** April Poker League Result : 1st Like2Fish, 2nd McG, 3rd andybell666 **

Table Etiquette - Your Views

bobsyerunkle

Just wondering what the general opinion is regarding table manners and the slating ( or as in what you're about to read, ganging up to abuse someone on the table) which goes on. The following happened to me yesterday on Pacific but at least I had the last laugh. Playing a 20 seater $8 NL tourney, start stack 800 chips. First hand I'm in small blind, folded 2nd hand Everyone folds to me, with only sb and bb to go I call with my 10 3 suited Sb calls bb checks on flop I hit 2 more diamonds, possible flush, check, check, check, Turn rag, 1 bets minimum, 1 folds , I call (bear in mind I have gambled 40 out of my remaining 790 chips on this hand so far) River I hit my flush, figuring out my opponent probably has top pair at best, I bet 150 chips, he calls and mucks, my pot. Then the following occurs A - What the **** you calling with 10 3 for? A - ****in Idiot Me - For your information knobjockey, there was only me and the blinds it was worth a small bet , suited cards A - We love players like you, asshole, keep playing every suited hand, Then muppet B joins in B - Yeh, keep playin your Ace high til the river too, hehe, A - See you on the final table, yeh right , hehe B - We can't complain though, A, he's donating his money to the pot, hehe A - Yeh, he could have spent the money on a book on how to play poker, hehe Me - BTW, did I win the pot?? I just shut up then, I was wound up but not on the tilt, I just played very tight after that Though when muppet B went out I said ' One idiot down, one to go' Got to the final table with muppet A , I was chip leader, I let him steal my bb once, then when I was about 4 /1 chip stacked on him, I think he had about 2600 chips left he raised 1200 to steal my bb again, I had A9s and called him all in, a correct read as he folded straight away, but I had damaged him. A couple of hands later he went bust to another player, just scraping his $8 back, lost his rake though. Couldn't resist a 'See ya Champ' . LOVELY!! Went out in the head to head, had KJ ,he had A2 and hit a 2, but I got $40 , a nice profit of $31.20. Any thoughts, similar experiences with obnoxious yanks behaviour? Oh, the 10 3 s , not a hand I would have played if a couple had called b4 me, but for such a low percentage of my chip stack I didn't think it was too wrong, I certainly wouldn't have called with only 5 players left and BB 1000 chips, your thoughts please

Re: Table Etiquette - Your Views love it ! it seems a day doesnt go by without one of us coming up against a bolshy Yank who thinks he knows how the game should be played. Its funny, American players complain about Europeans (including Brits) coming over and not gambling enough in poker games ?!

Re: Table Etiquette - Your Views To be fair, with T3s I would either be folding or trying to steal the blinds by raising. But that's not really the point - I enjoy these outbursts from fellow players, especially if you then take a large number of their chips soon after.

Re: Table Etiquette - Your Views As Dave points out, these outbursts are good because they no longer thinking about the game. The amount of times when a yank(in particular this seems to be their habit)gets angry , slates you then reloads more cash. Loses it again , and reloads again.all the time his game suffering. Just sit back and laugh at them

Re: Table Etiquette - Your Views It seems all internet games are full of obnoxious yanks. I know it isn't quite the same but yahoo pool and euchre are full of them. I've stopped playing both now cause of foul-mouthed yanks that can't take losing.

Re: Table Etiquette - Your Views I agree. Americans think they are the best at it and they just wont have it when they lose. I went first time (and the last time :lol) on 2/4 at bet365. Got in with $30 and after couple of good hands I was up to 140. I got KQs. Someone called before me. I raised 10, two guys called but the one on BB raised another 20. I called, others folded. Flop 10 J K. I played for 15 , he raised to 30. Now here I probably should have folded, but sometimes you just got this urge, this feeling when emotions take over. I knew theres was many better hands he could have had, but I felt committed and decided Im not going to let go. I was playing against one of those cocky twats that had around 1k in his bank. Anyway some low card on the turn. I checked, he went for 20. I called. I swear to God, I never thought of making a straight, but yes, A came on the river. I checked, he played for the rest of my money and I called with all in. I took around 330 in that pot. Nooooow. The hell broke lose. I was attacked by this chap and two (his friends) other guys and was called all the names, with most popular one of course "fish". They were cursing me for about 10 minutes. Then first one was leaving saying: "bye and gl to all, apart from heniek, cause he has all the luck, but hes gonna lose all his money soon". I know many will disagree with my way of playing that hand, but if poker was all maths and calculations, there wont be any fun in it. I wont go to the higher tables again for a long time :o. PS forgot to say, this guy had JJ

