kohlschreiber lost to Federer 6-3, 6-4. Queen's : Hernych beat Clement 6-4, 2-6, 6-2. Hernych lost to Ancic 6-4, 6-4. s'Hertogenbosch : Hernych beat van Scheppingen 7-6, 6-4. Hernych beat Coria 6-3, 6-4. Kohlschreiber beat JR Lisnard 6-1, 7-6 Kohlschreiber beat Soderling 6-4, 4-6, 7-6. With the exception of J R Lisnard, Kohlschreiber has performed reasonably well against a host of very decent grasscourt players. Contrast that with Hernych and it's easy to see the difference in the quality of performances given the respective quality of opposition faced by both players. Quite simply, on that basis, I can't make any sense of Kohlschreiber coming into this one being rated as an underdog, albeit a slight one. Also, Philippoussis should see off Sanguinetti at a canter - it's not hard to see who's the better grasscourt player here, not to mention who has got the bigger serve as well. Philippoussis has only lost one match so far on grass and that came against Roddick at Queen's which was reasonable - it's hard to see past The Scud for this one, really. 5pts Burgsmuller-Ancic (3.20 @ Ladbrokes) :( Ancic should see off Bjorkman at a canter - pretty much self-explanatory. Now, I know I said Burgsmuller was crap on this surface at the start of the week against Wawrinka, but given the results he has churned out since, he's probably in the form of his life on grass. Burgsmuller has beaten Wawrinka and Robredo to get here. While Wawrinka and Robredo are no world beaters on grass, you've still got to feel Burgsmuller has been playing better tennis than Llodra this week given the Frenchman's struggles against Mathieu and Gremelmayr(both of which were close 3 setters). Quite simply, I've seen nothing to suggest Llodra is that big a favourite in this one and it'd hardly be the biggest surprise of Burgsmuller pulls one off. Cheers & Good Luck! :ok Starting Bank : 100.00 pts Current Bank : 125.75 pts Profits/Losses : +25.75 pts

Follow Ed's total game plan and you will go broke, sift out ed's best tips and you retire early. How about a bit of analysis of the women's game. Why did Maursemo get soundly beat this week and why did anyone on this forum not predict that? Some of you are unbeataable on your knowldege of tennis and we need some analysis of the women's game on this site. I have come to the view that nothing, nothing, beats tennis as a medium for profitable betting and women's tennis is the best of the lot.
:rollin Before you even begin dabbling in the women's game, you need a mind like theirs to make sense of what goes on in their game...

Re: Tennis : Nottingham Open/Ordina Open Guys, I had a bet yesterday with Vinci against Myskina in the Ladies... And it came in - Top Draw !!!! Myskina has family problems and therefore a lack of form.... but she nearly gave me a scare by winning four on the spin. Thankfully i got the result. Any other matches appeal to anyone ? This looks a certain win for Clijsters today... any thoughts ?

Does any1 know any live scoring sites to follow the Hastings Direct Int. Champs ? livescore eurosport seem a little slow !
Check this out : http://www.hastingsdirecttennis.com/ - click on the 'Launch the Live Scoreboard here'' link. Be forewarned though - it sucks as much as the Nottingham Open's live scoreboard...

Re: Tennis : Nottingham Open/Ordina Open Just another bet that I thought might be worth a look... 15pts O Rochus to beat Mirnyi (2.14 @ Ladbrokes) :( Even though Mirnyi leads Rochus 2-0 on h2h, it must be noted none of those matches took place on grasscourt which is surprisingly the diminutive Belgian's favourite surface - or at least, that's what the stats would suggest. Having watched Karlovic over the last 2 weeks, I think it's fair to say anyone capable of breaking Karlovic's serve(and Rochus did so with aplomb taking a 5-0 lead in the first set tiebreak) has got to be worth a serious look and that clearly is the case today. Having said that, if Rochus could live with Karlovic's serves, Mirnyi should have little to trouble him - even though he's been in fine form himself - and I think anything above evens is just fantastic value for a returner as good as Rochus. Cheers & Good Luck! :ok Starting Bank : 100.00 pts Current Bank : 125.75 pts Profits/Losses : +25.75 pts

Re: Tennis : Nottingham Open/Ordina Open Right, not the best of days there after some crazy stuff going on... Will probably wait till Wimbledon before I place another tennis wager. Starting Bank : 100.00 pts Current Bank : 80.75 pts Profits/Losses : -19.25 pts

Re: Tennis : Nottingham Open/Ordina Open Ed- I don't mean this in a bad way, because you put some some great tips a lot of the time, but I have noticed over the last month that I've been reasding your tips that whenever they go wrong you say "there was some crazy happenings today/this week". It's quite amusing! By the way, all the favourites won today, so not that "crazy"! Honestly, just joking around, don't take offence....

Ed- I don't mean this in a bad way, because you put some some great tips a lot of the time, but I have noticed over the last month that I've been reasding your tips that whenever they go wrong you say "there was some crazy happenings today/this week". It's quite amusing! By the way, all the favourites won today, so not that "crazy"! Honestly, just joking around, don't take offence....
:rollin You're probably right looking strictly at the results, but given the way some of the matches went, they certainly left more questions than answers. At least, that's what I'd like to think as I just can't imagine such nonsense happening during the Slams themselves or we'd be in for watching 2 weeks of tragedy. For instance, Kohlschreiber was up a break at 5-4 and 6-5 against Hernych in the first set yet couldn't serve out to win the set(not exactly stuff you expect from the men's game, aye?); Ancic dropping a set to all and sundry; O Rochus could cope with Karlovic's serves, yet couldn't handle Mirnyi who played an identical game with a less powerful serve; Burgsmuller having the run of his life on grass; Schalken playing like a ****** against Sanguinetti(totally against the what his records would suggest). Guess that's the sort of freak stuff you'd expect a week before the Slams but not during the Slams itself... Having said that, the only rub of the green I've had this week was Karlovic grinding past Ljubicic - even that can't really be considered lucky break if you consider the fact Karlovic really should have won that more comfortably instead of shading a third set tiebreak. :lol That said, I'd tip Gasquet to claim his first ATP title knowing Mirnyi's curse in the finals, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Mirnyi goes on to win this now given the freak results the last fortnight have been churning out. :tongue2

Re: Tennis : Nottingham Open/Ordina Open Just as I thought I'd leave things alone till Wimbledon, I chanced upon what I feel is perhaps the bet of the week... :tongue2 30pts Philippoussis-Ancic (1.93 @ William Hill) :( Philippoussis is simply overpriced against Llodra - The Scud's serve has proved peerless all week and quite simply, I don't see how Llodra is going to live with that at all given the way he has struggled against lesser players all week. Similarly, Ancic should see off Hernych - even if it requires 3 sets - as he is just a class above his Czech opponent and is pretty much self-explanatory. Starting Bank : 100.00 pts Current Bank : 80.75 pts Profits/Losses : -19.25 pts