Flat Racing Saturday 4th July (Inc. Scoop 6)

Eclipse is the feature but I'll only have a bet if the 5 runners are kept in so I'll wait a while until perhaps writing about Cougar Mountain each way. I'm not hanging about with my bet on the 'charge' though. 2.00 Sandown Coral Charge Lots of potential improvers here at bigger odds, the one I like the most is Son Of Africa under James Doyle who looks quite unexposed and despite having about 15 pounds to find on ratings can make his presence felt. However there's a horse in here that I wanted to back in an Ascot Group 1 but she was withdrawn and that was Mecca's Angel. 5 furlongs is her trip and the trainer thinks she wants non-firm ground (I think he's done well enough on fast ground), the going is described as good and despite the hot English weather there's a bit of rain forecast between now and then so I'm confident the ground can be retained. Mecca's Angel carries a Group 3 winner penalty but carried that same penalty when winning a Longchamp Group 3 easily last time against opposition as good as he faces here and could outclass his opponents. 2 months is a fair bit of time off for a sprinter but when fresh he's been good to go. Waady is a threat after his C&D success last time but I think Mecca's Angel is one of the best around and with a career strike rate of 7 for 12 and 3 for 7 in stakes I'm very happy to take the short odds about a consistent horse. Mecca's Angel win 7/2 Paddy Power NRNB BOG.

3.45 Sandown Eclipse Golden Horn is the hot favourite here and it's easy to see why. Don't think 7/2 about The Grey Gatsby is brilliant, I'd be pretty surprised if he won however unlucky he was at Ascot. This would be a tough task for Tullius even at his peak, which he's been very far from this year. Western Hymn ran really well last time but to even have place claims big improvement is required. I really like Cougar Mountain here. They can't seem to find a trip long enough for him and he finished his Ascot race so well that if he raced Solow over tomorrow's trip he'd have a very lively chance, and I don't think Golden Horn is that much better than Solow. Each way is the way to go in this race. Cougar Mountain each way 12/1 Paddy Power.

Scoop 6 Races – Saturday July 4th This weeks Tote Scoop6 comes from three meetings. The main action is at Sandown, the three races from there include the Coral Challenge, which is also the Bonus race at 2.35. 108 lucky winners from last week will be chasing the Bonus of £198,286 and the win fund will start at just under £80,000. We have two top races from Haydock and one from Beverley making up the sextet. Leg 1: 2.00 Sandown Park The opening leg is the Coral Charge, a 5f sprint and a low number is usually vital to have any chance here. Mecca’s Angel is drawn in stall 8 of the 12 runners which is not perfect but you cant get away from the form she showed last time out in France. Will need the ground to ease to show her best though. Stepper Point might go well at a big price but one to watch out for is the progressive Waady from the Gosden yard. Won three from four this season, has won here at Sandown three times, doesn’t mind the ground and is drawn well in the four box. Selection: Waady 3/1 Skybet (Stepper Point) Leg 2: 2.15 Haydock Park The Lancashire Oaks kicks off the action from Haydock and we have ten runners declared at the moment. The ground has softened up since declaration time so you need to be careful here and go for versatile sorts. Last years winning yard saddle Criteria, she has failed to shine this season so far but showed more last time out and could be nearing her peak now. Miss Marjurie is a C/D winner and boasts the highest rating, she is unbeaten this season but this is tougher. Luca Cumani often does well here at Haydock and his Jordan Princess could be one to include in forecasts. Selection: Criteria 8/1 Coral (Jordan Princess) Leg 3: 2.35 Sandown Park (Bonus Race) The Coral Challenge is a Class 2 handicap over a mile and a tough puzzle for the Bonus seekers. The Godolphin representative Basem will be popular after his C/D win last month, he mugged Jacob Black on the line that day and there wont be much between the pair again here. It’s interesting that Ryan Moore rides the top weight Spark Plug for the first time. He fell when making headway in the Hunt Cup last time out, Moore went on to win that race on Gm Hopkins and obviously thinks that’s decent form. He’s drawn next to the rail, which is a nice bonus too. Selection: Spark Plug 7/1 >BetVictor (Jacob Black) Leg 4: 2.50 Haydock Park The Old Newton Cup is a tough handicap to win and the trends will tell us you ideally need a 4yo carrying less than 9st trained by Luca Cumani. Well, step forward Penhill who fits all of that criteria. Won first time out for the yard at Ascot and then last time flopped when heavily backed at Newmarket after failing to settle. This big field should help and remains well handicapped. Of those higher up in the weights I like the Johnston horse Watersmeet and his other runner Notarised could go well at a big price. Selection: Penhill 7/2 Ladbrokes (Notarised) Leg 5: 3.00 Beverley A competitive 5f sprint here with the usual help of the draw bias at Beverley. Low numbers are required on decent ground and last year’s winner Thatcherite looks a good place to start. He missed the break last time out but made up some nice late headway showing he’s in good nick and although will need luck in running should be ideally placed on the far rail. Flash City and Singeur are the pick of those with recent winning form while the 9yo Noodles Blue Boy has been running well of late and is a C/D winner. Selection: Thatcherite 10/1 Paddy Power (Noodles Blue Boy) Leg 6: 3.10 Sandown Park The final leg is a Fillies Listed contest over a mile and the recent C/D winner Black Cherry will be hard to beat. She sprinted away to win by an easy 5 lengths that day and now takes a big step up in class here. The highest rated filly is Jellicle Ball, she was only 12th in the Guineas but her fourth last time at Ascot behind Osaila looks good enough to take this. Of the others both Blond Me and Iconic won Salisbury maidens in good style and could be anything and could sneak into the frame at decent odds. Selection: Jellicle Ball 11/4 >William Hill (Black Cherry)

