When to move up a limit

mrmuzeman

When should you move up to the next limit when playing cash games? Ive only been playing for a few days at 0.25/0.50 so obviously not looking to move up to 0.50/1.00 yet! :lol But Itd be good to know when it would generally perceived a good idea to move up a limit. Just to have a specific target of profit if anything. Ive heard that you should have anywhere between 10-50 buy ins depending on what different people have said. On Ladbrokes the buy in for 0.50/1.00 is $100. Therefore that would mean id need to make $1000-$5000 profit at 0.25/0.50. Is this right, because it seems like an awful lot to make at a low limit to me! Bare in mind im just playing at 0.25/0.50 without a bankroll as such, im just playing and keeping records on how I do. I dont have a specific bankroll such as $500 already or anything, just the $200 or so that is in my account already.

Re: When to move up a limit People always go on about bankroll + it really is important. If your bankroll is not adequate you WILL lose it - NL Hold'em is that volatile. Personally (playing at $1/$2) my bankroll is hovering somewhere between 10-15 buy-ins at the moment. Even with that much I could easily go bust. I've said in other threads I'm planning to go full time at some point - I won't do that until I have at least 50 buy-ins (ie 5000xBB). So the answer to your question - in theory you should wait until you have at least 10 buy-ins before playing those particular limits. In practice - I've built up my current bankroll playing $1/$2 from 1 buy in. But obviously that's risky, beecause you have to get a good start. It all depends on whether you are prepared for the possibilty of going bust.

Re: When to move up a limit I would say Mr M the most important point to take on board when thinking about bankroll is just how much you can lose in a bad run. You might think 3000 is an awful lot to have to have behind you to play 100 dollar buy in games but the truth of the matter is a run of bad beats can easily wipe that out in no time. Many people think they are singled out by the fickle hand of fate to be the unlucky ones when they have a few bad beats in a row...nothing could be further from the truth - EVERY decent player will go through a mind numbing period of disgusting outdraws that kills them financially several times in their career, the whole point of bankroll management is that you survive it with little real threat to your existance as a poker player. You probably have a replenishable bankroll (IE you could always redeposit if you went bust from your wages) so you dont have to tread quite as carefully as a pro with no other income - understanding the reasoning behind it is really all thats needed. Before you move up to the 100 dollar buy in games I would suggest you just have to feel comfortable winning or losing that much in one hand of poker, understand the potential losses and wins involved and have some good cash game experience at 0.25/0.50. To get this play for the summer at 0.25/0.5 and see how you feel/did at the end of it. The figures you quote are about right, I would say 20 * the max buy in would be about right...so yep 2000 for 0.5/1. It sounds like a lot I know but believe me its necessary! Jez

Re: When to move up a limit Cheers for thoughts Dave and Jez. I think I will play 0.25/0.50 until my 22nd birthday (September 3rd) and then assess it from there. Unless I get to $2000 profit before then.....I'll assess it on my 22nd then :lol