Rounders...........

Big Andy

anybody play them ?, and more importantly had any success ? I`ve never really looked into them until today but I`m quite intruiged and can`t wait to have a go. Basically, for anybody like me who`s still new to this stuff, from what I gather, it`s a series of 5, 10 seater STT`s where you can win seats to the next level. The number of seats up for grabs varies from round to round and some rounds offer the chances of replays if you finish out of the main qualifying seats. In a nutshell, for a $5 buy in at Round 1, if you manage to get into the final, round 5 game, and happen to win it we`re talking $3k :eek with runners up prizes of $1.2k, $800 and $500. Now that seems like some pretty hefty prize money to me and it doesn`t tie you down as much as a MTT as from what I gather, you`re not plonked into the next game/round that you`ve qualified for right away, basically you can join any next round game at any time you wish. Has anybody got any advice for me on these, am I wrong in anything i`ve said ? Cheers guys :ok

Re: Rounders........... I've only played these once, I'm wary of richer and better players buying in at the final stage for easy pickings against us lesser players. If you could only play in the next round by finishing in the top 3 in a previous level I would certainly think about playing them more, but I think we are just a shoal of herring waiting to be gobbled up by the big sharks out there.

Re: Rounders........... Yes I've had some success on these. Saw a post about them on the betfair forum. I looked into them and now play them quite a lot. The structure at bet365 is as follows level 1 $5 + 50c - top 2 qualify for level 2 level 2 $25 + $2.50 - top 2 qualify for level 3 - 3rd qualifies for another level 2 level 3 $112.50 + $11.25 - top 4 qualify for level 4 - 5th qualifies for level 2 level 4 $275 + $27.50 - top 5 qualify for level 5 level 5 $550 + $55 - 1st $3000 2nd $1200 3rd $800 4th $500 Basically you can join in at any level and if you win through that level you dont have to play the next level. You can use the tokens you get to play the same level again and build your tokens up. I'd advise playing level 3. All you need to do is play pretty tight, and move in in postion when the blinds are big. With level 3 you get nearly a 6-4 return on your money to come in top 4. The standard is not that great at this level so you should be aim to get in more than 50% of the time. I've found this easily achievable. I build up quite a few tokens (more than the level 5 buy in) and then play a level 5. If I collect great, if I don't then I use the tokens I've got left to build them back up mostly at level 3. And so on I wouldnt advise playing level 4s as you only get an even money return for top 5 and the standard is higher. A few unlucky scenarios here can wipe out your bank sharpish.

Re: Rounders........... I have played them at ladbrokes.. With luck as well. :lol I played the 4 level thing.. 3$ first round. 10$ second round. 30$ third round. and 100$ fourth and final round. with 500, 300,200$ in prize money.. For a lousy 3$ i got 300$ back. :loon In the beginning i got through from 3$ to next level every single time i played.. And on the 10$ i got through aprox 70% of the time.. When i won access to 30$ i played the 10$ 3 more times instead.. And usely ended up with at least 2 chances on 30$.. Went to the final 2 times.. first time i got 4place. :o but second time i got 2place.. and won 300$... I think its okay.. and bit of fun, trying win so much money for so little buy in.. / cains

Re: Rounders........... Ive been playing these at Ladbrokes ( they call em Ladders but its the same thing). 4 levels, 3 go through. The top level is HARSHLY difficult as many good players buy straight in here, but I ajust for this by deloping a overly simple Pre-Flop all in strategy. They hate it cos they can outplay me if all my money is already in. Sometimes I get lucky.... Deposited about $20 at the start of the month, and have had 2x1st, 2x2nd, and 2x3rd. $2000 for the month. Nice :)

Re: Rounders........... I was bored so just had a go at a Level 1 game and ended up winning it. I am too tired to go for a Level 2 game tonight but will have a go tomorrow as I have a day off from work. As soon as that fourth guy was eliminated the other two players didn't give a shit and wanted to lose their chips and finish the game but me, being the competitive type, continued playing properly :rollin Do I just enter a Level 2 game now? I cannot see anything in my Ladbrokes account that says I have a token that will let me in to the next round.

Re: Rounders........... I came 3rd in a Level 4 last night for $200. Bit annoyed with myself because I feel I shoulda had second. I was the low man on chips. Blinds were big. I hadnt seen anything resembling a hand for ages and was dealt 22. I thought "right, this is it, now or never". The huge stack moved all in, the second stack called........and i folded !!!!! I dont know what came over me. I mean sure if the second stack looses i come second by folding but once youve made the money, 2nd is worth $100 more, first is worth $300 more. I shoulda called for a chance to tripple up and win! I mean heck I was gonna move in if i was raised - so why did i bottle it when they both went all in before me? Sure enough they both had AX didnt make a pair and a 2 came on the river anyway. Annoyed with myself really. Still $200 is great none the less.

Re: Rounders........... I don't think you had any choice but to fold Dave. The only way you would have been any better than 50-50 was if they had the same hand (assuming it wasn't a pair). Personally I'd prefer to take a chance on another hand, would be interesting to hear others' views on this hand.

Re: Rounders........... Man im killinng myself today. Was up in the final level of the Ladder/Rounders tournament. over 8000 chips with 4 left. 3 places play. Guy to my right on 3000 and the others on about 2000. Blinds are 200/400. Should have been assured 3rd. Made the mistake of playing a hand though, which got drawn out on, which sent me into a spiral that bumped me out in 4th. With the next level 800 blinds forcing the small stacks to play I coulda just folded and folded and folded and still been almost assured some money. Im mean i sucked out big time at a crital stage so I wont bemoan the outdraw so much as the fact that i even tried to play at all with anything less than AA KK QQ or AK. Didnt need to. Shouldnt have. Payed the price. BUmmer :(

• 1 month later...

Re: Rounders........... OK I've just started playing these on bet365, started at the lowest level just to see for myself the standard etc, ive now won a level 1 and a two level 2s so I plan on starting the level 3s to try and build up some tokens for the 5th level (as was posted a while back by Norfolk). Where does it tell me how many tokens/buyins for the next level I have though? Ive been looking aroiund the menu options etc but cant find iany details. Any ideas?

Re: Rounders...........

OK I've just started playing these on bet365, started at the lowest level just to see for myself the standard etc, ive now won a level 1 and a two level 2s so I plan on starting the level 3s to try and build up some tokens for the 5th level (as was posted a while back by Norfolk). Where does it tell me how many tokens/buyins for the next level I have though? Ive been looking aroiund the menu options etc but cant find iany details. Any ideas?
Cains is right, Oskar. Tokens don`t appear your real balance, I think the only time you see them is when you click to buy into a level and your available tokens is shown then.

Re: Rounders........... This really aroused my interest....so I'm playing my first one now, except it's on Party Poker - so it isn't called Rounders and it isn't called ladders - they call it steps - with different size steps available. I'm playing Mini Steps and the odds look quite promising..... On Step 1 - only first place goes to step 2, but places 2 to 5 get another go and place 6 (almost) gets their money back. So only 7-10 go out. On Step 2 - 1-2 go to step 3, 3-5 get to try Step 2 again, 6-9 get back into step 1 and only last place goes out and so on....... Full details here - http://www.partypoker.com/news/events/mini-steps-05.html

Re: Rounders........... Hmph - Stupid game!!!!! lol - finished 6th (almost) got my money back. The games are VERY tight - a lot tighter than I'm used to..... (noone goes all in first hand!!) Giving it another bash..... You on Round 2 with Party Poker? That means you came first in Round 1 - nice one.