235 sand sohaafy 99.37 your fired 99.33 spark plug 99.15 tricky race but top two are slightly ahead of the field ....isnt as cut and dry as that as both are coming here on back of poorish runs in big hcaps but excuses can easily be made for both so hopefully they will bounce back to full form in this better race ...still no easy race with ryan moore on spark plug but I have a feeling that one is looking exposed now and has it to do ...27 points carrying over from fridays winner so ill split stakes between top two and hope we get a good run sahaafy 19.1 points win 6/1 lads your fired 7.85 points win 16/1 corals approx 106 pts profit any winner

235 sand sohaafy 99.37 your fired 99.33 spark plug 99.15 tricky race but top two are slightly ahead of the field ....isnt as cut and dry as that as both are coming here on back of poorish runs in big hcaps but excuses can easily be made for both so hopefully they will bounce back to full form in this better race ...still no easy race with ryan moore on spark plug but I have a feeling that one is looking exposed now and has it to do ...27 points carrying over from fridays winner so ill split stakes between top two and hope we get a good run sahaafy 19.1 points win 6/1 lads your fired 7.85 points win 16/1 corals approx 106 pts profit any winner
your fired non runner ..stake on spark plug instead

2.50 Haydock Elbereth to me looks the most likely winner, coped with a softer surface two runs back at Brighton and won very well at Epsom last time. The way he idled in front suggested he may have been value for more than the margin of victory, and the form worked out well with the second going close in a top handicap off 4 pounds higher. Elbereth was raised 8 pounds and looks progressive to me, with his new mark of 94 still giving him room for improvement. Great Hall's seasonal reappearance was very good and suggested he may have trained on from 4 to 5. Generally races on a firmer surface but has coped well with good to soft in the past. Very consistent horse with good place claims and may have the improvement in him for the win. Elbereth 12/1 and Great Hall 16/1 e/w betfred.

Poor flat afternoon but one for the evening. Belmont 10.46 Lady Eli is an absolute class act and tough to take on for win purposes while Spanish Queen is also a decent horse who should be thereabouts. However I really like Aidan O'Brien's horse, Outstanding. Convincing winner of a weak maiden, the horse was a big price when comfortably beating some very useful opponents at Naas over this trip, making all. Really looks like a horse who can be thereabouts tonight and with Aidan training it's a big possibility she can get the improvement required to win. Sometimes it feels like it's more a second string of Aidan's that gets sent abroad but that's no slight on Outstanding, as he already has two middle distance group 1 winning 3 year old fillies and another in Words who looks a hot prospect. Outstanding 6/1 Paddy Power each way