Re: Table Etiquette - Your Views If they slag me off I just play back right at them. $5 stt somewhere, I flop a set on a 3 flush board, bet pot, get raised by Mr Cry Baby and think '**** him he's protecting his top pair' and go all in. He turns over a flush and my set is behind but I river a 3 and make a full house. Mr Cry Baby busts out and spends the next 5 minutes as an observer, slagging me off and saying he outplayed me (fair enough he did but I had 2000 chips and he was on the rails so i didn't care) He would not go away, presumably staying until i went out to stick the boot in. So hes still berating me and says 'Do you even know what a river is?!' 'Go cry me a river' I replied. He leaves :) Don't attempt this sort of thing without razor sharp wit. Or play well and avoid the situation altogether.

Re: Table Etiquette - Your Views Personally I don't bother replying to any of the bollocks that gets typed. If I got lucky then I know it ................ and will happily accept my good fortune (while hopefully learning a lesson) If it was good play rather than luck that allowed me to win the hand, then I have no intention of explaining my reasoning and helping my opponents become better players, its not really in my best interests. I'm a pretty laidback person and don't feel any need to justify myself to anyone at the table. So I'm quite indifferent to them bleating on about whatever "injustice" they have suffered- they can jabber on for the entire tournament and it won't bother me in the slightest.............. though some of it does give me a good laugh.:lol especially if you do it to them a second time :tongue2

Re: Table Etiquette - Your Views Wow its been a looooong time since I posted here. Okily On your initial point, ignore it. The single hardest thing to do in poker is check your emotions at the door. However what you need to realise is that the guys berating you probably have their head in check. They are trying to get you to make emotinal calls by questioning your play. Ignore it, and when you get a hand, a real hand, they will likely loose a lot of chips to you. On the hand its self id like to raise a few points if i may be so bold. As i think has been mentioned if you are going to play a hand on the button, especially goo like T3s you really want to raise to try and just pick up the blinds. If you dont raise you open yourself up to all sorts of problems. What exactly do you want to flop with T3s Unless your lucky enough to meet a player like the one you describe above who cant lay a hand down your either gonna win a tiny pot or worse loose all your chips when you get a little something 1) 3 pair is likely to be beaten 2) If you make a top pair ten and get action chances are your beaten 3) IF you flop a flush and get action your probably beaten by a bigger one 4) If you flop 33A and get action your either against 3 higher kicker, A3 or AA and so on.... And onto how the hand played out Ok so if you make your flush or house or trips or whatever the hand will probably good, but when you flat call the button, if the SB calls aswell and the BB declines to raise you have gotten 2/1 in the pot on your flat call. The odds of you making a full or flush are a lot lot longer than 2/1 here but ho hum your in. It goes check check. Your call for the minumum when bet was actually spot on. YOur odds of drawing a particular suit of a card on the next card are approx 4/1 and with three of you in, plus his bet, the pot would have been giving you this. So thats a perfect call. However I think your bet of 150 on the end was a huuuuuuuuuge mistake. As it happens you were lucky and got a guy to call with a worse hand but typically this will not be the case. Your bet was 150% of the pot. This guy was clearly a fool for calling but many poker players would recognise the flush there, and your bet is so large they can only call if they are beating you... Lets look as some possible scenarios on the end, baring obvious idiots like this guy who called anyway. 1) You bet 150, he reads you for a flush, he folds, and you win no more money 2) You bet 150, he has the better but non nut flush and calls and you spunk 150 more than you needed to. bet you wish you checked now 3) You bet 150 and he reraises you all in. Oh shit, I really bet you wish you checked now! And wow ive gone on for ages. Sorry. Um in short yeah the guy was an ass :)